Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,227 members, 7,867,590 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 07:12 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (8126) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11968446 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8123) (8124) (8125) (8126) (8127) (8128) (8129) ... (16379) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 7:45pm On Jan 08, 2020
ChrisKels:

HOW EBERE EZE SPARKED DISAGREEMENT BETWEEN ROHR AND NFF PRESIDENT PINNICK

The cold war between President of the Nigeria Football Federation ( NFF) Amaju Pinnick and coach of the Super Eagles Gernot Rohr was fueled by a disagreement over inviting QPR midfielder Ebere Eze, Owngoalnigeria.com understands.
Pinnick is a big fan of the 21 year old and sincerely believe he will bring the much needed creativity and flair that is missing in the Super Eagles if called up by Rohr.

Rohr on the other hand is not so keen on the QPR forward as he believes his present options in midfield are in a way suitable to the present style of play of the team although he made a u-turn and spoke via proxy to the player before the Super Eagles last round of games in the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers.

After growing frustrated over Rohr's snubs, Eze decided to honour a call up to the England U21 ahead of Nigeria which means he will now require a clearance from FIFA before he can play for Nigeria and that infuriated Pinnick who had pushed for him to be called up earlier as it takes a whole lot to get a player cleared by FIFA after playing for England.

The NFF supremo however didn’t give up on the talent and travelled to London where he had dinner with the player, in the process revealed that Eze is still keen on representing Nigeria.
That didn’t go down well with Rohr who always want things done outside the attention of the media after the failed attempt to lure Tammy Abraham before the World Cup 2018 in Russia. Pinnick is however not on same wavelength with the German coach because he felt Rohr was too slow to act, otherwise the boy wouldn't have been capped by England to subject Nigeria to the long process of clearing a player they already had in their hands.

Furthermore speaking with Cyriel Dessers behind the coach and posting his switch of allegiance speech on the official website of the NFF somehow undermines the authority of Rohr who believes he should be the one to speak with Dessers not the President.

Pinnick’s action has placed the coach under pressure to call up the forward who has been in good form for Dutch side Heracles Almelo. Rohr is however not fully convinced that the forward is needed now in the Super Eagles.

The two issues has further dented the frosty relationship the duo have been trying to patch since the end of the World Cup 2018 in Russia where they both disagreed on the reason behind the group stage exit of the Super Eagles.

Source?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:48pm On Jan 08, 2020
I think it is safe to say that Rohr has been the one sabotaging every effort Pinnick has been making to ensure that the best legs, especially those born abroad, represents Nigeria.

Our midfield lacks creativity yet u were dragging ur foot to get Eze? A midfield that has had the likes of Ogu, Onazi, Agu, Esiti et al?

Now our team has no option besides Osimhen in the striking position, yet he is still dragging his foot to call up Dessers? We are just an injury or a dip in form on Osimhen, away from a very blunt attack.

This is one of the reasons, Pinnick had to put that list vetting condition on his new deal, to ensure the right players are invited

tbaba1234:

Rohr showed no interest in Eze for a long time. It took some pressure for him to make a halfhearted attempt for him and he did not contact him directly.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by profmathsland(m): 7:51pm On Jan 08, 2020
Utonwanne:

When was 2019 best player given? No be 2020? Make una no dae rubbish person talk abeg!

He might be right actually cool

Actually he isn't. Especially when you consider he said Kuffour won the UCL in 2000 insinuating that Kanu was wrong to be awarded in 2000. But Kanu was awarded in 2000 for 1999 APOTY.
He uses that premise to now say Mane won the APOTY for 2020.
But again, his post was even more funny because Kuffour was no UCL winner in 2000 but in 2001. So how was he even in the merit talk when Kanu won it? Tu comprends? You understand now?
So yes... All his talk is total rubbish. No apologies for that. grin Supernerd and Daniel are right to hit the post as he keeps dragging it even when shown wrong.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by profmathsland(m): 7:57pm On Jan 08, 2020
I find it funny seeing some folks talking down the influence of Mikel in our Afcon 2013 triumph. It is funny and very disturbing. I guess someday, some will also talk down the influence of Ighalo in our Afcon 2019 run.
We have utterly deliberately forgetful fans who just talk based on the fact they never liked a player. It is so obvious.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 7:58pm On Jan 08, 2020
Danielnino00:

False!!

He won the 1999 African footballer of the year award not 2000's
..That they gave him the award in 2000 doesn't make any difference..

The whole post itself is a lie .. Sammy Kuffor wasn't a midfielder and he didn't win the UCL in 2000 ...

Don't let the language confuse you. That I choose to highlight the actual year which Kanu was given the award doesn't make my assertion wrong. Kanu won the award in 2000 for 1998-1999 season but the actual ceremony was held in 2000 at the national stadium in Lagos. So if I say he won the award in 2000, I am logically very very correct.

