Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,990 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:15 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (8702) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11673958 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8699) (8700) (8701) (8702) (8703) (8704) (8705) ... (16152) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jun 10, 2020
Score Nigeria

Fan of Awoniyi’s German club complains of ‘too many black players’
Score Nigeria Editor by Score Nigeria Editor June 9, 2020 8:41 pm

A fan of Mainz 05, where Taiwo Awoniyi plays, has written a letter to the club to complain that there are just too many black players in the team.

The fan said he now gets the impression he is watching the Africa Cup and not the Bundesliga going by the number of black players on the starting XI.

“It has been several months now that I can no longer identify myself with this club, ” said the man whose identity was not revealed.

“I get the impression that I’m watching the Africa Cup instead of the Bundesliga. I know what you think, but no I’m not a racist like that. I would blame myself for that. But enough is enough.
If our starting line-up has had nine (!!!) black players in recent weeks while German talents get fewer and fewer chances, this is no longer the club of my heart. 

“At least those were players who stood for something and had a mentality. Those were players who gave their blood, sweat and tears to the club. ”

Mainz have swiftly responded, describing the fan’s thoughts as “unacceptable” and further said they will be happy for him to cancel his season ticket.

Awoniyi is on loan at Mainz from Liverpool, while Leon Balogun and Anthony Ujah previously featured for the club.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 12:16pm On Jun 10, 2020
cool the best game Mikel.ever played for super eagles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M17SGuhMglc

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 12:17pm On Jun 10, 2020
elunico:

The BLM movement is far loosing credibility, at least the discerning members of the public are dissociating themselves from their antics.

Black lives begin to matter when they're killed by a White man. They keep to their moms when it's a Black on Black kill as it happens in Chicago and New York on a daily basis.

Dave Dorn, David Underwood, Italia Kelly, Chris Beaty were other Black people killed during the protest, the BLM never thought it wise to honor them, but, for the criminal Floyd, they're bent on destroying their cities.

Fact is, unarmed Whites have died in the hands of police officers in the US than unarmed Blacks, guess it's normal.

However, Jeff Bezos has the right as an individual to support the movement in spite of a disgruntled customer, so do you, but people like me would always present our reasons for not joining in on the party even though we may come out too strongly at times
Stop talking about things you know nothing about.

I'm not a big BLM fan but those guys made it clear the reason why it came into existence - to fight police brutality against black people.
NRA is a civil rights group. Have you asked them why they don't protest injustices and focus only on gun rights? Have you asked them why they didn't protest philando castle's death(since they are a pro 2A group).

Now if I ask if you know about how many "Stop The Violence" events that's taken place compared to BLM rallies this year - you won't be able to tell me because it doesn't suit the Fox News narrative that "black people only care when they are killed by white people and not by fellow blacks".
If I ask you to show where BLM members said they only care when white people kill black folks - you won't be able to provide it too.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jun 10, 2020
Herbiedeen:
they do get the nod for u-17 and u-20 world cup na

so ya telling africa countries only participate in U-17 and U-20 WC what about the world cup proper

Which African Ref can you recommend for the biggest games sef

i can recommend more than 6 for you that are all doing well
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jun 10, 2020
jihday:
huh!! You've never seen an African officiate a WC game??

Read what I wrote I again i never said such all I said I said they are not given opportunity compare to the white folks that all
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 12:29pm On Jun 10, 2020
elunico:

Where's Gassamma from? Pakistan? Even though I agree that African refs be offered more spots, I still had to correct your assertion.

Racism would never leave us, that's a fact. The Europeans invented football and they think it belongs to them solely. I wish we could invent a sport of ours and leave them to die with their football and the other sports they've invented.

I wish we all can one day just retire to the semblance of our caves, living realities peculiar to us.

