Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,811 members, 7,862,685 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 11:28 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (5122) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11942153 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5119) (5120) (5121) (5122) (5123) (5124) (5125) ... (16354) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:16am On Nov 18, 2018
Joebie:
And what will the new players be doing? Sitting on the bench? Coming in late? Failing to hold possession with neat interchange of passes? What will Rohr do differently with new players?

OK, so y'all clamoring for #Rohrout# who do you have in mind as replacement? a coach you know the NFF can afford o, abi you want a local coach to takeover?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 1:26am On Nov 18, 2018
Liamm:
Rohr is one hell of a bloody tactically inept opportunist. Those saying he qualified us for world cup and now afcon, pray tell. If a tactically sound manager was to inherit the crop of talents at Rohr's disposal, we would never have had a shambolic world cup outing coupled with the performances. The wins we've managed to grind out under Rohr mostly came out of individual brilliance and not his techniques nor tactics. That old man needs to leave. Baxter would do a better job
I need ur bank details
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:32am On Nov 18, 2018
I have read a lot of comments on the game, these are my thoughts on some of them

1. Iheanacho had a very decent game. I was quite impressed with his application in the first 30 minutes in particular. He was not as bad as suggested by some posters

2. Rohr is actually good tactically. His weakness is the reading of the game and his conservative nature. He does not make required changes on time and tries to play it safe. A technical assistant who reads the game better could be drafted to assist.

This current Nigerian team has the potential to play breathtaking football with a more adventurous coach but Rohr has produced results.

3. We were average but should have won easily if not for some atrocious officiating.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 3:11am On Nov 18, 2018
This is what people have failed to realize

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:45am On Nov 18, 2018
jihday:
This is what people have failed to realize

Exactly, the man has produced results which is all we can ask. If he goes ahead and wins AFCON, people will still complain.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 4:00am On Nov 18, 2018
tbaba1234:
I have read a lot of comments on the game, these are my thoughts on some of them

1. Iheanacho had a very decent game. I was quite impressed with his application in the first 30 minutes in particular. He was not as bad as suggested by some posters

2. Rohr is actually good tactically. His weakness is the reading of the game and his conservative nature. He does not make required changes on time and tries to play it safe. A technical assistant who reads the game better could be drafted to assist.

This current Nigerian team has the potential to play breathtaking football with a more adventurous coach but Rohr has produced results.

3. We were average but should have won easily if not for some atrocious officiating.
In regards to 2 - we are mostly talking about his in game management which isn't that great tbh. He can set a team up but isn't that flexible when it comes to switching things up.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 5:00am On Nov 18, 2018
ChrisKels:

Their best player can only make our bench yet u defending Rohr for getting only a point from a possible 6 against them while they got 4? Not just that he got a point, he also played poorly

When they won us 2-0 at our home what did you say ?

All I can say is we will top that group and we have already qualify
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 5:01am On Nov 18, 2018
Taliban:

Agbim too wasn't starting for his club

You don't mean it tell me something I don't know
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:02am On Nov 18, 2018
18 year old Bayern Munich forward Franck Evina has declared for Cameroon.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:32am On Nov 18, 2018
tbaba1234:

On point 1, was he also very decent after the first 30 minutes?
Also I am wondering if Odion too had played the way KC did, would he have been adjudged as very decent? But I hope Rohr can still stick with him same way he did with Ighalo and hopefully we see the best of KC in the GWG.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:39am On Nov 18, 2018
andrew444:

You don't mean it tell me something I don't know

No vex oga mi sir. Na because u say Chigozie dey start for his club. I didn't know what you typed didn't reflect what you know, I apologize.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by suaveman(m): 6:02am On Nov 18, 2018
BascoVanVeli:
Who else saw Leon Balogun chancing Baxter grin and the best part was that he played very well after that.

Saw it bro. It's my favourite of the match in fact. My God, that was freaking gangster.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:20am On Nov 18, 2018
I think overall the team didn't do badly.

Remember this was an away game. SA was the home team so as expected they had a lot of possession. They needed a win while we needed a draw, so it was expected that as the game progressed they become more determined and we would rather protect the result we had rather than pushing too much forward and concede in the process. But I believe we would have gotten the winner if we needed a win.

We lacked Enterprise at the middle. Rohr should settle whatever he had with Onazi. Etebor is an off and on player.

