Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,996 members, 7,863,580 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 08:39 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (7514) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11947641 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7511) (7512) (7513) (7514) (7515) (7516) (7517) ... (16362) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 2:49am On Nov 02, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
Nigeria were better than Australia. We were just unlucky and profligate in front of goal. We have ballers up front mehn... Except for that Olusegun who is getting even more frustrating than Bamgboye was at 2015.

Also the refereeing was rubbish for several parts.

Olawale impressed me real good. He makes decisions upfront better than Olusegun. I wish Ubani gets fit and gets into his strides for the KOs so that we can see an Olawale and Ubani upfront alongside Said. With Amoo behind them.

In finality, this scenario reminds me of 2015. In fact, I was just saying De ja vu after the final whistle.

Quite truthfully,this team can get better. There are abundant talents in the team. Olusegun is a very gifted player but his finishing touches need some improvements. He can get better with time. Wisdom Ubani who is quite the star of the team is struggling with fitness but when in shape a deadly and technically gifted player. As for Amoo , a born midfielder, but I feel like he is too short. I mean ,if he is as tall as Oruma I wont mind. The captain is a warrior , and I love his imposing presence.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 3:03am On Nov 02, 2019
Nigerians did not hold back in their criticism of the Golden Eaglets and their management for their lack of tactical nous which led to their 2-1 loss to Australia in their final group game of the 2019 U-17 World Cup.

A brace from Noah Botic either side of a consolatory strike from Peter Olawale handed Manu Garba's charges their first defeat in the competition on Friday.

While the defeat ensured it is back to the drawing board for Garba and his team, Nigerians were too displeased and quickly tucked in on their twitter handles to vent their feelings.

Check out some of their tweets below,

@biyatife: ''Olusegun has to be the most selfish person to have ever worn the Green and white. Haba! #AUSNGA #NGAAUS''.

@iam_Daniel: ''The coach sef is clueless. they had this same problem during the African championship. And it's been months now & he still hasn't rectified the defensive deficiencies & the lack of discipline by the attackers. Later someone clueless will say let's give our local coaches a chance''

@smartAtuadi: ''This Golden Eaglets team is full of enterprising boys with individual playing talents and are improving game after game. The coach needs to do more to get them playing as a team. They should've been ahead of Australia but for some selfish displays. Football is team play! #AUSNGA''.

@iDeribs: ''The teammates of this #GoldenEaglets #13 are not on the same wavelength as him. ''

@MhiztaDaniels: Just because the boys knew we've qualified already, they've started playing like Man Utd ��#AUSNGA

@Blessingfowowe: A very good and composed team will punish this boys - comfortably!#U17WC #AUSNGA

@zaeiny: ''#AUSNGA this our boys sha, now it's a penalty to Australia. This guys no they learn''.

@abu_Mikey: ''Crappy team play and zero positioning sense, holding on to the ball too much.''

@dynamitebarry: ''Manu Garba what are you impacting on this boyz in training because you got bailed out by their individual brilliance in the first 2 games they are not defending nor maintaining their positions don't be like Emery Olusegun should be dropped now #AUSNGA''.

@ThisisAdeshina: ''We need to work more on our defence, its so sad � we lose tonight. #AUSNGA''

@nicefrancis0: ''The rate at which coach Manu is tactically deficient is alarming, our boys are really good but need proper tutoring, not this manu, maybe he should be a scout rather than coach Cos he did well getting this boys, but tactical input is poor, 2 games won is on the players #AUSNGA''.

@SportFarmerNG: ''FT Australia 2-1 Nigeria.Same mistakes, No come back and same scoreline from 2015 U17 last group match. Golden Eaglets finish top of group B, with 6 points the face third place team of either group A/C/D. #U17WC #AUSNGA
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 3:05am On Nov 02, 2019
Izuchukwu Okosi runs the rule on the performance of Nigeria's Golden Eaglets in their last group game against Australia...

The Starters

Goalkeeper

Joseph Oluwabusola : The goalkeeper made some impressive saves in the first half notably the outstretched, instinctive footed save that kept the scoreline respectable. 6/10.

Defenders

Ferdinand Ikenna : Had a torrid time marking the dangerous Australian strikers before him albeit had better aerial duels. 5/10.

