Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,331 members, 7,811,968 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:07 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (5636) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11611809 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5633) (5634) (5635) (5636) (5637) (5638) (5639) ... (16126) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 11:01am On Mar 21, 2019
Earthquake2:

Club
Doesn't start for City, Barca, Manure, Liverpool, Spuds (if Eriksen plays out wide - not better than Son), PSG, BVB(don't think he's better than Sancho at the moment)
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 11:12am On Mar 21, 2019
edi287:

Doesn't start for City, Barca, Manure, Liverpool, Spuds (if Eriksen plays out wide - not better than Son), PSG, BVB(don't think he's better than Sancho at the moment)

Have you ever watched Zaha?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 11:50am On Mar 21, 2019
Earthquake2:

Yes. Do you think he's better than Sane, Sterling, Son, Mane, Mbappe, Neymar, etc?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 11:54am On Mar 21, 2019
edi287:

Yes. Do you think he's better than Sane, Sterling, Son, Mane, Mbappe, Neymar, etc?

He's in the same class with them
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 12:08pm On Mar 21, 2019
Earthquake2:

He's in the same class with them
No. He doesn't have the end product and isn't better on the ball than any of them.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:15pm On Mar 21, 2019
edi287:

No. He doesn't have the end product and isn't better on the ball than any of them.

So Son is better on the ball than Zaha? I died tongue

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 12:44pm On Mar 21, 2019
edi287:

Ok

You are comparing Sane to Zaha, imagine if Zaha was in the Man city team
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chidi1: 1:04pm On Mar 21, 2019
Earthquake2:

Ok

You are comparing Sane to Zaha, imagine if Zaha was in the Man city team

Dude, I agree with you. Zaha exhibits class in his football. Imagine the roles reversed and Zaha in Man City. City would have been unbearable. Son in Crystal palace may not have much impact. Zaha is one of the most underrated players currently. That guy was a huge loss to England.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 1:14pm On Mar 21, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

So Son is better on the ball than Zaha? I died tongue

Dude is comparing Son, Sane Mane Sterling to Zaha on ball control grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 1:29pm On Mar 21, 2019
Personally, I will rank him after Neymar, Mbappe, and Mane. Zaha just doesn't get the credit he deserves because he plays for Crystal Palace coupled with the fact that he's African. The dude is wickedly talented.

O pari

edi287:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 1:40pm On Mar 21, 2019
LOL. I laugh in Swahili. We'll revisit this thread in a few months time, when the likes of Ighalo, Musa, Mikel, and Onazi prove to everyone, at the AFCON, that they are well past their sell by date. I think y'all are getting carried away because Musa had a decent World Cup and Ighalo played well in our last game.

Like I had said, when a player is over the hill, he can still have occasional good games but the problem is doing it on a CONSISTENT basis. That's when you'll find these guys wanting. Mark my words!

O pari

komekn:

First of all, the Super Eagles is ABSOLUTELY NOT the place you develop TALENT.

Talent is developed, nurtured and created in your club and league. It is recognised and appreciated by CONTINOUS CONSISTENT TOP QUALITY OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCES.

What you are proposing is to enthrone MEDIOCRITY create the framework for Nepotism, favoritism and corruption.

The players you have mentioned have not gone anywhere near the level that Ighalo, Ahmed Musa and Mikel Obi have attained, indeed they MAY NEVER EVER attain that level.

You do not put speculative potential over established proven and tested quality players . All because they have chosen to chase after huge amounts of £££€€€ in less competitive league.

Your approach will take us BACKWARDS.

Let Osimhen and Chukwueze prove and develop themselves first over a few season. They could easily turn out to be a small flash in the pan. I can not even call them." one season wonders" because they have have not even played one season of football yet, in addition they haven't done anything wondrous to upstage our trusted players. For goodness sake this is thier first season in competitive first team football.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:54pm On Mar 21, 2019
hmmm with that kind of mindset he will never be viewed as world class.
komekn:

He is the highest paid player in Crystal Palace.