The attacking combination worked just fine we would have easily won 3:1 but for illiterate officials who cannot read and interprete simple offside rules. CAF should please investigate that game. And Nigerian players and officials should learn to complain immediately when match officials Robs them. That useless lines man wouldn't have had the effrontery to disallow that second goal if the first error was greeted with angry reactions.

Thank God the draw was enough or we didn't end up losing the game.

Against Uganda we need to rest someone like Musa, he has done enough for Nigeria this year to deserve some accolades. Let Rohr play a more experimental squad. Let him start Success and Onyekuru. Chukwueze too should get some playing time.

CONGRATULATIONS NIGERIA! We are back to the AFCON.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Liamm(m): 6:53am On Nov 18, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
I need ur bank details
lol. Looks like I'm about to have a wonderful Sunday. I appreciate boss cheesy

0004083136 - stanbic ibtc

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 6:57am On Nov 18, 2018
jihday:
OK, so y'all clamoring for #Rohrout# who do you have in mind as replacement? a coach you know the NFF can afford o, abi you want a local coach to takeover?
Don't want him out - just pointing out his flaws. It's good we have continuity but dude has to learn from his mistakes.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelxxy(m): 7:16am On Nov 18, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

You still do not get it. South Africa were miles ahead of us in creative and tactical play. How that equates to Rohr being a better coach beats my imagination. With more quality players, we would have had a big problem on our hands. Worst of all is that we had the better quality players.
which creativity and tactical play.. how many chance southies created. they just play long ball almost throughout the match so one dimensional. SA have only 2 corner and 2 shots whole of the match.. oga TheGoodjoe no fall my hand ooo

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 7:51am On Nov 18, 2018
tbaba1234:

Exactly, the man has produced results which is all we can ask. If he goes ahead and wins AFCON, people will still complain.

Nigerians want SE to play like South Africa with no result but sexy football. Shuaibu Amodu with all his achievement wasn't appreciated cos of this.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Chukwuemeka007(m): 8:23am On Nov 18, 2018
I never thought that this game will make me come out of my ghost mode after nearly two years of ardent followership.

First of, I think the stern attacks on Rohr's person, intellect and coaching tactics is way out of proportion though I'm not absolving him of any wrongdoings.

We played a team who had their backs against the wall (a loss would put them on a bad position) in front of their home crowd. It's expected they do the initial gra-gra stuff.

If not for poor officiating, we were 3-1 winners. We also tend to forget the altitude issues over there resulting to a thin layer of oxygen. "overdoing" yourself will lead to early gassing out. I think it was Ecuador that thrashed Argentina 6 nil in a world cup qualifier played in Quito (a place of high altitude and low atmospheric pressure. A few Argentine players even fainted on that day)

We have taken to commonizing qualifying for the AFCON because Rohr qualified us forgetting that we failed to qualify on two occasions back-to-back even as defending champions in 2015. Our African Guardiola and our Special One couldn't.

For the first I'm seeing the Super Eagles qualify for the World Cup and AFCON without needing calculators nor praying for the downfall of another team though we faced though oppositions. PS I'm in my early 20s can't say about the 90s.

Even if we go ahead to win the AFCON some of us will still come here to say:

"forget he won the AFCON, Rohr can't take us anywhere. He's inept and by the way what's AFCON for a whole Nigeria?" forgeting that a "whole" Ghana last won a trophy in 1982 (pls correct me if I'm wrong) and not even an Avram Grant could get them another.

We exalt the way SA played saying they had "free-flowing and sexy game". But I'm 100% sure that if the SE played same yesterday we would still come here to say

"the team played rubbish, all runnings and not bite, no shots and no final balls just headless chicken runs and long irrelevant balls"

All I'm saying is this: Yes, coach Rohr isn't 100% of what we desire in a coach but he's giving us results! results! he's doing his job. so these over-blown criticisms and insults are funny to me. Asides the unfortunate loss to SA, we're unbeaten against African oppositions.

On a final note, to those prophets of doom who drop doomsday prophecies before our matches just so they can come back after the match to say "didn't I say it?" una weldone, more grease to your keypads.

Some are already predicting a Quarter final last bus stop for the SE for a competition that will commence in 7 months' time. SMH

Same way some started singing before the World cup that "Nigeria will not win or draw Argentina" and they came here to say the "didn't I tell you?"

