Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,774 members, 7,862,538 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 07:05 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (8123) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11941049 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8120) (8121) (8122) (8123) (8124) (8125) (8126) ... (16352) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:19pm On Jan 08, 2020
Barryseal:

It appears you don't know KANU was handed the the African player of the year award in Lagos 2000 durring Nigeria's opening game of the Afcon. Kufor played up to the champions league finals where they lost thanks Ole Gunner solsjare last minute goals in 1999, Bayern clamined the champions league title the following year which wad the same year Afcon took place.
Chei, bros wrong info full here o. First the award was for 1999 but he got the plaque in Feb 2000 at the start of afcon and Bayern didn't win UCL in year 2000 Madrid did, Bayern won it in 2001 by beating Valencia via PK
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 1:20pm On Jan 08, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
Lol.... Who doesn't know?? Does it then mean to won it for 2000?? Abeg don't be dull man... be smart please. Mane was just awarded the CAF APOTY this year in January. Does it mean he is the 2020 CAF award winner? Was it not for 2019?? Goodness...

Bayern winning the UCL in 2000 had nothing to do with Kanu's APOTY win in 1999. Period.

Bayern played the champions league finals and swept the German titles with kuffor one of the main stays of that team while KANU was playing 3rd fiddle to Henry and Dennis Bergkamp at Arsenal.
Mane was given the award in 2020, I can say he won it in 2020 if I wish because that is actually not a wrong sentence. English is very fluid that's why you need lawyers when signing papers.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 1:20pm On Jan 08, 2020
Mickael2:

Hakimi was the second choice, when Regullion came through, he first kicked him out as second choice then displaced Marcelo before Zidane came back and replaced him at which point he moved to Sevilla, if it comes to the La Liga, you have absolutely no knowledge there.

How is that relevant? If you are not as good as Regullion then I really do not see how you can be the best young player in Africa. This does not in anyway mean that he hasn't been good but winning the best young player? Come on.

Oshimen played for Charleroi granted, but does that mean the goalposts were larger in Belgium? Shebi it is the same measurements and he scored there right? And he has been scoring in France too right? Please while you are talking about Oshimen, please do tell us Hakimi's stats from the second part of last season, I am waiting.

Hakimi was second choice or tenth choice when regullion came through doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve the award ,what is the point in that

Hakimi has been playing 1st team football for the past 2 seasons and he has won the award so stop speaking about when he was 10th choice for Madrid

Save your self the stress by writing this punch news paper

EOD
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:22pm On Jan 08, 2020
Barryseal:

Mikel played a role in Nigeria winning the AFCON but claiming him to be the most influential in the team is taking it a notch too far.
You can argue with bleachers report https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1524167-why-john-obi-mikel-should-have-been-named-afcon-mvp

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:23pm On Jan 08, 2020
mikel was immense and a colossal figure in that afcon winning team. he was class above others and was suppose to be voted player of the tournament which he lost by little voting numbers to the burkina faso player that won it.

obi was too smooth and classy althrough the tournament
TheSuperNerd:
Thank you for repeating this. I said it ooo in my Epistles but it's obvious these lots chose to keep reading something else.

Lacina Traore was so close to stealing an equaliser but Mikel amazingly scooped the ball away before Lacina had the chance to shoot at an exposed Eagles goal.

This and many more influential contributions saw Mikel emerge from that tournament a legend to remember. People wanna change history but it is impossible.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:24pm On Jan 08, 2020
Barryseal:

Bayern played the champions league finals and swept the German titles with kuffor one of the main stays of that team while KANU was playing 3rd fiddle to Henry and Dennis Bergkamp at Arsenal.
Mane was given the award in 2020, I can say he won it in 2020 if I wish because that is actually not a wrong sentence. English is very fluid that's why you need lawyers when signing papers.

Now, I recall Kuffour won the UCL in 2001 sef.... it was Madrid x Valencia in 2000. Madrid won it. More rubbish yet again from you. SMH.

Anyway, Suit yourself. This is exactly what folly looks like when being corrected on a gaffe and its silly way at looking at things. Mane is 2020 CAF APOTY winnner... Well done Barry! grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:25pm On Jan 08, 2020
obi was the most influential player in the nigerian team that went on to win the tournament. his big game experience and class was evident against the CIV where he bossed the midfield and pocketed yaya.

his last minute clearance off the line made the game not to stretch into extra time. that game was one of his best in the colors of the national team
jihday:
You can argue with bleachers report https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1524167-why-john-obi-mikel-should-have-been-named-afcon-mvp

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 1:26pm On Jan 08, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
Emenike didn't... Did he? Emenike didn't boss proceedings against B/Faso, Zambia, CIV and Mali did he? Emenike was no engine room was he? No way, Emenike stands influential over a man he fed off from all tournament several of which he squandered sef. Mikel was the man indeed. Finito.