But seriously why do you find it hard to read and comprehend (swears it sucks ) when a black for his right everyone sees him as a racist ,satan and even anti Christ what you wrote depict you as a white ass licker that just the truth
okay fine the white folks invented football yh thats true so are you telling me it only the white that plays football they best football in the history of the world Is a black man ( Pele) me asking for equal opportunity of referree in a tournament where the black and white folks both participate I guess that not a crime ...
you don't expect a white man to officiating a match between a white and black country that Wont be at least prejudices for it own.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 12:32pm On Jun 10, 2020
Joebie:
I also must add quite a large number of evangelicals. It's quite an irony. But religious people will always be like that.. if you go back to Bible times. Study the pharisees who Jesus criticized more than any other, they share similar traits. They were even more religious than Jesus. grin
grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:32pm On Jun 10, 2020
Danielnino00:

So basically,we are still in the slave trade era where black people are allowed to do the hard work while the top level jobs are reserved for the whites..

Like in English football where we have a lot of black players but no black coaches and no black referees...

Essential YES.

There are times l have chaired a meeting and some people come in see me and say " Very sorry wrong venue " Believing they are in the wrong place because a black man is sitting at the head of the table.

What you also find is that you are always OYO yoi have no alliances or clicks when it comes to boardroom politics.

You can not trust anybody , so all your conversations and or directives should not be verbal. At all times you must email and create a communication trail.

Otherwise what you will hear is " l am sorry, l don't recall that directive " Which simply implies you are a liar.

You are almost always playing chess 2 /3 moves ahead at all times.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by waffiboi: 12:34pm On Jun 10, 2020
elyte89:
cool the best game Mikel.ever played for super eagles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M17SGuhMglc

No Mikel's best game was against Mali in AFCON 2013 against Mali
He's second best game was against Ivory Coast in AFCON 2013.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:50pm On Jun 10, 2020
komekn:

It's actually gaining more momentum.

There current proposed legislation address police racism and discrimination in Congress being debate as we speak.

You have multiple state legislators carrying out reassessment on thier police departments and making recommendations.

You have way too many city Mayors looking at thier police departments and already with immediate effect outlawing certain police practices. How many police have been sacked.

I watched the Cuomo governor of New York state lambast Trump as well as several of his own Republican members.

The celebrated monuments of racism from the former confederate states are being pulled down across the USA.

The "BLM" is causing huge ripples across Europe and a change government are on edge for fear of riots in Europe. It's causing CHANGE and it's going global and you say it's lost credibility.

There is a paradigm shift in the USA and all you cam come up with is "BLM" has lost credibility. Only a racist narrow minded bigoted ignorant red necked and possibly klu klux Klan member could have such a view.

I dont know what bubble you are living in, you need to burst it. Wake up and open your eyes.

There are some opinions that should wholly be disregarded, and hat post is one of them.

We are seeing legislative changes, Minneapolis has chosen to disengage their police department, more people are voting, people who have never voted in their lives; Snoop Dogg, Offset, are going out to vote for the first time, and someone says the protests aren't fruitful.

You should just laugh and ignore such a person. He is living in lala land
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 1:42pm On Jun 10, 2020
waffiboi:

No Mikel's best game was against Mali in AFCON 2013 against Mali
He's second best game was against Ivory Coast in AFCON 2013.

Due to opposition strength.. I will pick dt game against Spain...it was MIKELS EFFORT and d few oda squad members on dt pitch Showed d world dt day dt SPAIN ARE NOT INVINCIBLE.. DEY WERE VERY BEATABLE,if not for our wasteful strikers missing glaring chances Mikel created couple with Mikels miss..we could av drawn d game @ least...I am sure it was dis game DT gave Brazil little hint dt spain can be destroyed..prior to dt game Spain only lost one game in SA 2010,from 2008-2013(dey lost only one game)..dey were favorite

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 2:03pm On Jun 10, 2020
elyte89:

Due to opposition strength.. I will pick dt game against Spain...it was MIKELS EFFORT and d few oda squad members on dt pitch Showed d world dt day dt SPAIN ARE NOT INVINCIBLE.. DEY WERE VERY BEATABLE,if not for our wasteful strikers missing glaring chances Mikel created couple with Mikels miss..we could av drawn d game @ least...I am sure it was dis game DT gave Brazil little hint dt spain can be destroyed..prior to dt game Spain only lost one game in SA 2010,from 2008-2013(dey lost only one game)..dey were favorite
I think we lost that game because we were awful defensively, the goals they scored made it look like our boys didn't do any form of defensive training

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:14pm On Jun 10, 2020
Blacks killed by cops has a dated history that is rooted on racism. Blacks killed by blacks has a different underlying reason. Just because blacks kill blacks does not justify blacks killed due to racism. You seem not to have any idea about the drug industry. do your research and your eyes will be open.