It was a typo tagging Kuffor a midfielder instead of a defender, but it doesn't take away the fact that he was a pillar in Bayern's championship winning side and a main stay in their champions league run to the finals while Kanu was a bench warmer at Arsenal.
Kanu won the award and Kuffor came second.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:02pm On Jan 08, 2020
tbaba1234:

Rohr showed no interest in Eze for a long time. It took some pressure for him to make a halfhearted attempt for him and he did not contact him directly.

Any idea why Rohr doesn't like Eze ?

We really need him.... After the world cup,it became obvious that we needed a proper attacking midfielder.. Iwobi is trying but he is inconsistent!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Utonwanne(m): 8:13pm On Jan 08, 2020
tbaba1234:

Rohr must not contact him directly.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 8:17pm On Jan 08, 2020
Ndidi not in squad and Iheanacho on the bench for Leicester
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 8:18pm On Jan 08, 2020
Barryseal:

Don't let the language confuse you. That I choose to highlight the actual year which Kanu was given the award doesn't make my assertion wrong. Kanu won the award in 2000 for 1998-1999 season but the actual ceremony was held in 2000 at the national stadium in Lagos. So if I say he won the award in 2000, I am logically very very correct.

It was a typo tagging Kuffor a midfielder instead of a defender, but it doesn't take away the fact that he was a pillar in Bayern's championship winning side and a main stay in their champions league run to the finals while Kanu was a bench warmer at Arsenal.
Kanu won the award and Kuffor came second.

Did Kuffour win the said champions league gold medal before or after the APOTY award?

Though the ceremony was held in 2000, month january, just like it was yesterday, was the award given due to the 99 exploits of African players or due to their 2000 exploits?

What exactly is ur point?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:19pm On Jan 08, 2020
Osimhen starts. It is the Quarter finals of the Coupe de la Ligue in France. France's version of England's League cup competition.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:25pm On Jan 08, 2020
Utonwanne:

Everyone do make mistake. His argument is still valid. Mikel is loved by Nigerian, Baba no dae do much. Just like how ndidi is taking glory for doing close to nothing for SE

I don’t think Ndidi is taking glory as mikel oo

Maybe Ndidi is taking glory on this thread
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:26pm On Jan 08, 2020
kendrick93:
I understand your point...he was good no doubt but it could be argued he wasn't Nigeria's best..... The likes of Moses(my choice),emenike,enyeama all have a valid claim to being better in that tournament...
Mikel was Nigeria's biggest name at that tournament, doesn't make him head and shoulders like the guy up there was saying

Among all you listed, which of them had more man of the Match performances than Mikel. To the best of my knowledge, Mikel won three man of the match award in the AFCON and was clearly our best player in the competition.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nairalandankrah: 8:31pm On Jan 08, 2020
Very harsh on nacho
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nairalandankrah: 8:38pm On Jan 08, 2020
Wilfred has been injured in training & will need a minor operation ...estimated return date is mid February..feel sorry for Leicester
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:38pm On Jan 08, 2020
ChrisKels:
I think it is safe to say that Rohr has been the one sabotaging every effort Pinnick has been making to ensure that the best legs, especially those born abroad, represents Nigeria.

Our midfield lacks creativity yet u were dragging ur foot to get Eze? A midfield that has had the likes of Ogu, Onazi, Agu, Esiti et al?

Now our team has no option besides Osimhen in the striking position, yet he is still dragging his foot to call up Dessers? We are just an injury or a dip in form on Osimhen, away from a very blunt attack.

This is one of the reasons, Pinnick had to put that list vetting condition on his new deal, to ensure the right players are invited

Onauchu okereke are all human beings doing well ,yes we need dessers but saying we lack options apart from osimhen is totally wrong

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:38pm On Jan 08, 2020
Lol.... Correct Sir Goodjoe. You know, I just decided to do a quick check back on that tournament and check all MOTM winners.

Mikel was indeed our Highest MOTM winner. He won it against Burkina Faso twice. In the first game and in the final. That makes two.
Against Zambia that would have been Three as he was the best on Nigeria's side but Kennedy Mweene was Man of the Match.

Victor Moses never even won MOTM. But we cannot deny his influence alongside Mikel who was obviously the biggest influence and best on that team.
Against Ethiopia, it was Enyeama that even won it. Shocking how these guys forget that.

Mikel was our best at Afcon 2013. The records are there to back it up.

