Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,370 members, 7,836,500 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:56 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (5011) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11787982 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5008) (5009) (5010) (5011) (5012) (5013) (5014) ... (16196) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 5:58pm On Oct 29, 2018
semi ajayi plays in the midfield for rotherdam sometime. make we no dey criticize everything we see abeg. if you tink say u sabi pass rohr go get ur coaching badges
wayodude:
if one of our midfield gets injured or is off form on the day, we go manage abi?

we shall see

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:01pm On Oct 29, 2018
Danielnino00:

Is this for real?

Why's Mikel missing again?

And just 3 midfielders?
I thought Onazi is back from injury..

For real. It's on goal.com now. Ndidi is suspended remember. Mikel most likely asked to be excused. Even if ebere is invited, not enough time to make the switch from England to 9ja. Shehu injured maybe onazi hasn't fully recovered.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 6:03pm On Oct 29, 2018
u get time dey answer them cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Taliban:

For real. It's on goal.com now. Ndidi is suspended remember. Mikel most likely asked to be excused. Even if ebere is invited, not enough time to make the switch from England to 9ja. Shehu injured maybe onazi hasn't fully recovered.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sadiqali24(m): 6:03pm On Oct 29, 2018
Truidstar:

Jamilu Collins is the real deal. Looking at how that left back position has evolved from 1994 to date, Jamilu has the potential.

Iroha

Babayaro

Udeze

Taiwo

Echiejele

Forgotten the left back during 2014 world cup(oshaniwa)

Echiejele

Idowu

Collins
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chiscodedon(m): 6:09pm On Oct 29, 2018
Truidstar:

Fake news!!!
Like seriously...? Are you for real...?
Don't know your age though, but surprised at this time of modern age one could start shouting fake without first trying to verify. Na waoh

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chiscodedon(m): 6:10pm On Oct 29, 2018
Truidstar:

Jamilu Collins is the real deal. Looking at how that left back position has evolved from 1994 to date, Jamilu has the potential.

Iroha

Babayaro

Udeze

Taiwo

Echiejele

Forgotten the left back during 2014 world cup

Echiejele

Idowu

Collins
2014 world Cup, Oshaniwa was our left back
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zoboizee: 6:12pm On Oct 29, 2018
Personally, Rohr has never been a good coach to me. He's more reactionary than proactive in reading the game. He has so many people doing simple things for him yet he's so slow in decision making. Eagles inability to string two-three passes together in forward movement from defence to attack is as a result of his coaching deficiency & choice of players. When it's dawn on Nff they will get rid of him. And ifeanyi ubah's influence in players like ezenwa & adeleye will not bring in the best of the local lads. But how on earth is it so quick for the coach's scout to spot the exploits of Osimhen & Chukwueze of late but difficult to see an equally left-footed winger like Eduok .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:12pm On Oct 29, 2018
These are my thoughts on the list.

Samuel Chukwueze and Osimhen are welcome additions. Samu is already getting some first team action with Villarreal and Osimhen is in good form. These two players are closer to being ready for the super eagles than the Nwakali brothers. They are unlikely to start though and would be lucky to even make the match day squad.

Awaziem lack of first team action has cost him his place. Why do we have 5 CBs? I would have thought Ajayi, Omeruo, Balogun and Ekong was ok.

Midfield looks thin but it is mainly DMs/CMs anyway. Iwobi will play in the advanced role and Ajayi is no stranger to playing at DM.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:15pm On Oct 29, 2018
zoboizee:
Personally, Rohr has never been a good coach to me. He's more reactionary than proactive in reading the game. He has so many people doing simple things for him yet he's so slow in decision making. Eagles inability to string two-three passes together in forward movement from defence to attack is as a result of his coaching deficieny & choice of players. When it's dawn on Nff they will get rid of him. And ifeanyi ubah's influence in players like ezenwa & adeleye will not bring in the best of the local lads. But how on earth is it so quick for the coach's scout to spot the exploits of Osimhen & Chukwueze of late but difficult to see an equally left-footed winger like Eduok .