And at the italicized can you back it up with credible sources and not conspiracy theory videos, because I have credible sources loaded for you that supports the contrary. Now prove your 'fact'.

elunico:

The BLM movement is far loosing credibility, at least the discerning members of the public are dissociating themselves from their antics.

Black lives begin to matter when they're killed by a White man. They keep to their moms when it's a Black on Black kill as it happens in Chicago and New York on a daily basis.

Dave Dorn, David Underwood, Italia Kelly, Chris Beaty were other Black people killed during the protest, the BLM never thought it wise to honor them, but, for the criminal Floyd, they're bent on destroying their cities.

[s]Fact is, unarmed Whites have died in the hands of police officers in the US than unarmed Blacks, guess it's normal. [/s]

However, Jeff Bezos has the right as an individual to support the movement in spite of a disgruntled customer, so do you, but people like me would always present our reasons for not joining in on the party even though we may come out too strongly at times

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:23pm On Jun 10, 2020
There are 3 types of people. Those who are bad and in your face about it. Those who are bad and pretentious, and those who are do not belong to the two aforementioned categories. You cannot lie to my face again and again, and call people names here and there just because they disagree with your position. Refuse to acknowledge glaring facts, resort to countless childish tweetings and then I should like you for that, just because a bunch of others are pretentious? Where is your sanity?

elunico:

That's what we love about him, he ain't no hypocrite, he let you know exactly how it is, he doesn't care if you're salted or not. These are the characteristics lacking in males over there in the West. They've become so spineless over there. Nonsense!!

I don't like you, I let you know. What's the use smiling in front of me then wait for me to turn my back so you could stab it?

You'd rather prefer a Buhari that promises to "pyt kwarrapsion" and what do we get? Orji Uzor Kalu, after serving just 5 months of his 12 year prison sentence for corruption, then heads straight to resume his duties as senator.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:39pm On Jun 10, 2020
Kome.. I saw many lies, but I decided to skip them. The problem with people that subscribe to conspiracy theory videos is that they present one truth to them and then they embrace every other lies tied to that truth. it's a waste of time arguing with conspiracy theorists and their followers lol
Even if you put the facts in front of their face they wouldn't see it. They are already blinded. dude don't even know what's going on.
komekn:

It's actually gaining more momentum.

There current proposed legislation address police racism and discrimination in Congress being debate as we speak.

You have multiple state legislators carrying out reassessment on thier police departments and making recommendations.

You have way too many city Mayors looking at thier police departments and already with immediate effect outlawing certain police practices. How many police have been sacked.

I watched the Cuomo governor of New York state lambast Trump as well as several of his own Republican members.

The celebrated monuments of racism from the former confederate states are being pulled down across the USA.

The "BLM" is causing huge ripples across Europe and a change government are on edge for fear of riots in Europe. It's causing CHANGE and it's going global and you say it's lost credibility.

There is a paradigm shift in the USA and all you cam come up with is "BLM" has lost credibility. Only a racist narrow minded bigoted ignorant red necked and possibly klu klux Klan member could have such a view.

I dont know what bubble you are living in, you need to burst it. Wake up and open your eyes.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:40pm On Jun 10, 2020
He will ask you if you watched it in CNN grin.

May I add? I see myself as an Independent. Will I vote this time? certainly yes. Never did before. I don't care about Biden. But that Buffon's antics have to stop. we need some sanity.

safarigirl:

There are some opinions that should wholly be disregarded, and hat post is one of them.

We are seeing legislative changes, Minneapolis has chosen to disengage their police department, more people are voting, people who have never voted in their lives; Snoop Dogg, Offset, are going out to vote for the first time, and someone says the protests aren't fruitful.

You should just laugh and ignore such a person. He is living in lala land
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:28pm On Jun 10, 2020
John Obi Mikel talks potential Egypt move, admits wrong Salah judgment
by Michel Jreissati
June 9, 2020

Photo by TF-Images/Getty Images

Former Nigeria midfielder John Obi Mikel says that he does not rule out playing in Egypt and that he was not expecting what Mohamed Salah has reached.

