Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,001 members, 7,859,586 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 03:13 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3596) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11919852 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3593) (3594) (3595) (3596) (3597) (3598) (3599) ... (16328) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:20pm On May 20, 2018
I had given up in that SF. But I said to myself if Nigeria scores to make it 3-2, dem don try, not expecting what was to happen.

It still surprised me that Amunike’s goal in the final counted, not knowing the offside rule then.

I remember after we won gold we were expecting to be on top in FIFA ranking hahaha

Triniti:
wwf was the in thing for the kids around then, we used to swear at the tv whenever we are expecting our favorite program and football match pops up. Watched the semi/final of the 96 Olympic after I was woken up by the shout of neighbors, watched all Nigerian and other matches at the mundial in 98. But that semi final was the deal breaker, I followed the Dutch players like beckamp& overmars to Arsenal and started watching the premier league on tv every Saturday. The good old days when local stations air live matches every weekend

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:24pm On May 20, 2018
Wolves Retain Ikeme, 58 Others For 2018/2019 EPL Season
May 20, 2018 3:18 pm

Despite being diagnosed with acute leukaemia, Super Eagles goalkeeper Carl Ikeme is among 59 players retained by Wolverhampton Wanderers ahead of the Premier League season.

Wolves got promoted from the Championship at the end of last season despite losing their first choice goalkeeper Ikeme to the disease at the beginning of the season in July.

Ikeme is currently undergoing treatment.
The retained list was announced by Wolves on their official website on Sunday.

The list has been submitted to the English Football League (EFL) as the club prepares for a return to the top flight.
On 6 July 2017, it was announced that Ikeme was diagnosed with acute leukaemia after returning abnormal blood tests during a routine pre-season check-up.

Also among the retained players are the duo of Bright Enobakhare and Dominic Iorfa.

Meanwhile, 12 senior players were not offered new contracts and five youngsters have been released from Wolves scholarship programme.

Wolves were crowned champions of the 2017/2018 English Championship which secured automatic promotion to the Premier League.

Wolves’ retained players for 2018/2019 EPL season:
Benny Ashley-Seal
Danny Batth
Harry Beasley
Ryan Bennett
Harry Burgoyne
Oskar Buur
Ivan Cavaleiro
Conor Coady
Aaron Collins
Helder Costa
Daniel Csoka
Sylvain Deslandes
Matt Doherty
Barry Douglas
Ethan Ebanks-Landell
Niall Ennis
Bright Enobakhare
Morgan Gibbs-White
Paul Gladon
Pedro Goncalves
Ben Goodliffe
Jordan Graham
Boubacar Hanne
Andrew Harris-Sealy
Kortney Hause
Aaron Hayden
Christian Herc
Carlos Heredia
Carl Ikeme
Dominic Iorfa
Cameron John
Connor Johnson
Ryan Leak
Ben Marshall
Joe Mason
Dan McKenna
Rafa Mir
Roderick Miranda
Duckens Nazon
Ruben Neves
Will Norris
Phil Ofosu-Ayeh
Prince Oniangue
Owen Otasowie
Will Randall
Connor Ronan
Jack Ruddy
John Ruddy
Romain Saiss
Austin Samuels
Enzo Sauvage
Sherwin Seedorf
Aaron Simpson
Andreas Sondergaard
Ben Stevenson
Elliot Watt
Donovan Wilson
Ming-Yang Yang
Michal Zyro.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/wolves-retain-ikeme-58-others-for-2018-2019-epl-season/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 7:27pm On May 20, 2018
tbaba1234:

Sorry sir, no vex
Abeg, when World Cup camp dey open?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:30pm On May 20, 2018
jihday:
Abeg, when World Cup camp dey open?

Players will start arriving tomorrow.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:49pm On May 20, 2018
ADO Den Haag Congratulate Ebuehi On Benfica Switch
May 20, 2018 9:55 am

Dutch club, ADO Den Haag, have sent their best wishes to their former defender, Tyronne Ebuehi, who left the club in Saturday to formally join Portuguese giants, Benfica, Completesportsnigeria. com reports.

