Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,701 members, 7,865,786 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 05:22 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (990) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11961063 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (987) (988) (989) (990) (991) (992) (993) ... (16373) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:47pm On May 28, 2017
Looooollll..... Hahahahahahahahaha.....

do4luv14:

mak ah no jst too put mouth dia, cos ah no wan enter onechance with madamSAFARIGIRL
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:49pm On May 28, 2017
Looooollll..... Hahahahahahahahaha.....

do4luv14:

mak ah no jst too put mouth dia, cos ah no wan enter onechance with madamSAFA.RIGIRL
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:50pm On May 28, 2017
But he got to the ball first... then he partially fluffed his control of it (even though he did good to bring it under some control with the first touch) and even hit a weak shot which the onrushing Penneteau stopped.... with Nacho waiting right in the centre in front of goal.

BascoVanVeli:
But it was an half chance. Before he got to the ball the keeper was already present.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 6:54pm On May 28, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Orji Okonkwo Dazzles For Bologna Against Juventus, Eyes Super Eagles Shirt

Nigeria youth international Orji Okonkwo created the opening goal for Bologna in their 1-2 loss to Italian Serie A Champions Juventus yesterday.

The Flying Eagles ace laid a pass for Saphir Taider to blast home a thunderous effort from outside the box in the 52nd minutes to open scoring in the game. He however ended on the losing side.

Okonkwo lasted the entire duration of the game, a sign of how high coach Roberto Donadoni rates the 19 year old who only joined the team in the summer following a string of fine performances for the Nigeria U-17 and 20.

His fine display was however blotted after he picked up a booking for a foul on Kwadwo Asamoah eight minutes from full time, and he was lucky not to have been given his marching orders when he tripped Mario Mandzukic six minutes after his initial foul.

Speaking to owngoalnigeria.com, the power playing forward who is nicknamed “big striker” by his teammates in the Nigeria youth team said he is eyeing a better season next year to force himself into the plans of the Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr.

” It has been a nice season for me, I have to thank God for how I settled down in Italy. Hopefully I will go a step forward next season and push my way into the senior national team of Nigeria for the World Cup 2018″, he said.

**Osas Mahawi

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/05/28/orji-okonkwo-dazzles-for-bologna-against-juventus-eyes-super-eagles-shirt/

This is the way to demand for selection by putting in top performances in a top league. He is learning his time will come has to keep progressing next must claim a jersey regular.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:00pm On May 28, 2017
OMANBALA1:

Funny a thing Orji Okonkwo was not among the top performers at Chile 2015 but look at him now. So far ,he is ahead of Osimhen,Nwakali and Chibueze.

As it stands 100% but this is quite normal some players peak at youth level for whatever reason and do not go much further afterwards well at least not to the level expected.

When Neymar played for Brazil in Nigeria 2009 U17 he was totally anonymous. Who is the player carrying Brazil and is clearly world class and where are our bronze and silver boot etc winners.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:05pm On May 28, 2017
zuchyblink:
i will like to see orji okonkwo and kelechi nwakali in SE even the dessers guy

I would like to see them play a full season of regular top flight football in a top league and prove themselves worthy of the SE.

Let past glories be forgotten and the present continous prevail. Particularly with regard to thier club form and league quality.

Let the playing field be made level merit only.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:11pm On May 28, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
But he got to the ball first... then he completely fluffed his control of it and even hit a weak shot which the onrushing Penneteau stopped.... with Nacho waiting right in the centre in front of goal.

His control was not bad at all, it put him in shooting position but it was not about power of shot, it was the placing as a chip would have done better. I don't think anyone should have expected him to see Iheanacho in that position because we already know he doesn't pass those up.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:12pm On May 28, 2017
Humility017:

don't say that!
how well do u know him?
do u know his roots?
he may just be another Ross barkeley guy
so let's watch him closely and see if there is any interest from him to play for Nigeria..
and frm then we can make move to avoid embarrassment or better still should he impress in the top division....NFF can approach him secretly and see his reactions

You assume he had a Nigerian father

Being a father goes beyond dropping your seed at every sea port of call like a drunken sailor and can't even remember the name of the mother or even seen your so called son.

I have seen this trend across so many European seaports, however the assumed recent trend of baby mother has been practised vigorously by Nigerian father's throughput Europe abandoning thier sons left right and center over 30 years ago.

So how can those Children even feel anything for Nigeria and if they do na just d Hand of God, nuttin else.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:13pm On May 28, 2017
komekn:

I would like to see them play a full season of regular top flight football in a top league and prove themselves worthy of the SE.

Let past glories be forgotten and the present continous prevail. Particularly with regard to thier club form and league quality.

Let the playing field be made level merit only.

These children walked into European first teams. They have proven they are special.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:17pm On May 28, 2017
Sorry Sir Komekn... but Neymar was not totally anonymous at Nigeria 2009. He made good impact with the little time Brazil spent in the competition. I remember watching him in Lagos... Neymar was beautiful to watch.