The 33-year-old is known for his spell at English side Chelsea, where he spent 11 years (2006-2017) and 91 caps for his national team. Mikel met the Egyptian King at the London club when he joined them in 2014.

However, Salah was not performing for the Blues and did not get a lot of playing time. He earned himself loan moves to Fiorentina and Roma before moving permanently to the Italian capital.

Following fruitful campaigns in Italy, he moved to Liverpool where he most notably collected two golden boots, a Champions League trophy, and a Club World Cup title.

When the Nigeria international was asked about a potential move to the Egyptian league, Mikel told ON Sports: “I never ruled anything out.”

On his aspirations, he added: “My goal is to continue playing football, and I hope I will have the opportunity, I do not reject any offers made to me, but rather study them well until I make the right decision.”

The midfielder went on to talk about former teammate Salah, saying: “When Salah came to Chelsea, he was a young boy, but he had a nice personality and everyone loved him, he was very disciplined.

“We were close friends, talking a lot and joking a lot, he was a good friend.”

“I believed in his development, but frankly I did not imagine that he would reach the quality that he has now,” he added.

The Nigerian left his club, Turkish side Trabzonspor in protest against the continuation of league football despite the rise of the COVID-19 pandemic.

--kingfut

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:36pm On Jun 10, 2020
LIVERPOOL
Report: Taiwo Awoniyi’s future at Liverpool in limbo amid work permit issues
By Mathew Nash
Published on June 10, 2020

AUGSBURG, GERMANY – DECEMBER 07: (Photo by TF-Images/Getty Images)

Talented Liverpool-owned striker Taiwo Awoniyi will be left having to wait to find out his fate for next season, as current club Mainz have put their transfer plans on ice for next season.

That is according to the club’s head coach Achim Beierlorzer in conversation with Kicker and a report from the Liverpool Echo.

The Mainz boss stated that the Nigerian is happy at Liverpool but that no talks regarding a long-term stay would take place until the season is finished.

“Taiwo said in January that he didn’t want to move again, he feels comfortable and understood with us.

“After that, he just kept working on himself.

“Before we have reached our goal of avoiding relegation, for which we still need to collect points, there are no discussions.”

The Echo has now reported that any potential loan or permanent deal next season has been ‘placed on the backburner’ as Awonityi’s future continues to look in limbo.

As the Echo reports, Awoniyi’s time at Liverpool has been greatly impacted by work permit issues.

Liverpool signed the talented Nigerian in the summer of 2015. As reported by The Guardian, Liverpool paid £400,000 for the player, the money going to Swedish side Kalmar, who had the right of first-option on the player if he was to leave the Imperial Academy in Nigeria, as reported by Pulse.

But work permit issues saw Awoniyi loaned out to FSV Frankfurt and NEC Nijmegen in his first two seasons as a Liverpool player, both of which ended in relegation.

He ended up becoming a serious goal-threat Royal Excelsior Mouscron in two spells, either side of a poor stint with KAA Gent last season.

That form saw him earn a move to Bundesliga side Mainz, where he has scored just once in 11 appearances. However, Jurgen Klopp is believed to be a fan of the player. As Awonoyi told Sporting Life, Klopp called him an ‘amazing talent’ and told him to settle at Mainz for a potential long loan spell before a work permit could be obtained.

Last summer, Liverpool reportedly (Echo) valued the player at £10 million after his good form with Mouscron but that has likely dropped amid the current global health crisis.

With Awoniyi still waiting for a senior Nigerian call-up, any work permit application will likely fall on deaf ears this summer.

With that in mind, Liverpool might look to sell the talented frontman this summer and use the money to help strengthen the first-team squad. Any sale would undoubtedly contain a buy-back clause, considering his talent.

However, right now, it would appear that Mainz are not in a position to start discussing a long-term plan for the 22-year-old. Awoniyi will have to wait and, for now, concentrate on helping Mainz avoid relegation from the Bundesliga.

