Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,158 members, 7,821,935 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:09 PM

How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name (35281 Views)

How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos / Italian Girl Refused Job Because She Has A Nigerian Fiance / How I Got A Good Job Because Of The Personal CDS Project I Did When I Served (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by afroxyz: 3:34pm On Apr 06, 2016
fistonati:
He shud tell them he doesn't do Facebook after he has lost the Job Let me pray for you, RECEIVE SENSE
I think you are the one that should RECEIVE SENSE. Didn't you see the part where he said "Next time"? Hausa.
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by Jacko1(m): 3:36pm On Apr 06, 2016
Yolubas are most guilry of this crime

Hollabisi
Hollarmide
Holaseun
Howolabi
Hayomide

I can go on.... Swaganisin of name

Mods i did not insult any tribe oh..... I did nt insult ur precious tribe oh.... No ban me.....
I knw say una lik ma mata but ham not guilty oh

Waitin for april 9th u knw na
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by kimewills(f): 3:37pm On Apr 06, 2016
Jadonjack:

To some companies, It is o my dear
....yah...I can see that now..one needs to mindful.
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by Nobody: 3:37pm On Apr 06, 2016
Seunolad1:
how do I go about it? Put us through.

I think this settings is for those who use operamini.
At the home page of your facebook when you login, stroll almost to the end until you see SETTINGS AND PRIVACY. Click on it and on the first line, you will see GENERAL followed by SECURITY.
CLick on general and you will see what to edit. There, your name, email address, phone number, passwords can also be edited.
Thanks.
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by abbey621(m): 3:40pm On Apr 06, 2016
Jadonjack:

Let's just hope you don't bite your fingers when remembering this particular thread in the future

Stop putting fears in people when none is warranted. A credible company does not have time for such crap!
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by Nobody: 3:42pm On Apr 06, 2016
birmingham04:
Served you right ,what is homohniyhi? To me you are more or less tout.You prefer to write your name in English pronunciation. I really love that employer. You behaved like a kid.

I'm sorry
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by linearity: 3:43pm On Apr 06, 2016
delishpot:
Next time tell them you don't do facebook. That you spend your free time on your hobbies and you rather chat face to face or personally call or message with real friends than gather a million friends you do not talk to in real life. They will hire you instantly

That is not a smart move, it is stupid to lie about what is already in the public domain for the whole world to see.

The employer will know if you are lying or not and it is easy to confirm.
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by akagson: 3:46pm On Apr 06, 2016
Mediator97:
Do you knw u can change ur user id on facebook? it can always be done once in two months. quote me if you need the direction.
I need directions pls. I have changed my facebook name too many times that now, if I wanted to change my name, they'd ask for ID.
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by Vivalavida99(f): 3:49pm On Apr 06, 2016
That's the lamest excuse ever, may the HR was looking for ways to deny you the job and alas he got one with your FB addy.

Very soon they will start asking for your nairaland handle and you can imagine with names suck as "mr cork", " ngbeketoto", "mad cow" et al, lmao! No body should deny you job base on your social handle names/addy, that's cruel, if all the op said is true.
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by karleone(m): 3:51pm On Apr 06, 2016
Jadonjack:

I was more than astonished when he spilled out the reason

Most Nigerian firms run a background check on their prospective employees just to get little or no information about them. It's possible that the HR guy has found your name too difficult to spell or remember and is not in the mood of writing it down for future reference; reason why he's pissed with you or your fb name.
Well, you've learnt your lesson. Next time, even your twitter username will be your full name. Adios amigo!
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by Nobody: 3:51pm On Apr 06, 2016
goshen26:
I love this .....Buh painful u missed ur chance. I had written an article in time past against customized Facebook name, I remember then that my sch daughter attacked me, Buh was able to convince her.

Mark Zuckerberg created it to be an avenue to reunite people that have lost contacts. A guy also share testimony on how his old time friend was able to link him for a job in his company. his story goes thus " my friend, who knew that I could do a certain task with ease then in the school days, remember my name when the opportunity came up, Buh we have lost contacts then, he was able to get me tracked via my facebook. if I had used funny name like "horpheyemi, Holuwhathobi etc. wat will have become of me

pls friend it does not make any sense customizing ur fbook name.
Why are you typing but as buh? It's the same three alphabet letters. Wth is wrong with people trying to sound cool? lol.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by Nobody: 3:52pm On Apr 06, 2016
abbey621:

Stop putting fears in people when none is warranted. A credible company does not have time for such crap!

