Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,051 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:02 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6598) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11645427 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6595) (6596) (6597) (6598) (6599) (6600) (6601) ... (16144) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 2:36pm On Jul 14, 2019
Starting lineup anyone??:-!undecided
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 2:40pm On Jul 14, 2019
andrew444:

Okay

Enjoy the gem a bit, if uv got enough data to spare

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Dwu2b-hwLSYw&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiS3fO3vbTjAhWbilwKHYafDE0QtwIwAHoECAoQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0Bk3rcMuRJ_w551GZMDS01
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:43pm On Jul 14, 2019
ChrisKels:

This is what the man said;

''I am not really sure that
this is the place to talk about this. If you
try to put pressure on us, it is not the right
way. Try to win in another way, not this
way.
''There is a referee for that, there is VAR
for that,
it is not your job to talk about
these things.''

I dont think there is anything wrong with that. Any coach would have given such response, u don't expect him to slam his player before the press, no sane coach does that. Chisom knew what she was up to before asking him that question, she wanted to suppress the man by putting him under pressure and drawing the attention of CAF in case it happens against Nigeria. She succeeded, yes buh the man did what he had to do as a professional. Nothing like sexism here

Out of everything he said only the bolded was not id*otic.

Where else should you talk about unsportsmanlike conduct from your team? In church? Nobody was asking him to slam his players. What was wrong with saying "these things are part of football but we are only focus on winning tomorrow's game"? Instead he attacked the woman claiming she is working for Nigeria when in fact she works for Supersports a South African company. The man is a f**l and I pray we disgrace him today.

As far as your every coach would say the same comment I disagree. Rohr wouldn't answer in such a rude fashion in fact after Madagascar Nigerian journalist were very harsh with him but he maintained a cordial tone and was always respectful. Also Pep did not react in this fashion when he was asked about his team making tactical fouls.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nairalandankrah: 2:48pm On Jul 14, 2019
CSKA Moscow are said to have made an enquiry for Liverpool and
Nigeria youngster Taiwo Awoniyi, according to reliable journalist Paul
Joyce.
Joyce, who’s one of the most reputable and respected journalists in
regards to Liverpool related-news, stated on Twitter that CSKA have
made enquiry regarding the 21-year-old, with the Reds now set to ask
for £15M if they are to let him go.....

Awoniyi is yet to make an appearance for Liverpool’s first team despite
him being 21, and given the attacking options the club already have at
their disposal, it doesn’t seem as if the player will be making his debut any time soon.
Jurgen Klopp has attackers such as Divock Origi, Roberto Firmino, Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane and Rhian Brewster to choose from this season, thus we can’t see how Awoniyi would find a way to play many
minutes for the club this year.
If CSKA are willing to pay £15M for the Nigerian, we think Klopp’s side so angryhould definitely think about selling him, as that money could then be
used to fund other transfers in the near future.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 2:49pm On Jul 14, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Where else should you talk about unsportsmanlike conduct from your team? In church? Nobody was asking him to slam his players. What was wrong with saying "these things are part of football but we are only focus on winning tomorrow's game"? Instead he attacked the woman claiming she is working for Nigeria when in fact she works for Supersports a South African company. The man is a f**l and I pray we disgrace him today.

As far as your every coach would say the same comment I disagree. Rohr wouldn't answer in such a rude fashion in fact after Madagascar Nigerian journalist were very harsh with him but he maintained a cordial tone and was always respectful. Also Pep did not react in this fashion when he was asked about his team making tactical fouls.

Ok. I hope Eagles deliver his head to appease us all today.

Oya sama me ur prediction

Mine is Naija 3-1 Alja
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nedville: 2:54pm On Jul 14, 2019
nairalandankrah:
I didn't quite watch the women's world cup that much but from the much I watched, I think the quality of games at this AFCON has been worse when compared to the women's world cup...technically Very very low..

