Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,344 members, 7,850,257 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 05:09 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (67) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11862729 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) ... (16249) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 4:41pm On Sep 21, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

This is not just conspiracy theory. When it was time to select the African Footballer Of The Year, it was Mikel who stood along side Yaya Toure. Not Moses or Musa or Emenike or Pitroipa.

Mikel was there because of his AFCON performance. That Pitroipa award was fake.

So you think that Player of the tournament automatically means Player of the Year nominee?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:43pm On Sep 21, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Chaiiiii..... I remember the name. Kelechi Osunwa... Chaiiii.... From the days of Dolphins FC when they took Nigeria by storm.

Wow! What is it about the name "Kelechi"? wink

That is my boy, Kelechi Osunwa. Bright Stars Academy. Nice he is still doing it. Sad he never got to play for the Super Eagles. Mystery how he never played for a top team in Europe. Talent wise, he was king.

Congrats to him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:43pm On Sep 21, 2016
joseph1013:

So you think that Player of the tournament automatically means Player of the Year nominee?

My point is clear.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bigblangston: 4:55pm On Sep 21, 2016
goldfish80:

LOL... Pitroipa was the best player in that competition. That young man was a manace. Defenders couldn't even come close him.
On the Nigerian side, I rate Emenike, Moses and Sunday Mba ahead of mikel.
For not mentioning Vincent Enyeama I'm not buying you a drink, Did you see Mikel's penalty kick against zambia? The kick lacked class, he almost not made us qualify into the knockout stage by that singular act, Thank God he picked up and some Enyeama's saves, Mba and oboabona frm local clubside names to household and beyond names

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:56pm On Sep 21, 2016
goldfish80:

I agree with you, on a second thought, Kingsley Madu will slot in and replace Ahmed Musa.
Madu I believe will offer more verve and energy than Elderson playing as a left wing back not a left back. Joel Obi is another good option.
Most people don't realise alot of teams which play a high pressing kind of system employ 3 defenders at the back when in possession while switching to a standard 4 at the back when defending.

Pep Guardiola's Barcelona and Marcelo Bielsa's teams usually set up like this.

I thought about Madu initially but I decided to go for Joel or Echiejile because I doubted his ability to defend. Anyway, he is good.

When defending it becomes 5-3-2.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 7:24pm On Sep 21, 2016
TheGoodJoe:
[size=14pt]
Why John Obi Mikel Should Have Been Named AFCON MVP[/size]

That honor falls to Nigeria’s John Obi Mikel, and he should have been given the official recognition to confirm what everyone already knows. He should have been crowned Player of the Tournament.

With Ogenyi Onazi and Sunday Mba alongside in the centre of the park, Mikel marshalled what proved to be the tightest, most organized midfield in South Africa.

That the centre of the park was shut to Burkina Faso’s passing was largely down to him, and Nigeria won the tournament’s showcase match because of it.

There was an array of stars at the 2013 Cup of Nations, and Pitroipa was certainly among them. But Mikel was a supernova. And when he shone, the stars disappeared.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1524167-why-john-obi-mikel-should-have-been-named-afcon-mvp

That's the opinion of one blogger. Pitroipa to me deserves the recognition he got. Its no mean feat piloting a tiny nation like Burkina Faso, minors if am to spell it out to medal at a competition of such magnitude.
Name one defender who got the better of Pitroipa at that tourney. Even at the finals, he still caused us headaches non stop. There was usually a roar from the crowd whenever he was on the ball.
Here is another article from the same bleachers report you quoted.

His country might have fallen at the final hurdle in the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations , but Burkina Faso's Jonathan Pitroipa's Most Valuable Player Award was one thing that the star midfielder did manage to win.
And it couldn't have been more deserved.
BBC Sport's Farayi Mungazi posted the news via Twitter:
The Stade Rennes midfielder was integral in the Stallions' remarkable run through the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations —getting the minnows of the tournament all the way to the final in what had quickly become the Cinderella story of the competition.
And whilst they couldn't go all the way and clinch the title from a deserving Nigerian outfit, Burkina Faso will no doubt take plenty of encouragement and heart from AFCON 2013—and deservedly so given their strong performances throughout.
Pitroipa came to the fore incredibly well when goal-scoring machine Alain Traore was ruled out for the rest of the tournament with injury—netting huge goals when his country needed him, but also providing the spark and creativity required in attack.
The 26-year-old finished with just two goals in the tournament, but his extra-time finish against Togo was pivotal in the Stallions' run to the title.
He will now go back to French club, where he has netted six goals and three assists from his 19 appearances this season as Rennes try to push their way into the top four of Ligue 1.
And if Pitroipa can carry over his international form that was displayed in South Africa, you'd have to think they're a real chance of doing so.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1524065-nigeria-vs-burkina-faso-jonathan-pitroipa-deserved-to-win-2013-afcon-mvp-award
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:48pm On Sep 21, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

How can you ask that? One of the criticism I had was the AFCON did not produced stats result. That is something we as Africans can look into.

