Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,378 members, 7,829,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:29 PM

How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name (35295 Views)

How I Lost A Job Today Because I Didn't Grow In Lagos / Italian Girl Refused Job Because She Has A Nigerian Fiance / How I Got A Good Job Because Of The Personal CDS Project I Did When I Served (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by glossy6(f): 5:05pm On Apr 06, 2016
macaranta:
A tweet has made someone lose a job in a blue chip firm before,always be careful what you post on social media.

True talk. A nairaland post cost my brother his job. Real time
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by Seunolad1(m): 5:09pm On Apr 06, 2016
Mediator97:

I think this settings is for those who use operamini.
At the home page of your facebook when you login, stroll almost to the end until you see SETTINGS AND PRIVACY. Click on it and on the first line, you will see GENERAL followed by SECURITY.
CLick on general and you will see what to edit. There, your name, email address, phone number, passwords can also be edited.
Thanks.
I dnt think I can do that here.
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by 9jatatafo(m): 5:14pm On Apr 06, 2016
glossy6:

They don't like the names given to them by their parents and want to make them sound foreign

And that is the height of stupidity. Don't we see foreign names like Fish, Carr, Long et al and these people are proud of their names?
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by Nobody: 5:17pm On Apr 06, 2016
toprealman:
and your ID on nl is jadonjack. when will you be serious......lol
na joke oh......kpele. Wasn't your job ok, your is on the way.

Thank you
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by Nobody: 5:27pm On Apr 06, 2016
Techsupport:

What Akara and moi moi companies are these?

Seriously!

They'll drain u consistently and pay peanuts.
But tbh, His fb ID is actually childish and annoying
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by Sike(m): 5:42pm On Apr 06, 2016
Better luck next time
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by awakeuche(m): 5:46pm On Apr 06, 2016
Not trying to sound like a silly bigot, but I always see this customised names from my yoruba friends. Abi na trend
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by Davidolives(m): 5:51pm On Apr 06, 2016
delishpot:
Next time tell them you don't do facebook. That you spend your free time on your hobbies and you rather chat face to face or personally call or message with real friends than gather a million friends you do not talk to in real life. They will hire you instantly
if it was a sales job then you would lose the job
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by kobonaire(m): 6:02pm On Apr 06, 2016
Jadonjack:
Each person with different perspective to life
That is correct and some are delusional
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by cecegorz(m): 6:08pm On Apr 06, 2016
darkenkach:
I lost my first job because I have just one picture and 150 friends on Facebook. They said I was fake that it's not possible for one to have an active account with one picture and few friends.

Absolutely correct.
FB is one of the ways companies can do a background check on you.
When you make it look suspicious, it gives the impression that you might be a fraudulent character.
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by spoilerx: 6:11pm On Apr 06, 2016
my answer is always the same, I don't use Facebook.
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by Ligxy(f): 6:21pm On Apr 06, 2016
delishpot:
Next time tell them you don't do facebook. That you spend your free time on your hobbies and you rather chat face to face or personally call or message with real friends than gather a million friends you do not talk to in real life. They will hire you instantly
This can also make him lose a job, especially if it has to do with sales/marketing. Talking from experience.
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by Alexgeorgebsg(m): 6:29pm On Apr 06, 2016
The name contains the word HOMO thats why you were disqualified.
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by Nobody: 6:31pm On Apr 06, 2016
One of the many reasons I'm soooo very unactive on social media: u want to reach me: I think whatsapp would do just fine. On a more serious note linkedin is a sure bet! Nairaland, yes, so long as it's jobs/vacs, career, religion etc...

Facebook, Twitter, insta, snap and the others..... voice mail! happily deactivated all n loving my stay off and resultant peace of mind.

Interviewer : so dazzle, what's ur fb name

Dazzle: sir, I don't do social media grin grin

Now just for something somewhat trivial someone has just lost an opportunity....

OP take heart ok! Better offers ahead!!!
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by ClinicalHope(f): 6:46pm On Apr 06, 2016
Techsupport:

grin only in Naija you find them. Truth be told, I have learned not to ignore things like this because it matters to some people even though I think it's not relevant.
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by Nobody: 7:12pm On Apr 06, 2016
ClinicalHope:
grin only in Naija you find them. Truth be told, I have learned not to ignore things like this because it matters to some people even though I think it's not relevant.

My point exactly
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by Nobody: 7:14pm On Apr 06, 2016
dazzle101:
One of the many reasons I'm soooo very unactive on social media: u want to reach me: I think whatsapp would do just fine. On a more serious note linkedin is a sure bet! Nairaland, yes, so long as it's jobs/vacs, career, religion etc...

Facebook, Twitter, insta, snap and the others..... voice mail! happily deactivated all n loving my stay off and resultant peace of mind.

