Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,643 members, 7,861,986 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 04:13 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (8667) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11936898 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8664) (8665) (8666) (8667) (8668) (8669) (8670) ... (16348) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:34pm On Jun 03, 2020
your realistic list is not based on national assignments alone though.

TheGoodJoe:

I understand that but will always pick the best for each role. Not just listing names for joke reasons. That is why my list is different. I am drafting a realistic list not a joke list of names.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:50pm On Jun 03, 2020
jihday:
Hitting purple patch and being actually good are different things sha, Kanu didn't even hit 50 goals for arsenal. 6 Afcon 3 WC no goal, 12 goals in 86 games, how else is he supposed to tell you he's not prolific?
my brother! Comparing somebody that could not score a single goal in 9 senior football tournament to someone who scored 14 goals in six tournaments and is our all-time highest goal scorer is most ridiculous!

Lol talking about dropping deep when we are not in a nightclub dancing konko below. Please we should fear God when making some comparisons.

Like you I respect and admire kanu nwankwo for his football skills and humanitarian gestures but that will not make me paints his career in the national team as something glorious when the facts on ground state otherwise.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:58pm On Jun 03, 2020
elyte89:

He was soaking up d knowledge on d bench grin
I suspect my man Joe works with an oil company the way he always talks about soaking drilling and now dropping deep grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:09pm On Jun 03, 2020
chrisooblog:
I suspect my man Joe works with an oil company the way he always talks about soaking drilling and now dropping deep grin

You deserve some Finnish Deadly Konk Chen kung-fu beating.

[img]https://media./images/8af9ee7a1f4760218734fd0dd43661e0/tenor.gif[/img]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:17pm On Jun 03, 2020
"Papilo [Kanu] you know is so crafty. When I watched the game later, I saw the way he positioned his body before he played the pass, he confused the defenders, they were thinking he was going to play left," Utaka said on Instagram Live.

"I knew what he was going to do, so immediately I wasn't even waiting, I started going. Against Angola away he did the same thing, that was years after.

"Whenever I see him positioning himself I'll go because I know he will drop the pass. When I got that ball I said the only thing I can do is not to waste time because the goalkeeper will close down the more I waste time.

"I was looking right but I knew I was going to play left, he got a slight touch on the ball.

"I needed to drag him to the right so that I can confuse him because the goalkeeper is huge as well. I said if I take one more touch, he will close down on me so I said let me release the ball first time. "

Utaka on Kanu Nwankwo.

There is far more to offensive play from a striker than goals. Watch the clip below and look at the split decisions, the dropping deep to build play, covering multiple offensive positions and how Kanu brought the other offensive players into the game. Finally, watch his gifted techniques on the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuIPjDAvasw
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tglobal(m): 4:29pm On Jun 03, 2020
TheGoodJoe:
[b]

There is far more to offensive play from a striker than goals. Watch the clip below and look at the split decisions, the dropping deep to build play, covering multiple offensive positions and how Kanu brought the other offensive players into the game. Finally, watch his gifted techniques on the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuIPjDAvasw

Your position will make even Okocha edge out both Kanu and Yekini as a good striker

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:40pm On Jun 03, 2020
tglobal:
Your submission will make even Okocha edge out both Yekini and Kanu for the striker's position
To an extent, the point may be true. With the growth of the modern possessive play and the creative requirements of forwards. When you look at offensive creative attack midfielders like Aguero and Tevez making names for themselves, coupled with the creative demands for strikers today, we can make a case for Jay Jay.

I remember watching an interview of Okocha when he was younger, he pointed out that he is a striker and not just a creative midfielder. Unfortunately, there were lots of potent strikers in the Super Eagles and he was more relied for his creative side.

Sometimes I wonder what would have been if he was given a chance to show his stuff upfront. Unfortunately, unlike today, footballing tactics in the past were too rigid. I also wondered what might have been if Oruma got such opportunity.

Today we have creative players leading attacks. Someone like Suarez is a good example.

Well, I will not put Okocha up top because he never had the chance to play as a striker.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:44pm On Jun 03, 2020
no need for long talk. Kanu is the most crafty. But proficiency at goals count. The likes of Yekini and Yakubu will bang in goals again and again even if they don't look pretty.

cc: TheGoodJoe

tglobal:

Your position will make even Okocha edge out both Kanu and Yekini as a good striker
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:46pm On Jun 03, 2020
Aghahowa sef lol
Danielnino00:

Even the likes of Yakubu,Musa and Martins will rank ahead of Kanu as far as the super eagles was concerned...

