Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,014 members, 7,814,461 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:15 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (5014) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11638431 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5011) (5012) (5013) (5014) (5015) (5016) (5017) ... (16140) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 1:06am On Oct 30, 2018
Jada Fire is a damn good actress

IYKWIM wink
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 1:17am On Oct 30, 2018
junnyjake:
I seriously don't know how to react to this list.

But it's all good.
Rem the time Agu was always on the list but didn't play? Now I feel like those pushing for his inclusion have started pulling strings again. Cos that middle is really really thin. Gosh. Iwobi can join them and make us forget it was just three.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:32am On Oct 30, 2018
RB Leipzig are monitoring Ademola Lookman's future at Everton as he continues to tread water at Goodison Park.

The 21-year-old spent the second half of last term at the Red Bull Arena and enjoyed his first sustained run of games in one of Europe's top leagues.

In 11 Bundesliga outings he scored five goals and contributed four assists to help the club secure a sixth-place finish and qualification for the Europa League.

Everton fought off interest in Lookman, rejecting an offer from Leipzig during the summer transfer window, but his opportunities have been few and far between this term.

Manager Marco Silva is yet to select the winger to start a Premier League game this season, though he did begin the Carabao Cup clash with Southampton earlier in October.

He has made substitute appearances in each of the Toffees' last two top flight games, the 2-0 win over Crystal Palace and loss to Manchester United, and could be set for a long-run in the squad.

Leipzig have not been put-off by having a bid turned down in the summer and will continue to monitor his activity before possibly reigniting their interest.

“It’s clear how much affection we have for Ademola and I think from the way he performed here, the environment we created for him and the platform we gave him, he also enjoyed his time here," Leipzig's director of football Paul Mitchell told The Sun.

“And with a situation like that, we would always be open to revisiting, but you never know.

“At this moment he is an Everton player and he’s working with some really good people there.

“We know him and we will always keep a very close eye on his development because we see him as a Red Bull guy from his time here.

“But at the moment we just have to hope that he continues his progression as a footballer and let’s see what the future brings.”

Despite Silva showing little faith in Lookman, the coach accepts the former Charlton Athletic youngster has the talent to be a central part of Everton's future.

“First of all he has to understand that he is in a big club,” he said, prior to the start of the season.

“I think he understands and I’m here to be clear with him in this situation. Of course, we have to understand that he went on loan and was happy there, he enjoyed the football as well, and now he deserves to stay with us.

“I told him and our board on the first day that I believe in his skills and his profile. I did my technical analysis on him and he is a good talent. He is our present and our future. Now he has to fight for his position.

Article continues below
“I am here to do everything I can to make him happy again, to put him in the conditions to fight, and after that it is for him to keep his position and to fight to take it.

"It is not a case of we brought in Richarlison or Bernard as well [so they are ahead of him]. If he is in a better position and moment than the others then for sure he will play.”
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:39am On Oct 30, 2018
Derby County supporters have taken to Twitter to praise the performance of defender Fikayo Tomori, as the Chelsea loanee had arguably his best game of the season in the 1-1 draw at Middlesbrough.

The young central defender arrived at Pride Park in the summer on a season-long loan deal from the Blues, and some fans expressed concerned about his defensive abilities, as he struggled on his debut.

Best Footballer From EVERY Country in Asia
But since that 4-1 defeat to Leeds United, Tomori has been improving with each game. Over the past week, Tomori has dominated some of the Championship’s best strikers, including Dwight Gayle and Britt Assombalonga.

Against Boro, Tomori, 20, racked up five clearances and won five aerial duels (Whoscored), prompting a wave of appreciation from several Derby supporters on social media.

Fikayo Tomori

@fikayotomori_
Disappointed to concede late on, especially after a great team performance, but a good point to end a really positive week�. Focus turns to Wednesday now�. #DCFC

7:12 AM - Oct 27, 2018
83 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy

David Riordan
@driordan88
Tomori is class - needed a centre half like him for years ����#dcfc

6:08 AM - Oct 27, 2018
See David Riordan's other Tweets

Mick Massey DCFC
@topklobber
Tomori ���� getting better every game

6:04 AM - Oct 27, 2018
See Mick Massey DCFC's other Tweets

Catfish Dilly
@Catfish_Dilly
It’s going to be a very sad day when Mason Mount/ Harry Wilson & Tomori all have to go back to their respective clubs #DCFC

5:20 AM - Oct 27, 2018
See Catfish Dilly's other Tweets

FPL/BREEZE
@BreezeFpl
Tomori is a hell of a player #dcfc #cfc

See FPL/BREEZE's other Tweets

Olly Kelly
@olly_kelly91
Tomori is by far the best CB in that league by a mile . Guys a boss #DCFC �

