Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,223 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:41 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (6684) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11594398 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6681) (6682) (6683) (6684) (6685) (6686) (6687) ... (16121) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:31am On Jul 21, 2019
Omeruo was undisputedly Nigeria's best Defender at Afcon 2019. Everything else you are saying now is off tangent. Speaking on Afcon 2019, Omeruo rose to the occasion more than any other defender for us followed by Awaziem. That is the Beautiful truth.

ChrisKels:

U mean calamity Omeruo grin

Bros Omeruo is a rope of sand. He is way too susceptible to elementary errors for my liking. Ekong is the worst sef

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 1:20am On Jul 21, 2019
TheSuperNerd:
Salif Sane reached the final with Senegal. Why wasn't he considered? What about Mandi of Algeria?

Truth is Omeruo outshone all these guys. Even Koulibaly made it based on his fame. He had to defend against Forwards from Benin, Uganda, Tanzania, Kenya with only Algeria and Tunisia providing real tests while Omeruo had to battle against Forwards from Cameroun, Guinea, Burundi (with Fiston Razak- Qualifiers 2nd top scorer), South Africa, Algeria and Tunisia... All tough tests. He didn't feature against Madagascar.

In games Omeruo featured, we registered 3 clean sheets. That's the clean sheet angle.

Omeruo was never beaten man for man throughout the tourney. Koulibaly was. Mandi was. Even Awaziem held same stat till the semis. But Omeuro finished with this stat intact despite the quality he faced unlike Koulibaly.

You raised some good points

However, the Judges feel appearing in the final is more important. I guess they based their choices on this

I am sure that if Ighalo hadn't scored the highest number of goals, he might have never been considered

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 1:22am On Jul 21, 2019
andrew444:

Those ones don't need to announce o ,but they won't call those ones anymore

Sure banker

Even Rohr had hinted at it

These are the real calamity players of the team

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 1:23am On Jul 21, 2019
sheyishemba:

lolzzz I jex dey happy for those boys niii when these dude are performing no one is talking about them rather they are talking about nacho wey hit bar.... aribo also scored for rangers too .. am really keened of this eze dude he also had an assist yesterday Amos sef I dey watch am too (awon omo ologo 6G)

Word bro

You get eyes.

Me, I no go waste time and data on top players wey don decide to destroy their careers by themselves

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 1:25am On Jul 21, 2019
ChrisKels:

If I slap that ur yeye face u go stop laffin by force.

Lol bro Omeruo and Ekong na hypertension CBs abeg. Both are too erratic. Balo is better than both, and Rohr must be mad to think of discarding him

Balo was worse than both in this AFCON

He was in Brighton and he couldn't even stake a claim to the first team.

Current form is what a manager looks at and not past glory.

As bad as you may think Ekong and Omeruo were, they weren't as poor as Balogun in the just concluded season

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 1:28am On Jul 21, 2019
Danielnino00:

Do we have a reliable striker?

Let me remind you that Ighalo himself wasn't reliable in the national team even when he was in form at Watford .He lost his starting shirt to a younger and untested Iheanacho .Iheanacho rose to the occasion until he lost form...Ighalo was recalled to replace Iheanacho...
We have Osimhen, Odey and Awoniyi...another prolific striker may emerge this season,u never know..

so to answer your question, we don't know if we have a reliable striker (as per national team form) until they are given the same kind of opportunity Iheanacho and Ighalo got ..

You see what kills our football is over dependence on players that are not even consistent. We over depended on Mikel till he flopped at AFCON

I will take any of these young guys anytime

Ighalo should jejely retire. Its not by force!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 1:33am On Jul 21, 2019
somehow:
Wikipedia of all sources?

I also dont think its ok to host right now. The ethnic and political rubbish going on right boa not healthy.
when is it the right time to host huh.

Everytime Na so excuses una go dey give..

