Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,248 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:24 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4951) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11594928 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4948) (4949) (4950) (4951) (4952) (4953) (4954) ... (16121) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 2:07pm On Oct 17, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

Don't mind Elyte... I remember he and Chriskels labelled Musa our most brainless player and winger all those times and they think we will forget it. Lol... The internet never forgets. We just choose to move past things and let some sleeping dogs lie... wink

Meanwhile, Musa is just 20 goals short of equaling Yekini's record... 20 goals pere grin grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 2:10pm On Oct 17, 2018
Curtisaxel7:

All the Ighalo haters have gone underground.

Safarigirl has gone on exile since Ighalo's exploits yesterday. grin

Last time she said she was writing an exam, who knows what her excuse will be today?grin

TheSupernerd nko? Nowhere to be found!grin
the last time I posted on this thread was on Saturday, so I don't know how you can say I went on exile since Tuesday. The same Saturday that I said I was still writing my Project, I understand you are suffering selective amnesia and have acute joblessness, that is why you think everyone should live and die on this thread. I have had moments of long absence here and it is not because of anything other than the fact that some people have lives outside NL.

I am still in school, writing my project and contrary to your beliefs, I am glad Ighalo has gotten his scoring boots for now. After all, just last week or so, I was telling AIG that it is not enough to say "drop Ighalo and Kelechi" especially when you have no replacements for them.

I am allowed to have a player I prefer and I am allowed to complain about a player when he is messing up and there is nobody I have not insulted at one time or the other on this thread, even the Kelechi. The difference between me and the Kelechi haters is that I won't wait for Ighalo to have bad game and rise from the ashes and I won't hide when people like you think they can dance on my head. See, I am no coward, which is more than I can say for those who hate on Kelechi.

Ighalo has hit his usual green patch, I hope he retains it and 5 goals is a great boost for his tally. At least everyone can calm down for now.

*goes back to my real life*

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:11pm On Oct 17, 2018
superbloke:

Someone criticizes Ighalo for his poor run of form in GWG, you tag him hater.

Ighalo puts in a great performance and scores goals, you shout “where are the haters”

The “hater” praises Ighalo for his great games and improved form, you call him chameleon.

What exactly do you want? For people to grovel at your feet and name you the one that must not be questioned? It shows how emotional, rather than analytical as they'd like us to believe, people on this thread can be. A lot of people are more concerned about being right and able to say “I told you so” than seeing the team progress even if it is in a way different from how we want.

Ofcourse this goes both ways (both “camps”).

I cannot add to this... Well said Again Superbloke. I don't know you much but it is clear that The "Super" in your name is indeed not for moniker decoration. Thumbs up my good man.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 2:12pm On Oct 17, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
You really never can tell but I just want to believe such actions was not undertaken by anyone here.

Besides, it was on Instagram the threats were predominantly made. And I am not even on Instagram but I know some of what happens on Instagram thanks to a bypass I know.

And I really think the person that should be getting the most credits here is GERNOT ROHR. If he had not stuck to Iggy, he would not have been given the time to translate his Kung Fu form and confidence to the GWG. Ighalo repaid Rohr's confidence... But Rohr gets all the credits. The decision to stick to a once fruitless striker in the GWG and using his China form as the perfect excuse to justify his decisions paid off handsomely and the team is better served for such decision. On this I score Rohr 10/10.

You have said it all jare... Rohr knew what he was risking by sticking with Ighalo though I think Rohr was preparer to give Ighalo his last chance against Libya that prompted the recall of Isaac Success...
Rohr has made a lot of gambles since he took over but I think Uzoho and Ighalo case paid off the most...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SlayerForever: 2:20pm On Oct 17, 2018
Mhoyorsawreh1:

Aina really need to improve, also i noticed he loves playing offensively than defensively. Probably because he once said he preferred RW

Hahahaha. Is that so? Then he's a clown.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:20pm On Oct 17, 2018
Danielnino00:

You have said it all jare... Rohr knew what he was risking by sticking with Ighalo though I think Rohr was preparer to give Ighalo his last chance against Libya that prompted the recall of Isaac Success...
Rohr has made a lot of gambles since he took over but I think Uzoho and Ighalo case paid off the most...