Usman Ibrahim : Was deemed to have fouled Caleb Watts which gifted Australia their second goal. Saw a yellow card for his tango with Tristan Hammond who was also booked. 5.5/10

Oluwatimilehin Adeniyi : The right sided defender was good on the night and did cut out most mistakes that showed in his previous matches. 6/10.

Quadri Ebun : The defender replaced Charles Etim but didn't offer the same quality as the young man he replaced. Etim is on a yellow and it's unclear if that played a role in the coaches thoughts. 5/10.

Midfielders

Samson Tijani : The captain who has attracted interests from some clubs in Europe was a good link between defence and attack but in all honesty his performance against Australia will rank least of the the matches so far. 6.5/10.

Hamzat Ojediran : The midfielder was too anxious to make an impression and even hit the side net in the second half. Made some ball recoveries which was good to know. 6/10.

Ibrahim Said : The three goal hero in their last match Sa'id was rather very quiet in this match. Can do better subsequently. 5/10.

Attackers

Olakunle Olusegun : Perhaps was the most 'wasteful' Nigerian this night although he did have some close efforts that unluckily didn't go in. 6/10.

Akunkunmi Amoo : The creative player started versus Australia unlike the previous two matches he came off the bench to cause problems for their opponents. Amoo excited a d frustrated in equal measures. But promising future for the young man. 8.5/10.

Peter Olawale : The striker was preferred to Wisdom Ubani. He scored Nigeria's goal but after then was not very threatening going forward. He drifted to the right side of attack a lot. 7/10.

The Substitutes

Ibraheem Jabaar : Came off the bench in the second half. Subdued performance tonight. Made more impact in the previous matches. 5/10.

Divine Nwachukwu : There was little he could do after coming off the bench towards the end of the match. 4/10.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrKlever(m): 7:23am On Nov 02, 2019
Thesame Australia when Osimhen and Chukwueze set for 2015 nack 6-0 na e we dey struggle with. Can't forget my boy's hatrick that day. You people will learn!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by iSlayer: 8:21am On Nov 02, 2019
Comeback kings.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrKlever(m): 8:32am On Nov 02, 2019
iSlayer:
Come back kings.
They have scored 8 and conceded 7 in 3 matches. I hope they don't end this tournament with a goal difference of zero grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Koboko99(m): 9:17am On Nov 02, 2019
Don't just work hard, work smart!!!

The Nigerians were full of energy, running and hardworking, meanwhile their counterparts were smarter and more sound tactically.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 10:27am On Nov 02, 2019
Can we rest now?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrKlever(m): 10:33am On Nov 02, 2019
jihday:
Can we rest now?
Rest kwa.. Someone most of us here have already forgotten. E no even pain me one bit, na him loss grin

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 10:40am On Nov 02, 2019
Hopefully this Ebere Eze will not turn out to be Peter Ije grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:49am On Nov 02, 2019
gamaliel9:

Move on
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 11:15am On Nov 02, 2019
See Springbok defence... Na wa oooo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 11:58am On Nov 02, 2019
Congrats to Siya Kolisi and the Springboks for winning the world cup.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:26pm On Nov 02, 2019
SEASON 2 OF THE NAIRALAND NIGERIAN FOOTBALL FANS AWARDS IS HERE!

THE NNFF AWARDS-2019

Ahmed Musa was crowned King of Nigerian football in 2019 while Tochukwu Oluehi was the Queen of Nigerian football. Are we going to have a new King and Queen for 2019? Let's play.

First we nominate Monikers that will be saddled with the responsibilities of coming up with award categories and selection of players for the various awards.

Just like for last year, the committee shall be made up of the top 7 Monikers nominated at this stage.

Rules for nomination:

1. Every member of the house is qualified to be nominated.
2. You can only nominate one moniker.
3. You cannot nominate yourself.

However it is advisable that you nominate a Moniker that is very knowledgeable about Nigerian football as a whole( Senior, Youth and Female Football).

Nominations opened on 1st November 2019 @ 12am and closes @12noon of 8th November, 2019.

Icon4s and Andrewbaba44 will be collating the nominations ( These two are also qualified to be nominated)

To nominate a moniker for eg just mention : I nominate GreatNigeria59.

Cc: Icon4s, Andrewbaba44 (please u must copy these Monikers)

Nominations are already on-going.... smiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:54pm On Nov 02, 2019
jihday:
Can we rest now?