No disrespect to Papilo,but that's the truth.. he is more famous for his exploit at club level and at the Olympics...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 4:47pm On Jun 03, 2020
Utonwanne:

Sir which one be 'until Aguero assimilated the philosophy'?

Guardiola bought Gabriel and mistook him for De Lima. To right-prove his decision of getting the young Jesus, he gave him starting spot at the detriment of Aguero so that media would sing praises of how he unearthed a young gem.

Aguero has been great prayer and at very larger extent, he's not made by Guardiola.

Ps- This is not to say Pep is not great coach.

Who dey talk say na pep made aguero?

I go flog that person ooooo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:49pm On Jun 03, 2020
Joebie:
no need for long talk. Kanu is the most crafty. But proficiency at goals count. The likes of Yekini and Yakubu will bang in goals again and again even if they don't look pretty.

cc: TheGoodJoe

Technique and intelligence is a big part of the modern game and Kanu shone bright in those areas.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 4:53pm On Jun 03, 2020
Joebie:
read and understand. much emphasis is not put in the particular position they played when bestXI is named. which is why you will find strikers put as wingers and CBs as Full backs. It's common practice.

Abi...

Even Ramos was listed as a RB in the last FIFA world XI despite the fact that he had only played that role in the past....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 4:56pm On Jun 03, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
Terem Moffi is attracting huge interest from Ligue 1 side St. Etienne, Belgian Giants Anderlecht and Turkish Giants, Galatasaray SK.

I understand St.Etienne coach, Claude Puel has made contact with Moffi.

Make this juicy with a link nah
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:57pm On Jun 03, 2020
andrewbaba44:

Who dey talk say na pep made aguero?

I go flog that person ooooo

Club legend Lee is in awe of the 31-year-old, whom he believes has evolved into a complete striker under Guardiola's stewardship over the last four years.

“Sergio is simply remarkable,” the ex-City frontman told the club's official website. “When Pep Guardiola first came to the Club, he (Aguero) was an out and out goalscorer but now he is an out and out player who scores goals

“Pep asked me to try a new way of playing and I had to adapt. It wasn’t easy but I had no choice,” Aguero said in the new book Pep’s City: The Making of a Superteam, which is serialised in The Sun.

My game is totally different now from what I was doing five years ago at City. A total transformation. At that meal, we talked about loads of things.

Let me not talk.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:01pm On Jun 03, 2020
Danielnino00:

Abi...

Even Ramos was listed as a RB in the last FIFA world XI despite the fact that he had only played that role in the past....

Ramos actually played the right t back role for a while. I first knew Sergio Ramos as a right back and was that for some time. In Taribo's case, he never played the role for multiple games.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 5:07pm On Jun 03, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

Ramos actually played the left back role for a while. I first knew Sergio Ramos as a right back and was that for some time. In Taribo's case, he never played the role for multiple games.

I know that Ramos played as a RB.

What I meant was that he was drafted to the RB position to accommodate him on the FIFA XI team even though he hadn't played that position for a long time .

The person that dragged Taribo to LB did it to accommodate him in the lineup...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 5:15pm On Jun 03, 2020
jihday:
Wasn't an official game tho

He never deserved to be there nonetheless.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 5:22pm On Jun 03, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

Club legend Lee is in awe of the 31-year-old, whom he believes has evolved into a complete striker under Guardiola's stewardship over the last four years.

“Sergio is simply remarkable,” the ex-City frontman told the club's official website. “When Pep Guardiola first came to the Club, he (Aguero) was an out and out goalscorer but now he is an out and out player who scores goals

“Pep asked me to try a new way of playing and I had to adapt. It wasn’t easy but I had no choice,” Aguero said in the new book Pep’s City: The Making of a Superteam, which is serialised in The Sun.

My game is totally different now from what I was doing five years ago at City. A total transformation. At that meal, we talked about loads of things.

Let me not talk.

I no go read this thing baba

Pep didnt made or even changed aguero

You should know my love for pep
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 5:23pm On Jun 03, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

Ramos actually played the left back role for a while. I first knew Sergio Ramos as a right back and was that for some time. In Taribo's case, he never played the role for multiple games.

Hmm, tell me something i dont know

Ramos only played as a RB
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 5:37pm On Jun 03, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

You deserve some Finnish Deadly Konk Chen kung-fu beating.