Some say: with the array of talents at Rohr's disposal, we shouldn't be struggling at all so at that Rohr should be shown the exit door. I wonder what'd have happened to the coaches of Germany, Portugal and Spain following their early exit from the WC despite their "sexy and sleek football" plus huge arsenal of talents if they were Nigerians or employees of the NFF.

Happy Sunday fam! please pardon my long epistle

25 Likes 8 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 8:39am On Nov 18, 2018
Odunayaw:
huh? Spain had 1000+ and were out of the WC sooner than they could get an erection!

Sleek football without result equals LOSS
Step by step back grin

Abi weren't you happy and glad at heart when dem Amokachi and friends were doing g this at Atlanta 96 and years before? We won so we are more sensible than Spain in that regard! Spain may still be learners in winning, not us grin

You sef deep down you wan see that sleekness too joor. lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 9:08am On Nov 18, 2018
tbaba1234:

D point one...on having a decent game,is a no for me,DT only goof he made when musa passed to him as even eclipsed his earlier efforts, if it were to be ighalo dt made similar mistake we no go hear word for dis thread again.nacho was lively for d first 20sumtin minutes b4 dt error and after dt,he was on hibernation making iwobi overstressed himself by doing his job,I was even surprised he started d 2nd half sef. undecided

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clementoke(m): 9:33am On Nov 18, 2018
I don't understand why Rohr hasn't talked about about the bad officiating.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 9:45am On Nov 18, 2018
Clementoke:

It's possible he wasn't aware. He wasn't watching on TV and was also not at a position to judge the line.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel7(m): 9:56am On Nov 18, 2018
Clementoke:

It baffles me Sir. You were just robbed of not one but TWO clean goals in a match and all you could do is to smile like a he-goat and drool over opposition players afterwards. Not even a word of protest to draw the attention of the authorities to the grave injustice done to you.

Why won't people think you sold the match?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 10:37am On Nov 18, 2018
Curtisaxel7:

It baffles me Sir. You were just robbed of not one but TWO clean goals in a match and all you could do is to smile like a he-goat and drool over opposition players afterwards. Not even a word of protest to draw the attention of the authorities to the grave injustice done to you.

not all coaches like whining about officiating, Pep is an example
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:48am On Nov 18, 2018
Chukwuemeka007:
I never thought that this game will make me come out of my ghost mode after nearly two years of ardent followership.

First of, I think the stern attacks on Rohr's person, intellect and coaching tactics is way out of proportion though I'm not absolving him of any wrongdoings.

We played a team who had their backs against the wall (a loss would put them on a bad position) in front of their home crowd. It's expected they do the initial gra-gra stuff.

If not for poor officiating, we were 3-1 winners. We also tend to forget the altitude issues over there resulting to a thin layer of oxygen. "overdoing" yourself will lead to early gassing out. I think it was Ecuador that thrashed Argentina 6 nil in a world cup qualifier played in Quito (a place of high altitude and low atmospheric pressure. A few Argentine players even fainted on that day)

We have taken to commonizing qualifying for the AFCON because Rohr qualified us forgetting that we failed to qualify on two occasions back-to-back even as defending champions in 2015. Our African Guardiola and our Special One couldn't.

For the first I'm seeing the Super Eagles qualify for the World Cup and AFCON without needing calculators nor praying for the downfall of another team though we faced though oppositions. PS I'm in my early 20s can't say about the 90s.

"forget he won the AFCON, Rohr can't take us anywhere. He's inept and by the way what's AFCON for a whole Nigeria?" forgeting that a "whole" Ghana last won a trophy in 1982 (pls correct me if I'm wrong) and not even an Avram Grant could get them another.

We exalt the way SA played saying they had "free-flowing and sexy game". But I'm 100% sure that if the SE played same yesterday we would still come here to say

"the team played rubbish, all runnings and not bite, no shots and no final balls just headless chicken runs and long irrelevant balls"

All I'm saying is this: Yes, coach Rohr isn't 100% of what we desire in a coach but he's giving us results! results! he's doing his job. so these over-blown criticisms and insults are funny to me. Asides the unfortunate loss to SA, we're unbeaten against African oppositions.

On a final note, to those prophets of doom who drop doomsday prophecies before our matches just so they can come back after the match to say "didn't I say it?" una weldone, more grease to your keypads.

