Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,291 members, 7,815,504 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:34 PM

Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? (20161 Views)

A Marriage List Given To A Man In Akwa Ibom (Screenshot) / Reasons Why Women Walk Out Of A Marriage / 8 Signs A Marriage Won’t Last, According To Divorce Lawyers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? by byvan03: 7:00pm On Apr 24, 2016
Mindfulness:
By the way Byvan03,

if you do Moses law then you must accept polygamy. wink

No beating up of second and third wives. grin

Beating up second wives really? Won't but don't have problems with people that do. You come as second, I shift aside and make you the Ist, am a peace lover like that cheesy.
Re: Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Apr 24, 2016
byvan03:

Religious folks? You support mistresses, extol infidelity, why then do you think is wrong to hit back someone that initiated violence? See...even with no religion at all, you aren't far from the religious folks, same ol inconsistency and hypocrisy cool. You lost me there, I don't form holy either . Mentally ill people? You can twist the gist into Bantu knots, am sure you got the point fully. Ain't no turning of cheeks from this end.

I don't support mistresses. I oppose the stupidity that women display when they attack other women who don't give a fvck about them but open their legs to their cheating husband a night later.

And I don't support infidelity, I support polygamy for those who want it.

And there is nothing inconsistent about it.

Being against violence and brutal methods such as the knocking off of teeth is nowhere near inconsistency. It's pure logic, not sentiments that are the result of insecurity and jealousy.
Re: Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? by Nobody: 7:18pm On Apr 24, 2016
byvan03:

Beating up second wives really? Won't but don't have problems with people that do. You come as second, I shift aside and make you the Ist, am a peace lover like that cheesy.

You want your husband to die from heart attack? grin
I enjoy the debates with you on NL but I don't want to become a violent pacifist with you as sister wife. It would be inconsistent. grin

You are a peace lover? Maybe in your next life time. cheesy
Re: Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? by byvan03: 7:26pm On Apr 24, 2016
Mindfulness:

I don't support mistresses. I oppose the stupidity that women display when they attack other women who don't give a fvck about them but open their legs to their cheating husband a night later.

And I don't support infidelity, I support polygamy for those who want it.

And there is nothing inconsistent about it.

Being against violence and brutal methods such as the knocking off of teeth is nowhere near inconsistency. It's pure logic, not sentiments that are the result of insecurity and jealousy.

Polygamy is brutal enough, dentures can solve broken teeth but the damage from polygamy? now that's the definition of life changing emotional brutality.
Re: Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Apr 24, 2016
byvan03:

Polygamy is brutal enough, dentures can solve broken teeth but the damage from polygamy? now that's the definition of life changing emotional brutality.

This is NOT true. Polygamous marriages can be as happy or unhappy as monogamous marriages.
Re: Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? by byvan03: 7:29pm On Apr 24, 2016
Mindfulness:

You want your husband to die from heart attack? grin
I enjoy the debates with you on NL but I don't want to become a violent pacifist with you as sister wife. It would be inconsistent. grin

You are a peace lover? Maybe in your next life time. cheesy

grin grin grin Why dying nah? that should stir some excitement that the 1st wife is a peace loving fellow that chose to go without fight. Common you can be both cheesy.
Re: Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? by byvan03: 7:32pm On Apr 24, 2016
Mindfulness:

This is NOT true. Polygamous marriages can be as happy or unhappy as monogamous marriages.

There is nothing like a happy polygamous home joor angry. Taking turns to errrhmm... lipsrsealed, I no fit shout lipsrsealed.
Re: Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Apr 24, 2016
byvan03:

There is nothing like a happy polygamous home joor angry. Taking turns to errrhmm... lipsrsealed, I no fit shout lipsrsealed.

What's wrong with taking turns? grin
Re: Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? by byvan03: 7:49pm On Apr 24, 2016
Mindfulness:

What's wrong with taking turns? grin

grin grin grin nothing at all!

1 Like

Re: Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? by Nobody: 7:53pm On Apr 24, 2016
byvan03:

grin grin grin nothing at all!

