Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,550 members, 7,837,106 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:00 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (9543) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11791037 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9540) (9541) (9542) (9543) (9544) (9545) (9546) ... (16196) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oluislong: 11:55am On Sep 21, 2020
quickberry:

It seems Ejaria is injured
Nope he played yesterday
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 11:56am On Sep 21, 2020
1realBobby:

Definitely baba... I know Jonathan David would definitely come good... He is so highly rated in Canada, more than we rate osimhen in Nigeria...

I just made the comparison just because of some folks here... just imagine osimhen doesn't find the net on his first three outings, they would start talking down on him

Canada no get players compare to naija nah

I get you bro ,victor will do so well at Napoli ,even the Werner of the world haven’t score for 2 games so no big deal if victor didn’t score in his first 3 games but I know it won’t be up to that

Victor will score in his first start (mark this )

He was so impressive yesterday so I am praying gattuso will give him a start in the next game

Victor osimhen might end up playing for juventus if he can give us just 15 seria A goals at worst
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:57am On Sep 21, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
Lol. On Shehu, I really don't know if he made it but I doubt he will.

But Tijani will be there. Hope that isn't mago mago to you. grin

Let me see the list first. Unfortunately, I have not been able to rigourously follow our boys to detect if it's mago mago or not but I will check shumthing to verify. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by quickberry(m): 11:58am On Sep 21, 2020
andrewbaba44:

Alaba is More Nigerian than Adebayor self because his father is Nigerian and his mother is From phillipine,he is only Austrian by birth

Adebayor is a togolese and not Nigerian ,many Togolese do have Yoruba names ,but it’s hard to convince some people about this as they just believe anyone that have a Yoruba name is Nigerian ,you can all see the way the Adebayor is spelled

Adebayor is a yoruba man
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by quickberry(m): 12:00pm On Sep 21, 2020
Oluislong:

Nope he played yesterday

Okay, thanks
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by quickberry(m): 12:03pm On Sep 21, 2020
MetalJigsaw:
So you're telling there's no way he can move to EPL directly?

Not me o, but Ekong himself said so.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:04pm On Sep 21, 2020
andrewbaba44:

Alaba is More Nigerian than Adebayor self because his father is Nigerian and his mother is From phillipine,he is only Austrian by birth

Adebayor is a togolese and not Nigerian ,many Togolese do have Yoruba names ,but it’s hard to convince some people about this as they just believe anyone that have a Yoruba name is Nigerian ,you can all see the way the Adebayor is spelled

Forget! Adebayor na confirmed Nigerian born in Togo. He is different from those Yorubas that fell to other country due to the partitioning of Africa.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oldboss(m): 12:07pm On Sep 21, 2020
Danielnino00:
Scroll up.... Ive dropped the link...
just type it let me join

i did not see it
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kellycute(m): 12:08pm On Sep 21, 2020
andrewbaba44:

Agree bro

You no side our man today ,you talk am as e be

The thing de pain me sha
the matter nor even dey pain me, e dey vex me I swear down. I see am for bench yesterday and he dey shine teeth with Perez. He dey act as if nothing dey shele. How person go dey confortable for bench like that? God forbid. I Don remove hand for his matter. I nor get his time again.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 12:09pm On Sep 21, 2020
Oldboss:
just type it let me join

i did not see it

Here 82ysr5
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oluislong: 12:11pm On Sep 21, 2020
quickberry:

Lmao, don't trust that site called OGN
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:11pm On Sep 21, 2020
MetalJigsaw:
Has a Nigerian origin played for Real Madrid?- Yes

Has a Nigerian international played for Real Madrid? No
Simple!

Your head dey dere. Very simple thing.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:22pm On Sep 21, 2020
andrewbaba44:

Adebayor is Nigerian. He grew up in Togo

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 12:32pm On Sep 21, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
A list without Ahmed Musa. Unless Musa is out injured but last I checked he is fit for Al Nassr. Lol... Or just maybe he is indeed out with a knock coz it's been close to two weeks I last checked.

Musa has been in Nigeria for weeks now
Since his last goal for Al Nassr he hasn't made the squad
Maybe a transfer but he's been in Nigeria for a while now
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Utonwanne(m): 12:32pm On Sep 21, 2020
temi1290:

I guess you and karlovich are talking of 'Nigerian eligible players' while some are talking 'players of Nigerian descent'.

The premise of the argument is 'eligibility'

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 12:43pm On Sep 21, 2020
quickberry:

I know na but since you're defending him blindly you can as well answer the question. Because I don't see how the championship is same as the EPL.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 12:46pm On Sep 21, 2020
kellycute:
the matter nor even dey pain me, e dey vex me I swear down. I see am for bench yesterday and he dey shine teeth with Perez. He dey act as if nothing dey shele. How person go dey confortable for bench like that? God forbid. I Don remove hand for his matter. I nor get his time again.
Typical Nigerian players mentality.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero47: 1:02pm On Sep 21, 2020
MetalJigsaw:
So you're telling there's no way he can move to EPL directly?

