Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,473 members, 7,843,449 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 05:13 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6111) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11825451 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6108) (6109) (6110) (6111) (6112) (6113) (6114) ... (16230) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:44am On Jun 07, 2019
OMANBALA1:

Firstly, I dont like the country called england and queen eliza and their over-hyped players that never worth a sshhit. But I am neither sentimental nor bias....I am yet to see an English groomed player that blew my mind. I meant those who have played for Nigeria. From Abbey George, Sodje , Ekoku, etc.

Victor Moses nko?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by timay(m): 7:52am On Jun 07, 2019
OMANBALA1:
Simon Moses excelled as a wing forward in training. Until they play him as a AM I think he will never achieve his full potentials. Simon Moses is not a traditional winger , I think he was born to play in the middle due to his ability to operate in small spaces, energy and discipline....Everything Iwobi lacks!

By energy , you mean gra gra grin

Playing as an attacking Midfielder is much more than muscling your way in the midfield, it is about vision and pin point defence splitting passes.

If it is about the muscle and energy, people like Christen Eriksen, Dele Ali, Modric, Toni Kroos, that are known to be light weight and will not even thrive in the position.

Infact, that energy of his, is only needed in the wings to muscle and dribble, and it can be used in the middle as a defensive midfielder.

you want to deligate an Attacking midfield job to someone that can't even make accurate crosses most of the times.

Attacking midfield job that is not about sideways passing or your regular passing, it involves intelligent passing, that is different from the regular one.

A defence splitting passes is an attribute of an AM. Iwobi might not be the best Midfielder in the world, but he's intelligent with his passes. Even when he plays as a winger for Arsenal , the way he split defences with his passes even as a winger will make you just marvel.

Most of you pick on the guy whenever he has a bad game at Arsenal, which you all know is mostly not his fault, but people has made it into an habit to use him as a scape goat most of the time.

The Afcon qualifiers we played, Iwobi created more chances than any other midfielder during the qualifier, he was the reason we never missed Mikel in the creativity aspect during the qualifier, and I'm sure Mikel himself knows that he will probably have to be in top of his game if he doesn't want Iwobi to take his AM role in the competition, cos I don't see Rohr using him in the wings any time soon.

In conclusion, being an attacking Midfielder is much more than running aimlessly and muscling your way in the midfield. If you doubt me, ask Etebo. He was the person that we thought that will play our AMF after Mikel, but it is obvious the guy still needs to sort out his final passes. He only has strength and pace, that is why he was relegated to the central Midfield position

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:02am On Jun 07, 2019
zoboizee:
Experimenting players prior to a major competition in a position they are not well familiar with is a recipe for failure. Aigbogun did it with most of his players recently. Rohr by now should have been well acquainted with the right personnel for various positions in his team. The standard is 23 players. Of which he is to have probably;

3 -Goalkeepers
4 -Centre backs
2 -Rightbacks
2- Leftbacks
4 -Defensive midfielders
2 -Attacking midfielders
2 -Right wingers
2 -Left wingers
2 -Strikers

It is one of the reasons the team oftentimes inspired less confidence in matches because they tend to struggle. Making players jack of all trade & master of none really devalue their qualities.

Iwobi is the only one that can atleast try in the AMF hence three strikes should be considered.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:11am On Jun 07, 2019
darkelf:

Common pass ooo
grin cheesy
Lol... they barely can pass...onazi seems to be the worst amongst them.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by iSlayer: 8:15am On Jun 07, 2019
OMANBALA1:
Simon Moses excelled as a wing forward in training. Until they play him as a AM I think he will never achieve his full potentials. Simon Moses is not a traditional winger , I think he was born to play in the middle due to his ability to operate in small spaces, energy and discipline....Everything Iwobi lacks!

I strongly disagree with that. Does he have the passing ability/technique and vision to make THAT pass? There Iwobi trumps any day. Industry doesn't make a 10.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:16am On Jun 07, 2019
timay:

By energy , you mean gra gra grin

Playing as an attacking Midfielder is much more than muscling your way in the midfield, it is about vision and pin point defence splitting passes.

If it is about the muscle and energy, people like Christen Eriksen, Dele Ali, Modric, Toni Kroos, that are known to be light weight and will not even thrive in the position.