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? by raumdeuter: 7:59pm On Apr 24, 2016
Mindfulness:

The reason why people react like this is because they assume that men are stronger and could defend themselves whereas women cannot as they are physically weaker even Byvan is saying that it is crazy to attack a man as he is stronger.
So if a woman is being attacked, she can usually not defend herself as easily as an attacked man can.

You know a man is stronger then why would you attack anyone stronger? Even toddlers ate taught and not encouraged to hit people when they are angry, Its only females who get cheered on when they hit others when they are angry

Let me ask, You see someone stronger, you are angry at them, do you hit the person? If you wont, why?

As some of you may be aware, Whoopi Goldberg has received backlash, from both feminists and traditionalists alike, after voicing her opinion on Solange’s elevator brawl with Jay Z. If you are not familiar with the story, you can view her original comments here and her later clarification here.

Her opinion can be summarised as “Men should, and do, have the basic human right of self defence, even if his attacker is a woman”.

Gender equality is not achieved by giving women special social and legal protection from physical retaliation when they decide to initiate a physical attack on a man. It wouldn’t be fair if men could do it and t’s not fair that women can do it. This is an attitude that needs to disappear from our culture if true equality is ever to be achieved. Until then, all this promotes is an entitled and bullying attitude from those women who are unscrupulous enough to take advantage of it, and prevents men from exercising their right of self-defense. People need to get used to the idea that, regardless of sex, if you hit someone you had better be prepared for them to hit you back, and if that’s something you find unacceptable then don’t hit anyone!

If a man is being physically attacked by a woman he should have every right to defend himself and that includes fighting back to neutralize that threat, not just blocking any blows that he can and hoping his attacker eventually gets tired and goes away, which is what men are currently limited to at the moment.
Re: Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Apr 24, 2016
raumdeuter:

You know a man is stronger then why would you attack anyone stronger? Even toddlers ate taught and not encouraged to hit people when they are angry, Its only females who get cheered on when they hit others when they are angry

Again, I don't hit people. I even feel bad when I become verbally abusive on NL (mostly in politics section, chai!).

Let me ask, You see someone stronger, you are angry at them, do you hit the person? If you wont, why?

Stronger or weaker, I don't hit people.
Re: Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? by raumdeuter: 8:07pm On Apr 24, 2016
Mindfulness:

Again, I don't hit people. I even feel bad when I become verbally abusive on NL (mostly in politics section, chai!).
Stronger or weaker, I don't hit people.

So what should happen to women who hit men first in an argument

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aFNHWdIVe0
Re: Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? by Nobody: 8:08pm On Apr 24, 2016
So many factors have to be considered before any kind of reconciliation. For me family meeting will be called everyone has to agree that a line was crossed and things are now icy..... I will temporary vacate the persons life until they can face their own demons if things turn physical I really can't imagine my children when i have them being exposed to violence the cycle will never end. You can break the chain you just have to find a way to communicate...don't belittle your spouse even when your irritated to the brim.

In a heated argument agree to disagree nobody is better than anyone if so why did you two get married ...there's no competition in true companionship everyone is treated equal if you are not. Wait till you find that kind of partner. If he has a temper soothe it don't pour kerosene on it if she has a fuse shut it off... We all have to play our part and rely on God for direction.

For every action there is a reaction but you are responsible for how you react to the actions of other people. In other words if you want to handle delicate matters such as an argument barbarically go ahead but not be surprised when you face the same fate later in life.

Love is powerful thing and with God and true respect things will change learn the trigger and kill it there

Forgive.....Meditate and Overcome your problems as a Couple

Aggressive people will always be a part of our society we gotta find a way to love them too
Re: Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Apr 24, 2016
raumdeuter:

So what should happen to women who hit men first in an argument

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aFNHWdIVe0

The same that should happen to men who hit women. You file a charge or you leave her or both.

Honestly, the chick in this video is very annoying. angry angry angry
Re: Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? by justme2000: 12:21am On Apr 25, 2016
Re: Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? by bukatyne(f): 12:00am On Apr 26, 2016
raumdeuter:

Does the law or public opinion believe a man and a woman can fight? If a woman slaps you 50 times and he replies with 2, You are crucified and your career ruined

When Solange was beating JayZ who was obviously much stronger assuming he as much as sent just one blow her way would anyone remember the number of blows she landed on him?