See Olly Kelly's other Tweets

Dayko
@dayko_uk
Tomori is amazing #dcfc #cfc

See Dayko's other Tweets

tom
@tom11rodgers
Tomori absolutely immense once again also #dcfc

6:24 AM - Oct 27, 2018
See tom's other Tweets

NickyB
@BirchyN85
Frustrating not to win, but 7 from 9 against the opposition we played isn't to be sniffed at. Feel for Bogle. Tomori had a blinder! Just shows we MUST take our chances! Played lads! �� #DCFC #dcfcfans

6:26 AM - Oct 27, 2018
See NickyB's other Tweets

Chris
@buckers2011
Tomori absolute class again #dcfc

6:25 AM - Oct 27, 2018
See Chris's other Tweets

Rich Holmes
@RichNHolmes
Fikayo Tomori was superb again this afternoon. A fully deserved MOTM award for him at the Riverside. Hugely impressive young player �� #dcfc #dcfcfans pic.twitter.com/Tp9Yfrdz8A

Derby dominated Boro and deservedly took the lead in the opening period, as George Friend turned into his own net following a dangerous cross from an impressive Scott Malone.

But Frank Lampard’s side couldn’t find that elusive second goal which would have put the game beyond Boro, and ultimately an unfortunate own goal from Jayden Bogle late on denied the visitors all three points.

Still, seven points from a possible nine against fellow promotion rivals Sheffield United, West Bromwich Albion and Boro is an impressive feat, and Derby will now look to push on with back-to-back home league games coming up.

As for Tomori, he has been a colossal figure at the back in recent games, and he will have the opportunity to show his parent club Chelsea how much he has improved when the two teams meet at Stamford Bridge in the Carabao Cup this coming Wednesday.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:58am On Oct 30, 2018
komekn:

The issue is about your perception not objectivity. You are too emotively biased.

Once a Nigerian origin player is being talked about you immediately create division and separation.

The only consideration should be best quality no other consideration.
what you are practicing is quasi tribalism against Nigerian origin players because they were not born in Nigeria.

It's worse than racial discrimination and unacceptable

I haven't seen anybody run down players because they were born in Nigeria I think that's your imagination and prejudiced perception.

I challenge you to give one instance ❓ ❓ ❓

Objective preference based on out right better quality is not running players down.

Oga, you are the one who is emotively biased and also racially discriminate against players born outside of England.

You are challenging me to give you one instance when I can even give you 4 or maybe 5 players u have consistently tried to pull down because they are not products of the English system which u have sentimentally biasedly imagined is the best any where in the world?

10 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel7(m): 6:28am On Oct 30, 2018
Nedville:

I'm getting a victor moses vibe from him....if you ask me, I think we should just forget about him....he's probably seeing Nigeria as a step down and a huge disappointment... Not that I blame him sha

But to be honest, that is the same way EVERY SINGLE FB player looks at Nigeria. And that includes Iwobi, Aina and co. It's always Europe first before Nigeria. Can you name a single FB player we have now who stood a good chance of making his foreign team before choosing us?

Let's face it bro, these guys see us as a backup option. And I don't blame them.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel7(m): 6:34am On Oct 30, 2018
Earthquake1:

IYKWIM wink

I cannot but agree. grin

Agreed without reservation.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:42am On Oct 30, 2018
Curtisaxel7:

But to be honest, that is the same way EVERY SINGLE FB player looks at Nigeria. And that includes Iwobi, Aina and co. It's always Europe first before Nigeria. Can you name a single FB player we have now who stood a good chance of making his foreign team before choosing us?

Let's face it bro, these guys see us as a backup option. And I don't blame them.

Otigba turned down an invite from Hungary to wait for Nigeria and we never invited him.

Ebere Eze and Ejaria have made it clear that Nigeria is their first choice. Ejaria came all the way from England to audition for under 17 and was part of the 2013 under17 team before Arsenal called him back. He would have gone to the WC with Iheanacho and co.

Semi Ajayi played under 20 for Nigeria. He did not wait to be called by England. He was at Arsenal at the time.

There are several players who will jump at the chance if we invite them.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:08am On Oct 30, 2018

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 7:12am On Oct 30, 2018
Earthquake1:

IYKWIM wink
Expired goods
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by rainbow333(m): 7:12am On Oct 30, 2018
Alright
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 8:08am On Oct 30, 2018
edi287:

Expired goods

bros e shock me when I saw the comment, chaiii JADA FIRE for dis thread,
kaii noting we no go hear and see and talk about for this thread
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by rabzy: 8:27am On Oct 30, 2018
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:31am On Oct 30, 2018
tbaba1234:

Otigba turned down an invite from Hungary to wait for Nigeria and we never invited him.