--tbrFootball

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:38pm On Jun 10, 2020
KF Tirana, coached by ex-Nigeria international goalkeeper Ndubuisi Egbo, are close to winning the Albanian Superliga title and qualifying for next season’s UEFA Champions League (qualifying phase).
With eight games to the end of the season, KF Tirana have accumulated 59 points, nine more than second-placed Kukesi, meaning they need sixteen more points to win the league, assuming their closest challengers do not drop points in their remaining fixtures.
KF Tirana higher-ups dismissed the former head coach following a poor run of results and appointed Egbo, the then goalkeeper coach, to take over the reins in December and the Nigerian has performed miracles, with the team winning an incredible fifteen matches from a possible sixteen in all competitions.
--sports247

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:44pm On Jun 10, 2020
Assessing Shuaibu Amodu's Super Eagles legacy
Solace Chukwu | Correspondent
Last updated 2 hours ago

Amodu ShaibuGetty Images

The former Nigeria coach was one of the finest the country ever produced, but despite being reliable and available, he never got his due in life
There have been few coaches as deeply entwined with the Nigeria national team as Shuaibu Amodu.

Over the course of three separate spells (and a half, if one is inclined to include an interim brief in 2015), the former BCC Lions and Orlando Pirates boss became the quintessential midwife; like the Biblical Moses – delivering but never quite establishing, seeing but prevented from grasping.

The lede here is obviously the fact that, while on two occasions in the 2000s Amodu qualified Nigeria for the World Cup, he never actually led the Super Eagles to the Mundial. However, even his first stint in charge – between 1995 and 1997 – was ended in a fashion that seemed to presage what would follow: a falling out with erstwhile Sports minister Jim Nwobodo saw him replaced after two matches of the 1998 World Cup qualifying series.

That two-year tenure also kicked off a theme that defined his association with the national team, coming as it did with Nigeria in limbo internationally, unable to compete at the Africa Cup of Nations in 1996 and therefore an unattractive proposition to prospective coaches. Always on hand, ever willing to step into the breach, Amodu was, depending on who you ask, either the biggest patriot of all or the ultimate spare tire.

It was not always that way. Before stepping up to the national team, a suave Amodu made waves on home soil, winning the FA Cup five times with two clubs: BCC Lions and El Kanemi Warriors, as well as the Caf Cup Winners Cup (with the former club) in 1990. Therefore, when Clemens Westerhof stepped down from the role following the 1994 World Cup, he was a logical choice to replace the Dutchman at the helm of the national team.

Though replaced in 1997 by Frenchman Philippe Troussier, following a brief spell in South Africa with Orlando Pirates (whom he guided to the Cup final), he returned to the national team as an assistant to Jo Bonfrere in late 1999.

When the Dutchman was relieved with Nigeria in a perilous position in 2002 World Cup qualifying, Amodu stepped up to the role, instituting new discipline and masterminding three wins from three to see the Super Eagles through to the Mundial.

Perhaps carrying some wariness still from his first spell in charge, as well as the manner in which his predecessor Troussier had been dispensed with after qualifying for the World Cup in 1998, Amodu evinced paranoia when, in August 2001, he demanded clarity from the Nigeria Football Association (NFA) regarding his contract.

“People have asked me why I am bothered, but my experience in and out of the national team for seven years now has taught me to do things properly.

"The brief we were given was for us to qualify for the Nations Cup and the World Cup. There is now need for the authorities to come out clearly and let us know what's next. Until that is ironed out, anything can happen because this is Nigeria.”

His wariness would prove remarkably prescient.

Nigeria's preparation for the Africa Cup of Nations in Mali was typically troubled: a number of tune-up matches were scheduled and canceled, and Amodu was deeply dissatisfied with the physical conditioning of some of the players. Ahead of a preparatory friendly against Ivory Coast in Bouake, he had submitted an initial list to the FA, but being uncertain as to the fitness of certain individuals, he made it clear that list was only a placeholder.

“I had given a tentative list before, but I warned 'Please, don't register that list so that when I play that game (vs Ivory Coast), I could make alterations even if we would have to pay a fine (to Caf for late submission). In an attempt to dodge paying a fine, they registered the list anyway,” Amodu explained in a National Assembly debrief.

Nigeria would reach the semi-finals in Mali, losing to Senegal. The consensus though, despite a third-place finish, was that the team's performances had been disappointing and so Amodu's place came under threat.

