Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,171 members, 7,815,100 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:17 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (9546) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11645880 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9543) (9544) (9545) (9546) (9547) (9548) (9549) ... (16144) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:09pm On Sep 21, 2020
owbabs:
Who is Onyeka?

This lad. Frank Onyeka of FC Midtjylland. Expected to make a move to a top 5 league team, this window but time will tell.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 6:10pm On Sep 21, 2020
Karlovich:
The list is very surprising

Nothing surprising at all
Still shocked Musa playing monkey post in Nigeria made the list even Iheanacho
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:15pm On Sep 21, 2020
Uzoho only recently returned to training and he has been working his way back to full fitness. Rohr thinks it wise to allow him hit full fitness levels at least before the November fixtures.

So Okoye takes his place as the Team's #1 for these friendlies. Alampasu in for Akpeyi. Rohr really means it about phasing out the old average goalies like Akpeyi and Ezenwa.

Then lastly, Yakubu is in for Tobias Lawal who withdrew.

And Semi Ajayi made the list naa.

safarigirl:
I like the goalkeepers list the most. Real clearance of Akpeyi and co....throw the small boys in, so, they can start getting that experience early. We're looking at potentially, a decade+ of service

The opposition will be good to test the young bloods.

I like the list. I don't know what some people are wtf-ing about it, who una for put?

*Modified*

Abeg, wetin do Uzoho? He hasn't played enough? Semi Ajayi too

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 6:24pm On Sep 21, 2020
seankafor:
Where is the fabrizio wannabes who predicted akpoguma and what nots to make the list..

Nonsense and ingredients sad
not sure anybody said they'll make the list, even Rohr said it's too early for Akpoguma
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 6:26pm On Sep 21, 2020
sheyishemba:

Ejaria has completed his switch...what else do you want
how do you know this?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 6:27pm On Sep 21, 2020
minfelix:
List
Maja and Ejaria should be on here. I'm sorry but Nacho should not get invites till he leaves Leicester.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 6:28pm On Sep 21, 2020
sheyishemba:

But seriously this list is rubbish
I agree with uzoho exclusion he might not be fully fit why ehzibue exclusion , Ejaria??
But what the hell is frank doing ahead of azzez there is no clear Creative midfielder( I can't call etebo a CMF) ihenacho ahead of maja for real
Is rohr sick??
iwobi no be our creative midfielder again? Don't forget that iheanacho had a better 2019/2020 season than Maja

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:29pm On Sep 21, 2020
Ehizibue missing is quite a surprise. But you can factor in the comeback of Ebuehi (placed on standby), the invitation of Zaidu alongside Collins, Aina and refusal to drop any of the previous regular names on our list and maybe the fact Rohr didn't want to make the list 27. Wanted to keep the Defenders at 8.

As for the German-Nigerian CBs, their FIFA clearance/switch process obviously hasn't been finalised. Perhaps by the November games, one or two could be ready. Time will tell.

Eizzy003:

Where is Ehizibue and the German defender

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero47: 6:30pm On Sep 21, 2020
Maduka Okoye is not good enough yet for the SE, we desperately need a second keeper
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 6:31pm On Sep 21, 2020
minfelix:
List
Azeez, Onyekuru, Maja, Shehu and Ebuehi on standby.
I guess if Aribo was fit Agu wouldn't have made it
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:33pm On Sep 21, 2020
Funny enough, I think he is the one that may start the first friendly.

In this list of goalies, he is #1 followed by Alampasu and then Yakubu.
Alampasu is Akpeyi's replacement. Yakubu was only included yesterday after Tobias' very late withdrawal.

The Goalie dept is the youngest and least experienced of the all the depts. All three goalies combined don't have more than 2 caps in the NT. Now that's a bold risk Rohr is taking but we will see.

Subzero47:
Maduka Okoye is not good enough for the SE, we desperately need a second keeper

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero47: 6:34pm On Sep 21, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
Funny enough, I think he is the one that may start the first friendly.

In this list of goalies, he is #1 followed by Alampasu and then Yakubu.
Alampasu is Akpeyi's replacement. Yakubu was only included yesterday after Tobias' very late withdrawal.

