Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,840 members, 7,866,267 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 02:06 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (473) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11962972 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (470) (471) (472) (473) (474) (475) (476) ... (16374) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:36pm On Jan 20, 2017
tglobal:

Amuneke's first match i remember was in a 4-0 victory over Sudan in April 93. 1993 Matches as I remember them:

1. AFCON qualifier against Sudan (90 mins action for Amuneke)
2. WC qualifier against IVC in Abidjan (Amuneke featured, but not sure if he started)
3. WC qualifier against Algeria in Lagoa (90mins for Amuneke)
4. AFCON qualifier against Uganda in Kampala (90 Mins for Amuneke)
5. AFCON against Ethiopia in Lagos (90 mins and MOTM performance)
6. WC against IVC in Lagos (came in for okocha in the 2nd half)
7. WC qualifier ALG in Teslem (Started the game but I think got injured)

Amuneke was an integral part of the team but we had so much stars in 94 that he didn't get to start until the finals. Even Finidi didnt taste action until the group stages.

Also, we had 2 teams in 1993. The foreign based professionals prosecuted the WC qualifiers while the AFCON qualifiers were predominantly prosecuted by home based and untested foreign based players. Amuneke was the one player who featured regularly in both.

Nigerian football was so strong. Rufai was even part of team B and Oliseh didn't even get to play in the WCQ

Chop knuckles. This is golden. I appreciate this a lot.

So are you saying the Sudan game was his first match. If it is, Westerhof played Amunike in a qualifier despite him not having experience in a team that already had star players.

That is my point.

Nice post.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:42pm On Jan 20, 2017
tglobal:

Amuneke's first match i remember was in a 4-0 victory over Sudan in April 93. 1993 Matches as I remember them:

2. WC qualifier against IVC in Abidjan (Amuneke featured, but not sure if he started)

Amuneke was an integral part of the team but we had so much stars in 94 that he didn't get to start until the finals. Even Finidi didnt taste action until the group stages.

Also, we had 2 teams in 1993. The foreign based professionals prosecuted the WC qualifiers while the AFCON qualifiers were predominantly prosecuted by home based and untested foreign based players. Amuneke was the one player who featured regularly in both.

Nigerian football was so strong. Rufai was even part of team B and Oliseh didn't even get to play in the WCQ

What I liked most about Westerhof's time was that, no player was safe. He showed the World that Nigeria was blessed with abundantly gifted players and players needed to keep their game up.

I see the same thing happening now. Prolific Nigerian players are coming out in different roles. We need to keep that competition by making no position safe and let the other players know that, if you can play better than any on the squad, you can take their place. Irrespective of age, club status or base country.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tglobal(m): 4:43pm On Jan 20, 2017
Started following the Eagles passionately (lost my passion now) in 1993. So honestly cant tell if he featured before then or not. However, I know he was also a member of the bronze winning Cairo 91 All African Games team and he also won the Sekou Toure cup with Zamalek that year. I would say he was already an experienced professional before playing for the Eagles
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 4:50pm On Jan 20, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I disagree. safarigirl keeps the fifty percent Bounty and does what she wants with it. Better deal for me.
Bros, which one be your own na? Dey talk Amunike dey go tongue Make she talk fess.

lakesidepapa, where you dey na?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 4:52pm On Jan 20, 2017
i think we are referring to national team. courtois and de gea were doing well over a period of time for their clubs before they broke into their respective national teams. it even took a while before de gea became spanish no.1 even when cassilas was chopping 6 from the netherlands in brazil 2014 del bosque didn't rush and drop him for de gea next game. courtois was\is a very exceptional gk playing for top teams like athletico and chelsea so it would have been easier to break into the belgian national team who do not have remarkable gk.
TheGoodJoe:

Courtois and De Gea were doing well at 18 because coaches believed in their abilities and gave them a chance.

However, if for instance, Alampasu is the Super Eagles no. 1 goalie, clubs and coaches will have the motivation to try him.

It is about the platform to show what you can do. That is why I will support searching for the best. Courtois, De Gea, Cassilas got to where they reached at a young age because of someone not looking at their ages but their abilities. We need to develop that culture of giving our best players the right push at a young age.

The clubs can not do this easily for us.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:10pm On Jan 20, 2017
joseph1013:

Bros, which one be your own na? Dey talk Amunike dey go tongue Make she talk fess.

lakesidepapa, where you dey na?

