Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,190 members, 7,839,043 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 12:53 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (7294) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11801503 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7291) (7292) (7293) (7294) (7295) (7296) (7297) ... (16209) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 10:31am On Oct 08, 2019
comodo:

Ain't we better off with a promising young central defender

we are here,
this our silly approach of waiting for other country to develop them through their youth system is whats costing us some quality players
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:33am On Oct 08, 2019
Samuel Chukwueze: Super Eagles’ fighting spirit‘ll trouble Brazil

Super Eagles winger Samuel Chukwueze believes the big match between Nigeria and Brazil is more than friendly tie with combatants on both sides readying themselves for the prestige game.

The October 13th duel slated for Singapore National Stadium would be the first real contest between the two sides since Brazil beat Nigeria 3-0 in an international friendly at the then newly-constructed Abuja National Stadium (now known as M.K.O Abiola Stadium) in 2003.

Incidentally, Chukwueze was in Nigeria’s national U-17 team that drubbed the South Americans 3-0 five years ago at the Estadio Sausalito Vina Del Mar on their way to winning a record fifth global cadet title in Chile.

“That’s a big game (between Nigeria and Brazil) to look forward to in Singapore and I think it’s going to be a tough match,” the 20-year-old Chukwueze said in an interview.

Though the five-time World Cup champions were run-away winner with a comprehensive 4-0 defeat of Japan during their last visit to Singapore five years ago, Chukwueze said it would be a close contest between the Selecao and Super Eagles.

“I don’t know how it’s going to be but I’m confident we are going to make our country proud because everybody is going to look up to this game,” explained Chukwueze who was recently named in the 40-man list of nominees for the 2019 Golden Boy Award.

“It’s going to be a tough game but everybody would see what we are made of when we play against Brazil. I believe this set of Super Eagles is very good; it’s not just that we are good but we are committed.

“We have the fighting spirit to do everything possible to remain one of the best teams in the world and I think we are going to do well against Brazil,” added the 2018 Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) Young Player of the Year.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by comodo: 10:39am On Oct 08, 2019
do4luv14:

we are here,
this our silly approach of waiting for other country to develop them through their youth system is whats costing us some quality players

I think we should be targeting the areas which we have Shortfalls. Viz, Defenders and Mfs. I remembered when Semi Ajayi was discarded by John Obuh. But look at the guy today in WestBrom. I bet you with his form, he can make d 11 of some mid table teams in EPL. And he is getting better and better each season. I rest my case.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by comodo: 10:40am On Oct 08, 2019
MetalJigsaw:
Samuel Chukwueze: Super Eagles’ fighting spirit‘ll trouble Brazil

Super Eagles winger Samuel Chukwueze believes the big match between Nigeria and Brazil is more than friendly tie with combatants on both sides readying themselves for the prestige game.

The October 13th duel slated for Singapore National Stadium would be the first real contest between the two sides since Brazil beat Nigeria 3-0 in an international friendly at the then newly-constructed Abuja National Stadium (now known as M.K.O Abiola Stadium) in 2003.

Incidentally, Chukwueze was in Nigeria’s national U-17 team that drubbed the South Americans 3-0 five years ago at the Estadio Sausalito Vina Del Mar on their way to winning a record fifth global cadet title in Chile.

“That’s a big game (between Nigeria and Brazil) to look forward to in Singapore and I think it’s going to be a tough match,” the 20-year-old Chukwueze said in an interview.

Though the five-time World Cup champions were run-away winner with a comprehensive 4-0 defeat of Japan during their last visit to Singapore five years ago, Chukwueze said it would be a close contest between the Selecao and Super Eagles.

“I don’t know how it’s going to be but I’m confident we are going to make our country proud because everybody is going to look up to this game,” explained Chukwueze who was recently named in the 40-man list of nominees for the 2019 Golden Boy Award.

“It’s going to be a tough game but everybody would see what we are made of when we play against Brazil. I believe this set of Super Eagles is very good; it’s not just that we are good but we are committed.

