Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,915 members, 7,810,512 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:23 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (5093) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11597292 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5090) (5091) (5092) (5093) (5094) (5095) (5096) ... (16122) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 9:02am On Nov 15, 2018
Icon4s:

I know a good number of Yorubas that bear both names as English names. Although u right ,they are actually rare compared to most other Nigerian ethnic group.

Meanwhile come to Niger-Delta where you will see names like: Shell Manager, Chevron Giant etc.

LMAO!!!!

Back then in Benin around agbomoba axis closer to delta... Come see name.. God better pass you �

I weak for those people
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 9:07am On Nov 15, 2018
Icon4s:

I know a good number of Yorubas that bear both names as English names. Although u right ,they are actually rare compared to most other Nigerian ethnic group.

Meanwhile come to Niger-Delta where you will see names like: Shell Manager, Chevron Giant etc.
grin grin grin

It reminds me of an interaction I had offshore on a Samsung Heavy Industry site. There was this Delta guy I hear everyone call Money. I just felt it was his nickname. Then one day, we were talking and I said he should tell me his real name as calling people by their nickname is not my forte. Then he said that's his name. I was taken back.

I said, "Really? If your first name is Money, what is your surname?"

"Government!"

I laughed throughout the day.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:07am On Nov 15, 2018
Names like Shell Manager is specific to a tribe in the Niger-Delta
ChrisKels:

I skipped niger-delta on purpose because those ones are a lost course.

Mind u, I said Niger-delta not South South because my efik, ibibio ppl still holding sway with their Akpan Udoh grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:11am On Nov 15, 2018
joseph1013:

grin grin grin

It reminds me of an interaction I had offshore on a Samsung Heavy Industry site. There was this Delta guy I hear everyone call Money. I just felt it was his nickname. Then one day, we were talking and I said he should tell me his real name as calling people by their nickname is not my forte. Then he said that's his name. I was taken back.

"Government!"

Yeah, "Government'' I have seen someone with that name before. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:12am On Nov 15, 2018
soetanoreoluwa:

LMAO!!!!

Back then in Benin around agbomoba axis closer to delta... Come see name.. God better pass you �

I weak for those people

Na for Benin I see where people dey bear names like Effort, Evidence

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:14am On Nov 15, 2018
Joebie:
Names like Shell Manager is specific to a tribe in the Niger-Delta

'' Izon"!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:16am On Nov 15, 2018
soetanoreoluwa:

LMAO!!!!

I weak for those people

Chai bro who do us this thing? Na there u go c names run, d funny thing b say the names diz days dey come in pidgins ; GodDey, FineFace, NaYouHoldMyDestiny Chai
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:18am On Nov 15, 2018
ChrisKels:

I skipped niger-delta on purpose because those ones are a lost course.

Mind u, I said Niger-delta not South South because my efik, ibibio ppl still holding sway with their Akpan Udoh grin grin

This ones when you ask their student their name they will mention all the 3 grin like: Tom Jimmy Udoh, Brownson Umoh Micah, Inemesit Ambrose Nsikak, Bassey Mbaete Akpan grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:23am On Nov 15, 2018
Come to think of it , there is an ethnic group that also like bearing names like: Alloysius, Vitalis, Innocent, Eucharia, Clarus, Donatus, Remigus, Juvenus etc grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:26am On Nov 15, 2018
And there is a particular group also that bear English names like: Badmus, Coker, Williams, Craig, Johnson, Thomas, Beecroft, Smith, Joseph etc. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:39am On Nov 15, 2018
Icon4s:
Come to think of it , there is an ethnic group that also like bearing names like: Alloysius, Vitalis, Innocent, Eucharia, Clarus, Donatus, Remigus, Juvenus etc grin grin grin

These are igbo Catholic names, but Juvenus? grin grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:40am On Nov 15, 2018
Icon4s:
Thank God Isaac Success went through the MRI at U17 else we no go hear word for here about age cheating.

Don't think it's a matter to thank God.

Like has been said multiple times here. The MRI scan is indicative not conclusive.

Abuchi Obinwa born in the USA failed a NFF administered MRI scan when he was 16 round about the same period Success would have had his own test . The NFF failed or rather refused to submit the test results for independent inspection. Why ❓ anybodies guess.

