Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,363 members, 7,853,625 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 08:18 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (9118) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11886833 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9115) (9116) (9117) (9118) (9119) (9120) (9121) ... (16261) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IDENNAA(m): 6:43pm On Jul 31, 2020
ChrisKels:

Picking a poor Etebo ahead of a better Eze while both were in the Championship was one of the reasons I wanted Rohr sacked, and that was the major reason England had the chance to give Eze a call up to their U20s to put us in this situation.

I really like Etebo but I think his case is that of a utility player that has find it very difficult to master and hold down one position, where he could excel. This may not be unconnected with the inability of the coaches to take time and understand his skill package and work along that line to nurture him.

At Warri Wolves , Karo started of as a right side wing-midfielder with an eye for scoring breathtaking goals and set pieces. Then he joined super eagles and Rohr tried on many occasions to build him into a CM , a DM and AM but on every instance he seem to never nail that particular position he could call his naturals spot. Full of runs, strength and tackles with some flair of skills , but never enough to be declared a natural midfielder. He holds on to the ball a little too long, loses possession and doesnt really have that vision of a Nwakali....yes, go and die. I said Nwakali! So, which way forward for the workaholic winger-cum midfielder ?

In my candid opinion ,Oghenekaro is at best a good example of a purely talented Nigerian street footballer whom our local coaches sacrificed growth for results and literally ruined his career by failing to invest in the boy's development. He was hatched too early, hence , his,crude nature. On many occasions , I have witnessed how budding talents are snatched off the streets without properly grooming them into a top quality talent and are instantly thrust into the poorly managed and fantastically corrupt NPFL, where they go and lost the little God given talent they had.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 6:43pm On Jul 31, 2020
Fotomac and Aksam Spor are reporting that Besiktas have reached a 2M agreement to sign 24yr old Chuba Akpom.

Also Fenerbahce's offer for Samuel Kalu has become clearer, they want a loan deal with an option to buy.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:44pm On Jul 31, 2020
TheLoneCitizen:

Manu Lonjon reporting that Leeds and Inter Milan are in negotiations with Emmanuel Dennis.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ManuLonjon/status/1289212902679777281?p=v

More update: Inter Milan are clear favourites, it is not clear how much they are willing to pay since Brugge are asking for 20-25M

Another big move is imminent.
Dennis to inter Milan to replace who? Make una no make me laugh abeg.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 6:46pm On Jul 31, 2020
TheLoneCitizen:

Manu Lonjon reporting that Leeds and Inter Milan are in negotiations with Emmanuel Dennis.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ManuLonjon/status/1289212902679777281?p=v

More update: Inter Milan are clear favourites, it is not clear how much they are willing to pay since Brugge are asking for 20-25M

Another big move is imminent.
I prefer inter
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 6:46pm On Jul 31, 2020
Olulong:

France football and BBC is saying it's African record transfer. We'll know the exact fee as time goes on
[q
Edopesin:

60mil +
uote author=ChrisKels post=92309657]

Danny my man, be like you go chop some pies here oo. Maybe meatpie, fishpie or... grin[/quote]

I'm seeing €50m plus ad ons on goal.com

No official details of the transfer fee has been posted yet..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 6:46pm On Jul 31, 2020
Truidstar:

Do you know who is ManuLonjon?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 6:48pm On Jul 31, 2020
Danielnino00:

I'm seeing €50m plus ad ons on goal.com

No official details of the transfer fee has been posted yet..

Lol OK na here all of us dey
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 6:48pm On Jul 31, 2020

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jul 31, 2020
IDENNAA:

I really like Etebo but I think his case is that of a utility player that has find it very difficult to master and hold down one position, where he could excel. This may not be unconnected with the inability of the coaches to take time and understand his skill package and work along that line to nurture him.

At Warri Wolves , Karo started of as a right side wing-midfielder with an eye for scoring breathtaking goals and set pieces. Then he joined super eagles and Rohr tried on many occasions to build him into a CM , a DM and AM but on every instance he seem to never nail that particular position he could call his naturals spot. Full of runs, strength and tackles with some flair of skills , but never enough to be declared a natural midfielder. He holds on to the ball a little too long, loses possession and doesnt really have that vision of a Nwakali....yes, go and die. I said Nwakali! So, which way forward for the workaholic winger-cum midfielder ?