Ebuehi, 22, penned a five-year contract on a free with the Portuguese league runners-up ending his five year stay with ADO Den Haag.

He turned down the chance to sign a new deal with ADO Den Haag preferring a move elsewhere.

ADO Den Haag will receive a training allowance of 250,000 euros as compensation.

“Tyronne Ebuehi has signed for Benfica for five seasons. We wish him every success and happiness in his future career!,” reads a tweet on ADO Den Haag’s Twitter handle
The right-back who was born in the Netherlands to a Nigerian father and a Dutch mother is in Nigeria’s 30-man provisional squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/ado-den-haag-congratulate-ebuehi-on-benfica-switch/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:56pm On May 20, 2018
Chukwueze Hopes To Face Uzoho In Spanish Promotion Play-Offs Final
May 20, 2018 4:51 pm

Former Golden Eaglets star Samuel Chukwueze says he hopes to meet Super Eagles goalkeeper Francis Uzoho in the final of the Spanish Segunda B (third division) promotion playoff.

Chukwueze’s Villarreal B team face Athletic Bilbao in the first leg of
the Segunda B quarter-finals on Sunday, while Uzoho’s RCD Deportivo Fabril are away to Extremadura UD the same day with the return leg
billed for the 26th or 27th of May.

Uzoho has so far this season kept 15 clean sheets for RC Deportivo Fabril in 25 games, Chukwueze on the other hand started the season with Villarreal’s U-19 team and was promoted to the team B after an impressive campaign which saw him net seven goals playing from the wings.

Speaking ahead of their trip to Bilbao, Chukwueze, who missed Flying Eagles 2-2 draw away to Guinea-Bissau, hailed Uzoho as one of the best goalkeepers in the Segunda B and hope they both meet in the play-off final.

“As a Nigerian, I wish him the best and hope our teams both do well and we meet in the final,” the 2015 FIFA U-17 World Cup winner said.

“He’s a very good goalkeeper with his height and one of the best in our division. I’m happy for him that he’ll be going to the World Cup.”

The 19-year-old former Arsenal target also expressed his disappointment after missing Flying Eagles’ match with Guinea-Bissau but promised to hit camp after the play-offs next month.

“I’m very disappointed to miss the (Guinea-Bissau) match. I spoke with the coach and I explained to him that I won’t be available because of our (Villarreal) play-off match.”

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/chukwueze-hopes-to-face-uzoho-in-spanish-promotion-play-offs-final/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 7:57pm On May 20, 2018
asha80:
i wonder what is he us doubting it for.. people had different experiences.. as 14yr old leading up to 1994 nations and world cup I was already an avid reader of complete football and international soccer review magazines that you could get in newspaper stands

Baba dis ball we talking of self,even as as today some ardent fan of football don't knw d basic rules if u engage dem,such do happen on dis forum at times

And u want to tell me DT as an 8year old below can analyse different formation like 4-5-1,4-4-2,4-3-3,den as at 92,94,96 year cool

Me I no believe una o

Okay let me ask u a question, and please b sincere don't check d internet,d Chile 87 u claimed to watch

Wc formation did Nigeria used against Canada in died 2-2,name d starting 11,if u truly u comprehend what u watched as at age 7 den.I knw u can't analyse it

But am sure if I ask u d formations and line ups most teams used from 98 till present,u go tell me wout d help of internet.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 8:00pm On May 20, 2018
Joebie:
To talk true I’ve stopped drinking for over 3 years now.

OK bro
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:12pm On May 20, 2018
tbaba1234:

Not true, i was passionate about football at 5 years... I read football magazines at that age and could tell you the names of players and types of formations.

My dad used to buy the complete football magazine for me. I followed all the football shows on tv. My uncles used to bring me to the football conversations and people used to be surprised as to how a kid this young knew football.

You read complete football.

I was one of the writers as at the late 90s.

The drive then was to uncover new players that will take over from the then aging 90s squad.