The only thing acceptable when a woman and a man have physical altercation is for the man to either run away, If its in a place he can't run, he has to wait and take all the beatings until the woman is satisfied, Like Solange which everyone laughed at

Most people that are tagged wife beater do you think during the fight, the woman didnt throw a blow? When Rihanna and Chris Brown issue happened do you think Rihanna was just sitting their in her angelic ways taking the blows and not throwing hers back?

Its the hypocrisy the world have to live with right now. In the west now, Women believe its their right to beat a man without any repercussions

And the funny thing is a woman who believes a man has no right to touch her regardless of how much she hits him, watch her son getting beaten by another girl and she would be the first to say why didnt he punch her back

Bros, this ain't applicable to Nigeria.

Tell 19 people that a man beat his wife/woman and the first question 11 will ask is 'what did she do'? Hehehe...

I honestly do not know how to place Solanges's case however it is strange that a wife would watch her sister beat her husband...

There is hypocrisy everywhere and people will not ask questions if a wife slaps her husband before he is advised to divorce her in Nigeria. Just a flip side of the coin.

While I agree some cases of physical abuse is actually two lovers fighting, some women are genuinely abused.

As per the MIL thingy, most people have different rules of engagement for family & non-family.

And yes, I believe men & women can/do fight..... And I yam a part of society. grin
Re: Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? by Becalm(m): 7:26am On Apr 26, 2016
It can be worked out. Everything is possible under the sun.
Re: Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? by raumdeuter: 6:06pm On Apr 26, 2016
bukatyne:
Bros, this ain't applicable to Nigeria.
Tell 19 people that a man beat his wife/woman and the first question 11 will ask is 'what did she do'? Hehehe...
I honestly do not know how to place Solanges's case however it is strange that a wife would watch her sister beat her husband...
There is hypocrisy everywhere and people will not ask questions if a wife slaps her husband before he is advised to divorce her in Nigeria. Just a flip side of the coin.
While I agree some cases of physical abuse is actually two lovers fighting, some women are genuinely abused.
As per the MIL thingy, most people have different rules of engagement for family & non-family.
And yes, I believe men & women can/do fight..... And I yam a part of society. grin

Any boy caught fighting a girl from Nursery to University if he is gaining the upper hand would be shamed "How can you be fighting a girl" or beaten by onlookers, if the girl is gaining the upper hand he would be mocked and laughed at

When one radio presenter DJ freeze came out to say his wife was beating him and showed us scars people mocked him andsaw the hilarious side to it. But if it was a woman beaten that way I am sure the reaction would have been different

In a lot of cases women assume because they have some God given right, they can attack first and nothing would happen, there was a story I wanted to post here before spambot slammed me on Sunday

A girl in a new York train saw a 6ft 6 bouncer and she started abusing him the guy didnt respond, she mocked his jacket that its like whats made in 1990, the guy didnt respond, she went on and removed her stilleto to hit the guy on the head, The guy now beat her back.

On that train some were already shouting "How can you hit a girl".

The question is she knew she stood no chance in a fight with the 6ft6 bouncer yet insulted him and used her shoe to hit him? What would make her have that kind of liver if she didnt believe in her right to attack and not be touched which we are taught now

This is the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czb4rImsph0

While the girl was abusing him and hitting him no one said anything, the moment the guy gave her a slap, 3 people got up to fight the guy
Re: Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? by nanalady(f): 8:47pm On Apr 26, 2016
justme2000:
I want to ask a question here and I need real judgement.

Where did I get it wrong?

Here is my story.

I was 30 when I got married just 2 years back.

Though I came from a very very poor background, I have God's favour, I was gainfully employed over the last 8 years and even before I met my wife, I was an international employee working in the best places in the world. I had real money from my hard work.

One committment I have made to God is to love and cherish the woman I will eventually marry. I dont womanize, no smoking and no alcohol.