Ebere Eze and Ejaria have made it clear that Nigeria is their first choice. Ejaria came all the way from England to audition for under 17 and was part of the 2013 under17 team before Arsenal called him back. He would have gone to the WC with Iheanacho and co.

Semi Ajayi played under 20 for Nigeria. He did not wait to be called by England. He was at Arsenal at the time.

Why Rohr wasted time in inviting Ebere Eze beats me hollow. The midfield needs injection of younger players as likes of Mikel, Ogu, Joel and Onazi are fast aging away. I hope the NFF can immediately commence the paper work for the switch of Eze, Billings and Ejaria so they can be invited for the Seychelles game next year.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:46am On Oct 30, 2018
charlesemeka85:
you are right but chukwueze is yet to do anything tangible in villareal to deserve a call up. maybe what is working for him is because he is left footed and currently in the team we lack a left footed winger. he is a top prospect no doubt with a lot of promise but i think he should not be rushed into the team. all the same it will be a good experience which will aid is development.

Agreed without reservation
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:52am On Oct 30, 2018
Curtisaxel7:

If Rohr finally falls for that quota system crap, our team will just collapse like a pack of cards. All his painstaking work of building an SE team from the scratch will be destroyed.

The SE is not a platform to help salvage dying careers of average players. It's a place where we showcase our very finest.

Let us pick the best. Whether he plays in Aba, England or Thailand.

Agreed without reservation.

However, the question is how do you determine the best. In the quest to make room for favorites or other considerations. We have invited players based on past youthful glories and or the tag SPECAIL TALENT.

My view is that the best players play in the best leagues in general. But that can be matched with players who are in lower leagues and or clubs but are the OUTSTANDING TOP PLAYERS in that league.

In this regard Dele Alli, Gomez, Ademola, left lower league to the EPL with Dele and Gomez now the stand out players for England.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:57am On Oct 30, 2018
Icon4s:

He and Osimhen are not likely to make the SA game match day squad though.

They are likely to be tested against Uganda.
I also think our squad has too many wingers. We once had too many midfielders but that department of the team seems to have thinned out now. Rohr needs to inject fresh players into that midfield.

I think they both should make the match day squad because they are ready right now and they can bring options we didn't have before.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:05am On Oct 30, 2018
charlesemeka85:
you are right but chukwueze is yet to do anything tangible in villareal to deserve a call up. maybe what is working for him is because he is left footed and currently in the team we lack a left footed winger. he is a top prospect no doubt with a lot of promise but i think he should not be rushed into the team. all the same it will be a good experience which will aid is development.

What some of these players have going for them are their track records at youth level.

We saw them blow the world away at U17 and we have closely followed their development and while most of their colleagues have gradually faded away these few have managed against all odds to stay relevant and are beginning to deliver the goods, some at senior level.

Had Chukwueze not ever been involved in any Nigerian youth set-up it would have taken a lot more convincing for the national team handlers to invite him to the Super Eagles. Same goes for Nwakali and Osimhen.

It may look a little too early for the invitation of some of these lads but I still feel the move is not counter productive. BTW I feel Chukwueze and Osimhen are for the Uganda friendly. And I trust just like in the case of the Nwakali that if they are found not ready, we send them back into the incubators. I hope they come out good though.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:08am On Oct 30, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

I think they both should make the match day squad because they are ready right now and they can bring options we didn't have before.

I hope u know only 18 players out of 23 will make the match day squad, meaning 5 players will be dropped.

Go back to that list again and technically select the 5 players to be dropped. And lets discuss.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:18am On Oct 30, 2018
Icon4s:

Oga, you are the one who is emotively biased and also racially discriminate against players born outside of England.

You are challenging me to give you one instance when I can even give you 4 or maybe 5 players u have consistently tried to pull down because they are not products of the English system which u have sentimentally biasedly imagined is the best any where in the world?

You are making yourself look far from intelligent in this public forum.

You are now making shameless evasive NOISE.

My question to you was specific, NAME ONE NIGERIAN BORN PLAYER that has been pulled down with prejudice and bias in favour of A Nigerian origin player born in Europe.

You are moving the goal posts and detracting away from the specific issue. Please name just one, but since you said you can name 5, I challenge you to do so please.

In addition ➕ this is absurd. How can you accuse your fellow Nigerian of being racist. Lost for words.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:20am On Oct 30, 2018
komekn:

My question to you was specific, NAME ONE NIGERIAN BORN PLAYER [/b]that has been pulled down with prejudice and bias in favour of A Nigerian origin player born in Europe.

You are moving the goal posts and detracting away from the specific issue. Please name just one, but since you said you can name 5, [b] I challenge you to do so please.