Your call
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by addikt(m): 3:52pm On Apr 06, 2016
delishpot:

And who said I needed this correction? You just feel like quoting me? My frirnd many people are quiting FB and it is hailed as a bold step. Not everyone cares to flaunt their lives on social media and that is very okay. Kids everywhere sha. So because I gave a way out means I did not read and comprehend the subject? Or that I need correcting or a lesson to be learnt? This is why our youths don't see beyounf their noses. Too quick to assume.

It's okay though , have it your way ..but I hope you understand my point as well....One love.
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by Wazobia12(m): 4:06pm On Apr 06, 2016
Cutehector:
Seriously that thing is just dumb and very stewpid... isn't it so surprising we complain how our names are misspelt in certifications or when someone pronounces it badly den come online to spell our names wrongly by ourselves..

If I were the HR, I wouldn't even only ask you out, I will make sure you never apply for any job in the company.

Says someone that spells "stupid" as "stewpid" dont worry i doubt if you will be hired urself talkless of HR undecided

1 Like

Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by Sayelabola(m): 4:09pm On Apr 06, 2016
This is one of the little things we job seekers do not pay much attention to. If someone had opened that account for me, perhaps I will be looking for a way to kill the person now.

Still trying to get over losing a job over "just" a facebook Id.

Lesson learnt anywaiz.[/quote]

There you go again...Lesson learnt " anywaiz "
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by lodscott(m): 4:16pm On Apr 06, 2016
darkenkach:
I lost my first job because I have just one picture and 150 friends on Facebook. They said I was fake that it's not possible for one to have an active account with one picture and few friends.

adonbeliveit, which job was this? treasurer to the CBN?

1 Like

Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by kobonaire(m): 4:17pm On Apr 06, 2016
This story just took "fakeness" to a whole new level
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by jaz(m): 4:18pm On Apr 06, 2016
@ op. you should have told the hr guy that if he knew he wasn't sure what hiring a talent is all about he shouldn't have wasted your time.

RUBBISH!
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by SinisterHazard(m): 4:21pm On Apr 06, 2016
banme1:
Imagine asking of nairaland username. People like irunobo. Madcow, Hungerbad ,ihatebuhari Etc.
Hahaha. Coming from a guy whose username is 'BanMe', it's rather ironic.
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by Nobody: 4:31pm On Apr 06, 2016
engrkenny:

...I mean, you must have fit in somewhere by now?

yea
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by optional1(f): 4:32pm On Apr 06, 2016
Jadonjack:

Considering what I'm feeling right now, I'd advice you always do
Thank You 4 dis info.
Pele, May God locate your own Job witout fb name.
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by Ekakamba: 4:34pm On Apr 06, 2016
Imagine PMB himself interviewing 'ihatebuhari' cheesy
banme1:
Imagine asking of nairaland username. People like irunobo. Madcow, Hungerbad ,ihatebuhari Etc.
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by BrainnewsNg(f): 4:38pm On Apr 06, 2016
delishpot:
Next time tell them you don't do facebook. That you spend your free time on your hobbies and you rather chat face to face or personally call or message with real friends than gather a million friends you do not talk to in real life. They will hire you instantly

Thank you
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by ZionBee: 4:43pm On Apr 06, 2016
Sorry about that. Well I believe you've learnt from that? Truth is when hiring, a lot comes into consideration. Your personality, etc. About your Facebook I.D do well to correct it? Its all part of impression management.

Best Wishes in future interviews

Jadonjack:
I'm really not gonna bore you with how the whole interview went but it actually was going well until I was asked to give my facebook Id....