[img]https://media./images/8af9ee7a1f4760218734fd0dd43661e0/tenor.gif[/img]
grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:12pm On Jun 03, 2020
andrewbaba44:

Hmm, tell me something i dont know

Ramos only played as a RB

Typo error, I meant to type right back but I also think I have seen him on the left but not regularly in his early days. Well, I meant to type right.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:13pm On Jun 03, 2020
Danielnino00:

I know that Ramos played as a RB.

What I meant was that he was drafted to the RB position to accommodate him on the FIFA XI team even though he hadn't played that position for a long time .

The person that dragged Taribo to LB did it to accommodate him in the lineup...

When Taribo never played the role.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:15pm On Jun 03, 2020
Iheanacho placed on special drill ahead of Premier league return
Moses Ojewunmi 0 June 3, 2020 8:08 am

Iheanacho placed on special drill ahead of Premier league return

Super Eagles forward, Kelechi Iheanacho has reportedly been placed on a special drill by his club Leicester City in order to help him get back to fitness before the restart of the Premier league.

Iheanacho returned from the coronavirus break looking overweight a few days ago and the club has now reportedly ordered to get back to shape before the restart of the Premier league.

The former Manchester City is expected to undergo a special drill and could also train away from the rest of the squad in order to regain his sharpness.

“His routine is different. He clearly needs some extra sessions to get back to shape. The good thing is that he is putting in work to return to the best shape possible. All things being equal he should be fit and ready for the premier league restart.” The source from the club said.

Iheanacho has scored eight goals for the Foxes this season before the league was suspended as the result of the coronavirus pandemic.

Meanwhile, the English Premier is expected to return June 17 and all are expected to hold behind the closed doors.

--Brila

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:18pm On Jun 03, 2020
Collins Suspended For Paderborn Away Game Vs RB Leipzig
June 3, 2020 1:13 am

Super Eagles left full-back, Jamilu Collins will not play any part when his club, Paderborn file out against home side RB Leipzig in a German Bundesliga match day 30 encounter on Saturday evening at the Red Bull Arena, Completesports.com reports

This is as a result of the defender’s accumulation of yellow cards after he was booked in Paderborn’s 6-1 thumping by Borussia Dortmund in a Bundesliga tie on Sunday.

Make money daily buying and selling bitcoin with Bitpatt refer others and earn more!
Collins got his name into the referee’s book in the 60th minute for dissent. That was after the match official awarded a free kick to Dortmund as Collins tripped hat-trick hero, Jadon Sancho.

The Nigeria international made a great contribution earlier in the 53rd minute with the defender relieving the pressure for Paderborn with a goal-mouth clearance.

Collins played the entire duration of the game for Paderborn who are currently bottom of the Bundesliga standings – his 25th German top-flight game this term, with a goal, two assists, seven cautions and a red card to his name.

Paderborn are at the bottom of the Bundesliga, eight points away from a relegation playoff spot with five rounds of matches remaining.

By Oluyemi Ogunseyin (CSN)
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:22pm On Jun 03, 2020
More on the good news I posted yesterday:

NPIFL secure N200m sponsorship deal for league
June 2, 2020 Editorial IV Sports 0

No fewer than 10 Nigerian private clubs have concluded plans to start a separate private league christened, Nigeria Private Investors Football League (NPIFL).

The NPIFL, which will consist of only private owned football clubs on Tuesday announced N200 million sponsorship.

The league organising body on Monday also set up five-man committee whose primary duty is to register the league and get approval from authority ahead of the kick off scheduled for this year.

“The temporary five-man committee headed by Proprietor, Remo Stars, Kunle Soname has been set up to make sure that they get the league registered and get approval from the authority,” sources said.

“When this is achieved, other private clubs who are willing to join can then register to participate in the NPIFL where every match will be live streamed and shown live on TV.

Proprietor of Kaduna-based Nigeria National League side, Kada City Football Club, Ekene Adams, while reacting to why a separate league from the leagues organised by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), the ‘youngest club owner’ said that the initiative was borne out of the how NFF is running Nigeria Football which add no financial value to private club owners adding that private clubs are the ones recognised by FIFA.

“We are not happy with the way the private club owners are been treated like an outcast. We sat down to seek the way forward for Nigerian football because there is nothing to write home about in the league. We then decided to invest in our own private league which will commence soon. Ekene Adams added.

“As we speak football clubs like; Dynamite Force of Benin, MFM FC Lagos, Oyah Sports Surja, Remo Stars Ogun State, Kada City of Kaduna, Go-Round FC and host of others have already registered for the independent league.

