Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,144 members, 7,815,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:43 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (8699) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11644877 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8696) (8697) (8698) (8699) (8700) (8701) (8702) ... (16144) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by iamdynamite(m): 5:18pm On Jun 09, 2020
somehow:

which of them?
its really hard to choose, but I will lean towards rangers
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 5:20pm On Jun 09, 2020
Tamunotonye22:

tbvh only Liverpool has been class this season. Man City has only used influence and and a very few times have been given a win due to VAR's stupidity.

Mancity has always been class abeg

Var has favoured liverpool more this season and everyone knows this, sote people dey call liverpool LiVARpool

because mancity dey second means they arent class abi? una too like double standard

I repeat VAR stupidity has favored Liverpool more

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LagosEconomist: 5:33pm On Jun 09, 2020
Kog45:
22 years old captain Stephen Keshi led Green Eagles against Idomitable Lion of Cameron(1984 Afcon final)in Ivory Coast which Nigeria lost 3-1.

Nigeria team was very young with Peter Rufai, Patrick Okala,Raymond Best,Sunday Eboigbe,Ademola Adeshina,Humphrey Edebor,Henry Nwosu,Rasheed Yekini,Yisa Sofoluwe,Chibuzor Ehilegbu,Clement Temile,Stephen Keshi with old warhorse Mudashiru Lawal.

The team find it difficult against very experienced Cameroonian team that was full with players from Espana 82 World Cup.The Cameroonian team did not lose a single match but failed to qualify from group stage in 1982 World Cup.

This was a Cameron team young Green Eagles led by Keshi faced in the final,but I will never forget the semi finals match with young Peter Rufai showed his class but injury kept him out in the final and Patrick Okala was in goal.

The African teams to the 82 World Cup (Cameroon and Algeria) were both among the top 10 or 12 in the world at the time without a doubt.

Not a big fan of Onigbinde, but it was a massive effort to build a new team that was good enough to win the AFCON against these 2 teams.

We held Algeria at the group stage. Egypt actually beat Cameroon in the group stage, & we managed to knock them out on penalties. If Rufai did not get injured in the Semis, we would have probably won the AFCON.

Patrick Okala was a huge step down.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 5:52pm On Jun 09, 2020
iamdynamite:
its really hard to choose, but I will lean towards rangers

What influenced your choice?
personal opinion
sentiment
or historical fact /stats?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 5:54pm On Jun 09, 2020
TheLoneCitizen:

An average club with a big-team mentality. In the next two season they'll break into the top four. Everything is just right about them.

It also makes winning sweeter, when you support a club that wins all the time, where is the joy? Like when they almost beat United.

Been supporting fully since 2017 when they were awful. Now they have Ancelotti, Sir Iwobi and Marcel Brands.

Everton is club with a history steeped in racism.

The have always anchored themselves on hard work and endeavour at one time the quintessential blood and guts team.

Exemplified in former manager Duncan Ferguson.

Ancelotti cannot change the ethos in a few seasons and with the limited budget l see him going the way of those before him.

Thier youth academy is based on the same ethos and create a good team at youth level that grinds out results with hardworking nit skill and technicality but very few individual outstanding technically gifted players.

Also the hierarchy of recruitment too like deal and Egunje.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by rabzy: 6:09pm On Jun 09, 2020
komekn:

The have always anchored themselves on hard work and endeavour at one time the quintessential blood and guts team.

Ancelotti cannot change the ethos in a few seasons and with the limited budget l see him going the way of those before him.

Thier youth academy is based on the same ethos and create a good team at youth level that grinds out results with hardworking nit skill and technicality but very few individual outstanding technically gifted players.

No information on why you deem them a racist club

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by abcnn: 6:13pm On Jun 09, 2020
komekn:

You are just making claims without proof.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Philosopher1979: 6:26pm On Jun 09, 2020
komekn:

This is why i dont rate the premier league. Beyond the top 6 it us full of teams without yechical ability who play long balls. It is kick and follow football. English players traditionally are syro g and fast without technical ability creativity or flair.
Historically it took wenger at arsenal to introduce technical football to the english. Cantona introduced play making strikers to them .guardiorla tiki taka and maurinho italian defensive tactics. When you rate english teams you make me feel like laughing. France holland and a few countries are the real factory talents. The premier league is good but overrated. After alk england doesnt do much in international football.
Mr. Komekn im sorry i dont see much in englush football. In fact the average brazillian league player is more technically gifted than a premier league player especially outside the top 6.