I would love to see Rohr improve on his game management tactics and his decision making timings and would also love him to please and please prioritize the CAM role for a new player to come in and offer a more balanced alternative but even in the midst of his flaws and "Onigbinde-rish stiffness" grin as described/well defined by some here, I think we should all be grateful that his stubbornness and stiffness have yielded a fruitful Ighalo in the GWG at a critical time in our AfconQ campaign.

Sometimes, Stiffness does make the world go round... Only sometimes... Hehehehehehe

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SlayerForever: 2:24pm On Oct 17, 2018
forgiveness:

Na Phillip we need.

It's looking likely we'll need the young man. Though I don't know how good the guy is in certain qualities e.g playmaking, ball carrying, distributing passes, breaking opposition play, creativeness etc.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Triniti(m): 2:24pm On Oct 17, 2018
Danielnino00:

Agreed he deserved the criticism, but certainly not death threats on his family... Nobody does .. Though I don't think anybody on thus thread would have stooped so low to send threats to his family..It must have come from those social media followers of his..

Ighalo is quite lucky though.. Another coach would have discarded him after the world cup but Rohr didn't...
I imagine how much threat Yakubu received for his miss against south Korea .. His club form afterward wasn't even enough to convince Nigerians...
I’m talking about criticism on here, you know how delusional guys on instagram can be. About threat, once you become a public figure,develop a thick skin and do your best
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:26pm On Oct 17, 2018
Danielnino00:

Meanwhile, Musa is just 20 goals short of equaling Yekini's record... 20 goals pere grin grin

Wow... I better publish updated stats of our current forwards then... Yekini's record have stood tall for too long... I think it is about time we shift it to second place... wink

We can shaku shaku our way to a new record... grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:40pm On Oct 17, 2018
Super Eagles goalscoring and assists stats: The current forwards and wing forwards/wingers

Ahmed Musa: 17 goals, 11+ assists in 76 appearances.

Odion Jude Ighalo: 10 goals, 2 assists in 25 appearances.

Kelechi Iheanacho: 8 goals, 6 assists in 21 appearances.

Victor Moses (retired): 12 goals, 7+ assists in 38 appearances.

Moses Simon: 4 goals, 2 assists in 21 appearances.

Samuel Kalu: 1 goal, 1 assist in 3 appearances.

Yekini's record: 37 goals, 3+ assists in 57 appearances.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SlayerForever: 2:43pm On Oct 17, 2018
Eseose9:

Reason why I hardly visit this thread.So many emotional people even me way be woman don't think that way. Any small mistake: drop this player,invite this one ,invite that one,sack the coach etc.Haba!!!
Anyway Odion Jude Igahlo Where are your ACCUSERS?

The coach/team is not awesome yet but the truth is this: Analyzing football objectively and wholesomely as is proper,should be left to mature people.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:54pm On Oct 17, 2018
tbaba1234:

There were limited options, his best option was to shoot.. Ighalo was the only one in the box and he was not really in a good position.

I think Collins has done a competent job.

I think Collins is better than Ikouwem defensively.

No big deal but he could have passed the ball long before he shot it. I have no problem with the decision he took but we are saying he is so much better going forward than Idowu and that is not true at least from what he has shown us.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 2:57pm On Oct 17, 2018
Danielnino00:

Agreed he deserved the criticism, but certainly not death threats on his family... Nobody does .. Though I don't think anybody on thus thread would have stooped so low to send threats to his family..It must have come from those social media followers of his..

Ighalo is quite lucky though.. Another coach would have discarded him after the world cup but Rohr didn't...
I imagine how much threat Yakubu received for his miss against south Korea .. His club form afterward wasn't even enough to convince Nigerians...