Add to that he is very happy and content after the nightmare he experienced at Manchester United he may not be too kern to move.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:56pm On Mar 21, 2019
lol it's like there is a glitch in the matrix. for once i agree with you

komekn:

He is good but not " World class "
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:08pm On Mar 21, 2019
on your last paragraph i agree that osimhen and chukwueze have to continue to improve and gain consistency. talking about the seasons they have had so far i think both young men can be very satisfied. even if their respective leagues should end today they would have performed far more creditibly than there peers eg. dominic solanke grin. musa, mikel got call ups to the national team as unproven talents so that approach of calling potential star performers is not exactly novel.

with the super eagles yes only the absolute best consistent players should be invited but in instances where you have rare special players the selection criteria has to be relaxed in their favour.

komekn:

First of all, the Super Eagles is ABSOLUTELY NOT the place you develop TALENT.

Talent is developed, nurtured and created in your club and league. It is recognised and appreciated by CONTINOUS CONSISTENT TOP QUALITY OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCES.

What you are proposing is to enthrone MEDIOCRITY create the framework for Nepotism, favoritism and corruption.

The players you have mentioned have not gone anywhere near the level that Ighalo, Ahmed Musa and Mikel Obi have attained, indeed they MAY NEVER EVER attain that level.

You do not put speculative potential over established proven and tested quality players . All because they have chosen to chase after huge amounts of £££€€€ in less competitive league.

Your approach will take us BACKWARDS.

Let Osimhen and Chukwueze prove and develop themselves first over a few season. They could easily turn out to be a small flash in the pan. I can not even call them." one season wonders" because they have have not even played one season of football yet, in addition they haven't done anything wondrous to upstage our trusted players. For goodness sake this is thier first season in competitive first team football.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 2:40pm On Mar 21, 2019
Earthquake2:

Bro, Zaha is good but he is nowhere near World class. A world class attacker is one that can produce world class performances consistently seasons after seasons. For an attacker, productivity is key. You can check Zaha's stats from previous seasons to judge.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by klexycole(m): 2:48pm On Mar 21, 2019
Any news from the Super Eagles camp? cool

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 3:03pm On Mar 21, 2019
Icon79:
LOL. I laugh in Swahili. We'll revisit this thread in a few months time, when the likes of Ighalo, Musa, Mikel, and Onazi prove to everyone, at the AFCON, that they are well past their sell by date. I think y'all are getting carried away because Musa had a decent World Cup and Ighalo played well in our last game.

Like I had said, when a player is over the hill, he can still have occasional good games but the problem is doing it on a CONSISTENT basis. That's when you'll find these guys wanting. Mark my words!

O pari

I didnt go through everything to understand the point you are arguing but that part you highlighted is absolutely true. Super Eagles is not where you develop talent.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 3:09pm On Mar 21, 2019
Icon79:

O pari

Just because Mikel and few others got invited doesnt make it okay to randomly invite any player with a little flash. Super Easgle should be for tested and trusted legs not for amateurs. Osimhen and Chukwueze are not trusted legs that can face stiff opposition. I will still start Kelechi ahead of Osimhen ,today.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:12pm On Mar 21, 2019
Icon79:

O pari

Bros, to lay it out mathematically for you. The guys that you mentioned have an average age 28 years old. That's prime footballing age. Are u looking for embryos? Lol.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:22pm On Mar 21, 2019
Haha!! The highlighted actually made me laugh out loud grin grin

Coming to what you said, I think you're using their "football age". If you wanna talk about their real age, except for perhaps Mikel, none of those dudes is anything less than 34 years. To me, 34 is the retirement age in football.

O pari

raindodger13:

Bros, to lay it out mathematically for you. The guys that you mentioned have an average age 28 years old. That's prime footballing age. Are u looking for embryos? Lol.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:25pm On Mar 21, 2019
I am not arguing that we start using them for our regular games. My argument is that the meaningless game (dead rubber) against Seychelles would've been a good opportunity to TEST these young guns instead of inviting the same old brigade. Now is the time to start planning for life after the likes of Mikel, Musa, Ighalo, Onazi, etc. Those guys are not getting any younger despite what they may carry on their birth certificates.