If not because of influence, why do strikers get the most recognition and awards in football?
Your argument is from the stand point of bias towards Mikel and not facts.
Match winners is and will always be the most influential 99% of the time.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 1:28pm On Jan 08, 2020
TheSuperNerd:

Now, I recall Kuffour won the UCL in 2001 sef.... it was Madrid x Valencia in 2000. Madrid won it. More rubbish yet again from you. SMH.

Anyway, Suit yourself. This is exactly what folly looks like when being corrected on a gaffe and its silly way at looking at things. Mane is 2020 CAF APOTY winnner... Well done Barry! grin
I want you to tell us why a bench warmer won the African player of the year ahead of a more active player who won titles.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:31pm On Jan 08, 2020
he was 2nd choice before he was loaned to dortmund which made regullion to be promoted to the first team. kid have always looked promising and currently one of the best LBs in europe. i doubt many do follow his career progression till date. madrid wants him back next summer while bayern are pushing to splash the cash on him.

sentiment aside he deserves the award.
andrewbaba44:

Hakimi was second choice or tenth choice when regullion came through doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve the award ,what is the point in that

Hakimi has been playing 1st team football for the past 2 seasons and he has won the award so stop speaking about when he was 10th choice for Madrid

Save your self the stress by writing this punch news paper

EOD

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:33pm On Jan 08, 2020
Barryseal:

If not because of influence, why do strikers get the most recognition and awards in football?
Your argument is from the stand point of bias towards Mikel and not facts.
Match winners is and will always be the most influential 99% of the time.

With this I rest my case and hand you over to Jihday's post from Bleacher Reports. B/R football is top notch. Perhaps you can continue your lame analysis with them... Me I am done with someone who thinks a striker scoring makes him so super influential "in all cases" (not minding the creative forces behind him). If that's so, Xavi should not have been crowned Euro 2008's MVP. Biko bye bye.... Jihday... Over to you abeg. grin Abeg catch the pass... **Over and out**

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:36pm On Jan 08, 2020
Remind him that ahead of those who scored the goals that won Italy the 2006 World Cup canavaro emerged as the best of the tournament and went on to win the balon d'or that same year
TheSuperNerd:

With this I rest my case and hand you over to Jihday's post from Bleacher Reports. B/R football is top notch. Perhaps you can continue your lame analysis with them... Me I am done with someone who thinks a striker scoring makes him so super influential "in all cases" (not minding the creative forces behind him). If that's so, Xavi should not have been crowned Euro 2008's MVP. Biko bye bye.... Jihday... Over to you abeg. grin Abeg catch the pass... **Over and out**
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:37pm On Jan 08, 2020
Barryseal:

I want you to tell us why a bench warmer won the African player of the year ahead of a more active player who won titles.

Benchwarmer?? Another rubbish. Kanu won in 1999 not so? Yet Kuffour won UCL in 2001... Lol... Abeg Barry, you dey entertain I swear... Biko Bye bye... You are lost. cheesy

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:38pm On Jan 08, 2020
Na the kind of pple wey dey rate dribblers and showboaters ahead of players with efficiency and tactical discipline
TheSuperNerd:

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 1:45pm On Jan 08, 2020
TheSuperNerd:

Benchwarmer?? Another rubbish. Kanu won in 1999 not so? Yet Kuffour won UCL in 2001... Lol... Abeg Barry, you dey entertain I swear... Biko Bye bye... You are lost. cheesy
Didn't Kufor play in the finals of 1999 champions league against Man Utd? What's the parallel with 2001? All this just to avoid agreeing with the fact that Caf have favored you in the past.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 1:51pm On Jan 08, 2020
TheSuperNerd:

I've read alot of below par analysis on bleachers previously. Their transfer speculation are some of the daftest jokes on the internet. I can scarvage the internet and pull articles agreeing why Yaya deserves the award.
Even BBC gave Yaya Toure the BBC African player of the year award. But will rather not pull such articles to embarrass you, Jihday and bleachers.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:52pm On Jan 08, 2020
TheSuperNerd:

Lol, me I don tire na why I tell am to continue with BR

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 1:53pm On Jan 08, 2020
charlesemeka85:
he was 2nd choice before he was loaned to dortmund which made regullion to be promoted to the first team. kid have always looked promising and currently one of the best LBs in europe. i doubt many do follow his career progression till date. madrid wants him back next summer while bayern are pushing to splash the cash on him.

sentiment aside he deserves the award.

I didn’t doubt the fact that he wasn’t second choice

All I am asking him is what does being second choice got to do with him winning the award ?

