Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,528 members, 7,826,981 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:15 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6160) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11738438 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6157) (6158) (6159) (6160) (6161) (6162) (6163) ... (16176) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 2:20pm On Jun 11, 2019
Jarus:

We won on the field, but because we fielded an ineligible player, we were awarded loss weeks later.

This was in the 2018 WC qualifiers.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/sports/football/252267-world-cup-fifa-rules-nigeria-awards-algeria-3-0.html

Lols

That's true I remember now
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:20pm On Jun 11, 2019
yeah awarded full points to algeria

andrew444:

Okay bro

They deducted the point from us right ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 2:21pm On Jun 11, 2019
If you want a personalized artwork you can call 0-9-0-2-4-5-0-5-9-3-7

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 2:22pm On Jun 11, 2019
Truidstar:

Senegal and CIV have good players, but we have a team.

I know they also issues with team, but I don't think we have a team too.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 2:23pm On Jun 11, 2019
chrisooblog:
yeah awarded full points to algeria

Thanks God we had enough gap to still top the group after the 3 point deduction, otherwise, we would not have gone for that WC.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:24pm On Jun 11, 2019
midfield is their strongest point but attack is looking a bit weak with an old gyan and misfiring jordan ayew. i'm however not completely dismissing their chances based on their pedigree and history in recent AFCONs

andrew444:
Jordan ayew making Ghana 23 man squad after a poor season just 1 goal while majid waris with a better season than him being dropped

Apart from some midfielders from Seria A and Thomas partey ,the rest Ghanaians player are below average

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 2:25pm On Jun 11, 2019
chrisooblog:
midfield is their strongest point but attack is looking a bit weak with an old gyan and misfiring jordan ayew. i'm however not completely dismissing their chances based on their pedigree and history in recent AFCONs

That's true as they have a good midfield

Defence is not that strong also

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:25pm On Jun 11, 2019
yeah terrible oversight by the NFF then. remember Pinnick had to issue a statement apologizing

Jarus:

Thanks God we had enough gap to still top the group after the 3 point deduction, otherwise, we would not have gone for that WC.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 2:34pm On Jun 11, 2019
chrisooblog:

Midfield is Ghana's traditional strong point, just as Nigeria tends to produce attackers (strikers & wingers) more.

Some of the best footballers in Ghanaian history (Abedi Pele, Essien, Appiah, Muntari, etc) were midfielders.

Compared to Ghana's team of old, this team is not strong, but Ghana's strength has always been that nationalistic fighting spirit on the field. Like Cameroun, their players are usually very committed, and take national team assignment very seriously. You see them wailing seriously after losing a match. Compared to our players who hardly cry when we lose an important match.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:35pm On Jun 11, 2019
true

Jarus:

Midfield is Ghana's traditional strong point, just as Nigeria tends to produce attackers more.

Some of the best footballers in Ghanaian history (Abedi Pele, Essien, Appiah, Muntari, etc) were midfielders.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 2:42pm On Jun 11, 2019
Which player Senegal get? I don't rate Morrocco and Senegal.
Watch out for Nigeria, Ivory coast, Cameroon and Egypt.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:47pm On Jun 11, 2019
[quote author=Earthquake2 post=79215781][/quote]

The players participating are the under 15 players.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 3:03pm On Jun 11, 2019
fabyom:

Player for player, Senegal easily trumps Nigeria.

We don't have any player as big as Khalidou Koulibaly and Sadio Mane. Inter's Keita Balde is also highly rated.

See the clubs their players play and compare with ours.

SENEGAL SQUAD
Goalkeepers: Abdoulaye Diallo (Rennes, France), Alfred Gomis (Spal, Italy), Edouard Mendy (Reims, France)

Defenders: Kalidou Koulibaly (Napoli, Italy), Moussa Wague (FC Barcelona, Spain), Pape Abdou Cisse (Olympiacos, Greece), Salif Sane (Schalke,Germany), Youssouf Sabaly (Bordeaux,France), Lamine Gassama (Goztepe, Turkey), Saliou Ciss (Valenciennes, France), Cheikhou Kouyate (Crystal Palace, England)

Midfielders: Alfred Ndiaye (Malaga, Spain), Santy Ngom (Nancy, France), Idrissa Gana Gueye (Everton, England), Keprin Diatta (Club Brugge, Belgium), Pape Alioune Ndiaye (Galatasaray, Turkey), Sidy Sarr (Lorient, France), Henri Saivet (Bursaspor, Turkey)

Forwards: Ismaila Sarr (Rennes, France), Keita Balde (Inter Milan, Italy), Mbye Niang (Rennes, France), Moussa Konate (Amiens, France), Mbaye Diagne (Galatasaray, Turkey), Sada Thioub (Nimes, France), Sadio Mane (Liverpool, England)

As for Morocco, I hope you know that 2 key members of the Ajax team are from Morocco. They also have players in Borrusia Dortmund, etc

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:18pm On Jun 11, 2019
good squad although most of them were at the last AFCON so they are not invincible

Jarus:

We don't have any player as big as Khalidou Koulibaly and Sadio Mane. Inter's Keita Balde is also highly rated.