Who told you yakubu club form wasn't good enough after that Miss ? That miss was at the 2010 World Cup ,during 2011/12 season yakubu scored 17 Epl goals in 30 games,the eagles coach then should be an hypocrite and not bold enough to call him,if someone should follow the opinions of Nigerians the person go fall inside lagoon

If rohr had listen to Nigerians by not calling ighalo what will he gain ? As if we even have better strikers .

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:59pm On Oct 17, 2018
Afobear Nwa'm... Sorry u hia... This was a bad international week for you my man. Two bad days in the office... back to back sadness at our Super Eagles soaring... Eh yeaa... Wait till November to sing your Averageeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee3eeeee3eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee song...

Loooollzz

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 2:59pm On Oct 17, 2018
Eseose9:
Exclusive: Nigeria hero Odion Ighalo nearly quit after death threats

COLIN UDOH West Africa Editor, Kwesé ESPN
SFAX, Tunisia --

It was a long and nightmarish northern summer for Nigeria striker Odion Ighalo, who has rebounded to not only top of the scoring list in these Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers, but worm his way back into the hearts of Super Eagles fans.
After a dire World Cup campaign, where he was roundly blamed for the defeat to Argentina that saw the Africans crash out of the tournament, he's gone on to score five goals in two qualifier games against Libya.
Scoring a hat-trick, he heard his name sung from the stands as he was subbed off after 75 minutes of the first game on the weekend. He was then serenaded by supporters in the second game on Tuesday, as he scored twice and provided one assist.
Beaming as he deflected personal praise in his first interview since the World Cup, the trademark Ighalo smile, which had been dimmed for months, flashed as he pointed to team effort instead.
"The team really worked hard, it is a good team performance and I am happy to score five goals in two games but it is an all-round performance and I am happy with the team performance.
"We are 99 per cent sealed the ticket to the Cup of Nations," he told KweséESPN in an exclusive interview in Sfax, Tunisia, where the second match was played.
But all of this nearly did not happen. Sitting down in the changing room of the Taieb Mhiri Stadium, Ighalo reflected on what has been a challenging last few months for him and his family.
For a fleeting moment, the ever-present smile turned wry, then retreated as Ighalo opened about on how he and his family -- including his children -- endured vitriolic abuse, and even received death threats on social media, after a World Cup performance where even he admitted he had not played up to his own high standards.
Things got so bad, Ighalo said, that he came this close to packing it all in.
"I know the fans want me to score goals. I understand them," the China-based striker said. "But some of them took it to another level.
"They said a lot of things. To my innocent kids, to my wife, even to the extent they threatened my life and the life of my family."
Despite trying to remain above it all and not respond to critics, he was deeply hurt by the attacks on his family, especially his children.
"I felt very bad [when they went after my family]. I had to talk to my wife because she could not take it. Some words they said about my kids, about me. Some words they said to her, threatening and all that. That is beyond football.
"You know women and how they react when you talk about their children. But I never said a word to nobody and I never replied anybody."
He did not have to take any action to protect his family, as they live in England while he plays in China for Changchun Yatai. But with all of that going on, it was only natural that the forward wanted to quit, especially when his wife advised him to.
"My wife said 'you don't have to go there [to Nigeria] any more' and it was because of all what they said to her and to our family."
It took national team coach Gernot Rohr's intervention to convince Ighalo to come back and suit up in green and white again.
Ighalo explained: "I want to thank Rohr because after the World Cup and all those things happened, he called me before the Seychelles game [in September] and I told him I was contemplating stopping because it is not easy.
"But the coach had belief in me. He said 'I know you are a good goalscorer and I know you can do it. Come and show them that you can score.'
"If a coach believes in me, then I will come. I told hm 'coach, if I am in your plans hundred percent then I will honour the invitation any time you call me.'
"He said 'yes, you you are in my plans for the games'. Then he said 'don't be under pressure, just go do your thing, I know you can do it.'
"That gave me the confidence which I believed that I needed. I want to thank him for defending me, and giving me the words like a father, encouraging me, talking to me. He gave me more belief and I thank God for repaying him with these goals."
Ighalo has since disabled comments on his Instagram account, where he is still active, and rarely appears in front of the media. And he has no intention of changing that decision anytime soon.
So does he feel like he has proven all those doubters wrong?
"I am not trying to prove anybody wrong," he said. "I am just trying to work hard for my country and I always give hundred percent.
"Unfortunately, it didn't happen the way I wanted it at the World Cup. But life did not end there. I went back to my club, and I continued my game.
"Now I am back here to play for my country. I just want to give hundred percent whenever I play, goal or no goal. As long as the team wins, I am satisfied."
Nigeria's next Afcon qualifier is against South Africa on 16 November.