Infact, that energy of his, is only needed in the wings to muscle and dribble, and it can be used in the middle as a defensive midfielder.

you want to deligate an Attacking midfield job to someone that can't even make accurate crosses most of the times.

Attacking midfield job that is not about sideways passing or your regular passing, it involves intelligent passing, that is different from the regular one.

A defence splitting passes is an attribute of an AM. Iwobi might not be the best Midfielder in the world, but he's intelligent with his passes. Even when he plays as a winger for Arsenal , the way he split defences with his passes even as a winger will make you just marvel.

Most of you pick on the guy whenever he has a bad game at Arsenal, which you all know is mostly not his fault, but people has made it into an habit to use him as a scape goat most of the time.

The Afcon qualifiers we played, Iwobi created more chances than any other midfielder during the qualifier, he was the reason we never missed Mikel in the creativity aspect during the qualifier, and I'm sure Mikel himself knows that he will probably have to be in top of his game if he doesn't want Iwobi to take his AM role in the competition, cos I don't see Rohr using him in the wings any time soon.

In conclusion, being an attacking Midfielder is much more than running aimlessly and muscling your way in the midfield. If you doubt me, ask Etebo. He was the person that we thought that will play our AMF after Mikel, but it is obvious the guy still needs to sort out his final passes. He only has strength and pace, that is why he was relegated to the central Midfield position

thanks bro...it Is obvious that many of us here are still conversant with the traditional role of an AM...

same way I laugh when some said Victor Moses should be played in the AM role then...
a player who barely release ball and not so good in giving killer passes.

Iwobi should be played as AM and Mikel CM he is the pirlo of the team and good in long range passes like the one given to ighalo against Cameroon.... while nacho can come in for iwobi always and Etebo for Mikel...and as for Ogu only God knows why he is in the team....

because I will take Semi Ajayi over him any day any time.....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by iSlayer: 8:18am On Jun 07, 2019
Earthquake2:

Yea I think he will excel as an attacking central midfielder (He doesn't have a defence splitting pass)

He doesn't even have blistering pace for a winger and his passes are very good, I see him as a Wilnaldium

Oshe jor (That bracketed point is everything).
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:19am On Jun 07, 2019
iSlayer:

I strongly disagree with that. Does he have the passing ability/technique and vision to make that pass? There Iwobi trumps any day. Industry doesn't make a 10.

thank you....
the fundamental role of an AM is to link the midfield with the attack.....
and this often done by his ability to retain and release the ball when necessary by giving defensive split passes

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by iSlayer: 8:20am On Jun 07, 2019
Humility017:

An AM should be a good passer of the ball
someone that can comfortably link the midfield with the attack...

some one that can retain and release the ball quickly...when necessary.
some one that can give deadly pass and spot a striker well positioned from a distance....

that is an AM...

so can Moses Simon play this role?
the answer is NO..

Humility baba. Osheeee.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by timay(m): 8:24am On Jun 07, 2019
Humility017:

thanks bro...it Is obvious that many of us here are still conversant with the traditional role of an AM...

same way I laugh when some said Victor Moses should be played in the AM role then...
a player who barely release ball and not so good in giving killer passes.

Iwobi should be played as AM and Mikel CM he is the pirlo of the team and good in long range passes like the one given to ighalo against Cameroon.... while nacho can come in for iwobi always and Etebo for Mikel...and as for Ogu only God knows why he is in the team....

because I will take Semi Ajayi over him any day any time.....

They think AMF role is about gra gra and running aimlessly.

They want people that can't even cross accurately and are very selfish on the ball to come and play attacking midfield role. People that'll rather dribble into a tight corner instead of releasing passes to a striker Making a fine run, thereby messing up the run of play.

May be they think the role is only about aimless running and dribbling though. grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:26am On Jun 07, 2019
andrew444:

Football is money bros

Even Ruben neves left fc Porto for championship side wolves for a 60k per week salary and the transfer fee was 20 million euros which was a record fee in the champions league ,so championship football attracted Ruben neves abi na money ?

Deportivo and co are bigger club than most Epl club but they can't compete for players because they are poor ,if they have the financial power like Epl small teams then they will win players over

You have still refused to answer my question ,how did Samuel eto ended up at Anzhi ahead of Epl teams ? Is it not because of money ? Or you want me to tell you that Russian league attract players more than the Epl ?