Eduok in my opinion is not that good.

Rohr overall has done well. We qualified for the WC and are on the verge of qualifying for the nations cup after missing it twice.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 6:19pm On Oct 29, 2018
no be must say u go post something sad
zoboizee:
Personally, Rohr has never been a good coach to me. He's more reactionary than proactive in reading the game. He has so many people doing simple things for him yet he's so slow in decision making. Eagles inability to string two-three passes together in forward movement from defence to attack is as a result of his coaching deficiency & choice of players. When it's dawn on Nff they will get rid of him. And ifeanyi ubah's influence in players like ezenwa & adeleye will not bring in the best of the local lads. But how on earth is it so quick for the coach's scout to spot the exploits of Osimhen & Chukwueze of late but difficult to see an equally left-footed winger like Eduok .

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:27pm On Oct 29, 2018
chiscodedon:
Finally Chukwueze made the list... Take it easy with Rohr.
Osimehn must have been inform to make the list.... Haven't been following his progress in his new club lately... But why just 3 midfielders..? Nice to see Agu back, the dude hasn't really been given time in GWG
Who's Adeleye..?

Chai! Le godi midfielders oooo!!! Anyway, we wish for the best. We just have to tie or beat South Africa.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 6:29pm On Oct 29, 2018
charlesemeka85:
semi ajayi plays in the midfield for rotherdam sometime. make we no dey criticize everything we see abeg. if you tink say u sabi pass rohr go get ur coaching badges

We are light in midfield. This is a fact. Take it or leave it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:30pm On Oct 29, 2018
Triple KPOM!!!

And based on these two games alone, I can tentatively place Collins after Iroha and Babayaro. But it's still early days for Collins, let's see how he performs at the AFCON.

And by the way, the name you were missing was Juwon Oshaniwa (our LB in BRAZIL 2014).

O pari

Truidstar:

Iroha

Babayaro

Udeze

Taiwo

Echiejele

Echiejele

Idowu

Collins
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 6:32pm On Oct 29, 2018
safarigirl:
no be you been tell us last year say we no go fit beat Cameroon home and away for WCQ?

Abeg, list the great SA midfielders that will grind this out with us, let us also know where they were when Seychelles held them to a draw.

You people should Kponkpi..... The midfield is thin, but we go manage, as long as the coach knows what he is going for

Last year I predicted that we would not defeat Algeria, and well we did not did we? I can not recall anything connected to the Cameroon game at all.

The same SA midfielders that made our midfielders look like garbage last year are coming again. I bet you didn't even watch their game against Seychelles to see the number of chances that midfield created, like I said this will be a tough match
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Naijaphobia(m): 6:37pm On Oct 29, 2018
Is Rohr taking directives from Aso Rock? Why is the midfield so lifeless?.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:38pm On Oct 29, 2018
Icon79:
Triple KPOM!!!

And based on these two games alone, I can tentatively place Collins after Iroha and Babayaro. But it's still early days for Collins, let's see how he performs at the AFCON.

And by the way, the name you were missing was Juwon Oshaniwa (our LB in BRAZIL 2014).

O pari

Taye taiwo, Babayaro and Iroha.

Collins is just starting.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:39pm On Oct 29, 2018
Mickael2:

Last year I predicted that we would not defeat Algeria, and well we did not did we? I can not recall anything connected to the Cameroon game at all.

The same SA midfielders that made our midfielders look like garbage last year are coming again. I bet you didn't even watch their game against Seychelles to see the number of chances that midfield created, like I said this will be a tough match

On paper it will be a tough match. Last year the South Africans bypassed our midfield by playing direct to Tokelo Rantie. They utilized our weakness...Long Balls. They are playing at home this time. The Southies are psychologically weak when it comes to Nigeria. Our strategy should be to get an early goal. We score early, watch them become a mess. The longer the match goes on without a goal, the more confident they will become. The Southies always choke though.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:42pm On Oct 29, 2018
Oga it’s up to the products to develop after passing through our youth system. We can’t be sentimental when it gets to the National team. The senior National team should be for proven and tested players and should not serve as an incubator for the stagnant products of our youth system.