Thank God say una no dey at helm of affairs

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 1:36am On Jul 21, 2019
Danielnino00:

FIFA specifically asked Nigeria to host the tournament after India and South Korea pulled out..
FIFA officials would be in Nigeria this week for inspection...
The security situation may posse a challenge, but then is there any country that has hosted a FIFA competition with no security threat?
Even Egypt that just hosted the AFCON isn't entirely safe in some parts..

it's a 16 nation tournament.. we can host it... make FG just provide the necessary funds...
Brazil that hosted 2014 world cup amidst protests from citizens yet it was a success.

Let me tell you.. Nigeria dey learn from violence for where Brazil dey.

If u doubt..ask
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 2:10am On Jul 21, 2019
Gun jumper
krattoss:
when is it the right time to host huh.

Everytime Na so excuses una go dey give..

Thank God say una no dey at helm of affairs
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 2:35am On Jul 21, 2019
ChrisKels:

Amunike did better with a less talented Tanzanian team than Rohr did with a much better Burkinafaso, Gabon and Niger national teams respectively. Give Tanzania to Rohr, and he wouldn't qualify them for the Afcon
he failed to lead our U-20 to Africa nations cup, loosing to Sudan at home even Aigboscam did better
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by peterd53(m): 3:30am On Jul 21, 2019
Ebuehi got 10 minutes of action.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake2: 7:08am On Jul 21, 2019
somehow:
Yet they qualified to the AfCON. Amunike tried. Give him a team blessed with a rich pool of players and watch him perform.

He had a better squad than Namibia, Benin and Mauritania, Madagascar yet he was the worst performing manager in the AFCON

What was he going to do with a better team?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:40am On Jul 21, 2019
This shirt below deserves a special place in the Algerian museum

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sportilitica: 7:47am On Jul 21, 2019
TheSuperNerd:

Omeruo was undisputedly Nigeria's best Defender at Afcon 2019. Everything else you are saying now is off tangent. Speaking on Afcon 2019, Omeruo rose to the occasion more than any other defender for us followed by Awaziem. That is the Beautiful truth.

Awazeim was better than Omeruo in this tournament if you consider that he was played out of position and still held his own. He hardly put any foot wrong all through those matches. Omeruo is a good player with some inconsistences but i would not compare him to Kolibaly who is a better and more consistent defender. Overhyping our players is what leads our unreal expectations

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:47am On Jul 21, 2019
While our boys were busy going on a strike and fighting for money in an important tourney, this is what Algeria was found doing;

Bahgdad Bouhneja: “We play for Algeria, we don't play for money, we don't play for fame. When I enter the stadium(in the fennecs shirt), I only play for Algeria, I have nothing else I play for”.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:54am On Jul 21, 2019
Danielnino00:

Let me remind you that Ighalo himself wasn't reliable in the national team even when he was in form at Watford .He lost his starting shirt to a younger and untested Iheanacho .Iheanacho rose to the occasion until he lost form...Ighalo was recalled to replace Iheanacho...
We have Osimhen, Odey and Awoniyi...another prolific striker may emerge this season,u never know..

so to answer your question, we don't know if we have a reliable striker (as per national team form) until they are given the same kind of opportunity Iheanacho and Ighalo got ..

Reliable is open to debate.

The basis for National team call up is consistent continous top class outstanding performances. Both KC and Ighalo met the criteria. But Ighalo more so with consistent performances over several seasons.

Unfortunately one season is a pointer or should be to better things to come but not conclusive. KC surrounded by top class players at City we now know flattered to DECIEVE. He is literally a one season wonder.

Both Chukwueze and Osimhen face different challenges this season that will determine thier progress. Chukwueze will notice that he is no longer unknown to defenders, they will have studied him things will no longer be as easy. Osimhen it seems will be going to the French league one, another challenge to overcome it will not also be easy Belguim league is not French league.