His decision to side with the players in a row with the Sports Minister Ishaya Mark Aku over air ticket refunds ultimately sealed his fate. He was dismissed, the team disbanded and Fifa technical instructor Adegboye Onigbinde was drafted in just three months to the World Cup.

In spite of the disappointment, Amodu had no regrets. “I did not expect to be judged on the Nations Cup, but Nigeria is not an easy place to work in,” he said.

He also threw down the gauntlet to the incoming Onigbinde, expressing scepticism with the idea he would be able to revamp the squad in any significant way.

He was proven right: of the 23-man 2002 World Cup squad, only five were players who had never been involved before under Amodu, and only one of that number – Vincent Enyeama – was part of the Nigeria squad to the 2004 and/or 2006 Africa Nations Cups.

Even worse, there was no upgrade in terms of technical input or training methodology. “Truth is that Amodu and his team of coaches who took us to the Nations Cup were better than Onigbinde's group,” Joseph Yobo acknowledged afterwards.

In 2008, following Berti Vogts' expensive and short-lived spell in charge of the Super Eagles, Amodu was once more appointed to lead the team ahead of Samson Siasia and Stephen Keshi. While he had spent much of the intervening period with Port Harcourt club Sharks, guiding them to promotion from the second-tier as well as an FA Cup Final, a return to the national team in a dark moment, however, offered him a chance at some redemption.

Amid widespread pessimism, he again delivered a ticket to the World Cup, a come-from-behind 3-2 win over Kenya in Nairobi enough to edge out Tunisia at the last and book a place in South Africa.

Once more, performance at the Afcon would prove a sticking point. Despite another third-place finish, Amodu was relieved, again for the perceived dour nature of the play, and with only three months to go before the commencement of the 2010 World Cup.

For all that his teams were never able to sustain the spirit of attacking that Nigeria has come to be enamoured with, it is interesting that the decisions to sack him were never borne out by what came after. That has, looking back, lent him an almost saintly air, especially in light of the apparent injustice of those decisions.

There are also few who have a stronger body of work with the national team.

Keshi, Westerhof and Otto Gloria, certainly. Outside of these three, Amodu stands alone—few nursed the Super Eagles through as many scrapes as he did, and no one did it with as much patience and humility.

That is how he deserves to be remembered.

--goal

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 3:49pm On Jun 10, 2020
Tamunotonye22:

When you say marginalized what do you mean exactly? that man is voicing out what a lot of black players are dreaming of and to add it up, he's one of their finest players

You think English teams regard black players? Check out how they treated their black ex internationals like Sol Campbell, Ashley Cole, Andy Cole etc compared to their white counterparts like David Beckham, Wayne Rooney who are still remembered and adored by their press and FA. Raheem Sterling will keep dreaming of black relevance in England till grey hair grows on his head. I'm not angry that he is voicing out his frustration but because it is now his eyes has opened

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 3:55pm On Jun 10, 2020
BascoVanVeli:

Football was invented in China

Yeah, true that!!

But the Brits took it up and transitioned it to a sport that every continent have chosen to adopt.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 4:05pm On Jun 10, 2020
AndSunGorilla:

Uncle are you saying George Floyd's manner of death is justified because he's an ex convict? No man deserves to die that way by people who represent the authorities irrespective of their race. You are free to support whomever you like but don't belittle something that heinous.

it was wrong of the police man to use excessive force on the man, yes. I had a video of a white man who was killed in the same manner and the police officers were making jokes about it. The police need some kind of training on tackling these kinda situation, I agree. But, I'm not just buying the racism crap.

I wished that woman he robbed at gunpoint had a gun of hers and blew his head off. That was the death he deserved, now the a$shole Chauvin has caused the criminal to be canonized. Our young boys should learn from his lifestyle.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 4:09pm On Jun 10, 2020
BascoVanVeli:

White man worshiper. Smh

I've been called worse, so this doesn't mean a thing to me. grin grin Where were you when I was defending Odegbami's preference for local coaches?