“We have the fighting spirit to do everything possible to remain one of the best teams in the world and I think we are going to do well against Brazil,” added the 2018 Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) Young Player of the Year.
If your selfishness no take over.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 10:50am On Oct 08, 2019
comodo:

And Otabor is not a promising young winger?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 11:28am On Oct 08, 2019
Almighty Rohr invited the best winger in the world from the Bulgarian league.

Don't worry guys, Otabor has soaked in enough drillings and Will unleash come October 13.

Like Chris Danjuma, Imamma like Rohr.

If Okoye can become the third choice GK, why not Otabor? After all both are YOUNGIES

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Afobear: 11:32am On Oct 08, 2019
Tell your father , tell your mother , tell your pals and foes , I'm back just in time to watch the Whitewashing about to hit these beer parlour pundits and there Averaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggeeeeeeeeeeeeee team

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:37am On Oct 08, 2019
Sometimes selfishness can be the difference between a win and a loss. Ask Ahmed Musa.

comodo:

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 11:38am On Oct 08, 2019
do4luv14:

we are here,

and the painful thing is that we are not even fast enough...
many a time we wait for them to reach stardom prior we approach them...
I am sure if Algeria has adopt same approach they would have loose out on Mahrez and co

you see how clueless pinnick has become...his time is going down as one of the worst administration ever.....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 11:42am On Oct 08, 2019
somehow:
Almighty Rohr invited the best winger in the world from the Bulgarian league.

Don't worry guys, Otabor has soaked in enough drillings and Will unless come October 13.

Like Chris Danjuma, Imamma like Rohr.

If Okoye can become the third choice GK, why not Otabor? After all both are YOUNGIES

you'll agree with me had it been Rohr was an indigenous coach it would have been worse....

though I am not exonerating him because the man just showed that he has similar problem we accuse the indigenous coaches of though he is quite better

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:42am On Oct 08, 2019
Lol... This is funny. So he expected a call-up from Nigeria when the issue of allegiance switch was in the picture. He was approached to begin a switch and he didn't wanna commit because he clunged to hopes of England. This kid is just talking and evading the truth. He knows what he's always wanted. He should just face his England career. Wished him the best already. Trying to sound like England were his first contact is only making him sound like an ass.

MetalJigsaw:

Fikayo Tomori: Why I Chose England Ahead Of Nigeria

The 21-year-old has been a revelation in the heart of Chelsea’s defence this season, and that has earned him a call-up to England’s national team, but he has now revealed it was not a given he was going to represent the Three Lions ahead of Nigeria and Canada

Tomori was also eligible to play for one of Canada or Nigeria, but he is set to feature for England after he was named in Gareth Southgate’s squad for the Euro 2020 qualifiers against Czech Republic and Bulgaria.

Speaking on why he decided to choose England ahead of Canada and Nigeria, Tomori said he would have represented either of those countries had they extended an invitation to him before England did.

In an interview with Goal where Soccernet.ng
got excerpts from, Tomori revealed it was not 100% sure he was going to play for England despite representing them at youth level.

“England is such a big nation, as well as Nigeria and Canada, so I think I was going to be happy with whoever called me up – but it’s nice it is England,” Tomori said.

“It wasn’t England all the way. I had certain people and certain things that I had to consider. I spoke to my family and people that I care about it and that’s the decision I came to. So, when England came calling, it was difficult to say no.

“It was just more of a thing I was waiting for a call-up because the last international break I didn’t get a call-up from anyone. This international break, I was waiting for a call-up and England called me up.

https://soccernet.ng/2019/10/fikayo-tomori-why-i-chose-england-ahead-of-nigeria.html/amp

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 11:45am On Oct 08, 2019
Humility017:

you'll agree with me had it been Rohr was an indigenous coach it would have been worse....

though I am not exonerating him because the man just showed that he has similar problem we accuse the indigenous coaches of though he is quite better

Yea better because his skin doesn't look like ours even though he's as guilty as your fellow skin color.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:52am On Oct 08, 2019
To be honest. All these kids pledging allegiance to us so early when they are not at decent levels in their football careers has a double edge to it. Some are genuine. While some are just doing it because they have given up hopes of featuring for their Euro options like England, Germany and co.

