Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,616 members, 7,816,535 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:47 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6316) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11657272 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6313) (6314) (6315) (6316) (6317) (6318) (6319) ... (16148) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 11:49pm On Jun 25, 2019
darkelf:
My Personal opinion about this years AFCON:

1 It is the worst in recent years

2 Nigeria won't win. Our greatest undoing would be the GK and our Coach especially

3 Senegal would reach the finals

4 Uganda would reach the Semis

5 Mane would cement his place as Africa's best

grin cheesy

everyone knows your personal opinion is for Nigeria not to win the afcon.
pessimism at its peak....I wish your opinion all the worst...

Nigeria is winning this afcon.

17 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:51pm On Jun 25, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

You are funny. So the whole Brazilian squad were the stars of the team. As you are like this now, you will call Osimhen star of the Super Eagles team.

By the way, Henry started three games, not four. No need for the jara. As I said, there is a difference from us who watched it, this is over 20 years and I can still regurgitate things you need Google to check. It will tell you my depth then.

Henry was not among the stars. Even that Pires. I will even tell you my best player of the French team. It was Youri Djorkaeff. My best player of the World Cup, Ariel Ortega. I can tell you Ortega got a red card for head butting Van Der Sar after Van Der Sar was scolded him for going down easily. Not long after that, Bergkamp scored the winning goal.

I can tell you in the England vs Argentina and the Netherlands vs Brazil, John Fashanu was one of the analysts and NTA commentator for the games. To inform you, John Fashanu is a mad footie analyst. You will learn loads if he analyses a game for you.

Before you talk Google. Lol.

But you lied they were bench materials, how come they started games? grin

Did Osimhen play shine in UEFA Champions League up to the semi finals?

Thienry and Trezeguet were known stars in Europe. They were more famous than the Mbappe of today yet you want to compare Osimhen with Mbappe papas. grin

If you watched the game you wouldn't have said they were bench materials or forget to list Blanc among the key players. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 11:53pm On Jun 25, 2019
Humility017:

Oga humility. How I cherish your banter

Okay.... grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 11:54pm On Jun 25, 2019
NFF Thanks President Buhari After Receiving AFCON Money

The Nigeria Football Federation has confirmed receiving part of the money approved by the Federal Government for participation of some National Teams in international competitions, including the Super Eagles’ participation at the ongoing 32nd Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt.

NFF’s Acting President, Barrister Seyi Akinwunmi (in the absence of President Amaju Pinnick who is fully involved with organization as President of AFCON) said on Tuesday that the Federation received part of the money on Tuesday morning and had immediately launched the process to convert the sum to American Dollars to pay the players their only outstanding entitlement – the win bonus for the match against Burundi in Alexandria on Saturday evening – and for subsequent matches.

“We want to specially thank His Excellency, President Muhammadu Buhari for his keen interest in resolving this matter quickly, which has enabled us to receive part of the money in record time. We have immediately started the process of converting the money to American Dollars at the Central Bank in order to pay the players the bonus for the win over Burundi three days ago as well as plan for subsequent games.”

Akinwunmi added that on Monday, 24th June, the NFF had transferred to the players and their officials their camp allowances up to the last day of the group phase matches at the AFCON 2019, as well as the appearance fee for the friendly against Zimbabwe in Asaba on 8th June.

“We have paid these monies through our funds managers, Financial Derivatives Company on Monday, 24th June 2019. The only issue we had was that some of the players did not send their bank accounts and instead authorized the bank to pay their monies to some other individuals. The bank requested clear authorization for this to happen.

“I was on a telephone discussion with the Captain of the team Mikel Obi this morning and can safely say that all clarifications have been made and the usual cordial relationship and understanding between the players and we the administrators is still intact.

I have challenged them to go all out and win the trophy assuring them that their monies all the way to the final is guaranteed. It is now for the players to focus on the championship and deliver glory to the nation. I have no doubt of their ability to do that.”

Akinwunmi also specially commended the maturity of the team and its leaders, including skipper Mikel John Obi and for their unflinching focus on the job at hand which is winning the AFCON Trophy.

https://www.completesports.com/nff-thanks-president-buhari-after-receiving-afcon-money/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:55pm On Jun 25, 2019
forgiveness:

But you lied they were bench materials, how come they started games? grin

Did Osimhen play shine in UEFA Champions League up to the semi finals?