The test is flawed by the baseline data used to make deductions. An excerpt from the Scientific American journal which is high standing academic journal highlights the problem.

Meanwhile, subsequent work also throws more cold water on the science of these wrist scans: One study on 86 young male Ghanaian players concluded, “There was no significant correlation between the chronological age and the degree of fusion.”

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/dear-fifa-there-is-no-scientific-test-to-prevent-age-fraud/

However, the reality is that the alternatives are not in themselves practical and or viable. It's essentially the most cost effective and efficient system we have for now. Just be aware it's not conclusive but indicative so it can be beaten.

The final word, without AUTOMATIC BIRTH DATA CAPTURE there will be age cheating. From Brazil, Peru, Africa, Asia, etc, etc
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:41am On Nov 15, 2018
joseph1013:

grin grin grin

"Government!"

But wetin dey prompt all this kind yeye names nah
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:41am On Nov 15, 2018
ChrisKels:

These are igbo Catholic names grin grin

Reminds me of one of my friends way back that told me she thought Alloysius and Eucharia were Igbo names grin grin grin.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:43am On Nov 15, 2018
komekn:

Don't think it's a matter to thank God.

Like has been said multiple times here. The MRI scan is indicative not conclusive.

Abuchi Obinwa born in the USA failed a NFF administered MRI scan when he was 16 round about the same period Success would have had his own test . The NFF failed or rather refused to submit the test results for independent inspection. Why ❓ anybodies guess.

The test is flawed by the baseline data used to make deductions. An excerpt from the Scientific American journal which is high standing academic journal highlights the problem.

Meanwhile, subsequent work also throws more cold water on the science of these wrist scans: One study on 86 young male Ghanaian players concluded, “There was no significant correlation between the chronological age and the degree of fusion.”

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/dear-fifa-there-is-no-scientific-test-to-prevent-age-fraud/

However, the reality is that the alternatives are not in themselves practical and or viable. It's essentially the most cost effective and efficient system we have for now. Just be aware it's not conclusive but indicative so it can be beaten.

The final word, without AUTOMATIC BIRTH DATA CAPTURE there will be age cheating. From Brazil, Peru, Africa, Asia, etc, etc

See, for a boy who is truly 16 to fail the test it simply means a boy who is 18 and above stands little or no chance. It is that simple.

We have had this argument in cycles over and over again. Isaac Success is 22. No controversy.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:47am On Nov 15, 2018
Icon4s:

Reminds me of one of my friends way back that told me she thought Alloysius and Eucharia were Igbo names grin grin grin.

Lol dey gave me Calistus at birth as a core Catholic family, my grandfather went berserk, dem change am to Sistus the man no still gree until dem settle with the Biblical name wey I dey bear now.

Na Imo people especially Obowo dey bear diz names like mad, and statistics has it dat almost every family there has a Catholic priest (Reverend father)
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:50am On Nov 15, 2018
ChrisKels:

But wetin dey prompt all this kind yeye names nah

You know this African belief that names follow people.

An Ijaw man will name his son "Shell" or "Chevron" so that when he grows up he will eventually work with Shell or Chevron. Another one gives his son "Manager" so that he will eventually become a Manager. The other one gave his son "Government" so that he will be in Government.
Just like the story Joseph shared about the guy that bears "Money". That father wanted him to have plenty of money when he grows up.

But do these things actually play out? Like the guy I saw that bears the name "Giant" happens to be the shortest and skinniest member of the crew. grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:52am On Nov 15, 2018
ChrisKels:

Lol dey gave me Calistus at birth as a core Catholic family, my grandfather went berserk, dem change am to Sistus the man no still gree until dem settle with the Biblical name wey I dey bear now.

Na Imo people especially Obowo dey bear diz names like mad, and statistics has it dat almost every family there has a Catholic priest (Reverend father)

Yeah Calistus, Calista, Sixtus are some other popular Igbo Catholic names grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:07am On Nov 15, 2018
Icon4s:

You omitted one popular one amongst us here : The Scout Master Dalung . AKA United States of Nigeria grin

Hahahahaha dis one no dey repp well. This one is tout, a cultist. He is an Aro Bagger boy. He is a mess
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:10am On Nov 15, 2018
junnyjake:

Now, you're making it attractive for me to go back and hug my history books. grin

Very true about the Yorubas, both at home and diaspora.