O pari

OMANBALA1:

Just because Mikel and few others got invited doesnt make it okay to randomly invite any player with a little flash. Super Easgle should be for tested and trusted legs not for amateurs. Osimhen and Chukwueze are not trusted legs that can face stiff opposition. I will still start Kelechi ahead of Osimhen ,today.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:31pm On Mar 21, 2019
I totally agree that the national team is not where you develop talent. However, my argument is that we need to start building a new team. It isn't too early to start planning for Qatar 2022. The next world cup is barely 3 years away and I doubt if players like Musa, Onazi, Ighalo, Mikel, Balogun, Ezenwa, Akpeyi, etc are still going to be playing at top levels by that time.

O pari

OMANBALA1:

I didnt go through everything to understand the point you are arguing but that part you highlighted is absolutely true. Super Eagles is not where you develop talent.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:38pm On Mar 21, 2019
Curtisaxel7:

This is why people like me are needed.

People that will criticize floppy players no matter the barrage from their blind fans. When I talked about Iheanacho I was almost stoned to death on this thread.

I'm happy our eyes our clearing gradually.

I dare you to post stuff here consistently for one week and not mention Iheanacho grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 3:39pm On Mar 21, 2019
alekside:
Bro, Zaha is good but he is nowhere near World class. A world class attacker is one that can produce world class performances consistently seasons after seasons. For an attacker, productivity is key. You can check Zaha's stats from previous seasons to judge.

Zaha is single handedly carrying Crystal Palace on his back

Only the two goats can pull off what he has done, You want to compare a Man city or PSG stat to one in Crystal Palace?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:41pm On Mar 21, 2019
Icon79:
Haha!! The highlighted actually made me laugh out loud grin grin

Coming to what you said, I think you're using their "football age". If you wanna talk about their real age, except for perhaps Mikel, none of those dudes is anything less than 34 years. To me, 34 is the retirement age in football.

O pari

I honestly think this age fraud thing everyone keeps talking about is overrated. If we were guilty of the blantant age fraud like people keep claiming, FIFA has the means and could have easily found evidence to prosecute us. Esepecially us being Nigeria and not France, Germany, England or Brazil.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 3:42pm On Mar 21, 2019
alekside:

If he had been taking penalties this season his stat would have been as good as Hazard's

And Hazard is in Chelsea

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:46pm On Mar 21, 2019
OK. So tell me, why do our players start heading into the retirement (and backwater) leagues when they are supposedly 28 - at their peak?

Any thoughts grin

O pari

raindodger13:

I honestly think this age fraud thing everyone keeps talking about is overrated. If we were guilty of the blantant age fraud like people keep claiming FIFA has the means and could have easily found evidence to prosecute us. Esepecially us being Nigeria and not a France, Germany, England or Brazil.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:04pm On Mar 21, 2019
Icon79:
OK. So tell me, why do our players start heading into the retirement (and backwater) leagues when they are supposedly 28 - at their peak?

Any thoughts grin

O pari

That's because in the eyes of the football world Nigerian players aren't valued these days, so naturally they end up in backwater leagues or are constantly on loan. Generally, if I want to estimate the age of a player I look at when their professional career started. I can give evidence but will be difficult for me to post it on this forum. I could post the links if thats fine with you.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gustav25: 4:23pm On Mar 21, 2019
alekside:
The guy just tire me.
The same way Iheanacho Nacho mbappe better than kylian Kelechi is getting into leceister city Abi ? And posting Zaha's stats ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 4:34pm On Mar 21, 2019
Kazakhstan schooling Scotland 2-0

There are no more small boys in football
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:35pm On Mar 21, 2019
Earthquake2:

Zaha is single handedly carrying Crystal Palace on his back

Only the two goats can pull off what he has done, You want to compare a Man city or PSG stat to one in Crystal Palace?
I get your point Bro. You should understand that players like Zaha tend to up their game when playing in a team filled with average to below average players. If he is a World class player as you believe, he would have been snapped up by any of the big teams.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:41pm On Mar 21, 2019
Earthquake2:

If he had been taking penalties this season his stat would have been as good as Hazard's

And Hazard is in Chelsea
The same Zaha that had a dry spell of 18 games? grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (5633) (5634) (5635) (5636) (5637) (5638) (5639) ... (16126) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Softbreastt, Ppogbae and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.