They argue blindly simple point they can’t make

Hakimi has been regular at Dortmund from last season still this season and he has won the award twice if I am not mistaken

So using him being second choice or tenth choice as an arguement makes no sense

The fact that he has been regular at Dortmund for the past 2 seasons
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 1:55pm On Jan 08, 2020
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:55pm On Jan 08, 2020
Barryseal:

I've read alot of below par analysis on bleachers previously. Their transfer speculation are some of the daftest jokes on the internet. I can scarvage the internet and pull articles agreeing why Yaya deserves the award.
Even BBC gave Yaya Toure the BBC African player of the year award. But will rather not pull such articles to embarrass you, Jihday and bleachers.
'The one thing that football fans – Nigerian fans at that, agreed on last February was that Mikel was Nigeria’s best player at the Afcon in South Africa, above the duo of Moses and Emenike, who played commendable parts in the surprise victory.' this is also from goal.com you can also argue with them too

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:57pm On Jan 08, 2020
Barryseal:

So you rate Mikel ahead of Moses, Emenike and Enyeama? Not to talk of Mba whose direct impact won the trophy?
Do you know Mikel's penalty miss against Zambia almost jeopardized Nigeria's chances to progress to the quater finals?
do you know that Mikel made up for that penalty miss by assisting Emmanuel to give Nigeria the lead against Zambia.

Mikel was the heart and soul of that 2013 title-winning team without him I seriously doubt we would have won that competition.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:57pm On Jan 08, 2020
Barryseal:

Argue with BBC who gave Yaya Toure the award.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/25154008
Walai I don tire, we are talking about Mikel being influential at afcon 2013 how come Yaya Toure enter am? Does he play for Nigeria?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:59pm On Jan 08, 2020
jihday:
Lol, we dey see things for this thread
o GA o! Sammy a midfielder? Then I guess Oliver Kahn was a striker lol

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:04pm On Jan 08, 2020
grin My Guy lol Sammy kuffour one of the best midfielder? And he repeated it again

[ author=TheSuperNerd post=85612997]

Chisos... Who is this clueless guy yapping more nonsense?? Kanu won the APOTY for 1996 and 1999. Not 2000!!!! And twice Kanu more than deserved it!!!

And Samuel Osei Kuffour was no bloody Midfielder... Dammit! Today must be Barry's cluelessness day... Na reallll wa grin[/quote]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 2:05pm On Jan 08, 2020
jihday:
Walai I don tire, we are talking about Mikel being influential at afcon 2013 how come Yaya Toure enter am? Does he play for Nigeria?
Was I the person who pasted the bleachers article why Mikel should have won instead of Yaya? What a paradox.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 2:07pm On Jan 08, 2020
TheSuperNerd:

You rest your case and you still dey reply abi ?

I just dey look you since

Thou I support you for this arguement sha

I no come understand barryseal
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 2:08pm On Jan 08, 2020
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
chrisooblog:
o GA o! Sammy a midfielder? Then I guess Oliver Kahn was a striker lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 2:09pm On Jan 08, 2020
chrisooblog:
do you know that Mikel made up for that penalty miss by assisting Emmanuel to give Nigeria the lead against Zambia.

Mikel was the heart and soul of that 2013 title-winning team without him I seriously doubt we would have won that competition.
The argument is not if Mikel played a role in winning afcon or not. The argument is him being the most INFLUENCIAL.
Are you saying without Mbah's effort, Moses goals, assists and threat, Emenike's power, industry and goals/assists, Enyeams's world class saves and leadership as captain, we would have won because somehow Mikel performed better than all these guys? Come on man.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Toylove: 2:10pm On Jan 08, 2020
Barryseal:

The argument is not if Mikel played a role in winning afcon or not. The argument is him being the most INFLUENCIAL.
Are you saying without Mbah's effort, Moses goals, assists and threat, Emenike's power, industry and goals, Enyeams's save and leadership as captain, we would have won because somehow Mikel performed better than all these guys? Come on man.
Alaye, take ur L and rest jare.....
U spoil everything as u call kufour midfielder .

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 2:11pm On Jan 08, 2020
southampton interested in ebere eze
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 2:12pm On Jan 08, 2020
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Toylove:

Alaye, take ur L and rest jare.....
U spoil everything as u call kufour midfielder .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kendrick93(m): 2:12pm On Jan 08, 2020
Mickael2:

The French ligue has been on break dude. Should he score at home? He possibly has done that but we wouldn't know yet.

How has Hakimi been putting in MOTM performances in the champions league? The only reason Dortmund still are in the UCL is because of Sancho, I watched their two legs against Inter and against Barcelona and dude wasn't really a prime Marcelo, not by any stretch of the imagination, he is good but definitely not this world beater y'all are talking about else he would be a starter in Madrid and not Dortmund
Are you Ok?
How old was prime Marcelo when he was as you said 'prime' Marcelo...
Hakimi is a young fullback with potential......This award is not for the finished products but rather young player of the year....
As for your other points,i remembered Hakimi motm performance against Slavia Prague...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (8120) (8121) (8122) (8123) (8124) (8125) (8126) ... (16352) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: semid4lyfe(m), charlesemeka85(m), codemaniacs, opes, minfelix(m), do4luv14(m), jieta and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.