Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,405 members, 7,861,144 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 03:11 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (5362) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11930370 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5359) (5360) (5361) (5362) (5363) (5364) (5365) ... (16336) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:53pm On Jan 10, 2019
Earthquake1:

The guy was one of the fastest players to play for SE

A very direct left footed striker
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 9:57pm On Jan 10, 2019
Utonwanne:

They can't play forever
they retired too soon
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 9:58pm On Jan 10, 2019
Icon4s:

He may not have had a seemingly good club career but he sure delivered in the GWG during his relatively short spell. At least he was better than our current Ighalo, Iheanacho and Success.

Sure he is better,seems baba icon4s have an idea of his style of play, morinho sold him off when he was at inter due to his style of play, he couldn't fit in mourinho's plan,he scored some good goals though @ inter fc,but dt wasn't enuf to convince mourinho cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:58pm On Jan 10, 2019
ChrisKels:

Chai Icon4s that list dey do me somehow for body. Too bad we won nothing with that array of stars.

In another topic, Nsofor of Verona or Chukwueze of Villarreal, if u were asked to make a choice? These are similar players; powerful left foot, pace et al. Chukwueze is a better dribbler though buh Obinna pack shot for leg oo

Let Chukwueze play at least two more seasons and then I can come back and do the comparison. Nsofor post Beijing Olympics, when he was at Verona, was very lethal o.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 10:00pm On Jan 10, 2019
Whos watching Barca match, how is Moses Simon performing?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 10:01pm On Jan 10, 2019
So Moses Simon is now starting a game ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:01pm On Jan 10, 2019
elyte89:

Sure he is better,seems baba icon4s have an idea of his style of play, morinho sold him off when he was at inter due to his style of play, he couldn't fit in mourinho's plan,he scored some good goals though @ inter fc,but dt wasn't enuf to convince mourinho cool

We do not have his kind of player in the current SE. The nearest is Simon Moses and maybe Ahmed Musa.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 10:04pm On Jan 10, 2019
ChrisKels:

Chai Icon4s that list dey do me somehow for body. Too bad we won nothing with that array of stars.

In another topic, Nsofor of Verona or Chukwueze of Villarreal, if u were asked to make a choice? These are similar players; powerful left foot, pace et al. Chukwueze is a better dribbler though buh Obinna pack shot for leg oo

Nsofor of Verona is a beast ,Jose mourinho didn't think twice before he bought him for inter Milan ,despite he was a bench warmer at inter Milan ,nsofor is a player I will hardly forget

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:05pm On Jan 10, 2019
Icon4s:

We once had strikers. Imagine that Ike Uche, Yakubu, Utaka, Martins, Osaze and Nsofor were in the Eagles at the same time. If we can even have one striker in the current Eagles with a form equal to any of these. undecided

These strikers once had the best midfielders behind them, yet couldn't get any medal. Imagine Okocha and Obodo of Perugia, Fiorentina and Udinese behind those strikers at some point and we still got our ass whipped by Drogba and co.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:08pm On Jan 10, 2019
andrew444:

Nsofor of Verona is a beast ,Jose mourinho didn't think twice before he bought him for inter Milan ,despite he was a bench warmer at inter Milan ,nsofor is a player I will hardly forget

Oh yea buh one other player I will never forget is the bundle of skills himself, Christian Obodo. Such a fantastic player
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 10:10pm On Jan 10, 2019
ChrisKels:

Garri Master and his brother, Senegal(Kalu Uche) are few of the Nigerian Players that played soccer with their true ages. They are so clean and their details verifiable.

Very handsome boy BTW.

I think I will agree with this

Ikechukwu uche is 35 years old and still getting goals at Spanish dovision 2 while my own obinna nsofor career has already hit the cross road side at 29 years of age

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:12pm On Jan 10, 2019
Joebie:
Thy are all better than Iorfa. “Present continuous” — remember?

I would never disagree with notion of " Present Continous " however there are very clear extenuating circumstances.

Which l have gone into with some depth in the past about those unfair circumstances that even prompted a FA investigation into the affairs of Wolves.

The issue is football politics not ability.