Sad, but true
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nairalandankrah: 2:58pm On Jul 14, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Honestly the video is currently trending... What the Algeria player did was very bad and disgustingly unsportsmanlike.. Who saw the way they were just crying up and down during the Ivory Coast match forming emotional for the camera.. All in a bid to decieve and attract undue sympathy... THANK GOD FOR THAT JOURNALIST.. SHE MAY H A VE given us 50 percent victory... Its Now left for the boys to give us the rest
Algeria my ass... Nigeria will squash them

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 3:00pm On Jul 14, 2019
Nedville:

Obviously because I don't care who does

My point exactly....in case you got lost...was that some countries have more popular players than others....this is what makes others to believe that if a heavyweight meets a lesser country...the heavyweight will win most of the time

Whether the popular players are actually better than those from lesser countries....for example whether Jesse lingard is better than onyekuru, is anybody's guess...but many casuals will go with lingard to perform on the day ahead of onyekuru, because they know who lingard is and where he plays...as opposed to onyekuru

It is why we were labelled favourites against Madagascar....we had better players who are more popular

I said that I'm guessing that's what influenced boutabout to say what he said...because he knows his own players and doesn't really know ours

Whether Algerians oo or polish people know football more isn't really my concern...I'm only trying to establish a theory as to why boutabout feels confident of his nations chances due to the fact that according to him...Nigeria does not have 'big name' players

Youre just writing epistles. The only big name player there is mahrez who isn't even a starter and Iwobi, Ndidi are big names.

If Bout a bout (name purposely spelt that way) likes, let him hype his team, the truth will be revealed today.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 3:00pm On Jul 14, 2019
nairalandankrah:

Honestly the video is currently trending... What the Algeria player did was very bad and disgustingly unsportsmanlike.. Who saw the way they were just crying up and down during the Ivory Coast match forming emotional for the camera.. All in a bid to decieve and attract undue sympathy... THANK GOD FOR THAT JOURNALIST.. SHE MAY H A VE given us 50 percent victory... Its Now left for the boys to give us the rest

Lol Chisom just played a smart one on the coach grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 3:04pm On Jul 14, 2019
Chidera Ejike (64) has completed more dribbles than any other player in the ongoing Eliteserien season; at least 41 more than any other player. Bargain.

Our Olympic squad would be bomb if all the guys get released to us

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:06pm On Jul 14, 2019
ChrisKels:
Chidera Ejike (64) has completed more
dribbles than any other player in the ongoing
Eliteserien season; at least 41 more than any
other player. Bargain.

Our Olympic squad would be bomb if all the guys get released to us

We have not qualified yet

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 3:09pm On Jul 14, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

This same Mahrez that I saw Uwa Echiejile pocket in Uyo? No wahala na 8 o'clock dem go enter pitch.

Oga, my post did not say Algeria will beat Nigeria before you come here by 10pm to say you have won this argument because Nigeria won.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 3:13pm On Jul 14, 2019
komekn:

But they will know JJay, Okocha, Taribo, Yobo, Ikpeba, Kanu, Yekini, etc

When we say to people that African football has not progressed the way it should have people get all defensive, this is reflection of that. Considering our players and where they play today.

To think between 1994 and 2000 Nigeria had had players in Ajax, Juve, AC Milan, Inter, Monaco, PSG, Chelsea, Arsenal etc, these clubs dont look at our players again, 20 years later.

Or we hardly have players good enough for these teams in the 21st century.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 3:13pm On Jul 14, 2019
andrew444:

Mr British football

Mr Turkey ☪ and Hungary football � lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:15pm On Jul 14, 2019
Jarus:

Oga, my post did not say Algeria will beat Nigeria before you come here by 10pm to say you have won this argument because Nigeria won.

I didn't say anything about the final result. I said we will see who is who come 8pm. If we win I would be to happy to resort to that kind of nonsense.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:20pm On Jul 14, 2019
ChrisKels:

Ok. I hope Eagles deliver his head to appease us all today.

Oya sama me ur prediction

Mine is Naija 3-1 Alja

I like that prediction. I also expect the SE to come out flying today, I saw frailties in the Algerians once CIV scored them (even before sef) and I think they will be in for an even worse time with us.