I have not been replying you because i dont have data

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 7:11pm On Jun 09, 2020
Hmmm, ok Julius berger

somehow:

you mean both have the highest number of se players ever?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:19pm On Jun 09, 2020
Eizzy003:
RAHEEM STERLING QUESTIONS WHY WHITE EX-PROS GET MANAGERIAL JOBS OVER BLACK COUNTERPARTS

Raheem Sterling has demanded to know why white ex-pros get better managerial jobs than their black counterparts.
Sterling took the game to task after its claims that Black Lives Matter by asking why there is still no black presence at the top.
He said: “I always refer back to football, the coaching staff you see around clubs. I’ll give a perfect one. There’s Steven Gerrard, your Frank Lampards, you have your Sol Campbells and you have your Ashley Coles.

"All had great careers, all played for England. At the same time, they’ve all respectfully done their coaching badges to coach at the highest level and the two that haven’t been given the right opportunities are the two black former players.”

There are currently only six black managers out of the 91 in English football’s top four divisions. There are still zero black referees

A string of clubs have been criticised for posting black squares as part of a social media protest last week and for issuing messages of solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement when the English game remains riven with institutional bias.

Sterling, speaking on BBC Newsnight, has become the latest player to insist change needs to come at the top if the needs of black players are to be properly addressed in the game.
He added: “There’s something like 500 players in the Premier League and a third of them are black and we have no representation of us in the hierarchy, no representation of us in the coaching staff.
“There’s not a lot of faces that we can relate to and have conversations with. And I do think, with these protests that are going on, it’s all well and good just talking.

“But it’s time that we need to, have conversations to be able to spark debates and not just debates, because we’ve done a lot of talking, to actually start implementing change.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/raheem-sterling-questions-white-ex-22159209

You can get a better explanation here
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52972621

This is not news to us in the UK.

The reality is that the English football league literally mirrors society more or less.

At university level children Of West African origin have a higher attainment level getting more first class degrees and other attainments than upper class white children as % of the population.

As they leave university that particular high progression completely does a complete U TURN. And from being at the top of the ladder they fall immediately to the bottom. Irrespective of your first class degree.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 7:23pm On Jun 09, 2020
komekn:

I didn't get the rest, man, but which Duncan Ferguson situation do you theme racist?
His quickfire substition of Moise Kean?

In short how is Everton racist?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 7:25pm On Jun 09, 2020
Will any Nigerian play for Barça before they elapse the presence and relevance of Messi?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 7:29pm On Jun 09, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
You're welcome but I'm afraid I had to go to the main site of CIES myself and found out the guys that reported the Africans in the Top 100 highest valued players in the CIES list missed out on a few details like Partey and Sarr.

So my dear namesake... Below is the actual and truest updated list of Highest valued African footballers in the CIES Football Observatory Top 100 players with highest transfer values across the Top 5 leagues.

Note: Value is in Euros, €.

1. Mohammed Salah (Egypt/Liverpool), FW - €144.9 million

2. Sadio Mane (Senegal/Liverpool), FW - €139.2 million.

3. Achraf Hakimi (Morocco/Dortmund), DF - €79.0 million.

4. Nicolas Pepe (CIV/Arsenal), FW - €73.1 million

5. Victor Osimhen (Nigeria/Lille), FW - €64.3 million

6. Ismaila Sarr (Senegal/Watford), FW - €62.0 million

7. Wilfred Ndidi (Nigeria/Leicester), MF - €49.5 million

8. Thomas Partey (Ghana/Atletico M.), MF - €48.5 million

So from the above list we can see that only 8 African internationals made the list of top 100. And we see that Ndidi is Africa's highest valued midfielder in transfer market terms according to CIES.

Ndidi's value will skyrocket, especially as Leicester will be in UCL football. I hope it takes a crazy hype turn.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 7:31pm On Jun 09, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
You're welcome but I'm afraid I had to go to the main site of CIES myself and found out the guys that reported the Africans in the Top 100 highest valued players in the CIES list missed out on a few details like Partey and Sarr.

So my dear namesake... Below is the actual and truest updated list of Highest valued African footballers in the CIES Football Observatory Top 100 players with highest transfer values across the Top 5 leagues.

Note: Value is in Euros, €.