If this kid was at Bayern Munich or Dortmund for instance and giving the opportunity to showcase himself and he is making the headlines, would he still declare for Nigeria? This is tricky.

Truth is most would not declare if they see a chance to play for The Three lions or Die Mannschaft. But yes, a few may still opt for Nigeria. Either ways, we just gotta respect their decisions. It is their lives after all. But I really don't regard decisions made out of forced necessity/just-go-for-the-available instead of true commitment.

Iwobi had a chance to still pursue his England dream when he was approached and told to shun Nigeria at the last minute. He still stood his ground and chose the GWG. That is the kinda commitment I respect. If we don't stress that kind of commitment, then we are just kidding ourselves.

In the end, decisions are personal and made with reasons but when it is obvious that a player is playing games with this allegiance talk, then such a player is not taken seriously by me.

M7even:

'The New Wilfred Ndidi' Pledges Allegiance To Nigeria Over France And Germany

Promising KFC Uerdingen youth-teamer Topmann Ugochukwu Izuwa has pledged his international allegiance to Nigeria even though he is eligible to turn out for world champions France and Germany.

Born in France eighteen years ago to Nigerian parents, he moved to Germany after his birth, and has a German passport.

Explaining the decision why Topmann opted to commit his international future to the three-time African champions rather than two heavyweights in world football, his father Bishop Izuwa stressed that the midfielder is proud of his Nigerian background and wants to contribute to the country.

'Topmann can play for three countries; France, Germany and Nigeria. I have made my children understand that home is home even though they were born in Europe,'' Izuwa Senior told allnigeriasoccer.com.

''If you don't have a root you cannot bear fruits and their foundation should be home. I want him to use his gifts to project the interest of Nigeria than serving the interest of his place of birth, that is the ideology.

''He has great opportunities in Germany and France but it is better he plays for Nigeria.''

Topmann has drawn comparisons with Nigeria star Wilfred Ndidi and just like the Leicester City midfielder, he can also be deployed as a central defender.

Izuwa added : ''He can play as a midfielder and a defender. Most of the time he is used in midfield. He plays like Leicester City's Wilfred Ndidi.

''He is a fantastic player, has good ball control, has good ball distribution, can play shots, good in the air especially from set pieces. He is aggressive and a mobile player''.

Topmann Izuwa was acquired by German 3. Liga club KFC Uerdingen in 2018 after stops at Sportfreunde Hamborn 07, MSV Duisburg, Rot-Weiss Essen, TB Oberhausen, VfR 08 Oberhausen and Schwarz-Weiß Essen.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 11:54am On Oct 08, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
Lol... This is funny. So he expected a call-up from Nigeria when the issue of allegiance switch was in the picture. He was approached to begin a switch and he didn't wanna commit because he clunged to hopes of England. This kid is just talking and evading the truth. He knows what he's always wanted. He should just face his England career. Wished him the best already. Trying to sound like England were his first contact is only making him sound like an ass.

He wants to blame Nigeria for his switch to England

Laughable
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:56am On Oct 08, 2019
That's my problem with some of them. They don't wanna take true responsibility for a decision that is entirely theirs.

It is true Nigeria messed up in some cases but on Abraham and Tomori, Nigeria did her best and is completely innocent.

Earthquake1:

He wants to blame Nigeria for his switch to England

Laughable

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 12:00pm On Oct 08, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
That's my problem with some of them. They don't wanna take true responsibility for a decision that is entirely theirs.

It is true Nigeria messed up in some cases but on Abraham and Tomori, Nigeria did her best and is completely innocent.