They were knocked out in the first round by an exciting Switzerland side who went on to become champions that year.

And yeah where are the likes of Sani Emmanuel? Stanley Okoro? right?

But Onazi, Omeruo, Kayode and Ajagun featured in that same competition. They are doing good.... aren't they?

Don't sound like it is perculiar to Nigeria... after all, where is Spain's Borja? Spain's Edgar? Brazil's Ganso? Switzerland's Ben Khalifa and so on and so forth...

And K.Nwakali and Osimhen are surely gonna be great players... you just wait and see. Don't write them off yet.... And yes, Okonkwo Orji, Scorer of that world class strike against mexico in the semis at Chile 2015 is really on fire and doing superbly well... he is very close to an invite to the Eagles... but he should keep it on... lad is rising nicely.

Only sad for Chukwueze as his handlers are just delaying his rise... such an exceptional talent may just die away because of carelessness and greed on the handlers' part and it is so frustrating... just hope he can get his career off the ground... dude is still young and can still make that good career move.... but his agents should plsss let him be and forget their selfish interests. Haba!

komekn:

As it stands 100% but this is quite normal some players peak at youth level for whatever reason and do not go much further afterwards well at least not to the level expected.

When Neymar played for Brazil in Nigeria 2009 U17 he was totally anonymous. Who is the player carrying Brazil and is clearly world class and where are our bronze and silver boot etc winners.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:27pm On May 28, 2017
I already modified my thoughts on how he controlled the ball... I meant to type partially...

Anyway, fact is he was in a shooting position but also has the option of squaring for Nacho who was in a much better position to score....

He should have passed or made sure scored since he wemt for goal on his own. We have already talked about that aspect of his game which can be good and also bad....

I recall it was you (or was it you or another) who asked if Henry can cope in the Eagles the same way Neymar is doing at Barca?

I recall also that I commented on that.... wink

Onyekuru is a super young talent but has to find the balance between going solo and playing with his Eagles team mates. He is not at Eupen anymore.... He is now in the Super Eagles.... he should realise that and strike that balance. He should play more for the team....

BascoVanVeli:

His control was not bad at all, it put him in shooting position but it was not about power of shot, it was the placing as a chip would have done better. I don't think anyone should have expected him to see Iheanacho in that position because we already know he doesn't pass those up.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:32pm On May 28, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

Are u sure you watched that video of the highlights very very keenly?

Looolll... if we no fit see everything stated in that short video na full match una go come see everything abi? Looollll

Iheanacho wore jersey no.14.... maybe that will help... wink

When you watch it again, you will surely see his saved chance in the second half...

That's why I said correct me. So u see, he also missed a chance so why the pick on Onyekuru and Musa only.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dedebanky85: 7:33pm On May 28, 2017
Bros, forget NFF. These guys that believe u need to be in a big club b4 they can hustle for u. They don't see the talent in an epl championship player, how much more a player in dutch div2. I seen his highlights and he's quite good.

tbaba1234:

Cyriel Dessers identifies as a Nigerian on his Instagram.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:35pm On May 28, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
I already modified my thoughts on how he controlled the ball... I meant to type partially...

Anyway, fact is he was in a shooting position but also has the option of squaring for Nacho who was in a much better position to score....

He should have passed or made sure scored since he wemt for goal on his own. We have already talked about that aspect of his game which can be good and also bad....

I recall it was you (or was it you or another) who asked if Henry can cope in the Eagles the same way Neymar is doing at Barca?

I recall also that I commented on that.... wink

Onyekuru is a super young talent but has to find the balance between going solo and playing with his Eagles team mates. He is not at Eupen anymore.... He is now in the Super Eagles.... he should realise that and strike that balance. He should play more for the team....

I don't think the ball would have ever made it to Iheanacho. He had the goalkeeper and 3 defenders in the way.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 7:36pm On May 28, 2017
Humility017:

bro...abeg nor verse ooo
you actually had this thought?
it's funny you know...

Funny? That's interesting.

I should have used the word "believed"

it was during a Liverpool match I heard the commentator made mention of Ojo nationality to be Benin.

And Onomah, I seem to have mistaken him with Nkodu. Both play for Tottenham.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:39pm On May 28, 2017
komekn:

You assume he had a Nigerian father

Being a father goes beyond dropping your seed at every sea port of call like a drunken sailor and can't even remember the name of the mother or even seen your so called son.

I have seen this trend across so many European seaports, however the assumed recent trend of baby mother has been practised vigorously by Nigerian father's throughput Europe abandoning thier sons left right and center over 30 years ago.

So how can those Children even feel anything for Nigeria and if they do na just d Hand of God, nuttin else.

Forget what u have seen u don't know his father. It is wrong to insinuate on matters u are not cognizant about.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:47pm On May 28, 2017
Come on Sir Basco.... not like they were all lined up in linear fashion and forming a wall akin to China's great wall.... wink

Two defenders were already behind Nacho with only one keeping up slightly and keeping him onside... Had Onyekuru placed the pass on time, it would have gotten into Nacho's path....