1. Mohammed Salah (Egypt/Liverpool), FW - €144.9 million

2. Sadio Mane (Senegal/Liverpool), FW - €139.2 million.

3. Achraf Hakimi (Morocco/Dortmund), DF - €79.0 million.

4. Nicolas Pepe (CIV/Arsenal), FW - €73.1 million

5. Victor Osimhen (Nigeria/Lille), FW - €64.3 million

6. Ismaila Sarr (Senegal/Watford), FW - €62.0 million

7. Wilfred Ndidi (Nigeria/Leicester), MF - €49.5 million

8. Thomas Partey (Ghana/Atletico M.), MF - €48.5 million

So from the above list we can see that only 8 African internationals made the list of top 100. And we see that Ndidi is Africa's highest valued midfielder in transfer market terms according to CIES.

Another fun fact is before Qatar, all of the African top 10 will be plying their trades in the EPL. That says a lot.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:44pm On Jun 09, 2020
Philosopher1979:

This is why i dont rate the premier league. Beyond the top 6 it us full of teams without yechical ability who play long balls. It is kick and follow football. English players traditionally are syro g and fast without technical ability creativity or flair.
Historically it took wenger at arsenal to introduce technical football to the english. Cantona introduced play making strikers to them .guardiorla tiki taka and maurinho italian defensive tactics. When you rate english teams you make me feel like laughing. France holland and a few countries are the real factory talents. The premier league is good but overrated. After alk england doesnt do much in international football.
Mr. Komekn im sorry i dont see much in englush football. In fact the average brazillian league player is more technically gifted than a premier league player especially outside the top 6.

With regard to the bold I completely agree with you. The question does more technical mean better ❓ ❓ ❓

However, there are some things you should consider. There are clubs in the EPL that can field a team without a single English player or at best 1 or 2. It has happened.

The EPL us truly international with the highest representation of international players than any other league in the World.

In recent times that your assumption l highlighted in bold is changing VERY RAPIDLY.

The young English players are becoming technically advanced, proficient and skillful. Jadon Sancho is not a Brazilian but considered one of the best young players in the world. Look at Mason Mount, look at Karembou Dembele even Gilmore this is the new faces of English football.

The English game is evolving daily and so also is football the speed of the game means that unnecessary step overs and time waiting showboating are seriously frowned upon. And much more emphasis on end product.

When you look at even mid table teams in the EPL look at the% of International players in thier clubs and the idea of kick and rush is not as pronounced.

The EPL is different it merges physicality athleticism with technicality not all players cam thrive or even cope with this.

I remember how Musa was completely out of his depth in the EPL but thrived in the Russian league.

If the EPL was technically so poor and it's players. Then how can a player leave Manchester United youth team walk into Juventus first team and become the best Midfielder in the world. l mean Pogba.

Or how can Jadon Sancho leave Man city as a youth nobody and become arguably the best teenage player in the world. That's just too name a few.

So you are right to some degree but it's changing very rapidly which is even filtering down to the Championship.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 7:45pm On Jun 09, 2020
Philosopher1979:

England no sabi play ball ,I go always Dey talk am

Na foreigners make the league sweet las las
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:51pm On Jun 09, 2020
TheLoneCitizen:

I didn't get the rest, man, but which Duncan Ferguson situation do you theme racist?
His quickfire substition of Moise Kean?

In short how is Everton racist?

Unfortunately it's not everything you can talk about.

Buy if you know Yobo, Yakubu, Anichebe, Akpan, Plenary, Junior, etc, etc in more recent times ask any of them.

It's a club l know too well, it's like asking me to explain how l know Trump is racially prejudiced.

By association you know things.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 7:57pm On Jun 09, 2020
komekn:

Buy if you know Yobo, Yakubu, Anichebe, Akpan, Plenary, Junior, etc, etc in more recent times ask any of them.

It's a club l know too well, it's like asking me to explain how l know Trump is racially prejudiced.

Sir, these are strong allegations, if you have not one prove to back it them, then I'm sorry you are a traducer.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:58pm On Jun 09, 2020
andrewbaba44:

England no sabi play ball ,I go always Dey talk am

Na foreigners make the league sweet las las

I concur.

But things are changing VERY RAPIDLY the training regime particularly within the youths has. CHANGED DRAMATICALLY.

Look at these small boys who are claiming jersey from old established players. See how James Reece retired Azpeliceuta in one season.