In my candid opinion ,Oghenekaro is at best a good example of a purely talented Nigerian street footballer whom our local coaches sacrificed growth for results and literally ruined his career by failing to invest in the boy's development. He was hatched too early, hence , his,crude nature. On many occasions , I have witnessed how budding talents are snatched off the streets without properly grooming them into a top quality talent and are instantly thrust into the poorly managed and fantastically corrupt NPFL, where they go and lost the little God given talent they had.
Sir, you make very intelligent openings and coherent arguments....but your Nwakali position has me baffeled. Nwakali's mate just signed for Napoli, Chukwueze is been linked to Valencia....Do we have to keep on encouraging mediocrity all in the name of sentiments and past glory?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:54pm On Jul 31, 2020
What are you guys even saying? 50M? 60M+? 45??

Hahahahahaha... Aurelio De Laurentiis has confirmed the fee!!! A little over 80M€ in transfer money and the whole operation costing over 100M€ when you add Osimhen's salary for the five years deal.

ADL just confirmed this to Skysports Italia not so long ago.

I will drop his words soonest.

But know this... Osimhen is officially Africa's most expensive signing of all time!!!

Let that sink in!!! cool

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 6:54pm On Jul 31, 2020
ChrisKels:

Lol OK na here all of us dey

It won't matter anyway...

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 6:55pm On Jul 31, 2020
Truidstar:
let wait and see
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 6:55pm On Jul 31, 2020
Truidstar:

Just checking that sqaud, they have no natural winger except Sanchez; and Conte used 3-5-2 a lot.

Dennis can play on both wings. Conte might use the 3-4-3 he used at Chelsea.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 6:57pm On Jul 31, 2020
soetanoreoluwa:

Okay...

He trains with Fulham kids though.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:59pm On Jul 31, 2020
Ignore that erroneous list.

These are ADL's words to Skysports italia as translated:

“We had been following Osimhen for some time.." -begins the number one of the Italian club. "Both Gattuso and Giuntoli wanted it, and they convinced me to make this 70 million euro sacrifice . With the bonuses it will reach eighty million, and if we consider the salary that he will receive over the years it will exceed abundantly the 100 million ".

ADL just gave the press the rounded up figures...

The ever authoritative L'equipe gave the detailed figures as 71.2M€ + 10.1M€ guaranteed bonuses. That's a whole 81.3M€ transfer package Confirmed! Minus his salary ooo... His salary package brings everything to "well over" 100M€

Danielnino00:

It won't matter anyway...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jul 31, 2020
TheLoneCitizen:

Just checking that sqaud, they have no natural winger except Sanchez; and Conte used 3-5-2 a lot.

Dennis can play on both wings. Conte might use the 3-4-3 he used at Chelsea.
I am an ex Chelsea thru and thru...Dennis does not fit the profile of a typical conte player. I repeat it again Inter is a pipe dream.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 6:59pm On Jul 31, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
What are you guys even saying? 50M? 60M+? 45??

Hahahahahaha... Aurelio De Laurentiis has confirmed the fee!!! A little over 80M€ in transfer money and the whole operation costing over 100M€ when you add Osimhen's salary for the five years deal.

ADL just confirmed this to Skysports Italia not so long ago.

I will drop his words soonest.

But know this... Osimhen is officially Africa's most expensive signing of all time!!!

Let that sink in!!! cool

Sky Sports say they signed him for free.

1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:00pm On Jul 31, 2020
maidaboi:
let wait and see
We dey here bro.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jul 31, 2020
ChrisKels:

Do you know who is ManuLonjon?

Pls enlighten me.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 7:02pm On Jul 31, 2020
wayodude:

He trains with Fulham kids though.

Ooh yes got it confused. Hope he's doing fine. My regards
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:02pm On Jul 31, 2020
Over 80M€ transfer money is certainly not free.

And I quote Skysports Italia sources as reported by Di Marzio and others. So quit being cheeky with words. wink

TheLoneCitizen:

Sky Sports say they signed him for free.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:04pm On Jul 31, 2020
Azubuike Okechukwu, Frank Onyeka headline Nigerian successes in European football
Colin Udoh | Special to ESPN | 9 hours ago

What will rank as the most turbulent football season in recent memory has come to an end, after leagues across the world -- like other sporting competitions -- were forced to go on self-imposed breaks to combat the spread of COVID-19.

By the time the smoke had settled, some leagues had been cancelled, others had been ended prematurely, and a few resumed to conclude their campaigns.