How did William ended up at Anzhi ahead of European big boys expecially the Epl teams ?

The sold Willian and co because they later have financial issues

I hope you will get my point now at least

The point is not about few top players but transfer might. Anzhi could pull some plots of getting some top players but the EPL has the highest coup. It is not about bigger clubs but transfer might and the EPL reigns King.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:28am On Jun 07, 2019
andrew444:

Rodgers is average which makes him not world class ,so you expect guardiola to talk down on guardiola abi ?

Put Rodgers in Tottenham and they will never make top 4 as pochetino is doing

That is far from fact. If Rodgers was in Tottenham with the current crop of a players, they would make top four. Are you forgetting how he used Leicester City to rip Arsenal apart and caused City trouble.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by iSlayer: 8:29am On Jun 07, 2019
OMANBALA1:

Your first sentence is exactly why I think he doesn't fit the winger role and with what we are spoiled with right now with regards to wingers he will not cut it...Onyekuru, Samuel Kalu and Chukwueze..phew! Efe enyero.

And you are wrong about his passes. As a winger his crosses are questionable but he can run with the ball and play a decent low passes that can split defenses. Right now we dont know where the brother belong...wing forward ? winger ? left back ?

He is a winger. He's only being tried as wingback because he's not awesome as a winger but he puts in a good defensive shift. Automatically, any coach will consider such player for a wingback role. Personally, I strongly dislike such though. It hampers their development as an attacker.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:32am On Jun 07, 2019
forgiveness:

But that only happens when you don't have an option.

In this case, we have options in Eze and Onomah and I think they should be given the chance to prove themselves after the nations cup.

Are they options in this AFCON team?

Every coach would want to have the best of options but in the absence of it they make do with what they have. We are focusing on the AFCON team. That is the discussion.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:38am On Jun 07, 2019
OMANBALA1:

Simon lacks the creativity of an AM. It is not just about running through small space. Same reason for which Etebo hasn't performed well in that position.

Simon is a Winger.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:43am On Jun 07, 2019
andrew444:

Lol make I no lie I don even tire ,inside thegoodjoe and forgiveness I no no who argue pass

I wonder who is the one dragging the argument here. I talked about EPL attracting higher grade of players and you came with bigger club talk with has no relevance to the point I made.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:50am On Jun 07, 2019
timay:

They think AMF role is about gra gra and running aimlessly.

They want people that can't even cross accurately and are very selfish on the ball to come and play attacking midfield role. People that'll rather dribble into a tight corner instead of releasing passes to a striker Making a fine run, thereby messing up the run of play.

May be they think the role is only about aimless running and dribbling though. grin

These are the attributes of Harzard and he is an AMF/Winger.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 8:55am On Jun 07, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

I wonder who is the one dragging the argument here. I talked about EPL attracting higher grade of players and you came with bigger club talk with has no relevance to the point I made.

What higher grade of player that they keep on shopping from laliga small teams
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 8:56am On Jun 07, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

That is far from fact. If Rodgers was in Tottenham with the current crop of a players, they would make top four. Are you forgetting how he used Leicester City to rip Arsenal apart and caused City trouble.

So ripping Arsenal and tearing city apart means achievement ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 8:59am On Jun 07, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

The point is not about few top players but transfer might. Anzhi could pull some plots of getting some top players but the EPL has the highest coup. It is not about bigger clubs but transfer might and the EPL reigns King.

Epl is highest coup and they could not beat an unknown Anzhi to a player

They could not also beat a Chinese club in the signing of a certain Anderson talisca ?

I dey give you proof but you dey run away from proof

Carrasco ignored Epl for china also

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by timay(m): 9:02am On Jun 07, 2019
forgiveness:

These are the attributes of Harzard and he is an AMF/Winger.

If you're trying to say Hazard is selfish, well I agree, and he's selfish with good end product. And more so, being selfish is relative, cos Hazard has his goals and high number of assist to show for it. What does Simon have to show for his selfishness, nothing, except for wastefulness.

And second point, if you are trying to say that Hazard can't cross the ball, then you are a joker that needs not to be taken seriously.