My focus then was more on identifying young Nigerian players in Europe.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 8:12pm On May 20, 2018
elyte89:

Baba dis ball we talking of self,even as as today some ardent fan of football don't knw d basic rules if u engage dem,such do happen on dis forum at times

And u want to tell me DT as an 8year old below can analyse different formation like 4-5-1,4-4-2,4-3-3,den as at 92,94,96 year cool

Me I no believe una o

Okay let me ask u a question, and please b sincere don't check d internet,d Chile 87 u claimed to watch

Wc formation did Nigeria used against Canada in died 2-2,name d starting 11,if u truly u comprehend what u watched as at age 7 den.I knw u can't analyse it

But am sure if I ask u d formations and line ups most teams used from 98 till present,u go tell me wout d help of internet.
who said anything about knowing formations as a 7yr old? I knew players not formation.. I would wait to watch matches on tv then to see who wins, the goals and excitement .. it is from 1993 that I started getting ideas about formations.. no need to doubt all these things.. if you still doubt me go and check whether Canada 87 final against Soviet union was a sunshine match (as I alluded to ) or played under floodlight
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:15pm On May 20, 2018
andrew444:
Simmy Nwankwo club crotone has been relegated

I think dey still have to play the 3rd best team in the Serial B to decide their fate.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 8:15pm On May 20, 2018
Icon4s:

You read complete football.

I was one of the writers as at the late 90s.

The drive then was to uncover new players that will take over from the then aging 90s squad.

My focus then was more on identifying young Nigerian players in Europe.
oh you were one of the writer's of that magazine? lol I used to buy at 100n if I remember quite well btw late 1993 till usa94 started... another one I also used to read was international soccer review
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CaptainStephen(m): 8:19pm On May 20, 2018
Chrismario:

I dae tell you.

Feels good reading old stuffs from our elders
yea oh, I have learnt a lot
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 8:30pm On May 20, 2018
asha80:
who said anything about knowing formations as a 7yr old? I knew players not formation.. I would wait to watch matches on tv then to see who wins, the goals and excitement .. it is from 1993 that I started getting ideas about formations.. no need to doubt all these things.. if you still doubt me go and check whether Canada 87 final against Soviet union was a sunshine match (as I alluded to ) or played under floodlight

Simple as ABC,from ur point above, it was from 93 when u were 13years u began to comprehend d game in depth cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:35pm On May 20, 2018
asha80:
oh you were one of the writer's of that magazine? lol I used to buy at 100n if I remember quite well btw late 1993 till usa94 started... another one I also used to read was international soccer review

As at 93-94 I had not started writing for them but I was an addict of their magazines. It was published monthly.

I wrote for them around 1997/98/99. Because of my passion for youth's football, I focused more on the progress of the U17 and U20 graduates. Some notable players I wrote about and they later became Super Stars were Gbenga Okunowo, Obafemi Martins(of course my boy from my hood), Ifeanyi Ideze, Haruna Babangida and a host of others. I was a University undergraduate then and was a freelance writer.

How it worked. You submit your article by the first week of a month. The editors will go then through it to see if it good enough for publishing and also do some little editing here and there and then it flies.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 8:36pm On May 20, 2018
elyte89:

Simple as ABC,from ur point above, it was from 93 when u were 13years u began to comprehend d game in depth cool
I once quoted you and said as at USA 94 (14yrs) I was aware of formations.. check your mentions.. don't see how it is different from what you are saying now... but you disagreed earlier that as an 8yr old one couldn't wait in apprehension to watch a match on tv
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 8:36pm On May 20, 2018
Mujtahida:

NTA sports channel 10. Rothmans of Pallmall(if I were to be a smoker, I'm sure na Rothmans I for smoke). I can still see myself going to Mukaila my friend's house to watch the matches. The only thing is that sometimes power supply would be unavailable. They will show last week's match this week and almost all the highlights.

...and that show is what finally nailed the coffin on our local league patronage. It made local matches uninteresting.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 8:40pm On May 20, 2018
mank1234:

...and that show is what finally nailed the coffin on our local league patronage. It made local matches uninteresting.
local league started getting uninteresting (at least to me) from 1991 long before European league's started showing on our local stations
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:50pm On May 20, 2018
mank1234:

You remember it abi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 9:02pm On May 20, 2018
Mujtahida:

You remember it abi

Very well. Euro (esp EPL) highlights on Saturday. South American league highlights on Wednesday night.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 9:03pm On May 20, 2018
Mujtahida:

You remember it abi
The nostalgia of those years.... Mehn. me sef, the way rothmanns were advertising smoking eh.... grin I for turn smoker if not for fear of God. lol.