Ever since I met my wife even before we were married, I do send her 80% of my monthly income. Basically she gets almost all my hard earned currencies as I do not earn naira.

I boght a house even before we met and when we got married, I completed the house taking 2m naira from her.

Suddenly the unforseen happened, I got suspended from work do to downsizing. Came back to Nigeria fully and tried to seek alternate employment. Eventually got one and left again due to same downsizing. Since the last 3 months I have been seeking another employment, meaning I am jobless.

Now my wife brought her brother 4 years younger than me to live in the house without seeking permission from me. I had to over look it to avoid family issues.

She is the violent type that always slap and tear my shirt at every little argument and because I have decided not to hit a woman in my life, I will just over look everything. I have had to replace her phones twice because she smashed same out of annoyance.

So this time, a little argument came up and she ended up tearing my shirt. So i had to slap her.

Then I got the shock of my life.

She started explaining telling her brother that

1. My hands are unfruitful as I have been experiencing bad luck to the point that I dont even earn a kobo
2. That she feeds me and my family
3. That this house she bought it with her money and all the assets in it so she is tired of helping me.

Jesus, I was shocked as I could not imagine this.

I worked really hard to make sure this woman is comfortable.

Sent her around the globe including the bahamas with this same unfruitful hand.

Paid house rent at 2m/yr using this same hands before I decided to complete the house i had bought as a bachelor.

Besides completing our current house, I furnished it fully with this same unfruitful hands

Sent her and her mum to the US when we had our baby with this same fruitless hands.

So my question is, is it bad for a man to treat his wife right?

If you were in my shoe, what will you do?

Sell the house and make her work for her house rent which she cant even afford?

i hope this is not real..just one of the super stories..
Re: Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? by mcdoweller(m): 11:51pm On Apr 28, 2016
No she better run.
Re: Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? by mumtriplet2: 6:20pm On Apr 29, 2016
it really hurt seeing someone who profess love hurt u.

I pray that God give me grace to forgive my husband.
Re: Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? by bukatyne(f): 11:06pm On Apr 30, 2016
raumdeuter:

Any boy caught fighting a girl from Nursery to University if he is gaining the upper hand would be shamed "How can you be fighting a girl" or beaten by onlookers, if the girl is gaining the upper hand he would be mocked and laughed at

When one radio presenter DJ freeze came out to say his wife was beating him and showed us scars people mocked him andsaw the hilarious side to it. But if it was a woman beaten that way I am sure the reaction would have been different

In a lot of cases women assume because they have some God given right, they can attack first and nothing would happen, there was a story I wanted to post here before spambot slammed me on Sunday

A girl in a new York train saw a 6ft 6 bouncer and she started abusing him the guy didnt respond, she mocked his jacket that its like whats made in 1990, the guy didnt respond, she went on and removed her stilleto to hit the guy on the head, The guy now beat her back.

The question is she knew she stood no chance in a fight with the 6ft6 bouncer yet insulted him and used her shoe to hit him? What would make her have that kind of liver if she didnt believe in her right to attack and not be touched which we are taught now

This is the video

While the girl was abusing him and hitting him no one said anything, the moment the guy gave her a slap, 3 people got up to fight the guy

I still think you are mixing both Nigeria & the West. In some quarters, it is not so bad to beat your wife and wives are still pleaded with to bear abusive husbands.

I however agree with you that anyone who goes about punching people especially stronger ones shouldn't cry foul when punched back or knocked out.
Re: Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? by bukatyne(f): 11:12pm On Apr 30, 2016
raumdeuter:

This is the video

I still think you are mixing both Nigeria & the West. In some quarters, it is not so bad to beat your wife and wives are still pleaded with to bear abusive husbands.

I however agree with you that anyone who goes about punching people especially stronger ones shouldn't cry foul when punched back or knocked out.

Responded on the other post too about marriage/cohabitiy
Re: Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? by macchanger: 8:01pm On May 04, 2016

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Help! I Don't Know My Father. I Will Be 29 In Few Months / Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? / Near Death Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.