BascoVanVeli:

I don't think the ball would have ever made it to Iheanacho. He had the goalkeeper and 3 defenders in the way.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zoboizee: 7:49pm On May 28, 2017
I watched the corsica game highlights, Musa's shot was awful. How i wish taiye taiwo was in that position.Kelechi's first touch on goal on 35mins was equally awful. Most of these super eagles guys needs to learn how to hit a shot on the ground. Keepers easily save high shots. Commendable performance no doubt. Both penalties looked too easy on the eye though.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:52pm On May 28, 2017
Coz theirs was more glaring compared to Nacho's. Musa's was especially annoying but he did good in the game for the most parts.

Icon4s:

That's why I said correct me. So u see, he also missed a chance so why the pick on Onyekuru and Musa only.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:56pm On May 28, 2017
True... Nacho's first touch in that first half around said time was poor but the keeper was already unto him too and the pass was a high one too... Nacho was closed down too quickly by the goalie.

That Penneteau guy sef took that match too personal biko. He thwarted almost everything we threw at him. angry

zoboizee:
I watched the corsica game highlights, Musa's shot was awful. How i wish taiye taiwo was in that position.Kelechi's first touch on goal on 35mins was equally awful. Most of these super eagles guys needs to learn how to hit a shot on the ground. Keepers easily save high shots. Commendable performance no doubt. Both penalties looked too easy on the eye though.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dedebanky85: 8:02pm On May 28, 2017
That ball could have made it to Nacho easily. It depends on the player's mentality while with the ball. If Onyekuru decided to pass, he would never have ran so fast like that. With the speed he was on, only one outcome - shoot. But if he had gone slowly then he could easily have cut the ball back and then picked the right square play. It all depended on his frame of mind while running with the ball.

TheSuperNerd:
Come on Sir Basco.... not like they were all lined up in linear fashion and forming a wall akin to China's great wall.... wink

Two defenders were already behind Nacho with only one keeping up slightly and keeping him onside... Had Onyekuru placed the pass on time, it would have gotten into Nacho's path....

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zoboizee: 8:10pm On May 28, 2017
Our boys were too eager to shoot & decided to blast the ball into the net from distance rather than look for who is free on goal. cheesy angry grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:16pm On May 28, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

IMO he had a better chance at scoring than getting the pass thru. This is just a question of finishing.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:35pm On May 28, 2017
Abeg ehn..... Nacho flew back to England from France abi.... fine... we know that already...

So could man city please stop playing "hard to negotiate" and let Nacho be......? I mean an official announcement of Nacho's new club ought to have been made by now... undecided

Man City and Pep keep singing the song that they recognise what a top young talent he is yet they don't wanna give him a chance to play.... we know they won't sell him or loan him to a rival... fine!!!! Then give him away to another outside the top 7 then.... na wa oooo... the matter don tire pesin....

And ofcos, any deal for Nacho will likely have a buy-back clause putting man city in a win-win situation.... that club ehn.... angry

#LetNachoGo Already!!!!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 8:39pm On May 28, 2017
tbaba1234:

Cyriel Dessers identifies as a Nigerian on his Instagram.

Take another look....He placed Belgium before his father land. That says a lot. Dude is probably ignorant.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:41pm On May 28, 2017
OMANBALA1:

Take another look....He placed Belgium before his father land. That says a lot. Dude is probably ignorant.

Ignorant?? Why?? How?

He grew up in Belgium and it is probably his mother that is Nigerian.. He identifies with Nigeria. That was the point i was raising.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 8:41pm On May 28, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Chukwueze...... wink

Nwanne,I stand corrected. I knew Chibueze was wrong but I could remember his real name and na my boy...my favourite of that set...smh
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 8:44pm On May 28, 2017
I have always thought Onyekuru was another Victor Moses in the making with better goal rate. I am not yet sold on that Nigga.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 8:46pm On May 28, 2017
tbaba1234:

Ignorant?? Why?? How?

He grew up in Belgium and it is probably his mother that is Nigerian.. He identifies with Nigeria. That was the point i was raising.

Ignorant of his Nigerian roots. There are many like that. Even among Igbos born in Lagos some will tell you my papa say we be Igbo people from Imo or Delta. Ignorance is real bro.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:52pm On May 28, 2017
OMANBALA1:

Ignorant of his Nigerian roots. There are many like that. Even among Igbos born in Lagos some will tell you my papa say we be Igbo people from Imo or Delta. Ignorance is real bro.

How?? Because he put Belgian before Nigerian??

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:55pm On May 28, 2017
OMANBALA1:

so don't write him off...
he can still turn out for Nigeria... if all things work well...glad rohr fancy the dutch league

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:56pm On May 28, 2017
tbaba1234:

How?? Because he put Belgian before Nigerian??

I think my brother have issues wit getting and giving players of dual nationaliti a chance wit the SE...

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (987) (988) (989) (990) (991) (992) (993) ... (16373) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.