Ekong will strengthen a team like Fulham or even Leicester
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 1:28pm On Sep 21, 2020
komekn:

I said this from the beginning Bundesliga is not EPL.

Timo Werner will have to adapt and improve to have an impact in the EPL. From what l have seen he has a lot to learn.

Many were saying it's the end of Tega.

I see it the other way if all those players he bought do not start perfoming, £200 million is not baked beans.

We will not be talking about Tega loosing his place but Frank Lampard getting the sack. The EPL is highly impatient, he should know.

Oga Make I hear word Abeg ,chelsea totally didn’t play well and Werner is no Messi or cr7

Go and tell Thiago Alcantara ,Timothy Castagne or Gabriel from the French league to adapt nah

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 1:30pm On Sep 21, 2020
tbaba1234:

Adebayor is Nigerian. He grew up in Togo

Hmmm una sure or na the Yoruba name make una call am Nigerian

You might be right but don’t get it twisted as many Togolese and Benin republic people do best Yoruba names sha
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 1:36pm On Sep 21, 2020
Philosopher1979:
Junior Pius scored twice for Royal Antwerp in the Beligian league yesterday as a defender. Glad to see he is finally improving
that's my boy

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 1:39pm On Sep 21, 2020
12large1:
This ekong move makes absolutely no sense (football wise) how do you leave Seria A playing against ronaldo, dybala etc to a small championship league? And these are the type of players that Nigerians expect Thier coach to miraculously get into WC semi final? Very Dumb Move the same way etebo balled at the world cup and moved to Championship instead of staying at La liga. Yes, some people will say it was a financial move but I disagree. Eking could had enjoyed seria A for 3 more seasons then decide to make money oversees. This transfer window has been 50/50. We get the likes of Osimehn, zaidu to big clubs while the likes of Ndidi is now a CB and captain and assistant captain are at Middle east/championship. Na the kind people una want me world cup. I laugh in swahili

Calm down bros

Leicester has no available CB okay

Una too Dey conclude quick that’s why I don’t take most of you serious

Did you see Evans or Wes Morgan available while ndidi play cb ?

You spoke well on the rest but you are totally wrong about ndidi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 1:41pm On Sep 21, 2020
ChrisKels:
Two goals for Onuachu today to take his season tally to 4 goals in 5 matches, while ensuring that Dessers's bombom gets flattened on the bench, but people think Dessers deserves an invite ahead of Paul grin

I have always supported onauchu and I like dessers too

People don’t want him in the team due to he hasn’t been fantastic ,but I keep on saying if he can be scoring for his club then rohr might still be inviting him

Onauchu is genk main man since samatta left for Aston Villa
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 1:42pm On Sep 21, 2020
Subzero47:

Ekong will strengthen a team like Fulham or even Leicester
Why did I even break my own rules??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 1:43pm On Sep 21, 2020
mostob:
Awaziem ... Boavista
Ekong..... Watford
Omeruo....Leganes
With those German boys on their way,one would expect these guys to aim for a bigger club.
I just weak.

So omeruo never still see laliga club

When I talk say awaziem was good for Porto bench at best some people say na lie ,I was even expecting him to join a laliga or French league club easily but na boavista my guy join

It’s well ,if he does well for Boavista he might still move to a better league

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by quickberry(m): 1:48pm On Sep 21, 2020
MetalJigsaw:
I know na but since you're defending him blindly you can as well answer the question. Because I don't see how the championship is same as the EPL.

Please, show me where I defended him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Neobulletzz(m): 1:52pm On Sep 21, 2020
andrewbaba44:

Oga Make I hear word Abeg ,chelsea totally didn’t play well and Werner is no Messi or cr7

Go and tell Thiago Alcantara ,Timothy Castagne or Gabriel from the French league to adapt nah
Oga we no play really bad, not until after that red card
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Neobulletzz(m): 1:53pm On Sep 21, 2020
andrewbaba44:

Calm down bros

Leicester has no available CB okay

Una too Dey conclude quick that’s why I don’t take most of you serious

Did you see Evans or Wes Morgan available while ndidi play cb ?

You spoke well on the rest but you are totally wrong about ndidi
Morgan was on the bench against Burnley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oluislong: 2:33pm On Sep 21, 2020
Kevin Akpoguma: Ex-German youth star sold on Nigeria 'vision'
By Oluwashina Okeleji
Football Writer, Nigeria
21 September 2020 Sport Africa

Kevin Akpoguma has been on the books of German club Hoffenheim since 2013 and has twice been loaned out
Coach Gernot Rohr says it was his vision for Nigeria that persuaded former Germany youth captain Kevin Akpoguma to commit his international future to the Super Eagles.
Akpoguma, 25, who plays for Bundesliga side Hoffenheim, has a German mother and a Nigerian father - making him eligible to play for the three-time African champions.
And, despite 62 Germany caps from under-16 to under-21 level, the defender has opted to capitalise on the Fifa rules which allows him to switch allegiances.