He doesn't want to take the blame

These two guys messed us up, I'm foreseeing the same thing in Saka's case forget all these 'I'm Nigerian' nonsense
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:08pm On Oct 08, 2019
You may be right. Time will tell for Bukayo Saka. Let's see if the Arsenal fame gets to his head and makes him forget he is "Nigerian." grin

The kid is getting the rave reviews and making the headlines even more than Nicolas Pepe himself. This is a test of where his allegiance truly will lie going forward.

The one decision all of the foreign born Naija kids should have sorted before they hit stardom is their international allegiance. Let them ask themselves, if I am an Arsenal or Chelsea or Man City starter at age 18, 21 or maybe 23, and I happen to be doing so well and attracting interest from my adopted nation, England (or whichever it may be) and my blood nation, Nigeria... Which should I choose?

Also, If I am not making the headlines at age 18, 21 or 23 in these big clubs, will my choice in the first question be the same?

They should sort it out from the very beginning and stick to it. That way, we know you are committed to your decision from the onset. And not waiting to play poker or cards with nations based on club career progress.

Earthquake1:

He doesn't want to take the blame

These two guys messed us up, I'm foreseeing the same thing in Saka's case forget all these 'I'm Nigerian' nonsense

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 12:13pm On Oct 08, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
You may be right. Time will tell for Bukayo Saka. Let's see if the Arsenal fame gets to his head and makes him forget he is "Nigerian." grin

The kid is getting the rave reviews and making the headlines even more than Nicolas Pepe himself. This is a test of where his allegiance truly will lie going forward.

The one decision all of the foreign born Naija kids should have sorted before they hit stardom is their international allegiance. Let them ask themselves, if I am an Arsenal or Chelsea or Man City starter at age 18, 21 or maybe 23, and I happen to be doing so well and attracting interest from my adopted nation, England (or whichever it may be) and my blood nation, Nigeria... Which should I choose?

Also, If I am not making the headlines at age 18, 21 or 23 in these big clubs, will my choice in the first question be the same?

They should sort it out from the very beginning and stick to it. That way, we know you are committed to your decision from the onset. And not waiting to play poker or cards with nations based on club career progress.

Hmm
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 12:16pm On Oct 08, 2019
realpoacher:
I dont even understand our purpose on this thread. Or our usefulness.

Otabor this, Ebere Eze that.

Our voices, our noise here is completely and totally irrelevant in grand scheme of things.

We have been discussing here every day about moving nigeria's football forward yet nff will wake up and do complete opposite.

Isnt it obvious here that our rant equals to nothing?

Please take your Otabor rankings to nff handle and spear me intellectual reads here.

Haba

Even me i am hurt concerning his callup but obviously my feelings are inconsequential in this matter. So i keep shut

Abeg make everybody face front
This forum is about giving opinions/thoughts - irrelevant or not.
I don't think we give our views here because NFF will pick up ideas or whatever.
Let people scream about Otabor from now till 2022 if they want, they are entitled to it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:22pm On Oct 08, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Dis one dey romance us cheesy

Dis wan eyes don clear. Na em dey form I am English but when Man city don loan am go Championship em sense reconnect.

Make em start to dey play for Man City, you go see the way em go deny Nigeria sharp sharp.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chucs: 12:28pm On Oct 08, 2019
MetalJigsaw:

Fikayo Tomori: Why I Chose England Ahead Of Nigeria

The 21-year-old has been a revelation in the heart of Chelsea’s defence this season, and that has earned him a call-up to England’s national team, but he has now revealed it was not a given he was going to represent the Three Lions ahead of Nigeria and Canada

Tomori was also eligible to play for one of Canada or Nigeria, but he is set to feature for England after he was named in Gareth Southgate’s squad for the Euro 2020 qualifiers against Czech Republic and Bulgaria.

Speaking on why he decided to choose England ahead of Canada and Nigeria, Tomori said he would have represented either of those countries had they extended an invitation to him before England did.

In an interview with Goal where Soccernet.ng
got excerpts from, Tomori revealed it was not 100% sure he was going to play for England despite representing them at youth level.