He wanted to play for england u21
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 1:09pm On Nov 02, 2019
andrewbaba44:

He wanted to play for england u21
just imagine
after that what next?

the likes of him will start to romance us when he grow past 21 because making the 3 lion's team is not that easy as he probably think..

one thing I noticed about England, is that it is quite difficult to make the national team (3Lions) squad when you grow past 23....

no call up by then dual nationalities players should use their tongue count their teeth
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:11pm On Nov 02, 2019
After watching the Liverpool FC game against Arsenal.

I had a look at the young players given opportunities and for me the Arsenal players were outstanding and definitely justified thier selection.

I did not have the same view for Liverpool, Craig Jones was the best of the Liverpool bunch. Not the kid being hyped now Harvey.

None of them were better than Adekanya but he never got a chance in the first team.

Now among all these young players they are not as good as Chukwueze.

But l am concerned that OPPORTUNITY is not a clear reflection of ability. It seems marketing (packaging) who your agent is what gives you over-riding advantage.

Will Chukwueze get Opportunity at Liverpool yes will he be given the benefit of the doubt and given the opportunity to develop and adapt. I simply do not know.

Is it the best move for him it's open to debate because he can easily become a business transaction. And then his career will stagnate although his bank balance will expand.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:16pm On Nov 02, 2019
gamaliel9:

The NFF did a good job in identifying a player as excellent potential. I at the time disagrees because he had done nothing.

However, after doing that great piece of work they did NOTHING for two years plus. Now that he is getting all the attention and we have remembered him.

I can see his value exceeding £25 million as it stands now. And him going to a EPL club in the January transfer window.

He may or may not be interested in playing for England. He is not stupid he will play the game and after January he will make his commitment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:40pm On Nov 02, 2019
I have thought of this before and also made such insinuation here few weeks ago. I believe the lad wants to take the advantage of the hype on him by the English press and the u21 team to get a good deal in an epl club next winter or summer market.

Something inside of me tells me Eze will play for Nigeria for sure
komekn:

The NFF did a good job in identifying a player as excellent potential. I at the time disagrees because he had done nothing.

However, after doing that great piece of work they did NOTHING for two years plus. Now that he is getting all the attention and we have remembered him.

I can see his value exceeding £25 million as it stands now. And him going to a EPL club in the January transfer window.

He may or may not be interested in playing for England. He is not stupid he will play the game and after January he will make his commitment.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:44pm On Nov 02, 2019
I don't blame Manu Garba at all. When these coaches give us excellence, the authorities do not encourage them. This is why corruption thrives in Nigeria. That's what we celebrate.

comodo:
Manu Garba wants to sell Olusegun by fire by force.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:48pm On Nov 02, 2019
This matter na just dem say dem say. NOTHING OFFICIAL.

jihday:
Can we rest now?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:51pm On Nov 02, 2019
AVERAGEEEEEÈÉÊËĒĖEĘ

charlesemeka85:

Izuchukwu Okosi runs the rule on the performance of Nigeria's Golden Eaglets in their last group game against Australia...

The Starters

Goalkeeper

Joseph Oluwabusola : The goalkeeper made some impressive saves in the first half notably the outstretched, instinctive footed save that kept the scoreline respectable. 6/10.

Defenders

Ferdinand Ikenna : Had a torrid time marking the dangerous Australian strikers before him albeit had better aerial duels. 5/10.

Usman Ibrahim : Was deemed to have fouled Caleb Watts which gifted Australia their second goal. Saw a yellow card for his tango with Tristan Hammond who was also booked. 5.5/10

Oluwatimilehin Adeniyi : The right sided defender was good on the night and did cut out most mistakes that showed in his previous matches. 6/10.

Quadri Ebun : The defender replaced Charles Etim but didn't offer the same quality as the young man he replaced. Etim is on a yellow and it's unclear if that played a role in the coaches thoughts. 5/10.

Midfielders

Samson Tijani : The captain who has attracted interests from some clubs in Europe was a good link between defence and attack but in all honesty his performance against Australia will rank least of the the matches so far. 6.5/10.

Hamzat Ojediran : The midfielder was too anxious to make an impression and even hit the side net in the second half. Made some ball recoveries which was good to know. 6/10.