The Goalie dept is the youngest and least experienced of the all the depts. All three goalies combined don't have more than 2 caps in the NT. Now that's a bold risk Rohr is taking but we will see.

I'm not a fan of Akpeyi but he's better than everybody in that goalkeepers list
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:42pm On Sep 21, 2020
Na "The List" carry me come before October. Let me drop my two cents then I'll see u all in October to cheer our SE.

Firstly, what I see in the GK department is encouraging. Although the trio may not be our best but it's long over due we tested more hands.

Secondly, as regards the surprise absences of some FBs we all expected will make it, there are two things I want to say. Their absences may be due to their inability to secure a Nigerian Passport. But if this is not the case, that brings me to the second point. Courted foreign born players should not be automatically invited. Especially those when done do us yanga before. We need to make them feel like they need to earn a place. One disappointment or two will do the trick.

Thirdly, with that young man from Austria making the list. it shows that Rohr is desperately looking for more midfield options. Let's hope that Tijani will turn out to be another Osimhen for Gernot Rohr.

I'm okay with Onuachu's exclusion regardless of his fine form. The lad has not been able to bring that to the SE. Let's give him a break and reward Dessers for his fine showing last season. Dessers may be able to blend better with the team than the former.

That said, let me return to serious work.

modified.
As per Musa, we all know how the matter be. Old glory things. Not to say he is finished yet.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:43pm On Sep 21, 2020
True. On the basis of Experience and being tested already. He has delivered in couple of games for us no doubt. Like against Cameroun even though he conceeded two (none were his fault).

Earlier before September, I had the impression that Rohr might invite Akpeyi alongside Okoye and someone else. At least, since Uzoho was going to be missing, perhaps Akpeyi will still be needed to provide experience in that dept. I was thinking Akpeyi's phasing out will be gradual but it seems Rohr has measured things and feel now is the time to let him drop off.

It is a risk. But I think Rohr knows what he is doing. Let's see Maduka play a full game for us. He cannot be seen as Uzoho's deputy based only on a couple of mins against Brazil. He needs to be tested and tried. These are friendlies afterall and we have just the defense to help the lad.

Subzero47:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:45pm On Sep 21, 2020
I go try.. how thinz my bro?
Edopesin:

Oga Joebie how far na
At least dey show every now and then, league go soon start we go get things to analyze
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:45pm On Sep 21, 2020
you don see my face now abi.
but see u in October grin
Danielnino00:

grin

So u won't be back until October/November.
no be u just call am world class wink
elyte89:

And no club tabled a bid for billing d world class player grin...meanwhile where is joebie wink
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Olulong(m): 6:52pm On Sep 21, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
Ehizibue missing is quite a surprise. But you can factor in the comeback of Ebuehi (placed on standby), the invitation of Zaidu alongside Collins, Aina and refusal to drop any of the previous regular names on our list and maybe the fact Rohr didn't want to make the list 27. Wanted to keep the Defenders at 8.

As for the German-Nigerian CBs, their FIFA clearance/switch process obviously hasn't been finalised. Perhaps by the November games, one or two could be ready. Time will tell.

Buh really why does he have to invite 5 CB's??. What if Aina is injured who'll take is place, Awaziem again??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 6:52pm On Sep 21, 2020
Subzero47:

Nope he's not.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 6:52pm On Sep 21, 2020
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy fabrizio wannabe don finish me
seankafor:
Where is the fabrizio wannabes who predicted akpoguma and what nots to make the list..

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero47: 6:52pm On Sep 21, 2020
wayodude:

Nope he's not.

Yes he is
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:57pm On Sep 21, 2020
Honestly, that's why I feel he could have made it 27 instead of 26. Ebuehi made standby so either him or Ehizibue should have made the main list... Make it 9 defenders since he won't drop any other CB while the other makes the standby list. Finito.

But shaa... The list is what it is. So yes, it means Awaziem could take Aina's place in one of the friendlies. Time will tell.

Olulong:

Buh really why does he have to invite 5 CB's??. What if Aina is injured who'll take is place, Awaziem again??