“England is such a big nation, as well as Nigeria and Canada, so I think I was going to be happy with whoever called me up – but it’s nice it is England,” Tomori said.

“It wasn’t England all the way. I had certain people and certain things that I had to consider. I spoke to my family and people that I care about it and that’s the decision I came to. So, when England came calling, it was difficult to say no.

“It was just more of a thing I was waiting for a call-up because the last international break I didn’t get a call-up from anyone. This international break, I was waiting for a call-up and England called me up.

https://soccernet.ng/2019/10/fikayo-tomori-why-i-chose-england-ahead-of-nigeria.html/amp

This Tomori kid is a drama king. Who does he think he wants to deceive. I think he wants to use that as an excuse should incase his English career doesn't go as planned. He should enjoy it while it last and leave us the heck alone.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:30pm On Oct 08, 2019
comodo:

He is not bad.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:34pm On Oct 08, 2019
Maybe for U-23 sha

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 12:38pm On Oct 08, 2019
Forget all the nonsense komekn said here when Osimhen was having a rough patch in Germany, listen to the man who knows the game - Ocampos da great.

Luis Campos: The transfer chief with the Midas
touch: Portuguese sporting director has helped
unearth over £500m of footballing talent
One of the most wanted men in football may not
be the most familiar.

Sporting director Luis Campos has unearthed
over £500m worth of footballing talent during his
time at Monaco and Lille, and in an exclusive
interview with Sky Sports, gives a fascinating
insight into his methods.

His CV is quite something, helping unearth Kylian
Mbappe, Nicolas Pepe, James Rodriguez,
Anthony Martial, Fabinho, Bernardo Silva and
Benjamin Mendy.

The 55-year-old has been sporting director at
Lille since 2017, helping them return to the
Champions League after discovering some of
Europe's best talents while at Monaco from

Here, he talks through the key players he found,
how he is determined to see players live - even
for a few minutes - and whether he could be
tempted out of Lille, having been linked with a
number of European clubs over the summer,
including Chelsea.

VICTOR OSIMHEN

His latest find, 20-year-old Nigerian forward
Osimhen, has scored seven in 10 games for Lille,
including against Chelsea last week.

"I went to Lagos to see their preparation for the U17 World Championships. After one match I wanted him.
But his price was very expensive for a 17-year-
old. I spoke to my CEO. I called him every night
saying, 'Please give me this player, he is
amazing. In two years he will be one of the best
in Europe'.

"In the end the player went to Wolfsburg. I went
to Wolfsburg just to see him play. Sometimes he
only played for five minutes, sometimes only two.
I was crazy for him! Then he had a virus and had
five or six months not playing and went to
Charleroi in Belgium. Two months later I signed
him. So itʼs a nice story. I lost the player but
then got him back.

"If all is normal at the end of the season there
will be a big move for him because he's like a
cat. You know, if you have a cat and give it a
ball! Heʼs unbelievable. In the last 20 metres he
attacks every ball. Every ball. Like a cat."

I must commend Rohr here for seeing same thing Ocampos saw, that made both men stick with the boy even when things were not going quite well for him due to ailment.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 12:39pm On Oct 08, 2019
forgiveness:

He is not bad.

I want us to get(cap tie) him now, then have him go through the U23s. Dude is a good prospect
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zoboizee: 12:42pm On Oct 08, 2019
As the friendly game against Brazil gets closer, these are the areas i observed in the last game against Ukraine that needs improving.
* There was plenty of space in front of our back four through which the opponent explored from time to time.
* Slow reaction from our full backs.
*Occasional lapse in concentration by Aina.
* Observed wide gap between the two Centrebacks which made the opponent to be slicing through them as their striker made runs on their blind side.
* Opponents not quickly closed down in the latter part of the game in midfield.
* Selfish play from the right winger.
* And Iwobi's poor shots at goal.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 12:47pm On Oct 08, 2019
forgiveness:

Dis wan eyes don clear. Na em dey form I am English but when Man city don loan am go Championship em sense reconnect.