http://kwese.espn.com/football/nigeria/story/3671428/nigeria-hero-ighalo-nearly-quit-after-death-threats?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Ehya. No wonder Rohr was so happy when he scored in Uyo smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Afobear: 3:06pm On Oct 17, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Afobear Nwa'm... Sorry u hia... This was a bad international week for you my man. Two bad days in the office... back to back sadness at our Super Eagles soaring... Eh yeaa... Wait till November to sing your Averageeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee3eeeee3eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee song...

Loooollzz

Worry not Sir ,I have had some drugs to calm me but guess who is coming to the Feast

La Gwarra Gwarra

1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SlayerForever: 3:07pm On Oct 17, 2018
elyte89:

Good talk bro...main reason y I wonder y some peeps here go emotional at odas ppu opinion, to d extent say some fit dey keep.malice with whom dey av never interacted with in real life grin grin grin

Keeping malice on an online thread; Age is only a number after all. Old men behaving like kids. Agbayas <=> Ndi agidi n'agwo ofe.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 3:08pm On Oct 17, 2018
Eseose9:

Annoyingly thing is that I am pro Iheanacho but you won't see me castigating Igahlo,insulting or blaming him for any mistakes the team makes simply because he is benching My fav player.No!!! They are all Nigerians and we should support,love,criticize them equally. See the way Kelechi was very happy for Igahlo after he scored. ThankGod they don't visit this thread (I hope so) Because the comments here can cause bad blood and beef amongst players

I don't know why most people here think that if one loves Iheanacho,then he automatically hates Ighalo. That's shallow thinking to me. For me,I love both players and it's gonna stay that way cool.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 3:08pm On Oct 17, 2018
komekn:

One word for you.

Camelion

If there is a camelion in this thread then that should be you and your twin brother

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:09pm On Oct 17, 2018
Afobear:

Worry not Sir ,I have had some drugs to calm me but guess who is coming to the Feast

La Gwarra Gwarra

Lol... Yeah with Mr.Bones as coach of this gwarra gwarra team...

Don't worry, the Eagles will land when the time comes...

But before that day comes, any last words?

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 3:11pm On Oct 17, 2018
Humility017:

that' was really bad.
threatening his wife and kids.
football in nigeria is like a religion everyone belongs to...
I must sincerely applaud the German coach...whose conservatism paid off.
He gave him Apple time to redeem himself and the dude grabbed it with both hands.
. Sometimes in life,you just need that ONE person to believe in you and everything will fall in place. Kudos to Rohr

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:27pm On Oct 17, 2018
Just that ONE person.... True words man. Kudos Sir Cool for this truly cool comment. It is GBAM-ish.

COOL10:
. Sometimes in life,you just need that ONE person to believe in you and everything will fall in place. Kudos to Rohr

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:08pm On Oct 17, 2018
Lol
Danielnino00:

Oga,d way u reply to my mention.dy confuse me at times o... grin .. But I get this one...

Rohr's stiff-neckness finally paid off... grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Afobear: 4:19pm On Oct 17, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

Lol... Yeah with Mr.Bones as coach of this gwarra gwarra team...