Nigeria 4-0 Algeria
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 3:21pm On Jul 14, 2019
Nedville:

Obviously because I don't care who does

My point exactly....in case you got lost...was that some countries have more popular players than others....this is what makes others to believe that if a heavyweight meets a lesser country...the heavyweight will win most of the time

Whether the popular players are actually better than those from lesser countries....for example whether Jesse lingard is better than onyekuru, is anybody's guess...but many casuals will go with lingard to perform on the day ahead of onyekuru, because they know who lingard is and where he plays...as opposed to onyekuru

It is why we were labelled favourites against Madagascar....we had better players who are more popular

I said that I'm guessing that's what influenced boutabout to say what he said...because he knows his own players and doesn't really know ours

Whether Algerians oo or polish people know football more isn't really my concern...I'm only trying to establish a theory as to why boutabout feels confident of his nations chances due to the fact that according to him...Nigeria does not have 'big name' players

What makes you popular partisan support if your country men or CONSISTENT OUTSTANDING TOP CLASS PERFORMANCES.

You are being misleading.

Kanu and JJay Okocha became household names across the globe because they performed.

Even when JJay was at Fenerbache he was known in Europe after disgracing almost the entire Manchester United team in a Champions league game.

So sports pundits use the quality of your players to make generalisations about probability and the who will possibly win. But in football nothing is certain.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 3:23pm On Jul 14, 2019
komekn:

But they will know JJay, Okocha, Taribo, Yobo, Ikpeba, Kanu, Yekini, etc

When we say to people that African football has not progressed the way it should have people get all defensive, this is reflection of that. Considering our players and where they play today.

it's not an African thing, ask ordinary folks who aren't football addict to name a Brazilian player they'll probably be able to give you Neymar and may start mentioning Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Carlos and Rivaldo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ajoboss(m): 3:23pm On Jul 14, 2019
timay:

Do we?
maybe...buh we've got talent!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:24pm On Jul 14, 2019
nairalandankrah:

Algeria my ass... Nigeria will squash them

I personally think the coach tried to intimidate her because she asked the best question. I wonder for some journalists sef. The budding questions are there to be asked but instead they will just be asking nonsense up and down.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 3:24pm On Jul 14, 2019
komekn:

Mr Turkey ☪ and Hungary football � lol

lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 3:25pm On Jul 14, 2019
Jarus:

To think between 1994 and 2000 Nigeria had had players in Ajax, Juve, AC Milan, Inter, Monaco, PSG, Chelsea, Arsenal etc, these clubs dont look at our players again, 20 years later.

Or we hardly have players good enough for these teams in the 21st century.

The painful bitter truth that nobody wants to accept.

This is why you can appreciate that when a Nigerian player shows some good quality potential we go euphoric withel over the top superlatives. Then we say the next Neymar, Messi, Ronaldinho, etc.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 3:27pm On Jul 14, 2019
ChrisKels:

That was poor journalism, thisday didn't report it as it happened. The man saw what Chisom my crush wanted to do, he adjusted asking Chisom to stop piling pressure on him

To me it wasn't poor journalism. There's no difference in that question from asking if his team will win.

The response from the algerian coach was poor and unsportsmanlike. Which pressure was the journalist piling on them? Even foreign media captioned it appropriately: "algerian coach evades question on cheating". It's Nigerian media captioned it wrongly. Our journalist was not disgraced in anyway. It's only in football that cheating is applauded.

The algerian journalists that clapped are towing the line of their country. They enjoy winning by cheating. As bad as our country is, we frown at those football antics.

Up super eagles

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 3:31pm On Jul 14, 2019
tbaba1234:

We have not qualified yet

Dont worry about that, we go qualify.

We have the best U23 crop in Africa. In the world, we are also up there among the top 10.

Quote me anywhere
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 3:33pm On Jul 14, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

I like that prediction. I also expect the SE to come out flying today, I saw frailties in the Algerians once CIV scored them (even before sef) and I think they will be in for an even worse time with us.

