Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,821 members, 7,828,003 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:12 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (7928) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11742386 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7925) (7926) (7927) (7928) (7929) (7930) (7931) ... (16177) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:03am On Dec 10, 2019
you are right. However, the narrative that England cap our players, use and dump, is also filled with half-truths.

Modified
@ the bolded, i find it hard to single out any moniker here with such expectations.
safarigirl:
this article is filled with half-truths.

First off, Ebuehi was a victim of injuries, since he was injured, he hasn't really gotten back to full fitness, so, I don't know if this writer out that into consideration when he penned this. It is not because he could be discarded, and considering the team still doesn't have a Right Back of his quality, he cannot state that Ebuehi has been discarded by anyone.

Rohr works with players in form, who are playing games. If golden boy, Kelechi was dropped from AFCON, and didn't play a game for Super Eagles this year, it should give a perspective of the kind of coach Rohr is. If the same Keelchi keeps up this form till March of next year, then surely, he will get a call-up

On the average, the number of FBs that have benefitted from this SE set-up, outnumber those who haven't. As long as you play regularly and you fit into the style of play, Rohr has space, in fact depending on your position, you may not even have to be all that regular, but nobody should expect automatic slots every Super Eagles game just because they have foreign passports.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:04am On Dec 10, 2019
Joebie:
you are right. However, the narrative that England cap our players, use and dump, is also filled with half-truths.

Modified
@ the bolded, i find it hard to single out any moniker here with such expectations.
I wasn't talking about the monikers here, I was talking about the writer
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ajoboss(m): 10:02am On Dec 10, 2019
zayyadidris:
With what I just saw there is no way Anthony Joshua can win deontay wilder. Absolutely no way, let him better respect himself and just avoid him for now.!!
grin true talk
There is sense in this
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:55am On Dec 10, 2019
Brendan Rodgers On Kelechi Iheanacho's Rebirth

Culled from the Leicester Mercury:

“I thought he was great. He played the role how we wanted him to play. He creates Jamie’s first goal, gets the second one with a good finish,

"I just think with Kels now that he’s settling in to being a Leicester City player. He’s come in and he was playing second fiddle to Jamie without many appearances.

“Probably before when he’s come into games... When you’re not playing so much, sometimes can you force it. You come and try to force the performance.

"All I said to him was just work hard in training, that’s all you can do. Don’t worry about being picked or not, that’s the manager’s choice.

“But as long as you’re working hard and giving me something to think about, then that’s all you can do. He’s been first class in his training.

"You saw him in the cup games, he comes in and he scores. He did it at Everton, came on and made a great impact. It’s just a case of him coming in with confidence. I thought he was very good [against Aston Villa], his hold-up play, his link-up with the midfield. He was excellent.

When asked if Nacho is a "confidence" player:

“With any player, if their confidence is low, they don’t play so well. Every single player has confidence. For him, you can see his level is at a nice high level. He just needs to keep working, that’s the key to it.”

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:03am On Dec 10, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr and his employers - the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) may have opened another chapter of contention over player's selection.

NFF president Amaju Pinnick has been making effort to convince Queens Park Rangers midfielder Eberechi Eze to pledge his international allegiance to Nigeria.

While that effort has not yielded a result, Rohr has sighted someone else, a midfielder, who could easily agree to play for the Super Eagles.

His name is Ovie Ejaria, signed to Liverpool, but currently on loan at Reading.

The 22-year-old midfielder who is valued at £1m has shown versatility under Mark Bowen at the Madejski Stadium and Rohr is keen to add the Liverpool player to his squad.

“He’s (Ovie Ejaria) a good player no doubt and I will prefer him in the team now than the player (Eberechi Eze) the Federation are in talks with,” Rohr revealed.

“We will contact him and know what must be done to make him play for us. He is a better player than Eze.

“My fears are if we start chasing him in the media, England may join the race and it could be difficult.”