I feel more comfortable in presence of some of my white friends than I'd ever be with the blacks out there. Mind you, I don't associate with them whites that are dumb.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 4:18pm On Jun 10, 2020
Subzero047:

Jeez why would you say that

If that same group aren't bothered by the senseless killing going on in their backyards because blacks are doing it to themselves only to show face whenever the culprit is white, I can't and won't take them seriously.

I see them as a group who are just existing to latch on any opportunity to cry victims, only then would they achieve any relevance. Nonsense!!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by rabzy: 4:39pm On Jun 10, 2020
elunico:

Racism is not politics? Come on, you're not naive. I've been called all sort of names because of my siding with Trump, this has been from people of my color, Uncle Tom, sell-out, white nigga, Black white a$$, and all the sorts. Those stupid mofos are either making fun of my complexion, my facial features, my traditional dressing, in fact, I rile them up by using my Nigerian accent around them.

The left and right ideologies affects more than you can imagine even here in Nigeria, go figure.

Don't use the same tactics here..you are not going to rule anyone up here with traditional dressing or accent..so don't use the same way you argue with whoever there with us...who are mostly based in Nigeria and not on either side of their political devide

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:41pm On Jun 10, 2020
Even here it does not work that way. Just because you are not left-leaning don't mean you are right-leaning. And vice versa.
rabzy:

Don't use the same tactics here..you are not going to rule anyone up here with traditional dressing or accent..so don't use the same way you argue with whoever there with us...who are mostly based in Nigeria and not on either side of their political devide
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 4:46pm On Jun 10, 2020
elunico:

it was wrong of the police man to use excessive force on the man, yes. I had a video of a white man who was killed in the same manner and the police officers were making jokes about it. The police need some kind of training on tackling these kinda situation, I agree. But, I'm not just buying the racism crap.

I wished that woman he robbed at gunpoint had a gun of hers and blew his head off. That was the death he deserved, now the a$shole Chauvin has caused the criminal to be canonized. Our young boys should learn from his lifestyle.

It would have been explainable if the woman he robbed killed him, but you justifying his death, in the hands of a crooked cop, with MULTIPLE cases of discrimination-related shootings under his belt, makes you look both insensitive and specifically, foolish, as a nigger that you are.

And know this, that no matter how much you lick Trump's red yansh and kiss the muddy boot of your favorite KKK-associate police officer, you will ALWAYS be a STUPID MONKEY NIGGER to these people, and you will never be regarded as any better than that criminal George Floyd.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by rabzy: 4:48pm On Jun 10, 2020
elunico:

Fact is, unarmed Whites have died in the hands of police officers in the US than unarmed Blacks, guess it's normal.

Everything is context nobody is protesting the death of blacks from cops during an armed robbery or a shootout...this protest is about killing of blacks in situations where it shouldn't have led to their deaths at all...you call George a criminal..even so he deserves his day in court..not to be strangled on the street. Show us these killings of whites by cops in similar circumstances and at the same rate...then you would have a point..but just saying cops kill whites won't cut it...take into cognizance..the population ratio of whites and blacks and the circumstances of death.
BLM is just a slogan..a forceful message..there has been similar protests in US for decades..long before BLM became a maxim..and without BLM the protests will still exist and continue as long as these killings continue

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 5:01pm On Jun 10, 2020
Are we about to have the Diamond Generation?

Im glad we aren't even at the rear of this team building process. Rohr dey use better cement. When the pillars solidify, its gonna be hard for anyone that wasnt there cos these guys im seeing are really going to be hard to sideline in coming years, provided lifestyle and injuries dont change the narrative.

See
The following teams. They have 2 or 3 WC in between them all.

Nigeria
Norway
Argentina
Portugal

Which will/may win the WC this decade.

If all were in 1 group. Rank how the group will end after 3 games. This current set.

Which will stay longer and win more laurels, teamwise, individuals?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 5:01pm On Jun 10, 2020
Joebie:
He will ask you if you watched it in CNN grin.

May I add? I see myself as an Independent. Will I vote this time? certainly yes. Never did before. I don't care about Biden. But that Buffon's antics have to stop. we need some sanity.

who dey even watch CNN these days? When news and reports stream in live from those on the streets.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8699) (8700) (8701) (8702) (8703) (8704) (8705) ... (16152) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: bennie1980(m), Napoleon55(m) and 15 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.