Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,224 members, 7,811,624 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:55 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6171) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11607603 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6168) (6169) (6170) (6171) (6172) (6173) (6174) ... (16125) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:25pm On Jun 12, 2019
Our first goal - I looked at it from different angles and it looks like the ball struck Oparanozie's hand. I don't know the angle the VAR folks used but all the angles shown on the TV here (Fox Soccer Channel) looks like the ball touched her hand.

The Korean equalizer - the Korean player was onside. They even put a line through the field and it shows that she was on. Lucky for us, the ref decided not to check the VAR on that one.

O pari

mostob:
why should our first goal be called back?
Why do u think the korean's equaliser should have stand?
Goals win u match not passes. Althouph, today's win should not take away the fact that this team is not performing to expectations.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:28pm On Jun 12, 2019
Who is watching Ebuka David? cool Lobi vs Kano
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sainty92: 7:34pm On Jun 12, 2019
Bolowolowo:

The victories actually aren't the same. Iceland was a competitive European team that proved their class by going to the quarterfinals of Euro 2016 and muscling through Euro qualification (they defeated Croatia) and played well in the 1-1 draw with the Argentines. South Korea represents the drastic gulf of talent and competitiveness that exists in international female football. A win against the Koreans isn't anything to brag about.
Bro, Korea is 14th on the women's FIFA ranking compared to falcons 38. Iceland u are hyping is 40th on the male FIFA ranking. So how is Korea a drastic gulf of talent? Give kudos wen it's due. The super falcons are not convincing but atleast say nice words for their victory today

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 7:35pm On Jun 12, 2019
BBC must relate everything to british

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PDPGuy: 7:38pm On Jun 12, 2019
Icon79:
Our first goal - I looked at it from different angles and it looks like the ball struck Oparanozie's hand. I don't know the angle the VAR folks used but all the angles shown on the TV here (Fox Soccer Channel) looks like the ball touched her hand.

The Korean equalizer - the Korean player was onside. They even put a line through the field and it shows that she was on. Lucky for us, the ref decided not to check the VAR on that one.

O pari

I also watched the Fox Sports angle, and the replays were, at best, inconclusive on whether Oparanozie handled the ball. The motion of her fist towards the ball could deceive someone to come to a definite conclusion that it hit her hand. But watching closely, the pace and direction of the ball did not change after the Korean player volleyed it towards her goal.

On the disallowed Korean goal, VAR clearly showed that the right shoulder of the Korean player was ahead of the 2nd to last Nigerian player. So, she was clearly (even if by millimeters) offside there.

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 7:44pm On Jun 12, 2019
Icon79:
Respect what? They are still clueless and shambolic. This result actually flatters them. I mean, they were lucky today (or shall we say, the officiating helped them a lot)

First, our first goal should've been called back but it was allowed to stand.
Secondly, the South Korean equalizer was actually good but they ruled it off.

All in all, South Korea was the better team today. They played with more cohesion and created better chances, but they were goal shy.

O pari

guy are you for real the South Koreans goal was clearly offside while our first goal was debatable I guess they decided to give us the benefit of the doubt.

You don't have to like the way we play today but respect these women it is not beans to beat a country ranked 20 places higher than you are

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:44pm On Jun 12, 2019
To be fair, I don't disagree with anything you just said but I just don't know how and why I found the bolded quite funny.

I actually laughed out LOUD, believe it or not.

O pari

PDPGuy:

I also watched the Fox Sports angle, and the replays were, at best, inconclusive on whether Oparanozie handled the ball. The motion of her fist towards the ball could deceive someone to come to a definite conclusion that it hit her hand. But watching closely, the pace and direction of the ball did not change after the Korean player volleyed it towards her goal.

On the disallowed Korean goal, VAR clearly showed that the right shoulder of the Korean player was ahead of the 2nd to last Nigerian player. So, she was clearly (even if by millimeters) offside there.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 7:48pm On Jun 12, 2019
ChrisKels:
Watching Zambia versus Nigeria 2013. Chai Emenike is a beast. How we ended up with Ighalo still baffles me. Onazi doing well as a Right back. Moses balling

Omeruo gud kwanu Dat year oo
the referee in that game was a fool 4 giving that penalty against us
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:48pm On Jun 12, 2019
Icon79:

O pari

The korean was offside... Her hand crossed the line.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:50pm On Jun 12, 2019
Bros, here's the bottom line, we're all after the same goal here. So let's hope they'd keep winning … even if they win ugly.