Thienry and Trezeguet were known stars in Europe. They were more famous than the Mbappe of today yet to want to compare Osimhen with Mbappe papas. grin

If you watched the game you wouldn't have said they were bench materials or forget to list Blanc among the key players. grin

They were bench materials. How many caps. From quarter finals to finals, how many games did they start? They were not. That was their break through season in the French side. I liked their team very well. My best Monaco player was Guily. At the end what happened, Monaco was cleared and they moved to top leagues.

The main point was that the French league was not a top league. If not, they would have stayed.

As I said, you can Google or learn from those who were following it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake3: 11:55pm On Jun 25, 2019
darkelf:

2 Nigeria won't win. Our greatest undoing would be the GK and our Coach especially

grin cheesy

How did you know?

Your level of pessimism is outstanding

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 11:56pm On Jun 25, 2019
darkelf:

grin cheesy

it because the league just ended most of the player have not rested ... and team that doesn't have player playing abroad have been able t hold their ground in this competition
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 11:57pm On Jun 25, 2019
the purported babayaro vs taye taiwo showdown would have been better than this una french team of '98 WC winning team battle

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:59pm On Jun 25, 2019
terzurum5:
NFF Thanks President Buhari After Receiving AFCON Money

The Nigeria Football Federation has confirmed receiving part of the money approved by the Federal Government for participation of some National Teams in international competitions, including the Super Eagles’ participation at the ongoing 32nd Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt.

NFF’s Acting President, Barrister Seyi Akinwunmi (in the absence of President Amaju Pinnick who is fully involved with organization as President of AFCON) said on Tuesday that the Federation received part of the money on Tuesday morning and had immediately launched the process to convert the sum to American Dollars to pay the players their only outstanding entitlement – the win bonus for the match against Burundi in Alexandria on Saturday evening – and for subsequent matches.

“We want to specially thank His Excellency, President Muhammadu Buhari for his keen interest in resolving this matter quickly, which has enabled us to receive part of the money in record time. We have immediately started the process of converting the money to American Dollars at the Central Bank in order to pay the players the bonus for the win over Burundi three days ago as well as plan for subsequent games.”

Akinwunmi added that on Monday, 24th June, the NFF had transferred to the players and their officials their camp allowances up to the last day of the group phase matches at the AFCON 2019, as well as the appearance fee for the friendly against Zimbabwe in Asaba on 8th June.

“We have paid these monies through our funds managers, Financial Derivatives Company on Monday, 24th June 2019. The only issue we had was that some of the players did not send their bank accounts and instead authorized the bank to pay their monies to some other individuals. The bank requested clear authorization for this to happen.

“I was on a telephone discussion with the Captain of the team Mikel Obi this morning and can safely say that all clarifications have been made and the usual cordial relationship and understanding between the players and we the administrators is still intact.

I have challenged them to go all out and win the trophy assuring them that their monies all the way to the final is guaranteed. It is now for the players to focus on the championship and deliver glory to the nation. I have no doubt of their ability to do that.”

Akinwunmi also specially commended the maturity of the team and its leaders, including skipper Mikel John Obi and for their unflinching focus on the job at hand which is winning the AFCON Trophy.

https://www.completesports.com/nff-thanks-president-buhari-after-receiving-afcon-money/

Crap. Let them wait for alert. Imagine the nonsense. It is better this press release did not take place. They gave other account details and wanted to punish the country for their own lapses.

I am so pissed.

Why must they be paid in dollars? Which of them does not have a Nigerian bank account? Pay them in naira and if they want dollars, they can change it.

Abeg.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 12:00am On Jun 26, 2019
Earthquake3:

How did you know?

Your level of pessimism is outstanding

Okay oooo....... cheesy grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:03am On Jun 26, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Do I know Sunny Anderson? Do not even start. Do you? Because I know Sunny Anderson well. He was a brilliant Brazilian that was hardly called up. Maybe because he was in a Mickey mouse league.

Forget all these talk. I watched almost every match in France 98 and watched every match in Nigeria 99. As I am writing, it is not some Google stuff like you.

Do you know Hassler of Germany. That was euro 96 when Gascoigne was brilliant for England.

You are just arguing. Last month, I worked with one of the analysts of NTA Port Harcourt who had an analysis show of France 98. I do not watch ball again. Back then, there was no YouTube. You have to keep tabs with every game to talk football.

You can not understand.