Ibrahim Said : The three goal hero in their last match Sa'id was rather very quiet in this match. Can do better subsequently. 5/10.

Attackers

Olakunle Olusegun : Perhaps was the most 'wasteful' Nigerian this night although he did have some close efforts that unluckily didn't go in. 6/10.

Akunkunmi Amoo : The creative player started versus Australia unlike the previous two matches he came off the bench to cause problems for their opponents. Amoo excited a d frustrated in equal measures. But promising future for the young man. 8.5/10.

Peter Olawale : The striker was preferred to Wisdom Ubani. He scored Nigeria's goal but after then was not very threatening going forward. He drifted to the right side of attack a lot. 7/10.

The Substitutes

Ibraheem Jabaar : Came off the bench in the second half. Subdued performance tonight. Made more impact in the previous matches. 5/10.

Divine Nwachukwu : There was little he could do after coming off the bench towards the end of the match. 4/10.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:51pm On Nov 02, 2019
Joebie:
I don't blame Manu Garba at all. When these coaches give us excellence, the authorities do not encourage them. This is why corruption thrives in Nigeria. That's what we celebrate.

I repeat no player on the pitch works as hard as Olusegun. The way we accuse a legend like Manu Garba of corruption at everything we personally don't like is very disgraceful. My prayer is that he gets a better job than coaching Nigeria in the nearest future because this is arrant nonsense.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:52pm On Nov 02, 2019
He is indeed a legend. Thank you!

Modified
He has tutored the best Nigerian national team I have ever seen in terms of how they dominated their opponents all tournament.

BascoVanVeli:

I repeat no player on the pitch works as hard as Olusegun. The way we accuse a legend like Manu Garba of corruption at everything we personally don't like is very disgraceful. My prayer is that he gets a better job than coaching Nigeria in the nearest future because this is arrant nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 2:25pm On Nov 02, 2019
komekn:
After watching the Liverpool FC game against Arsenal.

I had a look at the young players given opportunities and for me the Arsenal players were outstanding and definitely justified thier selection.

I did not have the same view for Liverpool, Craig Jones was the best of the Liverpool bunch. Not the kid being hyped now Harvey.

None of them were better than Adekanya but he never got a chance in the first team.

Now among all these young players they are not as good as Chukwueze.

But l am concerned that OPPORTUNITY is not a clear reflection of ability. It seems marketing (packaging) who your agent is what gives you over-riding advantage.

Will Chukwueze get Opportunity at Liverpool yes will he be given the benefit of the doubt and given the opportunity to develop and adapt. I simply do not know.

Is it the best move for him it's open to debate because he can easily become a business transaction. And then his career will stagnate although his bank balance will expand.

Chuks will only be a backup player at liverpool

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 2:43pm On Nov 02, 2019
Azubuike starts, isnt he going for the u23 afcon ?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 2:46pm On Nov 02, 2019
Mctomminay is the most overrated player in the epl. That guy suppose they play for ipswich and co embarassed

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 2:56pm On Nov 02, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Mctomminay is the most overrated player in the epl. That guy suppose they play for ipswich and co embarassed

Lol

Not surprised , one of the reason man united wont move forward at the moment,

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 3:03pm On Nov 02, 2019
Ozil starting today should make arsenal win, this one wey pepe dey bench so
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:20pm On Nov 02, 2019
He will join the team late. He will miss the first game vs Cote D Ivoire.

andrewbaba44:
Azubuike starts, isnt he going for the u23 afcon ?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:30pm On Nov 02, 2019
Sadiq Umar with a goal and 2 assists so far after 71 mins. His side leads 4-0 vs Vojvodina in the Serbian Top flight.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 3:35pm On Nov 02, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
Sadiq Umar with a goal and 2 assists so far after 71 mins. His side leads 4-0 vs Vojvodina in the Serbian Top flight.

Y is d coaching crew not considering dis guy for d u-23?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7511) (7512) (7513) (7514) (7515) (7516) (7517) ... (16362) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: chrisooblog, drDoom3(m), humility33(m), 10cedes, damagnificentusb(m), opes, TheGoodJoe(m), 123jamessmith, elyte89, Christinu2, enlady(f), mekabuachi, dankorode(m), do4luv14(m) and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.