In addition ➕ this is absurd. How can you accuse your fellow Nigerian of being racist. Lost for words.

You didn't term my post as being tribal and worse than racism right?
Oga, I am done with you.

I don't do insults like you do.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:30am On Oct 30, 2018
tbaba1234:

Actually he was at Charlton first then after his U20 call up he was bought by Arsenal.

But wasn't able to make the cut at Arsenal , ending up playing with a lot of clubs not really impressive. Until he got into Rotherham where he has been consistently outstanding for his club.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:34am On Oct 30, 2018
Curtisaxel7:

THAT NOT TRUE, YOU ARE BEING PRESUMPTUOUS.

To make that wide sweeping statement you really have to know the players in question personally or have spoken to them one on one directly. Have you done any of those things

Before you ask me, I have with the larger majority and spoken to thier parents too.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Petrobros: 9:39am On Oct 30, 2018
komekn:

To make that wide sweeping statement you really have to know the players in question personally or have spoken to them one on one directly. Have you done any of those things

Before you ask me, I have with the larger majority and spoken to thier parents too.

grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:40am On Oct 30, 2018
komekn:

My question to you was specific, NAME ONE NIGERIAN BORN PLAYER that has been pulled down with prejudice and bias in favour of A Nigerian origin player born in Europe.

You are moving the goal posts and detracting away from the specific issue. Please name just one, but since you said you can name 5, I challenge you to do so please.

KC, Osimhen and Success were all bashed for no good reason by u and u even have the nerves to still defend Solanke. Not saying that u are racist but u have bad bele towards some of these boys for reasons only u know.

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:40am On Oct 30, 2018
Icon4s:

You didn't term my post as being tribal and worse than racism right?
Oga, I am done with you.

I don't do insults like you do.

One of things about being educated it gives you a degree of analytical depth. That means you pay attention to detail, the meaning is in the detail. And you are quite obviously educated please use it.

My words are in comparison not accusatory. At no time did I call you racist or tribalistic but the proposition you presented is clearly discriminatory, it excludes . Particularly when there is nothing to back it up with.

Let me quote myself;

"It's worse than racial discrimination and unacceptable"

Tell me one insult or abuse that I have used against anybody here

Again when challenged you hide with EVASION you are running away without shame. You made the proposition now defend it with specifics. But you can not thats essentially NOISE MAKING.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Petrobros: 9:42am On Oct 30, 2018
Icon4s:

I hope u know only 18 players out of 23 will make the match day squad, meaning 5 players will be dropped.

Go back to that list again and technically select the 5 players to be dropped. And lets discuss.

5 players to be dropped from match day squad: Akpeyi, Adeleye, Idowu, Chukwueze and Osimhen.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:46am On Oct 30, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

KC, Osimhen and Success were all bashed for no good reason by u and u even have the nerves to still defend Solanke. Not saying that u are racist but u have bad bele towards some of these boys for reasons only u know.

Fabulous you are talking specifics. I will respond and break down my view objectively about all three.

Past present and future. Unfortunately I have a meeting so later tonight
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:08am On Oct 30, 2018
Icon4s:

See as u wan put wahala for my head this early mor mor grin Right now on paper u are right to expect them to be dropped but I feel they will be the hungriest players in camp and Rohr is getting set to have a big selection headache.

I seriously think Rohr will be tempted to start Samu because even a blind man can see that the boy is very special and on his day he could destroy South Africa. If he were Spanish, people would be talking about the next Messi and he surely would be a starter in Villarreal. Simon and Kalu will be his competition. Simon has not played for his club since return and Kalu was not so good last time out.

Victor Osimhen is basically an Ndidi that scores goals. The boy just does not stop working for the team, that is the real reason he won his starting place so quick in Belgium. He can play any of the front 3 positions and even was played as a DMF once at Wolfsburg. Nacho did not play last time and Success only played in Uyo so it wouldn't be a total shock if one or both hit the stands to accommodate the young man.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mumuboy11: 10:09am On Oct 30, 2018
hello pals. in case you need foreign phone number (Canada and USA) to use for calls, whatsapp, facebook, PayPal verification, fiverr verification. I can get one for you. just message me on whatsapp now for a smooth deal!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel7(m): 10:26am On Oct 30, 2018
komekn:

If Aina was a standout performer in say, Real Madrid or Manchester United, do you really believe he would've chosen the super Eagles? Same goes to Iwobi and Balogun.

Which of the FB players we now have had a REALISTIC chance of playing for their European countries? None!.

P.S:
In Otigba's case, Hungary is no big team, so the allure was simply not there

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5011) (5012) (5013) (5014) (5015) (5016) (5017) ... (16140) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: sojious, Tessyy1701, Odunayaw(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.