Now just for something somewhat trivial someone has just lost an opportunity....

Thank you my sister
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by talk4free: 7:24pm On Apr 06, 2016
Techsupport:

Sorry dude. A top manager in one of the oil majors once told me he checks out the facebook pages of applicants before they come interviews that involves his dept.

He said he knows a lot about the person from the facebook page. Dressing, comments, pictures, and all. These things tell a lot about your person.

So don't just say its Akara companies. You might just be shooting yourself in the foot. Hopefully you don't have pictures of yourself smoking weed on your page lol (just kidding o).

1 Like

Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by talk4free: 7:27pm On Apr 06, 2016
dazzle101:

You can also be considered to be Anti social, which most employers are wary of. Anti social people are considered difficult to integrate in a team. Its not wrong having a facebook page. It should just be decent.

1 Like

Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by drnoel: 7:29pm On Apr 06, 2016
darkenkach:
I lost my first job because I have just one picture and 150 friends on Facebook. They said I was fake that it's not possible for one to have an active account with one picture and few friends.

Looks like nigerian recruiters are silly, imagine rubbish statement they told u.
A friend of a friend told me how he went to this interview and was asked what his facebook account was. He imagined how he was going to tell them the name of his account which was something like "ogbolobo olodo". Instead he told them he didnt have an account. They asked him for his twitter, reddit, naiaraland id and again he had silly names for those accounts so he told them he does not use any social media as he finds them unserious and artificial. Now this guy is an social media veteran and is very active on nairaland.
They employed him. Having or not having a social media account is in many cases not part of a job description. Another friend of mine who is a recruiter for firms told me once that they ask for social media ids so that they can research on the applicant. See ur level of seriousness outside work and use that to build an idea about you. That you dont have one would not in most cases prevent u getting the job, I mean unless the job description requires that you have one.
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by iamclime(m): 7:30pm On Apr 06, 2016
NaLaugh:

I don't think the lesson has been learned.

People who intentionally spell words incorrectly to sound "cool," usually end up losing their ability to communicate effectively in business settings.
When I look around Nairaland, I notice Nigerians have become the kings of "shorthand" writing.

This wouldn't be too terrible if the "short version" was actually shorter than the correct version. In essence, people just spell as many words as possible in gibberish. e.g typing "anywaiz" instead of "anyways."

Regardless of how prolific you are, constant use of incorrect alternatives WILL affect you. I'm sure you have seen the effect firsthand.

You might think the HR person was being mean or petty, but in reality he made a good call.

However, don't let it get you down. We live and learn (if we are willing). Good luck. smiley
Your post gave me hope. There are still many folks with functioning brains on Nairaland. You spoke my mind. Even in academics, I have seen many students fail EXAMS they would have passed because of things like this. I hope the Nigerian youths will learn. God bless us all.

2 Likes

Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by AkumahTalk(m): 7:41pm On Apr 06, 2016
LIES from the PIT of HELL!! What kind of "Chei ya, lessons learnt" cock and bull story is this? angry embarassed
Jadonjack:
I'm really not gonna bore you with how the whole interview went but it actually was going well until I was asked to give my facebook Id....

Considering how the hr was enjoying my response to his questions, I happily told him my facebook Id. Putting the name in the facebook search box, nothing of such was shown, he(hr) then said I shld spell it and I did that without a second thought(I never knew customising a facebook id is a job seeking crime). After spelling daniel omoniyi(not real name) as dhaniehl homohniyhi, the man said " I'm so sorry, we can't hire you".
I was so confused that I had to ask him why, and he said " your facebook id look unserious and fake, please use the door".

This is one of the little things we job seekers do not pay much attention to. If someone had opened that account for me, perhaps I will be looking for a way to kill the person now.

Still trying to get over losing a job over "just" a facebook Id.

Lesson learnt anywaiz.
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by delishpot: 7:48pm On Apr 06, 2016
Ligxy:

This can also make him lose a job, especially if it has to do with sales/marketing. Talking from experience.

Then open a page and have followers or likes and give them that as your presence on FB.
I have a fb page where I share messages , tips and tricks of life. If someone asks me who isn't my friend or family, I give them that as my fb addy. No be by force to get fb and post my family or personal mater online. Those companies are not ready to get workers. The only company y that should take employee Facebook acct seriously should be Facebook itself.
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by stevoskyj(m): 8:00pm On Apr 06, 2016
darkenkach:

This one sounds like a joke sha
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by TeddyPendergrass(m): 8:29pm On Apr 06, 2016
NaLaugh:

I don't think the lesson has been learned.

People who intentionally spell words incorrectly to sound "cool," usually end up losing their ability to communicate effectively in business settings.
When I look around Nairaland, I notice Nigerians have become the kings of "shorthand" writing.