TheGoodJoe:

Among all you listed, which of them had more man of the Match performances than Mikel. To the best of my knowledge, Mikel won three man of the match award in the AFCON and was clearly our best player in the competition.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:40pm On Jan 08, 2020
profmathsland:
I find it funny seeing some folks talking down the influence of Mikel in our Afcon 2013 triumph. It is funny and very disturbing. I guess someday, some will also talk down the influence of Ighalo in our Afcon 2019 run.
We have utterly deliberately forgetful fans who just talk based on the fact they never liked a player. It is so obvious.

And I also find it funny seeing folks blinded by sentiment saying hakimi doesn’t deserve to win the young player of the year ahead of osimhen and chuks

I am sure most of you saw the arguement yesterday but because of sentiment you all would jump that topic and focus on mikel because you would win that arguement grin

Awon double standard

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 8:41pm On Jan 08, 2020
andrewbaba44:

Onauchu and okereke are all human beings doing well ,yes we need dessers but saying we lack options apart from osimhen is totally wrong

And those are the options?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:41pm On Jan 08, 2020
ChrisKels:

And those are the options?

They are sir because they are doing well for their clubs

Maybe if they stop doing well they won’t be options
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Utonwanne(m): 8:42pm On Jan 08, 2020
charlesemeka85:
and caf was daft to rate mikel as the 2nd most valuable player in that tournament right? do you know he won 3-4 man of the match awards and had 3 assist? a player is rated not by how many players he dribbles or goals scored but his importance,contribution and efficiency to the team.

the same reason canavaro a cb was italy's best in the 2006 world cup ahead of influential team mates such as totti,pirlo,gattuso,buffon,toni just to mention a few. also he went ahead to win the balon d'or the same year.

its now obvious you know little about the game of football. keep on watching for the sake of love and passion cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Na lie.... Mike won 2 MTM
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 8:44pm On Jan 08, 2020
andrewbaba44:

They are sir because they are doing well for their clubs
Maybe if they stop doing well they won’t be options
They are two inconsistent players, hence, they can not be relied upon
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Utonwanne(m): 8:47pm On Jan 08, 2020
profmathsland:

Actually he isn't. Especially when you consider he said Kuffour won the UCL in 2000 insinuating that Kanu was wrong to be awarded in 2000. But Kanu was awarded in 2000 for 1999 APOTY.
He uses that premise to now say Mane won the APOTY for 2020.
But again, his post was even more funny because Kuffour was no UCL winner in 2000 but in 2001. So how was he even in the merit talk when Kanu won it? Tu comprends? You understand now?
So yes... All his talk is total rubbish. No apologies for that. grin Supernerd and Daniel are right to hit the post as he keeps dragging it even when shown wrong.
He is correct, very correct.

Barry never said he won CAF 2000 player of the year, he said he won it in 2000.

Other things no concern me but as for the statement he made, he is Right. KPOM!!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:49pm On Jan 08, 2020
ChrisKels:

They are two inconsistent players, hence, they can not be relied upon

Agreed

That’s why they wont be first choice
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Utonwanne(m): 8:49pm On Jan 08, 2020
andrewbaba44:

And I also find it funny seeing folks blinded by sentiment saying hakimi doesn’t deserve to win the young player of the year ahead of osimhen and chuks

I am sure most of you saw the arguement yesterday but because of sentiment you all would jump that topic and focus on mikel because you would win that arguement grin

Awon double standard

No be by force to argue naa... grin

Wahala boi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Toylove: 8:57pm On Jan 08, 2020
Utonwanne:

Everyone do make mistake. His argument is still valid. Mikel is loved by Nigerian, Baba no dae do much. Just like how ndidi is taking glory for doing close to nothing for SE
He no dey do much but he was the pillar of the 2013 afcon team....

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 8:57pm On Jan 08, 2020
Wow Ndidi got injured in training
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 8:59pm On Jan 08, 2020
nairalandankrah:
Wilfred has been injured in training & will need a minor operation ...estimated return date is mid February..feel sorry for Leicester

Mid February!!!

*faints*
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:01pm On Jan 08, 2020
nairalandankrah:

Late January/Early February not Mid February

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 9:01pm On Jan 08, 2020
Dennis Praet is playing as a defensive midfielder

Hmm
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 9:05pm On Jan 08, 2020
This operations does it mean cutting open the body, because professional players seem to undergo operation on every minor injury?

Cc Tbaba1234
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 9:07pm On Jan 08, 2020
Utonwanne:

No be by force to argue naa... grin

Wahala boi

grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kbs468(m): 9:09pm On Jan 08, 2020
tbaba1234:

Impressive?? Looks like the usual trend with an odd away win
Atleast step by step wins the race isn't it?

We would certainly get there someday

(1) (2) (3) ... (8123) (8124) (8125) (8126) (8127) (8128) (8129) ... (16379) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Christology(m), Theben(m), tomsniel(m), Hanibal(m), gloryon(m), kingphilip(m), DrYa, paulos8 and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.