Pinnick met with Eze in London last month in a bid to lure the 21-year-old to switch allegiance to Nigeria but he requested for the chance to continue to focus on his club career which is going well so far.

Wise words and a far better approach to player recruitment.

This is what sensible and focused managers do. lts no longer speculation you can see that his approach and requirements are different from the NFF.

That's the problem of the NFF pursuing different agendas.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:05am On Dec 10, 2019
Rockyrascal:
ndidi came as a replacement. but if Bonaventure make a move to either Leceister or Manchester United, he will have to struggle for playing time.

He's not going to be first choice at those clubs and he may end up being a bench warmer.

Leicester have upped thier game with the arrival of Brendan.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:09am On Dec 10, 2019
andrewbaba44:
I hope iheanacho ends up scoring more epl goals than nicolas pepe at the end of the season

Pepe should score 12 epl goals unless i will confirm him a flop for this season

Some arsenal fans here wont have it easy with me, especially those ones that usually diss iwobi

KC is improving and the more he plays the more he will improve.

However, playing the adventurous system Leicester did against Villa is tactical by the Manager. And a reflection of how they see Villa.

I doubt if they would play that same system against a stronger EPL team.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:18am On Dec 10, 2019
Humility017:

it will linger for a long time because nothing presently is being done to solve this problem now and in the future....

the leaders/political robbers pay less attention to education, poverty alleviation programs, birth control etc. ..
currently we have over 10million amajiri kids who are not in school...but roaming around with plates...

none of the political class took the educational policy introduced by GEJ for this kids serious..... the former governor of Niger State even claim that almajiri part of their culture....
and recently Rev. Fr. kukah wanted initiate a means to see this kids feeding and education it was grossly resisted probably because of fear of them being converted to Christianity and all....

you can simply project the future by can taking a close and objective look at the happenings now.

It's tribalistic regionalism to label one area in sweeping blanket statement lazy and backward.

Ita also comical that these supposed lazy, backward and uneducated people. Have been running the country and have effective created a defacto dictatorship.

While we consider ourselves so intelligent and wise. Who is fooling who

Finally, I have never in all my many years in Nigeria seen such a blatant unbridled attack on our democracy. With the Sowore saga.

The DSS have become like the official thugs of the ruling party. Desecration of the court and then assuming we are all big fools denying they even entered the court.

I think our democratic experiment is now officially a JOKE.

And you say we are WISE
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:22am On Dec 10, 2019
charlesemeka85:
Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr and his employers - the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) may have opened another chapter of contention over player's selection.

NFF president Amaju Pinnick has been making effort to convince Queens Park Rangers midfielder Eberechi Eze to pledge his international allegiance to Nigeria.

While that effort has not yielded a result, Rohr has sighted someone else, a midfielder, who could easily agree to play for the Super Eagles.

The 22-year-old midfielder who is valued at £1m has shown versatility under Mark Bowen at the Madejski Stadium and Rohr is keen to add the Liverpool player to his squad.

“He’s (Ovie Ejaria) a good player no doubt and I will prefer him in the team now than the player (Eberechi Eze) the Federation are in talks with,” Rohr revealed.

“We will contact him and know what must be done to make him play for us. He is a better player than Eze.

“My fears are if we start chasing him in the media, England may join the race and it could be difficult.”

Pinnick met with Eze in London last month in a bid to lure the 21-year-old to switch allegiance to Nigeria but he requested for the chance to continue to focus on his club career which is going well so far.

If Rohr said this, then I am disappointed in him. He should have talked about deficiency in a particular role or preference in playing style due to the need of the team.

Running down another player is totally wrong.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:25am On Dec 10, 2019
Blueelf:
Can we all agree that the African Nation with the most in-form players is Nigeria smiley

I support my country Nigeria.

But that doesn't mean l loose objectivity.