It's not sunny it is Sonny Anderson. The same way Ginola hardly made the French team, maybe because he played in a Mickey mouse league. grin

During that period, you must have a big satellite dish or have someone who owns one before you watch European football leagues. Me no get but I saw live matches in a friend's house. grin

Na NTA you take dey watch dem or for paper. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 12:09am On Jun 26, 2019
darkelf:

grin cheesy

Worst in terms of what?
Just because the "minnows" are giving the big boys a run for their money?

By the way, I don't see Uganda past QF.

And if this Senegal comes against Nigeria or Mali, it's a 50-50 chance so it is not a given that Senegal will get to final.

I agree Mane should ein APOTY.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 12:11am On Jun 26, 2019
Mercenaries they are.

For 4 years +, they got paid even in advance by this same NFF, just because of a few days delay, they decided to down tool. pure mercenaries they are.
TheGoodJoe:

Crap. Let them wait for alert. Imagine the nonsense. It is better this press release did not take place. They gave other account details and wanted to punish the country for their own lapses.

I am so pissed.

Why must they be paid in dollars? Which of them does not have a Nigerian bank account? Pay them in naira and if they want dollars, they can change it.

Abeg.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:14am On Jun 26, 2019
forgiveness:

It's not sunny it is Sonny Anderson. The same way Ginola hardly made the French team, maybe because he played in a Mickey mouse league. grin

During that period, you must have a big satellite dish or have someone who owns one before you watch European football leagues. Me no get but I saw live matches in a friend's house. grin

I have told you people before, Multichoice was in Port Harcourt very early. There was cable satellite dishes. I do know of other towns, but we in Port Harcourt were fortunate to have live matches beamed into homes.

However, we (my home) did not have cable satellite dish or Multichoice then but most of my neighbours had it and were football fanatics. To explain to you, I watched Manchester United vs Liverpool, FA Cup finals live on Multichoice in 1996. Talkless of 1998.

This was the goal that gave Manchester United the Cup by Cantona.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga7weXwPQ6M
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:16am On Jun 26, 2019
forgiveness:

Still a mystery why my parents did not bother about securing at least a cable satellite dish which was rampant and all over my neighbourhood. Maybe because as youngsters, we liked TV a bit too much.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:18am On Jun 26, 2019
somehow:
Mercenaries they are.

For 4 years +, they got paid even in advance by this same NFF, just because of a few days delay, they decided to down tool. pure mercenaries they are.

The embarrassment of not coming out for the press conference with all the journalists seated is disheartening. Such disrespect. I am angry. I really liked these guys but they have annoyed me today. My love for them just diminished.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:21am On Jun 26, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

They were bench materials. How many caps. From quarter finals to finals, how many games did they start? They were not. That was their break through season in the French side. I liked their team very well. My best Monaco player was Guily. At the end what happened, Monaco was cleared and they moved to top leagues.

The main point was that the French league was not a top league. If not, they would have stayed.

As I said, you can Google or learn from those who were following it.

According to goodjoe the prophet, keep your best players for the Quarter finals and finals even before winning the first match.

Who does that? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:22am On Jun 26, 2019
forgiveness:

However, NTA and BON did a fantastic job in the coverage of France 98. I watched all the games on NTA. That is why I could tell you John Fashanu was in NTA studios for some games. Even the ones that were not shown live were shown at nights.

After that the local NTA Port Harcourt had a World Cup in depth analysis show called Fever pitch. Even Collin Udoh used to analyse games then. So we not only watched it, we still had the chance of reliving the moments with highlights and analysis. Interesting times in the past.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:26am On Jun 26, 2019
forgiveness:

According to goodjoe the prophet, keep your best players for the Quarter finals and finals even before winning the first match.

Who does that? grin

The first game was South Africa, which was a work over. I just remembered Issa who scored the highest amount of own goals. I think one was when Guivarch was faltering. I can not remember the other one. They were brilliant young talents. No doubt but not stars of the teams. You can not understand how young they were to the true stars like Petit, Djorkaeff, Zidane, Desailly, Lizarazu and Blanc.

It is just like Michael Owen who was insanely brilliant but he was not a star player of the English team. Even though he later shone like a million stars.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:33am On Jun 26, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

The first game was South Africa, which was a work over. I just remembered Issa who scored the highest amount of own goals. I think one was when Guivarch was faltering. I can not remember the other one. They were brilliant young talents. No doubt but not stars of the teams. You can not understand how young they were to the true stars like Petit, Djorkaeff, Zidane, Desailly, Lizarazu and Blanc.