Look at Maddison at Leicester are you going to say he is not technically proficient.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:00pm On Jun 09, 2020
TheLoneCitizen:

Sir, these are strong allegations, if you have not one prove to back it them, then I'm sorry you are a traducer.

It's not as bad as Burnley but l know what l am talking about.

It's quite obvious you have not been to Liverpool and understanding the scouser mentality and how it works in Everton.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 8:10pm On Jun 09, 2020
komekn:

Trump racially prejudiced??

You must be joking.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:19pm On Jun 09, 2020
komekn:

I concur.

But things are changing VERY RAPIDLY the training regime particularly within the youths has. CHANGED DRAMATICALLY.

Look at these small boys who are claiming jersey from old established players. See how James Reece retired Azpeliceuta in one season.

Look at Maddison at Leicester are you going to say he is not technically proficient.

James Reece retired azpilicueta the captain of Chelsea who has played 27 league games already

Please what are you saying sir

You should know Lampard do favour English boys but you totally got it wrong by saying reece retired Azpi

I Dey wonder if you Dey watch ball most times self
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 8:19pm On Jun 09, 2020
komekn:

It's not as bad as Burnley but l know what l am talking about.

It's quite obvious you have not been to Liverpool and understanding the scouser mentality and how it works in Everton.

Oh you stay in the UK, I didn't know, man. Probably Merseyside have racist elements, in fact I've heard of how intolerable the scouse are, but it's never right to stereotype on strong issues like this. The fact that that a lot of Nigerians are Internet fraudsters doesn't mean the whole population is.

I also have it on strong grounds that Everton FC aren't racist. According to one of the most reliable research in the uk, Everton are one of the 100 best place to work for 3 years running now. In fact they are the only football club on that list. They are also regarded as one the work places that make environment safe for their employees.

https://fcbusiness.co.uk/news/everton-fc-named-one-of-the-best-places-to-work/

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/everton-fc-named-one-best-17792163

Since you stay in the UK, is racism that rife there compared to The States?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Olulong(m): 8:37pm On Jun 09, 2020
komekn:

Eze will play for Nigeria.
you seem so sure??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:42pm On Jun 09, 2020
elunico:

You must be joking.

Everybody and their daddy knows Trump is racially prejudiced.

It is only Nigerian Christians that think otherwise, because the man is carrying Bible that he does not even believe in, up and down

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jun 09, 2020
Eizzy003:

This 1 really pain me, that is in the whole of England there is no black referee

FIFA nko
ever since ive been watching WC I've never seen a black refeeree in the center half of the pitch the only they do is just assistant referee
the next WC there should be equal race how can a white and a black country be playing and a white man will be officiating all the matches that very stupid and annoying
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 8:49pm On Jun 09, 2020
safarigirl:

It is only Nigerian Christians that think otherwise, because the man is carrying Bible that he does not even believe in, up and down

Lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:01pm On Jun 09, 2020
one of them don show face grin
elunico:

You must be joking.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:04pm On Jun 09, 2020
thank you my sister..
you don't need to listen to anybody on this matter. study his response to different issues. it says a lot. Anybody who has the capacity to think independently will agree

safarigirl:

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Herbiedeen(m): 9:08pm On Jun 09, 2020
they do get the nod for u-17 and u-20 world cup na

sheyishemba:

FIFA nko
ever since ive been watching WC I've never seen a black refeeree in the center half of the pitch the only they do is just assistant referee
the next WC there should be equal race how can a white and a black country be playing and a white man will be officiating all the matches that very stupid and annoying
Which African Ref can you recommend for the biggest games sef
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 9:08pm On Jun 09, 2020
Hmmmmm. Same as what is going on in Nigeria.
North vs South.

komekn:

This is not news to us in the UK.

The reality is that the English football league literally mirrors society more or less.

At university level children Of West African origin have a higher attainment level getting more first class degrees and other attainments than upper class white children as % of the population.

As they leave university that particular high progression completely does a complete U TURN. And from being at the top of the ladder they fall immediately to the bottom. Irrespective of your first class degree.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:09pm On Jun 09, 2020
I also must add quite a large number of evangelicals. It's quite an irony. But religious people will always be like that.. if you go back to Bible times. Study the pharisees who Jesus criticized more than any other, they share similar traits. They were even more religious than Jesus. grin
safarigirl:

(1) (2) (3) ... (8696) (8697) (8698) (8699) (8700) (8701) (8702) ... (16144) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ouzo1(m), ddone and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.