Some are already predicting a Quarter final last bus stop for the SE for a competition that will commence in 7 months' time. SMH

Same way some started singing before the World cup that "Nigeria will not win or draw Argentina" and they came here to say the "didn't I tell you?"

Some say: with the array of talents at Rohr's disposal, we shouldn't be struggling at all so at that Rohr should be shown the exit door. I wonder what'd have happened to the coaches of Germany, Portugal and Spain following their early exit from the WC despite their "sexy and sleek football" plus huge arsenal of talents if they were Nigerians or employees of the NFF.

A commendable write up.

Hope to see more of u here.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 10:59am On Nov 18, 2018
Who remembers this? Yekini's perfeftly good disallowed goal in South Africa in the USA 94 World cup qualifiers first group stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O5iZer8Ifo

Watch 0:20 to 0:30

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 11:00am On Nov 18, 2018
Curtisaxel7:

If u notice rohr... He is of d gentle side,he doesn't complain much,he would rada focus on his job,if not...u would notice he didn't complain much abt d argies handball during d press conference.besides,for those who av complained earlier after d match,was d decision reversed..d answer is no,its like crying over a spilled milk cool

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:01am On Nov 18, 2018
No I’m not yet, not because there are no capable replacement.
jihday:
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by FAMILY247(m): 11:27am On Nov 18, 2018
Please what is the time for the super falcons game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 11:33am On Nov 18, 2018
Chukwuemeka007:

Bros,chop knuckle abeg. U made lots of sense. shocked

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:49am On Nov 18, 2018
Bro, even if we played SA in a friendly today in a neutral ground expect to see the same. With Rohr I know what to expect. And we should all know this if we threw out all sentiments. I know he can win games but I know a tactical coach will always pose him problems.

Well let me take on the issues u seemed to be quoting me. Firstly I never said we will not get to the QF. But I consider getting to the QF an achievement over AFCON qualification.Why? Nigeria is easily among the top 8 teams in Africa or at least should always come out of the group at an AFCON competition. I’m not even setting the bar high here. It’s just the reality, and even our TRUE Team B should be able to pull that off. That’s the bare minimum. I’m saying I’ts far reasonable celebrating that than an AFCON qualification. Those saying we failed to qualify in the past can we be sincere enough to compare the circumstances. Our failures were purely caused by administrative lapses in the glass house. Even Yusuf would qualify us for the AFCON given him the right working environment Rohr has enjoyed. You guys failed to realize that Rohr has enjoyed the backing of the NFF than any coach has ever had. I want to applaud Pinnick for that, and he also gave Oliseh that kind of support. Siasia only had a stint. Or did u guys think Rohr would have qualified us in that Siasia circumstance? Every coach deserves support. I will say it again, if Nigeria can promote an atmosphere of excellence we will exceed expectations in all walks of life within this country.

Rohr has shown us his best, but his best will not bring out the best we can get considering what we have. I’m afraid at this timing we have to manage him. Even if he were an indigenous coach, I would say the same. It’s not the right time to send him out, because he still has the results going well for him. However I can already smell the coffee. That day will come, because he will not do more than he has already demonstrated. For one thing he will not exceed Keshi’s achievement. Now can you ask yourself, don’t we deserve better than Keshi’s achievement? The time will come you all will realize it’s time to move on.

Nobody is asking we play like Barca. But it’s simply unacceptable that we can hardly string passes from defense to attack without losing possession in a CARELESS manner. Or am I exxagaratimg here? Somebody tell me.

If the altitude is high, you reduce your running and let the ball do the running. But how is this possible when ur passing game is suspect. We still have that all-important key pass strength in us, which is why we beat their defense and scored (wrongly disallowed) in two occasions. However, we can do better as a team considering SA isn’t even a great team.

Rohr should be able to spot this problem and fix it. Will he?

Modified
Rohr will not even match Keshi’s achievement. You can bookmark this

Chukwuemeka007:

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:56am On Nov 18, 2018
nelxxy:
which creativity and tactical play.. how many chance southies created. they just play long ball almost throughout the match so one dimensional. SA have only 2 corner and 2 shots whole of the match.. oga TheGoodjoe no fall my hand ooo

So you believe South Africa completely dominated possession by playing long balls throughout the match.

Na wa.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5119) (5120) (5121) (5122) (5123) (5124) (5125) ... (16354) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Famocious(m), jihday(m), zicky(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.