It is just like Michael Owen who was insanely brilliant but he was not a star player of the English team. Even though he later shone like a million stars.

No matter the opponent, teams play their best players in the first match or second. Your theory is strange.

Nevertheless, Thierry Henry, Guivarc'h and Trezeguet were stars going into the world cup. Fact
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by FBS: 12:36am On Jun 26, 2019
NFF, non-payment, same thing every year.

SMH.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:39am On Jun 26, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

However, NTA and BON did a fantastic job in the coverage of France 98. I watched all the games on NTA. That is why I could tell you John Fashanu was in NTA studios for some games. Even the ones that were not shown live were shown at nights.

After that the local NTA Port Harcourt had a World Cup in depth analysis show called Fever pitch. Even Collin Udoh used to analyse games then. So we not only watched it, we still had the chance of reliving the moments with highlights and analysis. Interesting times in the past.

NTA showed all the matches in 1994 too. So, I wasn't talking about live world cup matches but live European league matches.

Of course, Belgium and one other league were shown on local channels.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:44am On Jun 26, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Go back and read what you quoted. I clearly wrote the names of the Foreign based players in the French squad. How the hell do you want me to list Blanc. From the list, (I know you will not understand because you did not watch or have an idea), most of the foreign players were the star players of the team.

Add Barthez and Blanc. Finish. Guivarc'h was poor, so can not be rated a star of the team. So, what happened to the Ligue 1 superstars who were in your Coefficient language best league in the World by then? It was even youngsters from the league that were benching. What happened to the best Coefficient club from your Google knowledge? PSG. No player from there played for France.

You can see how flawed your Coefficient authority is. If you like, continue Coefficienting and argue what you do not understand.

They were stars going into the world cup and they started matches.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel7(m): 12:44am On Jun 26, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

The embarrassment of not coming out for the press conference with all the journalists seated is disheartening. Such disrespect. I am angry. I really liked these guys but they have annoyed me today. My love for them just diminished.

If it is true that they were owed only ONE game's win bonus, then I must say that team just lost my respect.

These are established professional footballers earning heavy bucks every week from their clubs, So guys like Ahmed Musa with the fabulous fortune he earns every week in Arabia (around 40 million naira), Ighalo and Mikel with thier Chinese largesse, could abandon their national duty for the sake of ONE match bonus!. Just ONE!.

This is disgusting. It is clear that these players are doing this ONLY for the money. Let them stop feeding us this trash about love for the GWG. They are nothing but a band of passionless mercenaries, playing for nothing but money, simple and short.

And that is how we must view them from now on.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:50am On Jun 26, 2019
forgiveness:

They were stars going into the world cup and they started matches.

You get the point. You are free to dribble.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:51am On Jun 26, 2019
forgiveness:

NTA showed all the matches in 1994 too. So, I wasn't talking about live world cup matches but live European league matches.

Of course, Belgium and one other league were shown on local channels.

I have told you by 1996, we were watching live European games. By 1998, it was normal in many homes.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:53am On Jun 26, 2019
forgiveness:

No matter the opponent, teams play their best players in the first match or second. Your theory is strange.

Nevertheless, Thierry Henry, Guivarc'h and Trezeguet were stars going into the world cup. Fact

Not stars of the teams. Osimhen is star of Charleroi, not star of Super Eagles. Onuachu started against Burundi but he is not a star of the Super Eagles.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:58am On Jun 26, 2019
forgiveness:

The bolded shows you I do not need to Google these things.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 2:12am On Jun 26, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Did you collect your salary last month? What about 2 months ago? A labourer deserves his wages, period!!!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:10am On Jun 26, 2019
Club Brugge have submitted an offer of 7 Million Euros for Okereke.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 4:29am On Jun 26, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Still disappointed that they were ready to tank the team because of their pays. Shows where their priorities lie. Not breaking my head for them.
they've not received a dime since camping started in Asaba let's be fair to them they are humans too

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 4:33am On Jun 26, 2019
Humility017:

Nigeria will not win but Uganda will reach Semi and he'll say he's a realist, realist my foot

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6313) (6314) (6315) (6316) (6317) (6318) (6319) ... (16148) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Hanibal(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.