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero47: 6:58pm On Sep 21, 2020
Balogun has not ever even played a match since his return to fitness
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:04pm On Sep 21, 2020
isan:
U don't even know if ejaria want to play for us

Yes he ABSOLUTELY DOES.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:06pm On Sep 21, 2020
Edopesin:

Oga Joebie how far na
At least dey show every now and then, league go soon start we go get things to analyze

Agreed without reservation or question ❓

Indeed I table one pot of UKODO if u show face, special delivery.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Olulong(m): 7:07pm On Sep 21, 2020
Subzero47:
Balogun has not ever even played a match since his return to fitness

I tire. Why is Agu even there ahead of Azeez. iheanacho and Musa shouldn't be there ahead of Maja, Onyekuru or Onuachu. I just tire for Rohr.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by oloriooko(m): 7:12pm On Sep 21, 2020
Vida to Inter
BascoVanVeli:
Luis Suarez to atletico/ Morata to Juventus shocked
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:15pm On Sep 21, 2020
Iheanacho earned his place. He had a strong 2019/2020 season and even after the Covid break, he kept on doing well for Leicester. The fact he didn't play Leicester's last game doesn't suddenly erase his form.

Ahmed Musa... Well he is fit and he is Captain of the team. That's about explains it.

As for Henry Onyekuru, he wasn't great in 19/20 but is doing well so far in the early stages of the new season 20/21. Let him keep at it. Others have already earned their places long before his recent rejuvenation.

Josh Maja... Well, didn't have it better than Nacho in 19/20. And also recently he was benched for the last two games. Even Kalu started a game as #9 ahead of Maja recently. Yes he has a goal already but he has to show more like Nacho did which has earned him a recall.

Onuachu... Four goals already this season but the lad just doesn't seem to fit in with our fast paced attacking style of play. He will be huge for us if we play fully to his strengths like crossing the balls to him frequently when he makes moves into the box but we cannot do that when we have an Osimhen and an Iheanacho who have the qualities needed to function in our fast paced attacking system and who make us highly unprecedictable upfront. In Onuachu... It would just be cross, nod and inshallah... grin That is very predictable.

That said, he is not a bad player but he hasn't convinced for us yet in our attacking system.

Olulong:

I tire. Why is Agu even there ahead of Azeez. iheanacho and Musa shouldn't be there ahead of Maja, Onyekuru or Onuachu. I just tire for Rohr.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:19pm On Sep 21, 2020
TheSuperNerd:
True. On the basis of Experience and being tested already. He has delivered in couple of games for us no doubt. Like against Cameroun even though he conceeded two (none were his fault).

Earlier before September, I had the impression that Rohr might invite Akpeyi alongside Okoye and someone else. At least, since Uzoho was going to be missing, perhaps Akpeyi will still be needed to provide experience in that dept. I was thinking Akpeyi's phasing out will be gradual but it seems Rohr has measured things and feel now is the time to let him drop off.

It is a risk. But I think Rohr knows what he is doing. Let's see Maduka play a full game for us. He cannot be seen as Uzoho's deputy based only on a couple of mins against Brazil. He needs to be tested and tried. These are friendlies afterall and we have just the defense to help the lad.

Isn't Akpeyi based outside of Europe?

Would he be able to fly into Austria?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 7:23pm On Sep 21, 2020
seankafor:

Well

It has always shown over time dt...all d exclusive list on dis thread b4 d official list is released are mere permutations and nothing more

We just dey use those "exclusive news" to catch cruise cool

7 Likes 6 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:31pm On Sep 21, 2020
Hmmm... That's another angle. He is based in Africa and I don't know about South Africa's travel plan protocols for now as we emerge gradually from the Covid pandemic. You know, perhaps that is partly why he was not invited. On one hand, I know Rohr thinks of replacing him someday but on another hand, perhaps it is the travel plans. Can't say for sure.

safarigirl:

Isn't Akpeyi based outside of Europe?

Would he be able to fly into Austria?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 7:33pm On Sep 21, 2020
elyte89:

Well

It has always shown over time dt...all d exclusive list on dis thread b4 d official list is released are mere permutations and nothing more

We just dey use those "exclusive news" to catch cruise cool
the exclusives re gotten DIRECT FRM ROHR N PINNICK grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (9543) (9544) (9545) (9546) (9547) (9548) (9549) ... (16144) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: twentyk(m), typicalgamer(m), kentebemoney, lbrichman2, Ikanium(m), Hanibal(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.