If you feel other defenders did better than Omeruo does not change my point.

I said, it is hard to say Moses is the best when I feel other players contributed more defensively.

I listed Onazi, Oboabona and Omeruo.

So hanging on Omeruo to compare with other defenders dodges my point.

My point is, I do not place Victor Moses contributions oger players like Mikel, Omeruo, Oboabona and Onazi.

Without Victor Moses, we couldn't have gone far.

In fact, he was the best player for us.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:14pm On Sep 21, 2016
TheGoodJoe:
I never said this before. The first time I noticed Icon4s on one of these threads, I thought he was Jonathan Akpoborie. Especially, when he cautioned against praising Iheanacho so he would continue working hard.

I was so convinced, even when he talked of the youth teams of the eighties being better than the 2015 Flying Eagles.

I said in my mind, keep praising your team-mates.

How wrong I was. LOL.

Lol! You and terzurum5 just make me laugh.

Jonathan Akpoborie ke? That one na my senior bros o. When he played "Baby Eagles" (former name for Golden Eaglets) in 1985 I was still in Primary school! We (including Amuneke plus some other Orile/Amukoko/Ajegunle ballers then were still playing footy on the streets with bare foot.

I am neither an ex-international(I never played for any of our national teams) nor a journalist. The closest I have come to journalism is analysing football on Radio, which I do for leisure on invitation.

I visited Manu's camp in the company of a renowned journalist hu also grew up in my hood.
Amuneke was the greatest football export from my then neighbour-hood. Hearing he was the assistant Eaglets coach was amazing to us. And so we decided to pay him a visit on Manu and Amuneke's approval.

So bros I no be Akpoborie o.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 9:26pm On Sep 21, 2016
bigblangston:
For not mentioning Vincent Enyeama I'm not buying you a drink, Did you see Mikel's penalty kick against zambia? The kick lacked class, he almost not made us qualify into the knockout stage by that singular act, Thank God he picked up and some Enyeama's saves, Mba and oboabona frm local clubside names to household and beyond names
Enyeama caught everything, he even caught cold smiley smiley
I remember that penalty miss. Trolls on twitter had a swell time making memes of that penalty miss.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:37pm On Sep 21, 2016
goldfish80:

That's the opinion of one blogger. Pitroipa to me deserves the recognition he got. Its no mean feat piloting a tiny nation like Burkina Faso, minors if am to spell it out to medal at a competition of such magnitude.
Name one defender who got the better of Pitroipa at that tourney. Even at the finals, he still caused us headaches non stop. There was usually a roar from the crowd whenever he was on the ball.
Here is another article from the same bleachers report you quoted.

His country might have fallen at the final hurdle in the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations , but Burkina Faso's Jonathan Pitroipa's Most Valuable Player Award was one thing that the star midfielder did manage to win.
And it couldn't have been more deserved.
BBC Sport's Farayi Mungazi posted the news via Twitter:
The Stade Rennes midfielder was integral in the Stallions' remarkable run through the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations —getting the minnows of the tournament all the way to the final in what had quickly become the Cinderella story of the competition.
[b]And whilst they couldn't go all the way and clinch the title from a deserving Nigerian outfit, [/b]Burkina Faso will no doubt take plenty of encouragement and heart from AFCON 2013—and deservedly so given their strong performances throughout.
Pitroipa came to the fore incredibly well when goal-scoring machine Alain Traore was ruled out for the rest of the tournament with injury—netting huge goals when his country needed him, but also providing the spark and creativity required in attack.
The 26-year-old finished with just two goals in the tournament, but his extra-time finish against Togo was pivotal in the Stallions' run to the title.
He will now go back to French club, where he has netted six goals and three assists from his 19 appearances this season as Rennes try to push their way into the top four of Ligue 1.
And if Pitroipa can carry over his international form that was displayed in South Africa, you'd have to think they're a real chance of doing so.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1524065-nigeria-vs-burkina-faso-jonathan-pitroipa-deserved-to-win-2013-afcon-mvp-award

There is nothing in this article that says Pitroipa was a better choice than Mikel. Even in the finals they met, Mikel won the man of the match.