Don't worry, the Eagles will land when the time comes...

But before that day comes, any last words?
yes , practice your Gwarra Gwarra steps

1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 4:29pm On Oct 17, 2018
zuchyblink:
Rohr should invite billing as replacement for Ndidi
I hope Rohr knows this. cos I see Onazi coming back instead. a pity.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:34pm On Oct 17, 2018
Afobear:
yes , practice your Gwarra Gwarra steps

Okay noted.... And then the dance will end like this in favor of the Eagles

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 4:36pm On Oct 17, 2018
Joebie:
I just watched the replay of the match.

I want to say, as it stands,
we top the group and we would likely win our last two games. I’m impressed with the outcomes of our games but I’m not impressed with our play. But well, it’s better to win and not play well, than the other way around. In an ideal world, I would like to see SE really stamp their authority in the way they string their passes and control the game. Well, I can’t complain. We are doing the needed.

The pocket of spaces the Libyans got behind our midfield was too too much and I wonder why our coach was seeing this and was simple watching and even sting late. He should have subbed off Etebo and brought in Ogu, but he was doing that late after their comeback. Note well the areas they got their setpieces to score.

Aina was drawing back instead of challenging for the ball for that second goal.

Ndidi I expected to behave just made me sad. Or should I blame Rohr no thinking he could play all 90, get tired and with the DMF tole in him, not expect him to foul players?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 4:36pm On Oct 17, 2018
Hanibal:
And I wonder why the most active contributors on this thread always go silent during and immediately after a match, allowing these professional bashers and negative people have a filled day...
Is it a planned something?
Lol. You go tire o if you dey allow that one worry you. Yeah I know ignoring such is hard, but hmm. wetin man go do?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 4:42pm On Oct 17, 2018
Danielnino00:

Shebi he is 25yrs old.

If he scores 4goals per year for the GWG for the next 5yrs, he would equal it. What dyu think? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:45pm On Oct 17, 2018
Thank you, my dear. You and a few others are like a breath of fresh air in this forum; because sometimes I wonder whether some folks are watching the same game as me. It's often when I read certain posts that I realized that I hadn't watched a different game from everyone else.

Unbelievable!

O pari

tbaba1234:

There were limited options, his best option was to shoot.. Ighalo was the only one in the box and he was not really in a good position.

I think Collins has done a competent job.

I think Collins is better than Ikouwem defensively.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 4:47pm On Oct 17, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Super Eagles goalscoring and assists stats: The current forwards and wing forwards/wingers

Ahmed Musa: 17 goals, 11+ assists in 76 appearances.

Odion Jude Ighalo: 10 goals, 2 assists in 25 appearances.

Kelechi Iheanacho: 8 goals, 6 assists in 21 appearances.

Victor Moses (retired): 12 goals, 7+ assists in 38 appearances.

Moses Simon: 4 goals, 2 assists in 21 appearances.

Samuel Kalu: 1 goal, 1 assist in 3 appearances.

Yekini's record: 37 goals, 3+ assists in 57 appearances.

Only Kelechi can get closer to Yekini's record under the same number of games provided he scores every 2games in GWG.

Kelechi can also break the record but with a higher number of games.

He can get 50+ goals in the number of app as Musa's!!! @76

As regards Kalu, he will need to be a Lionel Messi to even break Obagoal's own record, or Odegbami's.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kalapizim(m): 5:03pm On Oct 17, 2018
Humility017:

that' was really bad.
threatening his wife and kids.
football in nigeria is like a religion everyone belongs to...
I must sincerely applaud the German coach...whose conservatism paid off.
He gave him Apple time to redeem himself and the dude grabbed it with both hands.
its now becoming clearer why moses might have chosen to retire, he might have received such threats too.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (4948) (4949) (4950) (4951) (4952) (4953) (4954) ... (16121) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: BascoVanVeli(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.