Meanwhile other strikers and forward players are not asleep. Odey is steadily but quietly climbing learning too without too many eyes on him. Awoniyi for me could be a new option he has the physicality to do well in striker position but does he have the finishing to excel I dont know.

Meanwhile there are many that are in the English league system that are progressing. Who knows

For me in the absence of any real option first choice striker CURRENTLY hate or like him for me is Onuachu.

Osimhen is unable for now play that role and is not better than Onuachu.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clementoke(m): 7:55am On Jul 21, 2019
ChrisKels:
While our boys were busy going on a strike and fighting for money in an important tourney, this is what Algeria was found doing;

Bahgdad Bouhneja: “We play for Algeria, we don't play for money, we don't play for fame. When I enter the stadium(in the fennecs shirt), I only play for Algeria, I have nothing else I play for”.

So what (or who) were they playing for when they failed to win the AFCON all this years or qualify for the last world cup? grin grin grin grin
The truth is that any victorious team would have said that.
Congratulations to them anyways.

Note: I'm not in any way taking sides with our players for holding the country to ransom

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 7:59am On Jul 21, 2019
Dont know if this has been posted here before now. Valentine Ozornwafor made his debut for Galatasary versus RB Lepzig on Friday...
Coming in midway in the second-half, after the Gala defence had already let in 3 goals in a 2-3 loss.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:01am On Jul 21, 2019
Sportilitica:

Awazeim was better than Omeruo in this tournament if you consider that he was played out of position and still held his own. He hardly put any foot wrong all through those matches. Omeruo is a good player with some inconsistences but i would not compare him to Kolibaly who is a better and more consistent defender. Overhyping our players is what leads our unreal expectations

Awaziem was the WEAKEST link he had no pace and was luck not be sent off against Algeria.

He played an intelligent game of playing within his limitations, but almost every 1 on 1 with the Algerians he lost.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clementoke(m): 8:03am On Jul 21, 2019
ChrisKels:
Dont know if this has been posted here before now. Valentine Ozornwafor made his debut for Galatasary versus RB Lepzig on Friday...
Coming in midway in the second-half, after the Gala defence had already let in 3 goals in a 2-3 loss.

Wao
That's encouraging

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by timay(m): 8:49am On Jul 21, 2019
Danielnino00:

I'm telling you bro.

It's funny how Ighalo's internet foot soldiers are parading the guy as reliable, when he was never a reliable striker in the first place.

SMH

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by timay(m): 8:54am On Jul 21, 2019
somehow:
I understand but don't think it's the right time to host.

There is never a good time to host any tournament. Because ni country in the world enjoys absolute peace. There will always be one security challenge or the other. Even FIFA themselves know this. Or you think FIFA that specifically requested for Nigeria to host doesn't know about our security situation?

Moreover, we are spending little money to host, as FIFA are dropping $4million upfront for the preparation. And we have stadiums that needs little touches. UYo stadium is in perfect condition and it doesn't need any repairs. The Lagos stadium is good, Abuja was rejuvenated recently during last year National sport festival, they will only do little finishing touches.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by timay(m): 8:58am On Jul 21, 2019
Bolowolowo:
I doubt Nigeria will host the U-20 Women’s World Cup. The female football world often disparages Nigeria for its lack of openness to homosexual players on its team. I even recall during the coverage of the WWC, while European teams got those positive, inspiring documentary videos, Nigeria was often criticized by commentators for its LGBT laws.

I won’t be surprised if that transgendered Rapinoe and her leftist minions, speak out against the tourney hosts.

Then no African countries will host FIFA tournament again niyen, aside south Africa, cos those assholes should know that almost 75-80% of African countries are not Pro-LGBT with one anti LGBT law or the other. So that one na trash talk.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sportilitica: 9:45am On Jul 21, 2019
komekn:

Awaziem was the WEAKEST link he had no pace and was luck not be sent off against Algeria.