Only Christians in the north bear Hausa names. Example: Godiya, Nasara, Nakure Dogara Yohanna, Ayuba, etc.

God c sweet names nah. Just imagine an Hausa melanin damsel with the name Yohanna. Choi licking my lips
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:13am On Nov 15, 2018
junnyjake:

And when religion came, it made us look at ourselves and history as inferior, reason why we jettison our identities for the ones our colonialists offered.

Painfully painful
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 10:16am On Nov 15, 2018
ChrisKels:

God c sweet names nah. Just imagine an Hausa melanin damsel with the name Yohanna. Choi licking my lips

Yohanna is actually masculine.

Godiya I the only feminine name there.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:17am On Nov 15, 2018
Icon4s:

See, for a boy who is truly 16 to fail the test it simply means a boy who is 18 and above stands little or no chance. It is that simple.

We have had this argument in cycles over and over again. Isaac Success is 22. No controversy.

It's does not mean that.

Please indulge me open up your mind read the journal the links there. And your view faced with scientific substantive research will probably change.

The American scientific journal has been around for near 150 years with contributors such as Einstein. So it quite reputable. There are many other journal with published research on the subject.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 10:19am On Nov 15, 2018
Icon4s:

Influence of the earlier Roman Catholic.

Those are Roman sounding names.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by cc12(m): 10:20am On Nov 15, 2018
Those names are more prevalent among the Ijaws than any other tribes in the Niger Delta

Icon4s:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:22am On Nov 15, 2018
Icon4s:

You know this African belief that names follow people.

An Ijaw man will name his son "Shell" or "Chevron" so that when he grows up he will eventually work with Shell or Chevron. Another one gives his son "Manager" so that he will eventually become a Manager. The other one gave his son "Government" so that he will be in Government.
Just like the story Joseph shared about the guy that bears "Money". That father wanted him to have plenty of money when he grows up.

But do these things actually play out?

Like the guy I saw that bears the name "Giant" happens to be the shortest and skinniest member of the crew. grin grin grin

About the first bolded, remember the story of Jabez in the Bible though me dont think names have a say on what a kid will turn out to be.

But the seconded sha grin grin

Man u are wicked grin grin

D boy name come turn to mockery to his real stature grin grin kuku kill me Icon4s, kill me with laughter grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:24am On Nov 15, 2018
komekn:

It's does not mean that.

Please indulge me open up your mind read the journal the links there. And your view faced with scientific substantive research will probably change.

The American scientific journal has been around for near 150 years with contributors such as Einstein. So it quite reputable. There are many other journal with published research on the subject.

I have read that journal and a couple of others.

Scientifically speaking, a system or procedure that has a reliability rating of 90% is very reliable and so very acceptable.

Until proven otherwise MRI results for cubing of age cheating is very reliable and FIFA and the entire football community will continue to accept the ages of players that have gone through this scanning process.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:26am On Nov 15, 2018
junnyjake:

Yohanna is actually masculine.

Godiya I the only feminine name there.

Really? Buh do u kno if one American female star picks that name tomorrow as a stage name, all Nigerian gals go change names on Facebook. U go begin c Chummy Yohanna, Yohanna baby et al. Lol most still dey bear sharon, Rihanna, beyonce for now grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 10:29am On Nov 15, 2018
ChrisKels:

Chei!

Calistus Sistus

Na Sistus I go de call you from today now.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:43am On Nov 15, 2018
ChrisKels:

Are these guys playing in a mud? Y are they this dirty nah? angry

undecided

Boys wey dey hustle to impress Rohr. They know this is a big chance in their careers. So no blame dem o.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 11:04am On Nov 15, 2018
all those Niger delta name just dey make laugh grin grin how someone bear money ,giant, government grin grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 11:26am On Nov 15, 2018
Icon4s:

Yeah Calistus, Calista, Sixtus are some other popular Igbo Catholic names grin

Not forgetting 'Caminus'. cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (5090) (5091) (5092) (5093) (5094) (5095) (5096) ... (16122) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Hanibal(m), Oasis007(m) and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.