Lastly Hazard is a true and true winger, not AMF. He has never at any point played as an AMF.

the only position I know he has played is the False 9 position, which he played sometimes under Chelsea former coach, Conte

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:08am On Jun 07, 2019
iSlayer:

He is a winger. He's only being tried as wingback because he's not awesome as a winger but he puts in a good defensive shift. Automatically, any coach will consider such player for a wingback role. Personally, I strongly dislike such though. It hampers their development as an attacker.

He has played as a wingback on few occasions.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:14am On Jun 07, 2019
timay:

If you're trying to say Hazard is selfish, well I agree, and he's selfish with good end product. And more so, being selfish is relative, cos Hazard has his goals and high number of assist to show for it. What does Simon have to show for his selfishness, nothing, except for wastefulness.

And second point, if you are trying to say that Hazard can't cross the ball, then you are a joker that needs not to be taken seriously.

Lastly Hazard is a true and true winger, not AMF. He has never at any point played as an AMF.

the only position I know he has played is the False 9 position, which he played sometimes under Chelsea former coach, Conte

You don't know anything about Hazard or Chelsea yet you are pretending to know. As a fan, I want Hazard out because he is a spoiler and at the same time a redeemer.

If you are a Chelsea fan, you go know wetin we know.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by benitochakone(m): 10:00am On Jun 07, 2019
Southampton have agreed a £13.5m deal to sign Nigerian striker David Okereke from Serie B side Spezia. According to The Sun newspaper today.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 10:04am On Jun 07, 2019
benitochakone:
Southampton have agreed a £13.5m deal to sign Nigerian striker David Okereke from Serie B side Spezia. According to The Sun newspaper today.
from here, to Liverpool grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:05am On Jun 07, 2019
Icon4s:

Simon lacks the creativity of an AM. It is not just about running through small space. Same reason for which Etebo hasn't performed well in that position.

Simon is a Winger.
Simeon Moses as AM is bewildering
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by iSlayer: 10:07am On Jun 07, 2019
forgiveness:

He has played as a wingback on few occasions.

I don't get your point.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CoolJulian: 10:12am On Jun 07, 2019
Iwobi is the best option for that attacking midfield, though he doesn't seem completely convincing, he tires out easily....Fact is, he still has time on his hands to perfect that role.

The AM role is therefore the least competitive and calls for worry. I just cannot seem to notice anyone who can play that role to perfection. Perhaps, they are somewhere, but haven't somehow been discovered.

I disagree that Simon be tried out cos he doesn't seem to necessarily possess the attributes. As for Etebo, I knew from day one that, that position couldn't be his. I think his physicality flattered a lot of people.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by timay(m): 10:14am On Jun 07, 2019
Kog45:
Simeon Moses as AM is bewildering

As in

I don't even know the mumu that even brought the nonsense up.

Person wey never stamp his authority even as a winger, they are thinking of AM again.

Crazy people just full here, walahi.

They even had to down play Iwobi's midfield role in the team, just to push their useless agenda.

May be because they are already seeing the handwriting on the wall , that the guy won't get to play in the Afcon due to the fact that we now have a lot of options in the wing, his handlers are now looking to push him into the midfield role.

Very pathetic
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:15am On Jun 07, 2019
benitochakone:

Is he eligible for work permit?

I don't know what we are gaining from being a commonwealth member.

I just believe England wants to Lord over us.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by benitochakone(m): 10:20am On Jun 07, 2019
forgiveness:

Is he eligible for work permit?

I don't know what we are gaining from being a commonwealth member.

I just believe England wants to Lord over us.

Maybe he has an Italian passport... Just sayin. Am sure the club would have done its home work before agreeing any deal
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:21am On Jun 07, 2019
CoolJulian:
Iwobi is the best option for that attacking midfield,though he doesn't seem completely convincing,he tires out easily....fact is,he still has time on his hands to perfect that role.

The AM role is therefore the least competitive and calls for worry. I just cannot seem to notice anyone who can play that role to perfection. Perhaps,they are somewhere,but haven't somehow been discovered.

I disagree that Simon be tried out cos he doesn't seem to necessarily possess the attributes. As for Etebo,I knew from day one that that position couldn't be his. I think his physicality flattered a lot of people.

Eze and Onomah should have been tried before AFCON but Rohr wants to be loyal to his boys.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6108) (6109) (6110) (6111) (6112) (6113) (6114) ... (16230) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.