LOLS. Beware.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 5:12pm On Jan 20, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

The point is better. Cassilas became the National keeper when it was clear he was the best. Not experience.

Canizares had more experience but Casillas was better. Just like now, De Gea is the best. Not Valdes or Reina or any young Spanish keeper. Adrian, Asenjo etc.

Think Best. In clubs to country, it is a search for the best.

When we think in that perspective, we scrutinize better. When a coach is not sure who is the best, he needs to scrutinize them closely in training and make up his mind who is the best.

Nigeria believed in Oliseh before top clubs did. Sometimes, the country takes the lead. Africans have a tough time getting clubs to give them a chance to prove themselves. Look at how Girona treated Chidi Nwakali. Left him on bench all through the time he was there despite his top quality.
Cassillas was not invited to camp from a 3div club to come fight for shirt, I don't want to go into the experience or not part of the discussion
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:15pm On Jan 20, 2017
chrisooblog:
i think we are referring to national team. courtois and de gea were doing well over a period of time for their clubs before they broke into their respective national teams. it even took a while before de gea became spanish no.1 even when cassilas was chopping 6 from the netherlands in brazil 2014 del bosque didn't rush and drop him for de gea next game. courtois was\is a very exceptional gk playing for top teams like athletico and chelsea so it would have been easier to break into the belgian national team who do not have remarkable gk.

I think Spain is a better reference point. When De Gea was at Atletico, he was not the best Spanish keeper. Reina and Casillas were clearly better. Even by the UEFA Cup finals, De Gea was not better than Casillas or Reina. As for Valdes, I am not sure who was better.

Over time, we. Can say now that De Gea is better than them.

The player for each role should be the best.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:18pm On Jan 20, 2017
zicky:
Cassillas was not invited to camp from a 3div club to come fight for shirt, I don't want to go into the experience or not part of the discussion

We Africans and the Europeans, especially from top footballing nations do not have the same opportunities. If Alampasu with his talent was English or Spanish, he would not be were he is now. He would be in a better club. Sometimes, the National team help push their quality players.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:21pm On Jan 20, 2017
tglobal:

The phrase that brought in Amunike's talk was National team regulars. I want us to think best in each role.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 5:35pm On Jan 20, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

We Africans and the Europeans, especially from top footballing nations do not have the same opportunities. If Alampasu with his talent was English or Spanish, he would not be were he is now. He would be in a better club. Sometimes, the National team help push their quality players.
If I remember very well, Dea gea was in goal for Spain at the 2007 U-17 world cup and it took him close to 7yrs to come close to the senior national and you could see the growth,not alampasu of 2013 with no significant improvement.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:40pm On Jan 20, 2017
zicky:
If I remember very well, Dea gea was in goal for Spain at the 2007 U-17 world cup and it took him close to 7yrs to come close to the senior national and you could see the growth,not alampasu of 2013 with no significant improvement.

De Gea had Cassillas, Vitor Valdes and Pepe Reina holding the top three spots. It is not the same case with the Super Eagles
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:44pm On Jan 20, 2017
zicky:

From Wiki

In early May 2010, courtesy of solid Atlético performances, he was named by senior squad manager Vicente del Bosque in a provisional 30-man squad for the 2010 FIFA World Cup; however, he did not make the final cut.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 6:21pm On Jan 20, 2017
joseph1013:

I hereby solemnly declare to donate 50% of whatever I win in this transaction to anyone in need. The said person to be chosen by safarigirl. Fair enough?

This is too good a deal to turn down.
na me even need the money pass, I fit use am help some of these girls wey their property burn finish and nobody wan answer them for school.

Thegoodjoe has suggested wisely grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 6:23pm On Jan 20, 2017
Somebody please explain to me, why DR Congo is winning Ivory Coast undecided

*Modified*

Scores are even now, much better grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:43pm On Jan 20, 2017
Rumors have it that Guardiola will let Aguero leave Manchester City. One of the most lethal strikers in the history of the EPL.

Guardiola had dinner at a restaurant with Aguero and his Representative and he did not look happy with Aguero. Suspect, China.

Pic Below. First is Guardiola at dinner with Aguero and his Representative.

First Pic = Guardiola breaks up with his old lover.
Second pic = Guardiola with his new lover.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:44pm On Jan 20, 2017
What ever happens, I hope it favors Iheanacho.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:45pm On Jan 20, 2017
Never underestimate the men from the land of kinshasa.... wink

Like us, they have a great WCQ start and they entered this afcon in such form.

safarigirl:
Somebody please explain to me, why DR Congo is winning Ivory Coast undecided

*Modified*

Scores are even now, much better grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:53pm On Jan 20, 2017
*smh* still duelling with those gloves I got you late last year?