At the end of it all, Nigerian players had made their mark -- some with cause for ecstasy, others wondering what had gone so badly wrong.

ESPN assess the principal Nigerian winners and losers from the season gone by.

Nigerians Celebrating
There were no Nigerian title winners in the Big Five major European leagues, but several annexed gongs elsewhere.

Coach Ndubuisi Egbo overcame discrimination to make history as the first African to coach a European team to a league title.

Who is to say he won't complete a double when his KF Tirana team take on Teuta in the Albanian Cup Final on Aug. 2

From history-making coach to history-making player.

Turkey is as close as it comes to the Big Five leagues, and Azubuike Okechukwu was there to help Istanbul Basaksehir make history as the outsider club emerged from the shadow of its giant cross-city rivals to claim its first Turkish Super Lig title. The Nigeria Olympic team captain has flown under the radar since the 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro, and perhaps this win could be what tickles Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr to look his way when international football returns.

Rabiu Ibrahim is another forgotten man of the Super Eagles, but perhaps for not much longer after he and Nigerian compatriot Ezekiel Henty helped Slovan Bratislava claim the Slovakian league title. He needs now to show more consistency if he is to at least knock on the for of the stacked Super Eagles midfield room.

That task will be made even harder by the emergence of Frank Onyeka, the rave of the Danish Superliga in his third season as he helped FC Midtjylland claim another title.

Onyeka, 22, not only finished the campaign as a title winner, but he was voted the club's Player of the Season. And deservedly so. Playing in central midfield, Onyeka dominated the central areas for the club, and his outstanding displays did not go unnoticed in the Danish media, which speculated that it would be a surprise if he remained at FC Midtjylland next season to help the team in UEFA Champions League qualifying efforts.

David Okereke and Emmanuel Dennis also celebrated a championship with Club Brugge in Belgium, while Karim Adeyemi won the Austrian Bundesliga with FC Salzburg, and Peter Olayinka claimed the Czech Republic league title with Slavia Prague.

League titles were not the only things being won.

Anthony Nwakaeme and Trabzonspor missed out on the Turkish league title, despite his flaming season of 11 goals from 29 appearances, but they got some consolation in the Ziraat Turkish Cup final. The club will not be be in European competition next season, however, after a two-season ban imposed by UEFA for violations of the Financial Fair Play rules. Perhaps, Rohr might want to reward the striker for such an accomplished season.

Alhassan Yusuf, with IFK Goteborg, and Otto John, with KF Ballkani, also celebrated cup final victories in Sweden and Kosovo respectively.

Winning is not just about titles.

Semi Ajayi and West Bromwich Albion secured promotion to the English Premier League on a heart-thumping final day of the season, while Simy Nwankwo's goals in Italy helped FC Crotone return to Serie A.

Huesca, in Spain, also returned to the La Liga, with Kelechi Nwakali in tow. The young midfielder has long been a prospect, and Nigeria and Rohr will hope that time in the Spanish top flight might see him finally blossom and fulfill his potential?

Nigerians Suffering Relegation Blues
It is hard to find bigger losers than Kenneth Omeruo and his defensive partner Chidozie Awaziem, who dropped out of La Liga in Spain.
Despite their best efforts, including taking their international partnership (well, somewhat) to club level, Leganes failed to secure the final-day win over champions Real Madrid that would have kept them in the Spanish top flight.
Awaziem can at least find consolation in the fact that he was only on loan and can return to his parent club in Portugal (not to mention a new-born baby).
For Omeruo, however, it is double jeopardy.
Injury absences have seen him replaced in the Super Eagles defence by Ajayi, who has been excellent.
It would have been hard enough for Omeruo to win his place back; suffering relegation while his rival moved up does not exactly help his cause, and he may need to secure a move away to a top-flight club to even up that battle.

Shehu Abdullahi is another Super Eagles player who needs to assess his future, after Bursaspor suffered relegation from the Turkish Super Lig. Plagued by injury most of the season, this current predicament, especially at a time when Rohr is calling up Kingsley Ehizibue from the German Bundesliga, does not bode well for Abdullahi.

And then there is Isaac Success, who appears to have been forgotten having barely kicked a ball for Watford all season. Perhaps with top players leaving the Hornets, he may get a chance to use the English League Championship to reestablish himself somewhat.