In this regard look at Senegal and tell me we have better players than they do.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:25am On Dec 10, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

If Rohr said this, then I am disappointed in him. He should have talked about deficiency in a particular role or preference in playing style due to the need of the team.

Agreed without reservation or question

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 11:37am On Dec 10, 2019
charlesemeka85:

I honestly hope Rohr didn't say this. Anyway it is much easier to get Ejaria than Eze at the moment.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 11:46am On Dec 10, 2019
nairalandankrah:
Dessers’ Nigerian dream intact but harsh reality beckons

By Toby Prince

Monday
Background Image: Turing92, CC-BY-3.0

Cyriel Dessers is on course to fulfil a childhood dream of representing Nigeria instead of Belgium at international level. However, the 24-year-old Eredivisie top scorer risks extinction afterwards. He must tread carefully.

It isn't novel anymore for the Nigerian FA to poach players with any link whatsoever to the country. By birth, paternal or maternal, they hunt those perceived to possess exceptional traits, like hunters going all out for animals’ rhino horn. There's no limit to their desperation.

England is the primary target. Colonial ties and the Premier League's razzmatazz appeals. As any major tournament arrives, a British-breed is targeted. Camberwell-born Joe Aribo is the latest to fall prey.

Semi Ajayi, Ola Aina, Josh Maja and Alex Iwobi were the other one-time English prodigies that featured alongside the Glasgow Rangers midfielder on his debut against Ukraine in October. Jamilu Collins (Germany), William Troost-Ekong (Netherlands) and Anderson Esiti (Portugal) make it octet of ‘foreign mercenaries’.

As deplorable as it may seem, the system is yielding dividend. More and more Nigerian stars in the diaspora are showing interest to don the green and white jersey. In the current Super Eagles roster, there is about 11 eligible for other nations. Cyriel Dessers rounds it to a dozen.

Born in Leuven to a Belgian father, the 24-year-old qualifies for Nigeria through his mother. His Super Eagles path is cleared by his uncapped status for The Red Devils at any level. For Dessers, his motherland was always the first choice even though the obvious competition in Roberto Martinez's team contributed.

It took Dessers a ton of blood, sweat, and tears to get Nigeria's attention. He’s toiled in the fringes of the lower leagues, from Belgium to the Netherlands before reaching the elite class. His 61 goals and 25 assists in the last three years for NAC Breda, FC Utrecht and Heracles Almelo hastened the process.

Soar Super Eagles

SSE_NGA

Cyriel Dessers �:

"There's already been contact with the NFF. After the match against ADO Den Haag (last Saturday), an official from Nigeria sent me a message that I was doing well.

"But it's not going to be easy for me there either -

Dessers began his career at OH Leuven in his neighbourhood but made a solitary senior appearance. City rivals Lokeren gave him a fresh start in 2014. There he enjoyed regular football, hitting seven goals in 40 appearances across two seasons.

Dessers’ real poachers qualities came to the fore after crossing the border to the Netherlands in 2016. At second-tier Breda, he buried 29 goals in 40 matches, helping them secure promotion. He, however, elected to have his first feel of Eredivisie elsewhere – Utrecht. Two seasons at Stadion Galgenwaard yielded 19 goals.

Despite finishing sixth last season, Dessers ditched Utrecht for Almelo. He must be glad he did. With 11 goals, the 24-year-old is the division's top marksman. An additional five assists mean the soon-to-be capped Super Eagle is involved in over 55 per cent of Heracles’ 29 strikes. He was named the league's November Player of the Month after scoring six goals and producing three assists.

Dessers bears all the hallmarks of the archetypal goal-getter. Headers, scrappy follow-ups, 20-yard drives straight out of the top drawer, he notches them all. Standing at 6'1", he possesses a similar physique to Lille's Victor Osimhen. While not blessed with abundant pace like the 19-year-old, he doesn't relinquish possession without a fight.