All in all, I really wasn't impressed. It's still the same Nigerian team winning by sheer natural talent and brute force. And I was expecting to see a better organized team considering their good preparations and the addition of a foreign coach. Is that too much to ask for

O pari

chrisooblog:
guy are you for real the South Koreans goal was clearly offside while our first goal was debatable I guess they decided to give us the benefit of the doubt.

You don't have to like the way we play today but respect these women it is not beans to beat a country ranked 20 places higher than you are

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:55pm On Jun 12, 2019
They are being too strict with the whole VAR thing. In such a close call, I will call it for the attacking team. Goal scoring is difficult enough as is, no need to add all these unnecessary burdens.

O pari

tbaba1234:

The korean was offside... Her hand crossed the line.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:56pm On Jun 12, 2019
BascoVanVeli:
Congratulations to oga Icon4s and all enyimba fans. Well deserved champions of Nigeria.

Yes o thanks Bro.

A title well deserved. smiley

Now we start preparing for the CAF champions league and the new NPFL season.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 7:56pm On Jun 12, 2019
Icon79:
Bros, here's the bottom line, we're all after the same goal here. So let's hope they'd keep winning … even if they win ugly.

All in all, I really wasn't impressed. It's still the same Nigerian team winning by sheer natural talent and brute force. And I was expecting to see a better organized team considering their good preparations and the addition of a foreign coach. Is that too much to ask for

O pari

nobody has said the girls are world-beaters we are just saying considering the level we are at right now whether you are pleased with the way they played or not get it this is a competition all that matters is a result if you can do it sexy all well and good if not no problem as long as you win

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:57pm On Jun 12, 2019
Fair enough!

O pari

chrisooblog:
nobody has said the girls are world-beaters we are just saying considering the level we are at right now whether you are pleased with the way they played or not get it this is a competition all that matters is a result if you can do it sexy all well and good if not no problem as long as you win
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 7:57pm On Jun 12, 2019
Icon79:

O pari

The coach did his job.
The Koreans are a passing side all we need do is to hit them on counter.
Which we did. It could have been more cos we had the best chances.
Not all teams play like Barca/Arsenal lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 8:07pm On Jun 12, 2019
So you think that this is a well coached team? Listen, winning covers up a lot of things but if you can look beyond the win you'd realize that this team still can't do the basics. They leave a lot of spaces once they re not with the ball. Their off the ball movement is close to zero …. all eyes on d ball without watching the opponent free runners, no shape, can't pass, can't shoot, can't defend, and often don't know where their markers are.

Considering that we've been participating in the WWC for the past 20 years or so; one would expect to see some improvements. Was I expecting too much

O pari

Marjoribanks:

The coach did his job.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 8:26pm On Jun 12, 2019
Icon79:
So you think that this is a well coached team? Listen, winning covers up a lot of things but if you can look beyond the win you'd realize that this team still can't do the basics. They leave a lot of spaces once they re not with the ball. Their off the ball movement is close to zero …. all eyes on d ball without watching the opponent free runners, no shape, can't pass, can't shoot, can't defend, and often don't know where their markers are.

Considering that we've been participating in the WWC for the past 20 years or so; one would expect to see some improvements. Was I expecting too much

O pari

Ya winning covers up a lot of things

I remember how people were defending Paul Aigbogun's team after that draw with Ukraine until Senegal exposed them

People can't look beyond a result to make an objective judgment

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 8:54pm On Jun 12, 2019
Icon79:

O pari

u are absolutely right bro. You got ur comment spot on. The girls are not performing up to expectations. Korea was the better team today while the SF were not organised at all. But sometimes, how much one yearn for a win can make one enjoy the win and ignore the overall performance. And that is what happens today. I hope they drill theirselves well for france.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 9:07pm On Jun 12, 2019
Marjoribanks:

The coach did his job.

If we get eliminated against France the coach and the players flopped

Sad but the truth
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 9:10pm On Jun 12, 2019
andrew444:

If we get eliminated against France the coach and the players flopped

Sad but the truth

I don't get dis...are u insinuating we can beat France

D best we can get from dt game is a draw,wc I hope for

But we beating dem,I DOUBT IT smiley

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 9:14pm On Jun 12, 2019
elyte89:

This is football bro ,we need to beat France ,are they fielding 15 players against 11 ?