They now used Lighthouse family's High song.... I'm still stuck on Tunde till now.

Rashidi Yekini's celebration was all over TV till God knew when.

Chai. all of una just wan show say una be old men fa? continue. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:05pm On May 20, 2018

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:07pm On May 20, 2018
ChrisKels:
Krattoss shebi u dey see wetin dey hpn for SA currently abi? Abeg mind what u post online these days before u go drag person name put for wetin him know nothing about

This thread is bigger than you can Imagine oo
what happened in South Africa and what did I do please?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:15pm On May 20, 2018
Paolo Gozzi Iweru, 17 year old Nigerian playing for Italy under 17.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:20pm On May 20, 2018
ChrisKels:

Haa who doesn't know Chinweizu Egbo? The boy that plays for Borrussia Monchenglabach. The one they call Mandela nah

I might be mistaken, but did he at what one time play for Crystal Palace?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 9:22pm On May 20, 2018
daveP:
The nostalgia of those years.... Mehn. me sef, the way rothmanns were advertising smoking eh.... grin I for turn smoker if not for fear of God. lol.

They now used Lighthouse family's High song.... I'm still stuck on Tunde till now.

Rashidi Yekini's celebration was all over TV till God knew when.

Chai. all of una just wan show say una be old men fa? continue. grin
I remember this song from the advert grin.

In the sky....some day
Sun's gonna shine on everything you do grin grin. I love that song.

There was ona advert about a Michael Powers in those days, I think it was a Guinness advert. I loved it too, I still have sketchy memories of the advert.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 9:22pm On May 20, 2018
elyte89:

Me I no believe una o

LMAO @ Chile 87 formation
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:24pm On May 20, 2018
charlesemeka85:
if they rate ebuehi why wasn't he capped in any of their youth teams? ebuehi came to prominence after joining up with the super eagles which helped his confidence to notch out superb performances in the colors of ado which made the dutch FA to notice him but it was late. ebuehi, aina,iwobi and ekong are case study for the nff. they mustn't wait till this foreign born kids rise to stardom before approaching them. once any have been noticed as a top prospect they should be approached and integrated to the teams set up before their country of birth comes calling. if such measures was taken a talent like lookman ademola would have been an integral part of our world cup team

Ademola was the the NFF radar and part of an initial talent scouting for U17 players quite some time ago.

But like most things Nigerian organised agent influence peddling with attachments became way you too much.

I personally withdrew from it all.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:25pm On May 20, 2018
komekn:

I might be mistaken, but did he at what one time play for Crystal Palace?

Yes he did...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 9:25pm On May 20, 2018
Thanks to the moniker that shared the new released Austino Milado's SE song.

I did enjoy it. But was shocked to hear that chief Ladipo is still the supporters' club chairman. Abeg how many years the man wan take be chairman? is it a life-long position or what?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 9:26pm On May 20, 2018
Icon4s:

As at 93-94 I had not started writing for them but I was an addict of their magazines. It was published monthly.

I wrote for them around 1997/98/99. Because of my passion for youth's football, I focused more on the progress of the U17 and U20 graduates. Some notable players I wrote about and they later became Super Stars were Gbenga Okunowo, Obafemi Martins(of course my boy from my hood), Ifeanyi Ideze, Haruna Babangida and a host of others. I was a University undergraduate then and was a freelance writer.

How it worked. You submit your article by the first week of a month. The editors will go then through it to see if it good enough for publishing and also do some little editing here and there and then it flies.
how were you able to gather information on these players considering the fact that there's no internet then, or did you know them personally?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 9:28pm On May 20, 2018
The World Cup is few days away. Till this moment, nothing has been heard from the supporter's club corner. I just hope we will not end up blowing vuvuzelas.

(1) (2) (3) ... (3593) (3594) (3595) (3596) (3597) (3598) (3599) ... (16328) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: waffiboi, enlady(f) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.