SENEGAL SQUAD
Goalkeepers: Abdoulaye Diallo (Rennes, France), Alfred Gomis (Spal, Italy), Edouard Mendy (Reims, France)

Defenders: Kalidou Koulibaly (Napoli, Italy), Moussa Wague (FC Barcelona, Spain), Pape Abdou Cisse (Olympiacos, Greece), Salif Sane (Schalke,Germany), Youssouf Sabaly (Bordeaux,France), Lamine Gassama (Goztepe, Turkey), Saliou Ciss (Valenciennes, France), Cheikhou Kouyate (Crystal Palace, England)

Midfielders: Alfred Ndiaye (Malaga, Spain), Santy Ngom (Nancy, France), Idrissa Gana Gueye (Everton, England), Keprin Diatta (Club Brugge, Belgium), Pape Alioune Ndiaye (Galatasaray, Turkey), Sidy Sarr (Lorient, France), Henri Saivet (Bursaspor, Turkey)

Forwards: Ismaila Sarr (Rennes, France), Keita Balde (Inter Milan, Italy), Mbye Niang (Rennes, France), Moussa Konate (Amiens, France), Mbaye Diagne (Galatasaray, Turkey), Sada Thioub (Nimes, France), Sadio Mane (Liverpool, England)

As for Morocco, I hope you know that 2 key members of the Ajax team are from Morocco. They also have players in Borrusia Dortmund, etc
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 3:23pm On Jun 11, 2019
If we are to rank the AFCON bound teams by their squad strength, it would be

1. Senegal

2. Ivory Coast

3. Morocco

4. Nigeria

5. Algeria

But in AFCON, your chance of winning doesn't always depend on the strength of your squad....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jun 11, 2019
Jarus:

SENEGAL SQUAD

Na by player dem take dey win tournament?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 3:26pm On Jun 11, 2019
Throwback to Cameroon's 2002 AFCON kit grin

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 3:30pm On Jun 11, 2019
chrisooblog:
good squad although most of them were at the last AFCON so they are not invincible

Senegal has had good players in the last 5 years but bad team. They did poorly in last AFCON and WC with same team.

They are looking like CIV's golden generation of Drogba, Toure brothers, Kalou, etc. They didn't win anything until Drogba and co quit.

But you will always rate them as one of favorites in pre-tournament rating because they have the quality.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 3:30pm On Jun 11, 2019
As if the first one wasn't enough, Cameroon went to the 2004 AFCON with a one-piece kit.. grin

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 3:33pm On Jun 11, 2019
Truidstar:

Na by player dem take dey win tournament?

I was replying to a specific poster disputing the fact that Senegal has players.

fabyom:
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 3:35pm On Jun 11, 2019
Danielnino00:
If we are to rank the AFCON bound teams by their squad strength, it would be

1. Senegal

2. Ivory Coast

3. Morocco

4. Nigeria

5. Algeria

But in AFCON, your chance of winning doesn't always depend on the strength of your squad....

Yes, ask CIV and Ghana in previous editions.

Zambia won with a first 11 that will not even make the 23 man squad of CIV, Ghana and even Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 3:47pm On Jun 11, 2019
Jarus:

SENEGAL SQUAD

Average midfield and attack. Nothing spectacular here!
Ivory coast is the real deal in terms of squad.
But in terms of big game temperament on the African continent; Nigeria, Cameroon and Egypt even Ghana.
Senegal and Morrocco, even if all their players are playing in Liverpool that cannot win this year's Nations Cup.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Olulong(m): 3:54pm On Jun 11, 2019
Truidstar:

Senegal and CIV have good players, but we have a team.

sorry but I don't totally agree dat Ivory Coast has better players maybe a few excellent players like Zaha, Kessie or Pepe but the rest are just average players but for Senegal they should win this AFCON based on the quality of thier squad
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Olulong(m): 4:02pm On Jun 11, 2019
fabyom:
But in terms of big game temperament on the African continent; Nigeria, Cameroon and Egypt even Ghana.
Senegal and Morrocco, even if all their players are playing in Liverpool that cannot win this year's Nations Cup.