Without a doubt, Dessers would be a great addition to a young and exciting Nigerian bunch. Although Osimhen already locked down the solitary starting berth in the attack, Gernot Rohr could do with extra firepower from the bench. Regular backup Paul Onuachu hasn't quite been up to the task.

Dessers, though, might be caught up in Rohr's experimental web, especially in the final third. For every Iwobi success story, there is a Maja yet to click. For Aina, a certain Tyrone Ebuehi was sacrificed. While a Brian Idowu had to make way for Collins. It doesn't always follow the plot.

Rohr is notorious for inviting players and not capping them. Sometimes, he ceases to extend invitation after just two matches. Ndifreke Udo, David Okereke, Maja, Peter Olayinka, Emmanuel Dennis are just a few victims with barely an hour of international football among them.

Dessers could be next. Beware, you're warned.
Maja is yet to click after a few mins of action? What kind of weed is this writer smoking? Calling foreign born "mercenaries" shows just how bigoted some naija folks can be.
If Rohr invited Dessers when he was playing second division football, they'd calling him all sort of names. Some people just have an agenda against Rohr.
Fix the damn structure in our football and stop blaming the wrong people!!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 11:51am On Dec 10, 2019
komekn:

nobody said 'better', the term used was 'in form'

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:01pm On Dec 10, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
Brendan Rodgers On Kelechi Iheanacho's Rebirth

Culled from the Leicester Mercury:

“I thought he was great. He played the role how we wanted him to play. He creates Jamie’s first goal, gets the second one with a good finish,

"I just think with Kels now that he’s settling in to being a Leicester City player. He’s come in and he was playing second fiddle to Jamie without many appearances.

“Probably before when he’s come into games... When you’re not playing so much, sometimes can you force it. You come and try to force the performance.

"All I said to him was just work hard in training, that’s all you can do. Don’t worry about being picked or not, that’s the manager’s choice.

“But as long as you’re working hard and giving me something to think about, then that’s all you can do. He’s been first class in his training.

"You saw him in the cup games, he comes in and he scores. He did it at Everton, came on and made a great impact. It’s just a case of him coming in with confidence. I thought he was very good [against Aston Villa], his hold-up play, his link-up with the midfield. He was excellent.

When asked if Nacho is a "confidence" player:

“With any player, if their confidence is low, they don’t play so well. Every single player has confidence. For him, you can see his level is at a nice high level. He just needs to keep working, that’s the key to it.”

Thegoodjoe knows football wella. Training is everything.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrKlever(m): 12:02pm On Dec 10, 2019
komekn:

We have better players than them and also a better team. Except you see every Senegalese players as a Mane.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:10pm On Dec 10, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

Thegoodjoe knows football wella. Training is everything.

It is nice to hear Nacho is First Class in training but this is the easy part. He has learnt a lot and I was impressed when Rodgers was giving some advice to a player, before Nacho was substituted, how Nacho ran to listen to what Rodgers was saying. Shows Nacho is hungry to learn.

Now comes the hard part. To keep learning and being first class in training for the coming years of his career. That is how he gets to become a World Class player.

He needs to maintain his diet and fitness. Instead of adding, he needs to keep shedding pounds to move faster and stay sharper.

Praying for the best for the young man.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 12:10pm On Dec 10, 2019
komekn:

Wise words and a far better approach to player recruitment.

This is what sensible and focused managers do. lts no longer speculation you can see that his approach and requirements are different from the NFF.

That's the problem of the NFF pursuing different agendas.

What will England want to approach Ejaria for ?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:12pm On Dec 10, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

He always does that. I remember him saying Nosa was better than John Ogu but one thing is that he has an open mind. Even though he said it he still gave Ogu the chance to prove him wrong

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:20pm On Dec 10, 2019
DrKlever:
We have better players than them and also a better team. Except you see every Senegalese players as a Mane.
aside Mane and Gueye, it's hard to recall any other Senegalese player
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:21pm On Dec 10, 2019
safarigirl:
nobody said 'better', the term used was 'in form'

Good mornng.

