Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,406 members, 7,812,200 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:57 AM

Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! (8071 Views)

Don’t Go Abroad For Medicare Throughout Your Four Years – LP Tells Buhari / APC Should Let Buhari Seek Medicare Abroad - Ayo Fayose / Nigerian Indicted In $42m Fraud In Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! by Ndipe(m): 8:45pm On Jul 27, 2009
Nigerian Indicted In $42 Million Health Care Fraud
July 27, 2009 15:40 (4 hours ago), 125 views

A Nigeria native who lives in Houston has been indicted on charges he sought $42 million in false Medicare and Medicaid claims by paying folks $100 each to sign blank health care forms he would later submit for reimbursement.

Umawa Oke Imo, 54, a permanent resident alien in the United States and native of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, was indicted last week but first charged and detained in June.

He’s accused of using an improperly staffed physical therapy clinic called City Nursing Services of Texas to conspire to commit health care fraud, mail fraud and money laundering, U.S. Attorney Tim Johnson and Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott announced. The clinic is at 9888 Bissonnet.

In a 36-count indictment, Imo is accused of paying recruiters to refer “patients” and paying those people $100 to sign numerous blank health care claim forms that were falsely submitted to the government though no care was rendered. Prosecutors allege Imo paid even more to keep patients from reporting the fraud to authorities once they saw claims had been made in their names.

Imo’s lawyer Ralph Martinez, who said he’s paid by Imo’s family in Nigeria because Imo’s funds are frozen, said his client was just one of many investors is this and two other clinics and had little to do with the day-to-day running of the clinic.

“He never saw patients. This is about people caught red-handed trying to curry favour with the government by blaming my client,” Martinez said.

The $42 million in billing was put through from 2007 to April 2009. Medicare paid more than $27 million and Medicaid nearly $3 million to City Nursing, prosecutors said.

The government alleges there was a cheque for $1 million made to Imo himself.

Martinez said his client, who initially had a public defender, does not live a lavish lifestyle. His home in Richmond has an appraised value of $283,340.

This was a joint investigation involving the FBI, IRS, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and state Medicaid fraud control.
http://thepmnews.com/2009/07/27/nigerian-indicted-in-42-million-health-care-fraud
Re: Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! by platinumnk(f): 8:52pm On Jul 27, 2009
embarassed  Shame shame lipsrsealed

Come on, u really cant fraud the govt, eventually they will AUDIT you!

My dad who has a medical business, gets audited about once every 3 years, you cant run from them.

What u do in the dark with defintely come out in the light.  angry
Re: Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! by snowdrops(m): 8:52pm On Jul 27, 2009
Re: Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! by AloyEmeka: 11:26pm On Jul 27, 2009
platinumnk:

If im not mistaken, then man is an igbo man embarassed  Shame shame lipsrsealed

Come on, u really cant fraud the govt, eventually they will AUDIT you!

My dad who has a medical business, gets audited about once every 3 years, you cant run from them.

What u do in the dark with defintely come out in the light.  angry
That is the only thing you saw about the story?. he is no more a Nigerian rather, he is better known as an igbo man. Your stupidity and tribal lens will not let you know any other thing in Nigeria besides tribalism.  First and foremost, there is no name like that in igboland. may be he is from middle belt or mid west but certainly not igbo but who cares where he is from?.

Also it's called defrauding the govt and not fraud the govt. Didn't your non igbo  father spend the money he makes in his medical business in your school?.

Please, your lips are too dark from smoking so, you need to stop smoking. I am sure you smoke ganja too and thats why the only thing you discovered about the story is his ethnicity. You are giving that boy in your picture second hand smoke and I know he is already disabled. Cancer will be more load on him. I beg you in the name of God.
Re: Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! by nwauwa(m): 12:08am On Jul 28, 2009
Aloy Emeka:

Please, your lips are too dark from smoking so, you need to stop smoking. I am sure you smoke ganja too and thats why the only thing you discovered about the story is his ethnicity. You are giving that boy in your picture second hand smoke and I know he is already disabled. Cancer will be more load on him. I beg you in the name of God.
LWKD
Aloy,the babe na igbo girl too,biko e gbula ya. grin
Re: Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! by AloyEmeka: 12:22am On Jul 28, 2009
She is igbo and does not know the name is not anything near igbo?. Ana m anu. But what has the criminal's tribe got to do with this issue?
Re: Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! by MrCrackles(m): 12:29am On Jul 28, 2009
Aloy Emeka:

Please, your lips are too dark from smoking so, you need to stop smoking. I am sure you smoke ganja too and thats why the only thing you discovered about the story is his ethnicity.  You are giving that boy in your picture second hand smoke and I know he is already disabled. Cancer will be more load on him. I beg you in the name of God.