Nigeria 4-0 Algeria

4-0? Lol Basco u sure say this one dey feasible so grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:36pm On Jul 14, 2019
Nigeria 3-1 Algeria

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nedville: 3:38pm On Jul 14, 2019
komekn:

What makes you popular partisan support if your country men or CONSISTENT OUTSTANDING TOP CKASS PERFORMANCES.

You are being misleading.

Kanu and JJay Okocha became household names across the globe because they performed.

Even when JJay was at Fenerbache he was known in Europe after disgracing almost the entire Manchester United team in a Champions league game.

So sports pundits use the quality of your players to make generalisations about probability and the who will possibly win. But in football nothing is certain.

Some things are better explained with mouth than writing...but believe you me....I'm not talking about jay jay
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 3:41pm On Jul 14, 2019
I hope rumours about lineup are not true
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 3:42pm On Jul 14, 2019
mank1234:

To me it wasn't poor journalism. There's no difference in that question from asking if his team will win.

The response from the algerian coach was poor and unsportsmanlike. Which pressure was the journalist piling on them? Even foreign media captioned it appropriately: "algerian coach evades question on cheating". It's Nigerian media captioned it wrongly. Our journalist was not disgraced in anyway. It's only in football that cheating is applauded.

The algerian journalists that clapped are towing the line of their country. They enjoy winning by cheating. As bad as our country is, we frown at those football antics.

Up super eagles

The bolded plus their failure to quote the Algerian coach verbatim amount to poor journalism. Finito
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 3:47pm On Jul 14, 2019
ChrisKels:

This is what the man said;

'I am not really sure that
this is the place to talk about this. If you
try to put pressure on us, it is not the right
way. Try to win in another way, not this
way.

''There is a referee for that, there is VAR
for that, it is not your job to talk about
these things.''

I dont think there is anything wrong with that. Any coach would have given such response, u don't expect him to slam his player before the press, no sane coach does that. Chisom knew what she was up to before asking him that question, she wanted to suppress the man by putting him under pressure and drawing the attention of CAF in case it happens against Nigeria. She succeeded, yes buh the man did what he had to do as a professional. Nothing like sexism here
if you think there was nothing wrong with this statement, you need to read again.

What did he mean by "try to win in another way"? Was he implying that by virtue of being Nigerian, she was trying to influence a Nigerian win by instigating refree bias pre-match?

He's an idiot, if it were me, I would have given it back to him and told him he should save that advice for his players in the dressing room.

North Africans are the most cunning when it comes to football, they hardly ever play fair, so, he isn't one to make such statement.

I hope Gassama keeps a keen eye on those frauds.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 3:49pm On Jul 14, 2019
nairalandankrah:
I didn't quite watch the women's world cup that much but from the much I watched, I think the quality of games at this AFCON has been worse when compared to the women's world cup...technically Very very low..

I have listened to many football ignoramuses making these statements all AFCON. Only for you too, a well versed analyst in football make the same comment.

Player to player, man to women, team to team,... Bring the women World Champions USA to play against Burundi, Zimbabwe or Tanzania and see them get the ass whooping of their lives.

There is no contest.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nedville: 3:49pm On Jul 14, 2019
darkelf:

Youre just writing epistles. The only big name player there is mahrez who isn't even a starter and Iwobi, Ndidi are big names.

If Bout a bout (name purposely spelt that way) likes, let him hype his team, the truth will be revealed today.

Oyo is your case.....

Maybe you think I'm hyping up Algeria or whatever. But as I have said repeatedly, oga boutabout said Nigeria doesn't have big name players. Im saying he probably assumes this because he doesn't know nigerian players as he thinks

I went further to say that what boutabout is doing is how most casuals look at a match and judge immediately once they see players they can recognise in one team....that such a team will beat the other with lesser known or unknown players. I also said that even his team is not that great but because he knows players in his team and he doesn't know those in ours, he is sure Algeria will win....I was looking at his mindset in how he arrived at this assumption

If you left this and started focusing on the 'epistle', it means you have time....and you should have gleaned from what I'm saying that boutabout is only being ignorant of the full picture

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6595) (6596) (6597) (6598) (6599) (6600) (6601) ... (16144) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: kingphilip(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.