It seems you missed me so much.

Your comment is pedantic and without substance, i find no difference considering the context in which the term in-form is used and the meaning it conveys.

You missed me my only conclusion tongue tongue tongue cheesy grin LOL
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nairalandankrah: 12:21pm On Dec 10, 2019
Mancity fans now want nacho back!! They say he is better than Jesus...

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 12:22pm On Dec 10, 2019
Joebie:
yes na

That's a good one. At least, I'm glad he's not just playing but doing well too.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:22pm On Dec 10, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

He always does that. I remember him saying Nosa was better than John Ogu but one thing is that he has an open mind. Even though he said it he still gave Ogu the chance to prove him wrong

That is okay but Rohr should be aware of players feelings. Eze might feel not liked by Rohr with such statements. Rohr should always emphasise on tactical needs of the team than saying a player is better than the other.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:23pm On Dec 10, 2019
komekn:

Good mornng.

It seems you missed me so much.

Your comment is pedantic and without substance, i find no difference considering the context in which the term in-form is used and the meaning it conveys.

You missed me my only conclusion tongue tongue tongue cheesy grin LOL

You have a deluded idea of yourself it seems.

Anyway, another good soil has given you the appropriate reply, since your knowledge of African football teams is rather limited.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:23pm On Dec 10, 2019
nairalandankrah:
Mancity fans now want nacho back!! They say he is better than Jesus...

I too want Nacho back. However, there is some effortless hardwork Gabriel Jesus brings that Nacho still needs to learn. However, Nacho trumps Gabriel Jesus hands down in build up plays and finishing.

I think Nacho is okay at Leicester City but I think we need him more than Leicester City.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:26pm On Dec 10, 2019
komekn:

KC is improving and the more he plays the more he will improve.

However, playing the adventurous system Leicester did against Villa is tactical by the Manager. And a reflection of how they see Villa.

I doubt if they would play that same system against a stronger EPL team.

Agreed

They might change that system against a stronger team
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nairalandankrah: 12:36pm On Dec 10, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

I too want Nacho back. However, there is some effortless hardwork Gabriel Jesus brings that Nacho still needs to learn. However, Nacho trumps Gabriel Jesus hands down in build up plays and finishing.

I think Nacho is okay at Leicester City but I think we need him more than Leicester City.
Nacho performed incredibly well in a city shirt

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:37pm On Dec 10, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

That is okay but Rohr should be aware of players feelings. Eze might feel not liked by Rohr with such statements. Rohr should always emphasise on tactical needs of the team than saying a player is better than the other.

It is called mind games. Wouldn't that make you want to hurry up and decide so you can prove Rohr wrong? I think the message was cryptic somewhat because he is catching the proverbial 2 birds with one stone. Ejeria feels loved and wants to come while Eze feels slighted and storms to prove his class. Either way we have serious competition in our midfield.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:38pm On Dec 10, 2019
nairalandankrah:

Nacho performed incredibly well in a city shirt

Nacho fired on all cylinders for Man City. I felt sad when he left because I thought he was the one to take over from Aguero.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:39pm On Dec 10, 2019
BascoVanVeli:

It is called mind games. Wouldn't that make you want to hurry up and decide so you can prove Rohr wrong? I think the message was cryptic somewhat because he is catching the proverbial 2 birds with one stone. Ejeria feels loved and wants to come while Eze feels slighted and storms to prove his class. Either way we have serious competition in our midfield.

Or he might turn Eze Off from wanting to play for us, hence he is not wanted due to a better choice.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:39pm On Dec 10, 2019
Matt
@scfc151
just give etebo 45 mins against derby! he will probably have more of an impact in 45 mins than allan has had all season

Fans can be funny.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7925) (7926) (7927) (7928) (7929) (7930) (7931) ... (16177) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Yachambliss(m), elyte89, Badbunny and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.