If you can recall on of our best defenders was Danny Shittu frozen out for two years at Bolton. Came and partners very effectively with Yobo. Left Bolton and was voted Best Defender in the Championship.

But back to the three Germans were they better than him before or currently because they have been paid in the past 3/4 months.

I am simply not convinced it's speculative and not proven.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:12pm On Jan 10, 2019
Icon4s:

We once had strikers. Imagine that Ike Uche, Yakubu, Utaka, Martins, Osaze and Nsofor were in the Eagles at the same time. If we can even have one striker in the current Eagles with a form equal to any of these. undecided

If those guys weren't scoring goals,they were creating chance and assists...

The kind strikers we get now no be am at all...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 10:13pm On Jan 10, 2019
ChrisKels:

Oh yea buh one other player I will never forget is the bundle of skills himself, Christian Obodo. Such a fantastic player

Christian ndubusi obodo was a joy to watch always

I will never forget his udinese and fiorentina days ,only played about 4/5 years at the eagles

All this players na football age affect them ,naija no get players as before
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:16pm On Jan 10, 2019
Icon4s:

North Africans are the most fanatic Football fans in the world.
I agree....though the South Americans can give them a run for their money grin

I'm just hoping they don't do rubbish at the AFCON.. and also,CAF must approve the use of VAR
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:17pm On Jan 10, 2019
andrew444:

Ikechukwu uche is 35 years old and still getting goals at Spanish dovision 2 while my own obinna nsofor career has already hit the cross road side at 29 years of age

At 31-32 his brother Kalu was tearing the Turkish league apart for newly promoted kasimpasa. At 34-35, same Kalu was banging in goals for Levante where our darling Simon Moses is a bench warmer now.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:18pm On Jan 10, 2019
andrew444:

I will never forget his udinese and fiorentina days ,only played about 4/5 years at the eagles

More reason why we need to invest more in grassroot football.. not just at the national level but club level too...

There's football talent in this country! ..Sadly the resources are limited
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:22pm On Jan 10, 2019
U
ChrisKels:

These strikers once had the best midfielders behind them, yet couldn't get any medal. Imagine Okocha and Obodo of Perugia, Fiorentina and Udinese behind those strikers at some point and we still got our ass whipped by Drogba and co.

The NFF did not give us good coaches that period.

That team was highly gifted with quality players. That defense had Taiwo, Yobo, Apam/Ambrose and Odiah in defense. The Midfield had Okocha, Obodo, Kalu Uche, Oruma, Olofijana, Ayila and young Mikel. Kanu was an AM/ SS. We used strikers as wingers in Osaze, Utaka, Nsofor while Yakubu, Martins and Uche took their turns to play CF/SS
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:24pm On Jan 10, 2019
andrew444:

Nsofor is 29. He is about 34 now.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:25pm On Jan 10, 2019
andrew444:

Bro na injuries ruin Andy Obodo just as it has ruined Joel Obi, who also was super talented before the unfortunate injuries. Obodo was so good, Italy wanted to cap him even though he was already a Nigerian youth International. He left Platue United to set the Serie A ablaze with Perugia and all the big teams in Italy and abroad were scrambling for his siggy.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:26pm On Jan 10, 2019
Danielnino00:

If those guys weren't scoring goals,they were creating chance and assists...

The kind strikers we get now no be am at all...

Total Football. Some times it is good for us to go back and watch some of those old games for us to appreciate better where we were before now.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 10:27pm On Jan 10, 2019
ChrisKels:

At 31-32 his brother Kalu was tearing the Turkish league apart for newly promoted kasimpasa. At 34-35, same Kalu was banging in goals for Levante where our darling Simon Moses is a bench warmer now.

Yes bro ,at 31 kalu uche was the second top scorer at turkey with 19 goals

At levante he spent half season and still got some goals

At Moses Simon ...... smiles
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 10:29pm On Jan 10, 2019
Icon4s:

Nsofor is 29. He is about 34 now.

I am trying to say nsofor has been on decline since he is 29,nsofor is 31 at the moment

But in real life grandpa nsofor should be 40

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 10:29pm On Jan 10, 2019
Danielnino00:

More reason why we need to invest more in grassroot football.. not just at the national level but club level too...