Oh God!
Re: Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! by Afaukwu: 1:34am On Jul 28, 2009
That man is from Akwa Ibom. The name is very clear.
Re: Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! by platinumnk(f): 1:39am On Jul 28, 2009
That is the only thing you saw about the story?. he is no more a Nigerian rather, he is better known as an igbo man. Your stupidity and tribal lens will not let you know any other thing in Nigeria besides tribalism.  First and foremost, there is no name like that in igboland. may be he is from middle belt or mid west but certainly not igbo but who cares where he is from?.

Also it's called defrauding the govt and not fraud the govt. Didn't your non igbo  father spend the money he makes in his medical business in your school?.

Please, your lips are too dark from smoking so, you need to stop smoking. I am sure you smoke ganja too and thats why the only thing you discovered about the story is his ethnicity.  You are giving that boy in your picture second hand smoke and I know he is already disabled. Cancer will be more load on him. I beg you in the name of God.

AloyEmeka, did I Not say If I was mistaken?

You really have crossed the line and I expect an apology.
To berate my recently deceased Cousin and my brother who survived cancer really shows ur stupidty
And we wonder why nigeria will NEVER survive
We tear each other up for NOTHING every day.

Be careful where u thread, Im giving u fair warning

U DONT KNOW ME
Re: Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! by platinumnk(f): 1:41am On Jul 28, 2009
That man is from Akwa Ibom. The name is very clear.

Thanks, I stand corrected.
Re: Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! by platinumnk(f): 1:47am On Jul 28, 2009
I have never been choked up with Anger on NL before.
Not even that episode with Whitelexi has come close!

U know what, Aloyemeka, I dont give a Bleep if u dont apologize, U dont know me, but I hope u remember when ur own kids are born.

U dont know what I'm capable of.

I think I will leave NL alone for awhile.
Re: Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! by bilqiss(f): 4:32am On Jul 28, 2009
@platinumk

pls don't let such a misunderstanding bother you, it's obvious he did not know who he was referring to. But that is not an excuse for him to insult someone based on a glimpse of their profile. I find that a common thing on NL whereby, when someone disagrees with your comment or takes offence, the next thing is to bash the individual. This is very common in the Romance section. My dear, ignore him and do your thing, he made a big mistake and I'm sure he regrets d mix-up.
Re: Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! by SeanT21(f): 4:33am On Jul 28, 2009
When will these people ever learn. lipsrsealed

@@Plat

**RELAX**
wink
Re: Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! by IFELEKE(m): 9:16am On Jul 28, 2009
Aloy Emeka:

That is the only thing you saw about the story?. he is no more a Nigerian rather, he is better known as an igbo man. Your stupidity and tribal lens will not let you know any other thing in Nigeria besides tribalism. First and foremost, there is no name like that in igboland. may be he is from middle belt or mid west but certainly not igbo but who cares where he is from?.

Also it's called defrauding the govt and not fraud the govt. Didn't your non igbo father spend the money he makes in his medical business in your school?.

emeka,
A key function of an objective argument is it's impersonal approach to the subject matter.
You really crossed the line with your personal jibes and it really went a long way to rub the shine off your argument about ethnicity.
It will be good if you voluntarily apologise for your harsh albeit ill-informed jibes.
Re: Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! by GEW: 9:24am On Jul 28, 2009
Aloy Emeka:

That is the only thing you saw about the story?. he is no more a Nigerian rather, he is better known as an igbo man. Your stupidity and tribal lens will not let you know any other thing in Nigeria besides tribalism.  First and foremost, there is no name like that in igboland. may be he is from middle belt or mid west but certainly not igbo but who cares where he is from?.

Also it's called defrauding the govt and not fraud the govt. Didn't your non igbo  father spend the money he makes in his medical business in your school?.

THE MAN NA HAUSA THE NAME IS Umawa Oke Imo, NOT BE HAUSA DEY BEAR NAMES LIKE DAT?
Re: Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! by MrCrackles(m): 9:30am On Jul 28, 2009
IFELEKE:

emeka,
A key function of an objective argument is it's impersonal approach to the subject matter.
You really crossed the line with your personal jibes and it really went a long way to rub the shine off your argument about ethnicity.
It will be good if you voluntarily apologise for your harsh albeit ill-informed jibes.