Make em start to dey play for Man City, you go see the way em go deny Nigeria sharp sharp.

We should captie him before the bolded happens, to leave him no choice
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:00pm On Oct 08, 2019
Today In History

On this day in 1993 the @NGSuperEagles qualified for the #FIFAWorldCup for the first time.

A 1-1 draw in Algeria ensured qualification.

@OfficialFinidi @FrenzziiiBull, Amuneke, Ugbade, Eguavoen all there.

Hear Chukwu to Ugbade.

See link below to view the moment....

https://twitter.com/acl_sports/status/1181533788809113600?s=19

Courtesy: ACLSports

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:04pm On Oct 08, 2019
ChrisKels:

I want us to get(cap tie) him now, then have him go through the U23s. Dude is a good prospect

Well, it takes nothing to cap tie him. Hope our NFF approach him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:07pm On Oct 08, 2019
Ligue 1 POTM Awards

Victor Osimhen is in contention for the Ligue 1 Conforama player of the month (September) alongside Nicolas Pallois of Nantes, and Islam Slimani of Monaco.

Follow this link to cast your votes if interested. I voted yesterday.

https://twitter.com/UNFP/status/1181260883340791815?s=19

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:09pm On Oct 08, 2019
You can always spot a diamond even when it is in the rough. Osimhen was always a diamond in the rough. He will be a true world class Super Striker soon. Time shall manifest it "in time".... wink

ChrisKels:
Forget all the nonsense komekn said here when Osimhen was having a rough patch in Germany, listen to the man who knows the game - Ocampos da great.

Luis Campos: The transfer chief with the Midas
touch: Portuguese sporting director has helped
unearth over £500m of footballing talent
One of the most wanted men in football may not
be the most familiar.

Sporting director Luis Campos has unearthed
over £500m worth of footballing talent during his
time at Monaco and Lille, and in an exclusive
interview with Sky Sports, gives a fascinating
insight into his methods.

His CV is quite something, helping unearth Kylian
Mbappe, Nicolas Pepe, James Rodriguez,
Anthony Martial, Fabinho, Bernardo Silva and
Benjamin Mendy.

The 55-year-old has been sporting director at
Lille since 2017, helping them return to the
Champions League after discovering some of
Europe's best talents while at Monaco from

Here, he talks through the key players he found,
how he is determined to see players live - even
for a few minutes - and whether he could be
tempted out of Lille, having been linked with a
number of European clubs over the summer,
including Chelsea.

VICTOR OSIMHEN

His latest find, 20-year-old Nigerian forward
Osimhen, has scored seven in 10 games for Lille,
including against Chelsea last week.

"I went to Lagos to see their preparation for the U17 World Championships. After one match I wanted him.
But his price was very expensive for a 17-year-
old. I spoke to my CEO. I called him every night
saying, 'Please give me this player, he is
amazing. In two years he will be one of the best
in Europe'.

"In the end the player went to Wolfsburg. I went
to Wolfsburg just to see him play. Sometimes he
only played for five minutes, sometimes only two.
I was crazy for him! Then he had a virus and had
five or six months not playing and went to
Charleroi in Belgium. Two months later I signed
him. So itʼs a nice story. I lost the player but
then got him back.

"If all is normal at the end of the season there
will be a big move for him because he's like a
cat. You know, if you have a cat and give it a
ball! Heʼs unbelievable. In the last 20 metres he
attacks every ball. Every ball. Like a cat."

I must commend Rohr here for seeing same thing Ocampos saw, that made both men stick with the boy even when things were not going quite well for him due to ailment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kellycute(m): 1:17pm On Oct 08, 2019
comodo:

a Lil bit of selfishness is necessary but I want him to be more clinical moving forward.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7291) (7292) (7293) (7294) (7295) (7296) (7297) ... (16209) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Ikanium(m), shawwal1(m) and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.