The article I posted tells that Mikel was the reason we were tough. People like you can laugh make memes while Mikel makes the team successful.

Three man of the match and four Assists is not beans.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:44pm On Sep 21, 2016
goldfish80:

Enyeama caught everything, he even caught cold smiley smiley
I remember that penalty miss. Trolls on twitter had a swell time making memes of that penalty miss.

There was an array of stars at the 2013 Cup of Nations, and Pitroipa was certainly among them. But Mikel was a supernova. And when he shone, the stars disappeared.

The stars like Yaya Toure, Drogba, Seydou Keita etc, disappeared.

Making memes while he was helping the team excel.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:09am On Sep 22, 2016
I also thought Mikel was the best player at the nation's cup in 2013. Pitropa was the sentimental choice though. Moses was also very good.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 8:03am On Sep 22, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

There is nothing in this article that says Pitroipa was a better choice than Mikel. Even in the finals they met, Mikel won the man of the match.

The article I posted tells that Mikel was the reason we were tough. People like you can laugh make memes while Mikel makes the team successful.

Three man of the match and four Assists is not beans.

Mikel's penalty miss was one of most talked about event of the day. He got a lot of Stick for it and rightly so.
The miss was so bad Moses had to personally sieze the ball and made sure he was the one who took the penalties he earned against Ethiopia.
I will ignore your subtle dig about people like me making memes/trolling and attack the issues you raised.

First of all, Pitroipa got 2 goals and a good number of assists. He also won 2 man of the match awards in crucial games at the quater finals and their final group game win which ensured they came tops in our group.
In the semifinals, the corrupt Tunisian referee had to go out of his way to get him sent off just to help Ghana. Probably spotting him as the livewire of Burkina. Caf had to step up and recind that decision when the whole continent was up in arms.
People wanted to see the best player display his skills at the showpiece game.

Yes, Burkina did not win the afcon but its not a must the best player should come from the winning team. In 2010 Diego Forlan was the best player at the world cup but his team came third. Ejike Ezoenyi was the best player at the home based nations cup but Nigeria came third.

Abeg leave matter, Pitroipa was dazzling. I heard onazi made jokes to frighten Egwuekwe that Pitroipa would come for him when we played Burkina in a friendly sometime in 2014 in kaduna. That should tell you something.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bigblangston: 8:19am On Sep 22, 2016
goldfish80:

Mikel's penalty miss was one of most talked about event of the day. He got a lot of Stick for it and rightly so.
The miss was so bad Moses had to personally sieze the ball and made sure he was the one who took the penalties he earned against Ethiopia.
I will ignore your subtle dig about people like me making memes/trolling and attack the issues you raised.

First of all, Pitroipa got 2 goals and a good number of assists. He also won 2 man of the match awards in crucial games at the quater finals and their final group game win which ensured they came tops in our group.
In the semifinals, the corrupt Tunisian referee had to go out of his way to get him sent off just to help Ghana. Probably spotting him as the livewire of Burkina. Caf had to step up and recind that decision when the whole continent was up in arms.

Yes, Burkina did not win the afcon but its not a must the best player should come from the winning team. In 2010 Diego Forlan was the best player at the world cup but his team came third. Ejike Ezoenyi was the best player at the home based nations cup but Nigeria came third.

Abeg leave matter, Pitroipa was dazzling. I heard onazi made jokes to frighten Egwuekwe that Pitroipa would come for him when we played Burkina in a friendly sometime in 2014 in kaduna. That should tell you something.
Your POINTS are CRYSTAL
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:23am On Sep 22, 2016
goldfish80:

Nothing here shows Pitroipa was a better player than Mikel. Do not make things up. Pitroipa was not sent off because of he was a threat. He was through on goal and a Ghanaian player brought him down. A penalty meant Ghana was out.

The referee opted to send Pitroipa off to keep Ghana in the game. It was daylight robbery and a mar to the very interesting tournament. The referee booked him for diving with a second yellow.

It was late, no threat.

No one said Pitroipa was not dazzling. No one said Pitroipa was not good. He was not the best player of the competition.

How can you call Diego Forlan's performance in 2010 to Pitroipa? That has to be a hilarious joke.