COVID-19 Postnote
Two Super Eagles players, Paul Onuachu and Samuel Kalu, tested positive for the coronavirus. Both players sat out their isolation period and recovered fully.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 7:04pm On Jul 31, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
Over 80M€ transfer money is certainly not free.

And I quote Skysports Italia sources as reported by Di Marzio and others.

You didn't get the joke.

Truidstar:
I am an ex Chelsea thru and thru...Dennis does not fit the profile of a typical conte player. I repeat it again Inter is a pipe dream.
Sir, what's a typical Conte player?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:05pm On Jul 31, 2020
I did. That's why I added "Cheeky" wink

TheLoneCitizen:

You didn't get the joke.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Olulong(m): 7:08pm On Jul 31, 2020
Truidstar:

There's a reason Inter are interested. It's not as if it's some made up Nigerian newspaper news. it's from a well known journalist

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 7:08pm On Jul 31, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
Ignore that erroneous list.

These are ADL's words to Skysports italia as translated:

“We had been following Osimhen for some time - begins the number one of the Italian club. Both Gattuso and Giuntoli wanted it, and they convinced me to make this 70 million euro sacrifice . With the bonuses it will reach eighty million, and if we consider the salary that he will receive over the years it will exceed abundantly the 100 million ".

ADL just gave the press the rounded up figures...

The ever authoritative L'equipe gave the detailed figures as 71.2M€ + 10.1M€ guaranteed bonuses. That's a whole 81.3M€ transfer package Confirmed! Minus his salary ooo... His salary package brings everything to "well over" 100M€

Okay boss..
The floor is all yours grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jul 31, 2020
Olulong:

There's a reason Inter are intereste. It's not as if it's some made up Nigerian newspaper news. it's from a well known journalist

Ok Sir. Let's see how it goes.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jul 31, 2020
TheLoneCitizen:

You didn't get the joke.

Willian, alonso, Cudrado, Costa, Hazard, Moses.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 7:15pm On Jul 31, 2020
Olulong:

There's a reason Inter are intereste. It's not as if it's some made up Nigerian newspaper news. it's from a well known journalist
LOL we Nigerians hardly believe in good news until it's confirm instead we keep looking for reasons that will make it false

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:17pm On Jul 31, 2020
Thank you My Amiable Danny... wink **climbs up the stage as Danny hands me the mic** grin

You see on this matter, we must "STRESS" AND "DRIVE IT HOME" that our boy has INDEED now become Nigeria's and Africa's costliest player in terms of transfer.

Yes it comes with huge expectations but see again ADL's further words on this transfer... Perhaps he is trying to take some pressure off our boy. But we know for this price, over 20 goals a season is expected from him and more...

ADL's words (as translated)

“He is a player from whom we do not expect everything immediately. He is not a 25-30 goal player per season, but he should express an extraordinary game for the team , scoring goals and making his teammates do it too ”.

Danielnino00:

Okay boss..
The floor is all yours grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 7:17pm On Jul 31, 2020
Truidstar:

Ok Sir. Let's see how it goes.
why your boy dessers join genk I did not like the move
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jul 31, 2020
maidaboi:
why your boy dessers join genk I did not like the move

Na Covid19 cause am. Me too i did not like the move. Shows lack of ambition.....but e dey score goal sha.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9115) (9116) (9117) (9118) (9119) (9120) (9121) ... (16261) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: HollaAyo(m), A001, MetalJigsaw(m), mostob(m), kennysville(m), superbloke(m), Sonnyland, Joebie, Mujtahida, Napoleon55(m), TheGoodJoe(m), kellycute(m), foxman04, 123jamessmith, realpoacher(m), omotems, Kayyy, M7even(m), Truidstarr, Moniter0, Ajd19, Suzzytee05(f), dymusty86, villagereporter(m), PurpleHouse(m), JayromWrites, Toylove, damirosky60, iamdynamite(m), sojious, opes, DrKlever(m), Lyster360, Sainty92, Arsenate(m), theophilusj31(m), FlexTrex, minfelix(m), Amedino99(m), shinaapp, 10cedes, lelion, mummyson26(m), Unlimited22, hustleranthem(m), Goke7, ddone, comodo, EEGA, GMBOFASIA, lukasa, Danielnino00(m), DrYa, Kog45(m), Odunayaw(m), polite2(m), geonyte(m), viccy12, mowah, kingphilip(m) and 29 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.