"It was not my job to convince [Kevin] Akpoguma to come and play for Nigeria," Rohr told BBC Sport.
"I had a good conversation with him and his family while watching several games in Hoffenheim.
"After the matches we met and could talk. I presented our projects and I could speak about the team, about this incredible period in the Super Eagles and my vision for the team.

"He was sold on this and would love to be a part of the team and play in big international competitions like the Africa Cup of Nations or even the World Cup."

Rohr's policy of picking foreign-born players has angered some observers in Nigeria, but he remains unfazed as he continues to increase the selection pool for the Super Eagles.
Since the German took charge in August 2016, the number of players born overseas has risen with the arrivals of Ola Aina, Brian Idowu, Tyronne Ebuehi, Joe Aribo, Maduka Okoye, Kingsley Ehizibue and Cyril Dessers.

Another defensive option
Kevin Akpoguma captained Germany at the 2015 Under-20 World Cup which included a win over a Musa Mohamed-led Nigerian team
Akpoguma's commitment gives the coach an extra option as he looks for a long-term addition to the regular centre back quartet of Kenneth Omeruo, Leon Balogun, William Troost-Ekong and Semi Ajayi.
Amid Rohr's excitement about the prospect of working with the defender, he admits that he will have to wait before welcoming him into the Super Eagles fold.

"We are very happy about the decision of Kevin Akpoguma to switch from Germany to Nigeria," Rohr said.
"Because he played for Germany at youth levels, the process is not finished yet because Fifa must give the authorisation.
"He has fulfilled the written request to switch and we only await the good news that he can finally play for us.
"It's too soon to expect him to play our two friendlies in October, but hopefully for the Nations Cup qualifiers in November."

Born in the western town of Neustadt an der Weinstraße, Akpoguma started his professional career at Karlsruhe SC and also played for Fortuna Düsseldorf.
The 2014 European U19 Championship winner captained Germany at the 2015 Under-20 World Cup in New Zealand, helping them beat Nigeria 1-0 in the second round.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 2:42pm On Sep 21, 2020
andrewbaba44:

I have area bro who worked then as complete sport correspondent and is name is Bayour but normally should be Bayo and a full Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 2:43pm On Sep 21, 2020
andrewbaba44:

So omeruo never still see laliga club

When I talk say awaziem was good for Porto bench at best some people say na lie ,I was even expecting him to join a laliga or French league club easily but na boavista my guy join

It’s well ,if he does well for Boavista he might still move to a better league
He would have got a French club but Porto no wan gree sell below actual price. He was a regular for Nantes.
As for Omeruo make we dey look.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JobNewsy(m): 2:44pm On Sep 21, 2020
andrewbaba44:

I have always supported onauchu and I like dessers too

People don’t want him in the team due to he hasn’t been fantastic ,but I keep on saying if he can be scoring for his club then rohr might still be inviting him

Onauchu is genk main man since samatta left for Aston Villa

I seldom comment on this thread, but I have to comment on this very one.

I personally hate to see ardent football fans defending lackluster players; and yes! Onauchu fall into this category. I'm not hating bro. But that guy has done little to nothing to merit a National Team call-up. I take time to follow our players week-in week-out to see how each of them are balling in their respective FC(s). But then, this Onauchu of a guy doesn't really have what it takes to be in the NT. With all due respect bro, the Super Eagles need to win the next edition of AFCON, and even getting to the World Cup Quater-Finals. I love all our players, and I always pray they all succeed. But Onauchu case is quite different. A good striker MUST be Osimhen's-like. Pacy, Strength, Ball-Sense, and all. Besides Nig vs Egy friendly, can you recall another match where Onauchu did so well? That's why our country hardly go far in big tournaments, because we give room for so much sentiment to becloud our reasoning.

Onauchu isn't good enough for the current Super Eagles! Onauchu is slow, and we need pacy forwards. Imagine front-three like: Ejuke, Osimhen, Chukwueze. Just imagine those three for a minute lipsrsealed. I think nna only GOD fit stop these three if they're on COUNTER! Now, can you substitute a pacy "Goal Machine" for Onauchu and still be able to play a SPIRITED counter-attacking football?

In my honest opinion, I think Cyriel Dessers should be given a chance to prove himself.

With the current crops of players we're parading, I see the Super Eagles playing a more counter-attacking football.

I'm not criticizing you boss! It's just my opinion.

I know my English isn't that good. I still deh learn sad

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (9540) (9541) (9542) (9543) (9544) (9545) (9546) ... (16196) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Christology(m), etebefia, abbey086(m), 10cedes, COOL10(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.