“The registered clubs will compete for the N200m prize money drawn from South-South, South-West, South-East, North-Central, North-West, and North-East.

“The TV stations and sponsors are already on ground waiting for the approval from the authority before setting the ball rolling.

“We don’t have any problem with anyone; in fact, we work hand-in-hand with the NFF. The private clubs owners are the real investors,” he concluded.

The champions in the first season will smile home with N100 million prize while the runners-up and 3rd position pocket N60 and N40 million respectively.

The champions, runners-up will not engage in any CAF inter-club competitions.

--Blueprint.ng

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:32pm On Jun 03, 2020
Dessers hoping for quick clarity on transfer

Speaking to TC/Tubantia, Dessers said, “I hope there will be news soon. I don’t want to drag and wait all summer. Without corona it would have been very different, I think. Now the market is so uncertain, everything is uncertain.”

Dessers wouldn’t comment on the interest from Genk, and he is hoping he doesn’t have to wait long for a deal, “I read somewhere that they want to extend the transfer period to October, they can do that, but really, I don’t want to wait that long and be in uncertainty.”

--FootballOranje

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clementoke(m): 6:34pm On Jun 03, 2020
Joebie:
More on the good news I posted yesterday:

NPIFL secure N200m sponsorship deal for league
June 2, 2020 Editorial IV Sports 0

No fewer than 10 Nigerian private clubs have concluded plans to start a separate private league christened, Nigeria Private Investors Football League (NPIFL).

The NPIFL, which will consist of only private owned football clubs on Tuesday announced N200 million sponsorship.

The league organising body on Monday also set up five-man committee whose primary duty is to register the league and get approval from authority ahead of the kick off scheduled for this year.

“The temporary five-man committee headed by Proprietor, Remo Stars, Kunle Soname has been set up to make sure that they get the league registered and get approval from the authority,” sources said.

“When this is achieved, other private clubs who are willing to join can then register to participate in the NPIFL where every match will be live streamed and shown live on TV.

Proprietor of Kaduna-based Nigeria National League side, Kada City Football Club, Ekene Adams, while reacting to why a separate league from the leagues organised by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), the ‘youngest club owner’ said that the initiative was borne out of the how NFF is running Nigeria Football which add no financial value to private club owners adding that private clubs are the ones recognised by FIFA.

“We are not happy with the way the private club owners are been treated like an outcast. We sat down to seek the way forward for Nigerian football because there is nothing to write home about in the league. We then decided to invest in our own private league which will commence soon. Ekene Adams added.

“As we speak football clubs like; Dynamite Force of Benin, MFM FC Lagos, Oyah Sports Surja, Remo Stars Ogun State, Kada City of Kaduna, Go-Round FC and host of others have already registered for the independent league.

“The registered clubs will compete for the N200m prize money drawn from South-South, South-West, South-East, North-Central, North-West, and North-East.

“The TV stations and sponsors are already on ground waiting for the approval from the authority before setting the ball rolling.

“We don’t have any problem with anyone; in fact, we work hand-in-hand with the NFF. The private clubs owners are the real investors,” he concluded.

The champions in the first season will smile home with N100 million prize while the runners-up and 3rd position pocket N60 and N40 million respectively.

The champions, runners-up will not engage in any CAF inter-club competitions.

--Blueprint.ng

Will they pull out from the NPFL?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:34pm On Jun 03, 2020
ScoreNigeria reports that Hercules is ready to lower asking price for Dessers.
This could be good news for Genk.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:38pm On Jun 03, 2020
Kortrijk General Manager not open to offers for Terem Moffi.

“They are two examples of boys who are capable of taking a step higher. But Moffi has not played even ten games here and I feel that Julien De Sart is also open to an extended stay. We certainly do not have any players leaving us soon,” Matthias Leterme told Het Laatste Nieuws.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:43pm On Jun 03, 2020
Mighty Bayern Munich celebrate Golden Eaglets star ‘Dada’ Daniel Francis
Read long report:
https://scorenigeria.com.ng/mighty-bayern-munich-celebrate-golden-eaglets-star-dada-daniel-francis/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:44pm On Jun 03, 2020
That's the big question. The only thing that can lure them to the NPFL is the money spinning CAF tourneys.
Let's keep studying developments.
Clementoke:

Will they pull out from the NPFL?

(1) (2) (3) ... (8664) (8665) (8666) (8667) (8668) (8669) (8670) ... (16348) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: sojious, BannedLarge, TheSuperNerd(m) and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.