I can see why Yara Yara didn't meet you the last time he visited on my account. grin

TheGoodJoe:

Nice break down and on point. However, after Alampasu's reviews, I hope he gets his chance soon.

I hope we continue our winning streak in the qualifiers, so we can qualify early and give the young promising players chances to prove themselves.

Drops leg and removes Kung-fu shoes.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:00pm On Jan 20, 2017
Huh!! Sir Joseph1013 and Sir Lakedsidepapa?? 60K? Senegal?? Chaiiii... I know that Mane and co will attract wives now coz of their Afcon form...... smiley

60k? Hian... Okay oooo.... I am sorry doing mine late... Happy new year to all in the house. smiley

Safarigirl... Guess I finally felt up to it.... Been really busy shaa.... But yeah... I'm returning little by little... smiley

safarigirl:
na me even need the money pass, I fit use am help some of these girls wey their property burn finish and nobody wan answer them for school.

Thegoodjoe has suggested wisely grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:05pm On Jan 20, 2017
Happy new year Sir AIG07.... smiley

AIG07:

the seedings all boils down to fifa ranking prior to d draw... So it depends on where d power house nations are on d rank. The best way to avoid this scenario is to be ranked in d first 10 in africa.

Make yara yara turn on it's super radar in search for TheSuperNerd.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:11pm On Jan 20, 2017
Heard Big Brother Joseph asked after me...... smiley

I'm sorry.... I've been occupied and I still am (really super engaged)... I just wanted to ensure I waited for my mid-january kickoff of my research scholarships for this year and also to put a lotta things in order for work and studies and more before I made my debut this year...

Please bear with me Sir... Happy new year and Wishing you a fantastic 2017.

joseph1013:
safarigirl, thegoodjoe Any idea where thesupernerd is?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:22pm On Jan 20, 2017
Sir "legend" Tbaba1234, Sir "Arch guardian" Icon4s, Sir Chrisooblog, Sir Lakedsidepapa, Sir Mickael2, Sir BascoVanVeli, Sir Goldfish80, Sir Terzurum5, Sir Orkepekyandega, Sir Kingphillip, Sir Forgiveness (does he still give anyone trouble?) grin , Sir "Elder" Kog45 (oga ehn... That 1984 revelation still dey my mind... Chaiii...), Madam Confun, Sir Tglobal, Sir Chriskels, Sir Blackalbino6, Sir Komekn, Sir ... Who again? **scratches head**

Note: pls bear with me as I typed these names entirely offhand... Without pausing for reference to any thing...

Oh yes... Sir BigBlangston... (Always on my case) grin

I wonder where Sir Maastricht is.... Hmmm...

Anyway.... Happy new year to you all.... Yes it is bloody late but I can't just return to the house without saying hello for the year... wink

God bless y'all

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:41pm On Jan 20, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Never underestimate the men from the land of kinshasa.... wink

Like us, they have a great WCQ start and they entered this afcon in such form.

so, you're still around.

Nno....o'tego anyi na cho gi.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 8:06pm On Jan 20, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Sir "legend" Tbaba1234, Sir "Arch guardian" Icon4s, Sir Chrisooblog, Sir Lakedsidepapa, Sir Mickael2, Sir BascoVanVeli, Sir Goldfish80, Sir Terzurum5, Sir Orkepekyandega, Sir Kingphillip, Sir Forgiveness (does he still give anyone trouble?) grin , Sir "Elder" Kog45 (oga ehn... That 1984 revelation still dey my mind... Chaiii...), Madam Confun, Sir Tglobal, Sir Chriskels, Sir Blackalbino6, Sir Komekn, Sir ... Who again? **scratches head**

Note: pls bear with me as I typed these names entirely offhand... Without pausing for reference to any thing...

Anyway.... Happy new year to you all.... Yes it is bloody late but I can't just return to the house without saying hello for the year... wink

God bless y'all
Hello TheSuperNerd. Welcome back

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:19pm On Jan 20, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

God bless y'all
My man u are welcome.Happy to have u back.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 8:55pm On Jan 20, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

God bless y'all

I sight you
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lazyerudite: 9:19pm On Jan 20, 2017
Kog45:
Honestly your philosophy on camping is over exaggerated,d efficiency of camping is always for academy or under age like U 17 or U 20 but senior team,camping is just to fix grey areas,for instance Eagles Right full back position or DM where w now have Ndidi and Onazi competing coz it w hard for Rohr to decide on whom to pick.