He played an intelligent game of playing within his limitations, but almost every 1 on 1 with the Algerians he lost.
Intelligent is the right word. Remember that he is not a right back

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sportilitica: 9:47am On Jul 21, 2019
timay:

I'm telling you bro.

It's funny how Ighalo's internet foot soldiers are parading the guy as reliable, when he was never a reliable striker in the first place.

SMH
So who are the strikers that we have. No wonder they are all leaving as we dont appreciate what we have until they are gone. We will overhype the present bunch until they fail to deliver then we go for their heads.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:03am On Jul 21, 2019
Sportilitica:

Intelligent is the right word. Remember that he is not a right back

Then why on earth would Rohr play him in that position as if we didn't have other options.

He was always at best Ok very intelligently he would not come forward a lot because he didnt have the pace to get back and cover.

The Algerians identified him as a weak link from the onset of the game. Colin on the other hand had some pace but nit exceptional and no football intelligence another weak link.

But all this is academic talk after the event. We need aggressive player recruitment without politics. Players currently performing.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:18am On Jul 21, 2019
Sportilitica:

So who are the strikers that we have. No wonder they are all leaving as we dont appreciate what we have until they are gone. We will overhype the present bunch until they fail to deliver then we go for their heads.

Nigeria is too big a football nation to lack strikers... when Emenike retired we said the same thing that he will be missed...then Iheanacho and Ighalo stepped up.

I don't get why some of u aren't keen on us trying out new strikers!!

You think if we had decided to go and beg Emenike to come back in 2014, Ighalo and Iheanacho would have gotten their chance to impress? hell no!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sportilitica: 10:18am On Jul 21, 2019
On the goal we conceded against Algeria, people have been blaming Akpeyi(dude is poor by the way) however i would want us to go see the goal conceded by Bayern when they played Madrid recently in a friendly. The goals are similar and Neuer was in goal so let no one blame Akpeyi for that goal. Mahrez scored a classy goal that day.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sportilitica: 10:19am On Jul 21, 2019
Danielnino00:

Nigeria is too big a football nation to lack strikers... when Emenike retired we said the same thing that he will be missed...then Iheanacho and Ighalo stepped up.

I don't get why some of u aren't keen on us trying out new strikers!!

You think if we had decided to go and beg Emenike to come back in 2014, Ighalo and Iheanacho would have gotten their chance to impress? hell no!

Beg? Nope? Appreciate? Yes!!! We are so quick to condemn and castigate. The upcoming players are watching too
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sportilitica: 10:22am On Jul 21, 2019
komekn:

Then why on earth would Rohr play him in that position as if we didn't have other options.

He was always at best Ok very intelligently he would not come forward a lot because he didnt have the pace to get back and cover.

The Algerians identified him as a weak link from the onset of the game. Colin on the other hand had some pace but nit exceptional and no football intelligence another weak link.

But all this is academic talk after the event. We need aggressive player recruitment without politics. Players currently performing.

Some people celebrated Shehu's injury forgetting that we really did not have back up. Some people were even celebrating Igahlo's injury during the third place match until Osihmen came in and could not fit in immediately. Awazeim tried in that position but there is so much one can do.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:23am On Jul 21, 2019
Sportilitica:

Beg? Nope? Appreciate? Yes!!! We are so quick to condemn and castigate. The upcoming players are watching too
And what make u think Nigerians haven't appreciated him?/
Abi u think this thread represents the opinion of over 100 million Nigerian football fans?
Visit Ighalo's social media pages and u will see the appreciation there.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 10:31am On Jul 21, 2019
Danielnino00:

And what make u think Nigerians haven't appreciated him?/
Abi u think this thread represents the opinion of over 100 million Nigerian football fans?
Visit Ighalo's social media pages and u will see the appreciation there.

Ighalo comments have been locked since the World Cup

(1) (2) (3) ... (6681) (6682) (6683) (6684) (6685) (6686) (6687) ... (16121) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: solonnachi, waffiboi, humility33(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.