Icon4s:

Yes ''Identify'' but not by pulling down the products of our Youths system.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:44pm On Oct 29, 2018
Yea, I wouldn't argue with that sha. TT did some serious damage for the Super Eagles especially when he was with Olympic M. What killed his career was that (ill advised) move to AC Milan.

O pari

tbaba1234:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 6:45pm On Oct 29, 2018
Mickael2:

last year is last year. This year is this year

Last year they made our team look like garbage, this year, they are drawing against Libya and Seychelles that we are winning with ease.

We did not need to defeat Algeria, it was a ceremonial match more or less, so, it is obviously not the same stakes.

Of course it will be a tough match, you don't need a soothsayer to tell you that, SA need the match, so, they will not make it easy.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 6:47pm On Oct 29, 2018
Taliban:

I wasn't expecting much addition to the list TBH.. Save.for d midfield,its a good list

Rohr's lineup for d game is predictable already. One of Ogu or Agu will replace Ndidi.

won't be surprised if its Agu...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:47pm On Oct 29, 2018
I think it’s a case of Billing VS Ogu. Both CMs and lefties
Earthquake1:
Philip Billing has a magnificent left foot kiss

If we invite him I don't care about Eze or any other person undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:49pm On Oct 29, 2018
Onazi has been playing, why was he not invited??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:50pm On Oct 29, 2018
Thank you tbaba
tbaba1234:
Akpoguma was very honest. His first choice is Germany but if Germany does not work then Nigeria.

Also, he wants to be fully committed if he plays for Nigeria

There is nothing wrong in what he said.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:53pm On Oct 29, 2018
Mikel has technically retired. Onazi is injured.

.... next question

O pari

krattoss:
no MIKEL no onazi..

I smell controversy.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:53pm On Oct 29, 2018
Has he played any game since Libya?

O pari

tbaba1234:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:54pm On Oct 29, 2018
tbaba1234:

Rohr might just be weeding out some players like play like play. I recall Westerhof between 1990-1994 used over 200 players before he settled for his final 23. Maybe the same route.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:57pm On Oct 29, 2018
The midfield is OK considering our options. Word on the street is that Mikel has semi-retired and I am not sure that Onazi is 100% fit yet. And I doubt if his club would agree to release him so soon after suffering injury.

My only concern is that we didn't invite Awazien who can play various positions. But all in all, you can only play with two DMs/CMs at a time. And we have 3, so we're well covered ... including one reserve grin

O pari

Danielnino00:

I wasn't expecting much addition to the list TBH.. Save.for d midfield,its a good list

Rohr's lineup for d game is predictable already. One of Ogu or Agu will replace Ndidi.

won't be surprised if its Agu...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:58pm On Oct 29, 2018
Oshaniwa
Truidstar:

Iroha

Babayaro

Udeze

Taiwo

Echiejele

Echiejele

Idowu

Collins
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:07pm On Oct 29, 2018
tbaba1234:

Even Udeze wasn't that bad. His performance with the SE earned him a contract in the EPL although he was poor in the EPL. Echejile too for crying out loud made that spot his own for several years if not that he failed to quit when the ovation was loudest.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 7:15pm On Oct 29, 2018
charlesemeka85:
no be must say u go post something sad
grin why na
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 7:17pm On Oct 29, 2018
Icon79:
Triple KPOM!!!

O pari

Taye Taiwo nko

(1) (2) (3) ... (5008) (5009) (5010) (5011) (5012) (5013) (5014) ... (16196) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Oasis007(m), Tessyy1701, Sugarboyy(m), lbrichman2 and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.