There's football talent in this country! ..Sadly the resources are limited

I agree with you bro
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:29pm On Jan 10, 2019
Icon4s:
U

The NFF did not give us good coaches that period.

That team was highly gifted with quality players. That defense had Taiwo, Yobo, Apam/Ambrose and Odiah in defense. The Midfield had Okocha, Obodo, Kalu Uche, Oruma, Olofijana, Ayila and young Mikel. Kanu was an AM/ SS. We used strikers as wingers in Osaze, Utaka, Nsofor while Yakubu, Martins and Uche took their turns to play CF/SS

Onyekachi Apam, another talent ruined by injuries. At some point, Onyi was the only super Eagle with a captain armband in his European club, Nice in the ligue1
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 10:31pm On Jan 10, 2019
ChrisKels:

Bro na injuries ruin Andy Obodo just as it has ruined Joel Obi, who also was super talented before the unfortunate injuries. Obodo was so good, Italy wanted to cap him even though he was already a Nigerian youth International. He left Platue United to set the Serie A ablaze with Perugia and all the big teams in Italy and abroad were scrambling for his siggy.

I agree with you,thou obodo got more Seria A games than joel obi ,I think obodo is still playing now .

Naija best Seria A players to me

Martins
Obodo
Joel obi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:31pm On Jan 10, 2019
ChrisKels:

Ndubuisi Obodo didn't really have a good national team career.

His case was almost like that of Joel Obi.

Obodo was the new Okocha but he didn't really live up to expectations.

Obodo, Ogbeche and Justice Christopher were part of the 2001 Flying Eagles that couldnt qualify from the AYC group stage after all the hypes about how Stars studded the team was.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 10:34pm On Jan 10, 2019
ChrisKels:

Onyekachi Apam, another talent ruined by injuries. At some point, Onyi was the only super Eagle with a captain armband in his European club, Nice in the ligue1

Dt Apam and card na 5 and 6 grin grin grin

I preferred adeleye,d guy who roll up his short sleeves wyle playing to apam sha..Apam is a hard defender
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:38pm On Jan 10, 2019
Icon4s:

Ndubuisi Obodo didn't really have a good national team career.

His case was almost like that of Joel Obi.

Obodo was the new Okocha but he didn't really live up to expectations.

Obodo, Ogbeche and Justice Christopher were part of the 2001 Flying Eagles that couldnt qualify from the AYC group stage after all the hypes about how Stars studded the team was.

Yes they couldn't qualify buh Andy was the standout player. I blame Keshi for their failure.

About his Eagles career, he would have done better if he had stayed injury free. U cant fault him for that. Chris was the reason Muntari made it at Udinese. He was that good
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:39pm On Jan 10, 2019
andrew444:

I am trying to say nsofor has been on decline since he is 29,nsofor is 31 at the moment

But in real life grandpa nsofor should be 40

So are you saying his career started declining only 2 years ago?

Person wey no near SE for over 5 years grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:41pm On Jan 10, 2019
elyte89:

Dt Apam and card na 5 and 6 grin grin grin

I preferred adeleye,d guy who roll up his short sleeves wyle playing to apam sha..Apam is a hard defender

In Kalidou Koulibaly of Napoli, I see my young promising Onyekachi Apam. Both are similar players though Koulibaly has really polished his game over the last two years
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:44pm On Jan 10, 2019
ChrisKels:

Yes they couldn't qualify buh Andy was the standout player. I blame Keshi for their failure.

About his Eagles career, he would have done better if he had stayed injury free. U cant fault him for that. Chris was the reason Muntari made it at Udinese. He was that good

Andy who? Remind me please. Abi na Andy Okeke grin

Let me be sincere with you Christian Obodo was very good but over-hyped. A player peeps were already comparing to Okocha. He was injury free at the earlier part of his career at Least for the first two years of his SE career. Him no near Jay-jay abeg.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5359) (5360) (5361) (5362) (5363) (5364) (5365) ... (16336) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.