Considering how the hr was enjoying my response to his questions, I happily told him my facebook Id. Putting the name in the facebook search box, nothing of such was shown, he(hr) then said I shld spell it and I did that without a second thought(I never knew customising a facebook id is a job seeking crime). After spelling daniel omoniyi(not real name) as dhaniehl homohniyhi, the man said " I'm so sorry, we can't hire you".
I was so confused that I had to ask him why, and he said " your facebook id look unserious and fake, please use the door".

This is one of the little things we job seekers do not pay much attention to. If someone had opened that account for me, perhaps I will be looking for a way to kill the person now.

Lesson learnt anywaiz.
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by sambas: 4:48pm On Apr 06, 2016
A jobless man applied for the position of 'office boy' at Microsoft. The HR manager interviewed him, then gave him a test: clean the floor. The man passed the test with flying colors. "You are hired," HR manager informed the applicant, "give me your e-mail address, and I'll send you the application for employment, as well as the date you should report for work. The man replied " I don't have a computer, or an email!" "I'm sorry," said the HR manager. "If you don't have an email, that means you do not exist. And we cannot hire persons who do not exist." The man was very disappointed. He didn't know what to do. He only had $10 with him. Once that is spent, he won't have any money to buy any food. He went to the supermarket and bought a crate of tomatoes with his $10. He went from door to door and sold the tomatoes in less than two hours. He doubled his money. He repeated the operation three times, and returned home with $60. He realized that he can survive this way. He started to go everyday earlier, and return late. He doubled or tripled his money every day. Soon, he bought a cart, then a truck. In a very short time, he had his own fleet of delivery vehicles. Five years later, the man became one of the biggest food retailers in the U. S. He started to plan his family's future, and decided to have a life insurance. He called an insurance broker, and chose a protection plan. At the end of the conversation, the broker asked him for his email address. The man replied: ' I don't have an email.' The broker was dumbfounded. "You don't have an email, and yet have succeeded in building an empire. Can you imagine what you could have been if you had an email?," he exclaimed. The man thought for a while, and replied, "an office boy at a microsoft company.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by MrDoGood(m): 4:49pm On Apr 06, 2016
If i were you, I would have asked him his and hit the search button and look at him and say

I can't work with a disgusting person like you....

Slam the door and walk out.
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by toprealman: 4:54pm On Apr 06, 2016
Jadonjack:
I'm really not gonna bore you with how the whole interview went but it actually was going well until I was asked to give my facebook Id....

Considering how the hr was enjoying my response to his questions, I happily told him my facebook Id. Putting the name in the facebook search box, nothing of such was shown, he(hr) then said I shld spell it and I did that without a second thought(I never knew customising a facebook id is a job seeking crime). After spelling daniel omoniyi(not real name) as dhaniehl homohniyhi, the man said " I'm so sorry, we can't hire you".
I was so confused that I had to ask him why, and he said " your facebook id look unserious and fake, please use the door".

Lesson learnt anywaiz.
and your ID on nl is jadonjack. when will you be serious......lol
na joke oh......kpele. Wasn't your job ok, your is on the way.
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by Chidizman(m): 4:55pm On Apr 06, 2016
Mediator97:
Do you knw u can change ur user id on facebook? it can always be done once in two months. quote me if you need the direction.

How can it be done? Help a mate, I v tried using the settings platform buh it ddnt work.
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by Nobody: 4:59pm On Apr 06, 2016
kobonaire:
This story just took "fakeness" to a whole new level

Each person with different perspective to life
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by Nickymezor(f): 5:01pm On Apr 06, 2016
Samiceman:
I lost a job cos I had no nairaland account, the interviewer said I wasn't 'enlightened' undecided tongue
Hahaha... stori!
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by glossy6(f): 5:02pm On Apr 06, 2016
9jatatafo:
I hate people that spell their name in so called customize way. Some will spell Femi to be Phemmie. Rubbish!

They don't like the names given to them by their parents and want to make them sound foreign
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by Nobody: 5:04pm On Apr 06, 2016
optional1:
Thank You 4 dis info.
Pele, May God locate your own Job witout fb name.

Amen o. Thank you my sister

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Graduate With A Distinction From UK Uni & You Offered With N50k Job In Nigeria / 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! / 74rri, Nigerian Army Shortlist Names For Pre-screening Examination

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.