Diego Forlan was joint highest goal scorer of the competition, had Assists and scored some of the best goals in World Cup history. Very weak point.

Mikel had three assists in the knock out stage. He had the highest pass completion rate. When he met the top teams, he came out on top. All these things you are writing is story.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:30am On Sep 22, 2016
goldfish80:

What is, Pitroipa was dazzling? Is that one point to you? Was dazzling. That is why we should give someone best player.

We are talking of Mikel pulling a man of the match performance against Cote d’Ivoire with powerful Midfielders including Yaya Toure. You are talking dazzling.

Mikel was thick in the midfield when we put four past Mali. You are talking Pitroipa was dazzling. Scored two goals.

Mikel won three man of the match awards. Mikel had three assists in the knockout stages. One of the man of the match performances was against Burkina Faso in the finals.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:33am On Sep 22, 2016
We are talking winning Man of the match against an Ivorian team of Super Stars. Many did not believe we would win.

The passes, controlling midfield and interceptions. The blocks Mikel made in that match. You are talking dazzling.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:43am On Sep 22, 2016
Ivorian star, Didier Drogba said after Nigeria defeated Cote d’Ivoire at the quarter finals, “Nigeria is now the favorite to win AFCON and Mikel the most valuable player by my rating…”

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:45am On Sep 22, 2016
It was against all expectations that Mikel didn’t get the MVP award after all. He was so outstanding as a midfield maestro for the Nigerian side.

He started most of the attacks with his connecting passes and passes and provided extra-ordinary assist for the strikers.

http://cheeronnigeria..ru/2013/06/mikel-obi-set-to-become-next-caf.html?m=0

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 11:04am On Sep 22, 2016
Don't know what most people here are yapping about, I personally did not notice Pitroipa till late in the tournament so I doubt he was as dazzling as some want us to believe...the only Burkinabe player I and most people noticed was Bance...

Mikel, on the other hand, is the face of our National team, so, even when he's not trying to get noticed, you guys will still notice him because you need someone to blame and make memes for

Instead of y'all to discuss his stellar performance against CIV, y'all are trying to slate him for a silly penalty miss in group stage that anybody could have made. Let's imagine other nations had petty fans like us...what do you imagine the Argentines should have done to Messi when he missed a penalty at COPA finals? If the roles were switched and Mikel missed a penalty at AFCON finals then chose to quit the team cuz of that, ungrateful Nigerians would have sent him to hell

We ought to worship the ground Mikel walks on rather than bring up his faults every chance we get considering all the shiiit he takes for us...even Angel Enyeama doesn't love Nigeria the way Mikel does, yet some of you still feel the need to continually make memes and remind the world that the face of your national team is a bench warmer

Mikel will always be the REAL MVP

Signed:
Vice President of Mikel Avengers

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:09am On Sep 22, 2016
It's amazing why certain Nigerians like Sir Goldfish won't see the "truth"..... All because Mikel is the matter of discourse.

From my experience in the footballing circles, I have come to know that some Nigerian people just don't like Mikel hence their biased and flawed analyses.

Well, na their wahala be dat..... We all know Mikel was The Biggest Boss at Afcon 2013. So if people like, let them talk from now till tomorrow.

TheGoodJoe:
We are talking winning Man of the match against an Ivorian team of Super Stars. Many did not believe we would win.

The passes, controlling midfield and interceptions. The blocks Mikel made in that match. You are talking dazzling.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:11am On Sep 22, 2016
@bolded..... Who's president then? grin

safarigirl:
Don't know what most people here are yapping about, I personally did not notice Pitroipa till late in the tournament so I doubt he was as dazzling as some want us to believe...the only Burkinabe player I and most people noticed was Bance...

Mikel, on the other hand, is the face of our National team, so, even when he's not trying to get noticed, you guys will still notice him because you need someone to blame and make memes for

Instead of y'all to discuss his stellar performance against CIV, y'all are trying to slate him for a silly penalty miss in group stage that anybody could have made. Let's imagine other nations had petty fans like us...what do you imagine the Argentines should have done to Messi when he missed a penalty at COPA finals? If the roles were switched and Mikel missed a penalty at AFCON finals then chose to quit the team cuz of that, ungrateful Nigerians would have sent him to hell

We ought to worship the ground Mikel walks on rather than bring up his faults every chance we get considering all the shiiit he takes for us...even Angel Enyeama doesn't love Nigeria the way Mikel does, yet some of you still feel the need to continually make memes and remind the world that the face of your national team is a bench warmer