This wouldn't be too terrible if the "short version" was actually shorter than the correct version. In essence, people just spell as many words as possible in gibberish. e.g typing "anywaiz" instead of "anyways."

Regardless of how prolific you are, constant use of incorrect alternatives WILL affect you. I'm sure you have seen the effect firsthand.

You might think the HR person was being mean or petty, but in reality he made a good call.

However, don't let it get you down. We live and learn (if we are willing). Good luck. smiley

I don't think there has been a truer statement than this here on NairaLand.

People, young folks looking to be employed especially take for granted the importance of carrying themselves professionally at all times. An individual that types or text like "dis" or "rites" like "diz" has already shot themselves in the foot right from the jump.

point is: always present yourself in a responsible light at all times.

1 Like

Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by Adeniyi4real(m): 8:33pm On Apr 06, 2016
Stop blaming yourself.. It's never ur job. When it is God appointed time, nothing can stop it not even what you carry as a certificate, but when ur time has not reach, the food you ate to interview can cost you the job. Facebook or no facebook should never stop any serious company from employing anybody.. Also, I am afraid of the next generation of incoming youths... Some were happy coming to nairaland and claiming they will do thesame even when they are still looking for where to be collecting 20k as a graduate... No wonder all dis Old fools as HOUR and Head of MDAs are claiming we are having unemploable graduates. If God want to answer your prayer, infact you don't need Cv all what you need is documentation. So leave trash for lawn man and clear way for me. What has facebook customized name has to do with the quality of service to render... Awon Ode.
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by Nobody: 8:36pm On Apr 06, 2016
talk4free:

Sorry dude. A top manager in one of the oil majors once told me he checks out the facebook pages of applicants before they come interviews that involves his dept.

He said he knows a lot about the person from the facebook page. Dressing, comments, pictures, and all. These things tell a lot about your person.

So don't just say its Akara companies. You might just be shooting yourself in the foot. Hopefully you don't have pictures of yourself smoking weed on your page lol (just kidding o).

Dude,
it is not by oil major or minor. if a company can look at how you spelt your name on social media and deny you a job, not what you posted or your naked picture, then your skills are not required in that place. I work in an international company where you can go to vacation as a man and come back as a woman, no body cares about what you do with your time as long as it doesnt interfere with your work life.
so spare me the major oil story..... most big names in nigeria have the worst biased top management
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by oshaosha2014(m): 8:40pm On Apr 06, 2016
useless company. and don't kill yourself over their stupidity. they want to look relevant not knowing they could lose the best candidate by poking their stupid nose in what is not their biznez.
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by Nobody: 9:05pm On Apr 06, 2016
talk4free:

You can also be considered to be Anti social, which most employers are wary of. Anti social people are considered difficult to integrate in a team. Its not wrong having a facebook page. It should just be decent.

If u read my comment properly, I'm sure u would have seen whatsapp, linkedin and nairaland, so I dunno what the fuss is abt!

Between my being on fb or twitter is got nothing to do with how sociable or how great my networking skills could or should be.

A lot of things I would rather not wish to identify with are prevalent on such social scenes, hence my decision to be wary of them.

Fin!!!
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by 0luwasean(m): 9:58pm On Apr 06, 2016
Jadonjack:
I'm really not gonna bore you with how the whole interview went but it actually was going well until I was asked to give my facebook Id....

Considering how the hr was enjoying my response to his questions, I happily told him my facebook Id. Putting the name in the facebook search box, nothing of such was shown, he(hr) then said I shld spell it and I did that without a second thought(I never knew customising a facebook id is a job seeking crime). After spelling daniel omoniyi(not real name) as dhaniehl homohniyhi, the man said " I'm so sorry, we can't hire you".
I was so confused that I had to ask him why, and he said " your facebook id look unserious and fake, please use the door".

This is one of the little things we job seekers do not pay much attention to. If someone had opened that account for me, perhaps I will be looking for a way to kill the person now.

Still trying to get over losing a job over "just" a facebook Id.

Lesson learnt anywaiz.

"Lesson learnt "anywaiz"... "Anywaiz"

My guy, you never learn!
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by Nobody: 11:12pm On Apr 06, 2016
HR always loking for ways to reduce number of applicant since 14BC
Re: How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name by Adeyeancah(m): 11:14pm On Apr 06, 2016
delishpot:
Ehen, he should lie he doesn't do facebook abi?
By the time they get to know, na to still use the DOOR!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Graduate With A Distinction From UK Uni & You Offered With N50k Job In Nigeria / 14 Salary Negotiation Responses That Could Cost You Your Dream Job! / 74rri, Nigerian Army Shortlist Names For Pre-screening Examination

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.