Exactly. . . I thought she was real harsh!
I dont understand why the chick's comment warrant all the nonsense ALOY spewed above!
We need to choose words carefully and dont take other people's sensitivity for granted!
Re: Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! by LadyT(f): 9:37am On Jul 28, 2009
Why do you all bother with Aloy Emeka who is also Hotfunmi who doesnt know what sex it is or what tribe. Yoruba today Igbo tomorrow senseless goat.
Re: Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! by asha80(m): 9:38am On Jul 28, 2009
Aloy emeka you were quite harsh and need not react like that

Platinumnk you also have to think before you type.That name is a typical akwa ibom like name and as an igbo girl you ought to have known that.
Re: Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! by asha80(m): 9:39am On Jul 28, 2009
LadyT:

Why do you all bother with Aloy Emeka who is also Hotfunmi who doesnt know what sex it is or what tribe. Yoruba today Igbo tomorrow senseless goat.

I wonder why people feel aloyemeka is hotfunmi.
Re: Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! by Nobody: 10:31am On Jul 28, 2009
Aloy, you are out of order man.
your response to her comment is/was out of order.
Re: Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! by IGWEUSA(m): 10:45am On Jul 28, 2009
OMO IBO:

Aloy, you are out of order man.
your response to her comment is/was out of order.
But Aloy responded to her first post which she had modified, both simply screwed up like Prof Gates and sergent Crowley. grin grin
Re: Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! by IGWEUSA(m): 10:52am On Jul 28, 2009
platinumnk:

I have never been choked up with Anger on NL before.
Not even that episode with Whitelexi has come close!

U know what, Aloyemeka, I dont give a Bleep if u dont apologize, U dont know me, but I hope u remember when ur own kids are born.

U dont know what I'm capable of.
I think I will leave NL alone for awhile.
What the hell are you capable of ? You better desist from making silly threats.
Re: Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! by Nobody: 11:25am On Jul 28, 2009
Igwe, granted platinumnk's comment was garbage to say the least but i believe Aloy could have dampened his response.
You can't douse fire with fire.
Re: Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! by CrudeOil2(m): 11:57am On Jul 28, 2009
Why the bitter acrimony
Re: Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! by CrudeOil2(m): 11:59am On Jul 28, 2009
Why the bitter acrimony
Re: Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! by Abagworo(m): 12:06pm On Jul 28, 2009
Oke imo might be an abian from item,ohafia,edda or arochuku.he is obviously nigerian and is innocent until proven guilty.
Re: Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! by hackney(m): 12:07pm On Jul 28, 2009
I suggest people take a good nap before logging onto this incredible forum of ours.
(or have a cold drink  grin grin   )
Aloy sha needs to temper his comments with decorum.

People will always address topics in ways they see fit but turning sideways to attack someone based on a comment is quite distasteful especially when they are not refering to you.

As far as Nigeria goes, i find that views and comments will always have tribal undertones so let's just display as much civility as possible under such circumstances.

By and large ,the comments posted here are the most accurate indication of who we really are because they are un bridled and with personal convictions.
As such can we put a bit more thoughts into comments geared towards people.
cheers
Re: Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! by Nezan(m): 12:45pm On Jul 28, 2009
Abagworo:

Oke imo might be an abian from item,ohafia,edda or arochuku.he is obviously nigerian and is innocent until proven guilty.
In anyway we look at it, this is bad for the corporate image of the country.
Re: Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! by otukpo(f): 1:17pm On Jul 28, 2009
One Nigeria indeed! lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! by anonimi: 2:05pm On Jul 28, 2009
Meanwhile back to the topic (BTT), how many people on this forum know this 54 year old Umawa Oke Imo who is a disgrace to our common patrimony- Nigeria.
Next time when you or your relation or friends are harrassed or given sly looks because you are a Nigerian or of Nigerian descent, think about Umawa Oke Imo atrocities and other rogues like him who we honour as Chiefs, Elders, Baba Adinnis, GCFR etc but whose very acts of ommission and/or commission make life a living hell for you and I within and outside Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jul 28, 2009
This is not news. Nigerians have been defrauding the system for ages. A couple of Nigerians were arrested in Houston for the same offence a few years back.
NIGERIA = FRAUD
Re: Nigerian Indicted On Medicare Fraud! by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jul 28, 2009
Aloy Emeka:

i
                             i
                            \/
hackney:

By and large ,the comments posted here are the most accurate indication of who we really are because they are un bridled and with personal convictions.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Amaechi And Rochas Fighting At APC Rally / Why Kanu's Biafra Will Likely Succeed / Gov Rochas Okorocha Diagnosed Of Schizophrenia, Flown To India For Treatment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.