Ivory Coast full squad :
Goalkeepers : Sylvain Gbohouo (TP Mazembe), Ali Badra (Free State Stars), Tape Ira (FC San Pedro)

Defenders: Serge Aurier (Tottenham), Wilfried Kanon (ADO The Hague), Wonlo Coulibaly (ASEC Mimosas), Ismaël Traoré (Angers), Mamadou Bagayoko (Red Star), Cheikh Comara (Wydad Casablanca), Souleyman Bamba (Rennes)

Midfielders : Jean-Philippe Gbamin (Mainz), Geoffrey Serey Dié (Neuchâtel Xamax), Jean-Michaël Seri (Fulham), Victorian Angban (Metz), Franck Kessié (Milan) , Ibrahim Sangaré (Toulouse)

Strikers: Max-Alain Gradel (Toulouse), Nicolas Pépé (Lille), Wilfried Zaha (Crystal Palace), Jonathan Kodjia (Aston Villa), Roger Assalé (Young Boys Bern), Maxwel Cornet (Lyon), Wilfried Bony (Without a club).

How is dis team better than Senegal's own.
I don't even think it's better than Nigeria's own sef

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jun 11, 2019
Olulong:

sorry but I don't totally agree dat Ivory Coast has better players maybe a few excellent players like Zaha, Kessie or Pepe but the rest are just average players but for Senegal they should win this AFCON based on the quality of thier squad

I said they have good players, not better players.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:06pm On Jun 11, 2019
Like I have always said. Let Morroco, Egypt, Senegal, Ghana, Cameroon and all survive the group stage first before we start talking of who will likely win. Football is a funny old game.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 4:15pm On Jun 11, 2019
average? guy they are a fearsome squad the only slightly weak area i see in their squad is midfield but even that is because of their lack of creative type midfielders which is not even their style anyway. you will see how good they are when we play them on sunday

fabyom:
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 4:16pm On Jun 11, 2019
if i should talk now my guy andrew will show grin i prefer he sees it for himself when AFCON starts

Olulong:

Ivory Coast full squad :
Goalkeepers : Sylvain Gbohouo (TP Mazembe), Ali Badra (Free State Stars), Tape Ira (FC San Pedro)

Defenders: Serge Aurier (Tottenham), Wilfried Kanon (ADO The Hague), Wonlo Coulibaly (ASEC Mimosas), Ismaël Traoré (Angers), Mamadou Bagayoko (Red Star), Cheikh Comara (Wydad Casablanca), Souleyman Bamba (Rennes)

Midfielders : Jean-Philippe Gbamin (Mainz), Geoffrey Serey Dié (Neuchâtel Xamax), Jean-Michaël Seri (Fulham), Victorian Angban (Metz), Franck Kessié (Milan) , Ibrahim Sangaré (Toulouse)

Strikers: Max-Alain Gradel (Toulouse), Nicolas Pépé (Lille), Wilfried Zaha (Crystal Palace), Jonathan Kodjia (Aston Villa), Roger Assalé (Young Boys Bern), Maxwel Cornet (Lyon), Wilfried Bony (Without a club).

How is dis team better than Senegal's own.
I don't even think it's better than Nigeria's own sef
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 4:20pm On Jun 11, 2019
fabyom:

Who in our attack can you compare to Mane or Mbaye Diagne?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Olulong(m): 4:21pm On Jun 11, 2019
chrisooblog:
average? guy they are a fearsome squad the only slightly weak area i see in their squad is midfield but even that is because of their lack of creative type midfielders which is not even their style anyway. you will see how good they are when we play them on sunday

Yh Senegalese team are typically solid sides so they usually do not play possessive football.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 4:26pm On Jun 11, 2019
Truidstar:
Like I have always said. Let Morroco, Egypt, Senegal, Ghana, Cameroon and all survive the group stage first before we start talking of who will likely win. Football is a funny old game.

This is AFCON, not World Cup. Egypt won 3 consecutive times, were away for a couple of editions and came back to get to final.

It's either Egypt don't qualify or they go very far.

Egypt will easily get to semis in this tournament.

I have not even talked of home advantage in a country that is arguably Africa's most football crazy, a country where 1 million people voted for Salah in their presidential election without being on ballot - they are that crazy about football. If you are playing against such team in their home, you know what their fans can do.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jun 11, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

How dare you call a future U17 player an elder? grin u wan make the 500k I dey save in vain abi? E no go work for una grin

Chief Basco, the youngest old man. Meanwhile how much ban dem dash Rabiu who behaved like a rabid dog. I hope it's possible to prosecute him for physical assault and endangerment what if the crowd violence had led to something more sinister?
Rabiu an international really messed up.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6157) (6158) (6159) (6160) (6161) (6162) (6163) ... (16176) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: do4luv14(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.