Mikel will always be the REAL MVP

Signed:
Vice President of Mikel Avengers

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:13am On Sep 22, 2016
Pitroipa dazzling? Looooollllll..... Don't mind them.... I wonder what we will call Victor Moses if Pitroipa was "dazzling"... Hahahahahahahaha

TheGoodJoe:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 11:29am On Sep 22, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
@bolded..... Who's president then? grin

TheGoodJoe

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:33am On Sep 22, 2016
Lollll..... Just what I was expecting.... Lol... The cap fit am. wink
safarigirl:
TheGoodJoe

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maputohq: 11:42am On Sep 22, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Pitroipa dazzling? Looooollllll..... Don't mind them.... I wonder what we will call Victor Moses if Pitroipa was "dazzling"... Hahahahahahahaha

The hate against Mikel is real that I have stopped listening to any criticism of him. Apart from Iheanacho and let me say Osaze, I don't think there is any active Nigerian player with talent above him. All players have their bad day and Mikel is not a kind of player who gets match rusty sitting on the bench. Na the same thing you go see whether he plays regularly or sits on the bench regularly.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:01pm On Sep 22, 2016
@bolded.... Sir, you dey observe wella.... Na truth u just talk.... No bias... No sentiments.... Mikel always shines whether he plays regularly or sits on the bench regularly... He is rarely or almost never match rusty....

The hate against Mikel is indeed real.... But it takes nothing from him. Right now as we speak, Mikel is already in Africa's top 5 greatest of all time alongside Kanu Nwankwo, Yaya Toure "cry baby", Samuel Eto'o Fils (Africa's finest of all time), and George weah/Didier Drogba... That's the truth.

maputohq:

The hate against Mikel is real that I have stopped listening to any criticism of him. Apart from Iheanacho and let me say Osaze, I don't think there is any active Nigerian player with talent above him. All players have their bad day and Mikel is not a kind of player who gets match rusty sitting on the bench. Na the same thing you go see whether he plays regularly or sits on the bench regularly.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 12:01pm On Sep 22, 2016
safarigirl:
TheGoodJoe

LOL

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:19pm On Sep 22, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

Same thing that came to my mind. Maybe because I said I value those in the spine of the defence more than pure offensive players, they want to talk dazzling.

If we want to talk dazzling, then Moses takes it hands down.

I remember Oliseh not allowing anyone hear anything in Super Sports studio. He kept pointing out how Moses gave us repeated entrance into the opponents defence.

It was a great tournament for Nigerian football. A lot of awesome players including Mba.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 12:35pm On Sep 22, 2016
i'm not 100% sold on azubuike but if during training he impresses then no problem as long as the team is improved.

Mickael2:

aren't you going to consider Azubuike at all for that game? I understand your point exactly, you want us to play with caution but don't you think that the present condition that they are in can afford us the oppurtunity to not only win but to do so handsomely? I would prefer that Etebo-Mikel-Ndidi combination(with Azubuike replacing Ndidi for me) or we could add a true winger to replace Iwobi on the left and push him into the middle too, with him providing the assist, Iheanacho converting those assists and Mikel setting the tempo of the game, God have mercy on the Zambians cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:36pm On Sep 22, 2016
While in Nigeria, Osunwa gained promotion with Dolphins FC in 2002 to the Nigeria Premier League (NPL) , he was also the higest goal scorer with 12 goals. He was part of that historic Dolphins team In 2004/2005 season when "The Pride of Rivers" won the league, FA Cup and played in the finals of the CAF Confederations Cup all in the same year.

Coach Musa Abdullahi was good. Deserved much respect before he passed away.

SHALL NEVER BE IN VAIN.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:40pm On Sep 22, 2016
Kelechi Osunwa's story is one we should try and prevent from happening again.

Imagine this record he made was after 15 years since he was part of Coach Musa Abdullahi's 2001 U17 team.

Fifteen years and we did not give this attacking wonder a chance to prove himself with the senior team.

The NFF needs to get serious in organizing friendly games. Even if it is with local coaches during the international breaks to test our promising players.

Congrats to Kelechi Osunwa. Your Bright Stars Academy Madam will be in smiles. She knew she found a gem in you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) ... (16249) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: codemaniacs, zuchyblink(m), foxman04, IFELEKE(m), Theben(m) and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.