The senior team like national team is not a place where u throw everything open for grab,a good coach must have his first eleven to his chest,though one or two player might pull surprise by breaking into d team e.g.Etebo against Algeria.

No matter what happened before Cameroon match,i can tell u that 90% of those who prosecuted Algeria match w make d team.So camping sometimes in d senior team doesn't give rooms like under age camping where u are looking for d best.

On goalkeeping aspect,if i may ask u do u think Ikeme convinced Olishe during camping?NO.Olishe already see Ikeme as his No 1 choice irrespective of Enyeama performance in camp.Guardiola came in and said Bravo is d No1 over Hart,Mourinho rate Coutious over Chec,this decision is personal not camp decision.

It was on this thread i said it took Super Eagles goalkeeper trainer to 2002 W/C who was my university coach just 15 mins to rate Enyeama than Ejide,so sometimes camping does it in d senior team when u are having issues.

Alampasu is a young talented keeper coming up with a great prospect and wit time he w reach their but for now Super Eagles number 1 is not for a keeper keeping in Portuguese div 3,is an insult to our national team.
It is this kind of situation that lead to the gap the okochas and kanus left behind. We don't believe in giving youths the chance to prove themselves, if not for the vision of the coach people like iheanach and iwobi will not be ripe enough, the talented no 1s will fade out. We need to continuously invite young ones and try them. Remember that the real ages of these players is questionable. So we are bound to create another gap after these ones age

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lazyerudite: 9:47pm On Jan 20, 2017
Sometimes we speak as if we have so many talented goalkeepers out there. What club does Ikeme as for sef? We don't have that much talents abound o. If we are waiting for a goal keeper who will face Barça etc we will wait for ages, even our outfield players are struggling to get shirt in their clubs let alone keepers. I don't care what club you play for, can you offer the super eagles what we need. If so, kindly come and showcase your talent. Look closely, most our players don't even play 90mins for their clubs. We need to make do with what we have

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:51pm On Jan 20, 2017
Lazyerudite:

It is this kind of situation that lead to the gap the okochas and kanus left behind. We don't believe in giving youths the chance to prove themselves, if not for the vision of the coach people like iheanach and iwobi will not be ripe enough, the talented no 1s will fade out. We need to continuously invite young ones and try them. Remember that the real ages of these players is questionable. So we are bound to create another gap after these ones age
The discussion is on Alampasu,is he ready for Eagles challenge.Pls read my post very well,am not against young ones coming up or making d team but not a player playing in div 3 in Europe.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 10:08pm On Jan 20, 2017
Lazyerudite:

i couldn't stop laughing when I came across the word 'Ripe' for ur post.

I think d last time I heard t was during Oliseh's era. When our young promising talents mostly especially (Kelechi, Success etc) becomes fruit that needs to be given time to ripe even after their various clubs have been making juice out of them.
Our local coaches need to upgrade their approach to d game.

Nonetheless, in d line of bringing in young players into d National team we must not forget to prioritize players club performance, d quality of league division de play in.

This is the National Team- no room for experimentation.

Happy to have u back @TheSuperNerd.
*gives him a firm handshake with a smile*

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:13pm On Jan 20, 2017
Lazyerudite:
Sometimes we speak as if we have so many talented goalkeepers out there. What club does Ikeme as for sef? We don't have that much talents abound o. If we are waiting for a goal keeper who will face Barça etc we will wait for ages, even our outfield players are struggling to get shirt in their clubs let alone keepers. I don't care what club you play for, can you offer the super eagles what we need. If so, kindly come and showcase your talent. Look closely, most our players don't even play 90mins for their clubs. We need to make do with what we have

This is not exactly accurate..

Iwobi, Balogun, Ekong, Ikeme, Onazi,Etebo, Moses, Omeruo... 8 of the starting 11 in our last game are regulars at their clubs..

As regards talented keepers, Ikeme, Nwokolor, Alampasu, Francis Uzoho, Emmanuel Daniel.. Some of these keepers are far from being ready but they can understudy Ikeme for the next 5 years.

We have amazing talents abound.. Watching Gent's match at the moment with Samuel Kalu, Ekong and Moses starting..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (470) (471) (472) (473) (474) (475) (476) ... (16374) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: babytoun, Ikanium(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.