In football anything is possible so we need to stop the inferiority complex

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:24pm On Jun 12, 2019
France should please beat Norway so they can qualify with a game to spare and so rest key players when they play against Nigeria grin

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 9:27pm On Jun 12, 2019
elyte89:

Don't mind them. Because we beat North Korea, the hype ha started.

We can't beat France. In fact we will be lucky to finish that match ith a draw. Our chances of drawing that match is 0.87%.

A good number of that french team play for good teams and they don't waste chances at goal. However, in my heart, I really want the girls to prove me wrong but I won't be surprised if they don't sad

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 9:29pm On Jun 12, 2019
Icon79:
KPOM!

And by the way, could someone tell me who made the decision to start Tochukwu Oluehi in the goal in our first march, when we had this goalkeeper! I mean, you don't even need to be a coach to realize that Nnaedozie is a much better goalkeeper. it isn't even a close call sef!

O pari

They said she is fine na

lol

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:30pm On Jun 12, 2019
darkelf:

Don't mind them. Because we beat North Korea, the hype ha started.

We can't beat France. In fact we will be lucky to finish that match ith a draw. Our chances of drawing that match is 0.87%.

A good number of that french team play for good teams and they don't waste chances at goal. However, in my heart, I really want the girls to prove me wrong but I won't be surprised if they don't sad

If they can qualify after beating Norway today. They will rest key players when they play Nigeria.

That will boost our chances of a draw and may be enough to see us through.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 9:32pm On Jun 12, 2019
Dominant display by these 3 elephants

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 9:32pm On Jun 12, 2019
isan:
[b]why are u sounding like u don't want the team to win ? did u placed a bet on Korea ? [/b]the better team won simple ...whatever the team has equalled your darling super eagle performance at last year world cup you at least respect them for that

Oga, if you understood him, you will know that he said we were lucy to grab the 3 points. Sometimes in football, luck is always on the winning side but you can't ride on it for long else you will be shooting yourself on the foot.

He only pointed out some flaws which may expose us against France should the coaching staff not work on them
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 9:36pm On Jun 12, 2019
Humility017:

you said "you feel ighalo will miss it"?
c'mon someone that missed a seater at the last world cup will surely miss anything....

me just praying for Oshimen to steal the show in Egypt.

lol. Yes the WC miss was so painful and to think a Croatian striker scored something similar against Argentina.

However, it still doesn't matter who shines /steals the show. What matter is for them to win every game as a team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:37pm On Jun 12, 2019
Icon79:
KPOM!

And by the way, could someone tell me who made the decision to start Tochukwu Oluehi in the goal in our first march, when we had this goalkeeper! I mean, you don't even need to be a coach to realize that Nnaedozie is a much better goalkeeper. it isn't even a close call sef!

O pari

Typical comment from Nigerian fans.

You have forgotten Tochukwu Oluehi's heroics in the last AFCON. And you have also forgotten how Chiamaka Nnadozie conceded 8 against France just last year.

Tochukwu Oluehi just had a bad day in office. Besides, I don't see her being responsible for the 2nd and 3rd goals.

Tochukwu is first choice. Coaches take certain decisions such as this when they get hammered in their first game. It was a gamble but thank God for the nature of the opposition.

The France game will be the real test for Nnadozie.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 9:37pm On Jun 12, 2019
isan:
Nnadozie is more composed than akpeyi and uzoho

Too early to judge that bro.

Remember how it wa said that Uzoho was the long awaited answer to all our goal-keeping problems after just 45mins against Argentina.

We now know how it turned out

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 9:41pm On Jun 12, 2019
France makes it two
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 9:44pm On Jun 12, 2019
Just watched the Super Falcons highlights again

Our girls are piss-poor defensively. I observed a lot of errors that exposed the GK many times. A good coach would capitalize on it. Hope our coach observes it and does the needful

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6168) (6169) (6170) (6171) (6172) (6173) (6174) ... (16125) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: TheSuperNerd(m), Philosopher1979, dymusty86, do4luv14(m), typicalgamer(m), Marjoribanks, viciati(m) and 15 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.