Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,850 members, 7,817,517 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:38 PM

What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa (5954 Views)

Who Schooled And Worked In The Uk?.how Did You Do It?. / If I Hav My Child In Nigeria / Pls Can Body Help To Tell Me If I Can Get A Direct Flight From Lagos To Grenada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa by demowo: 10:43pm On Jul 31, 2009
So I've got myself in a bit of an awkward situation and need some advice if anyone can help!

I worked in the UK on a working holiday visa, and as my 12 months of work were up I would like to applied for and obtained a student visa for my post gradute studies. However, due to my silliness (no other excuse really) . As a result, I continued to work and remain in the country on my working holiday visa, for another 1 months. I was still able to be in the country as my working holiday visa doesnt expire until August 09.

I have now left the UK and am back in Nigeria but I desperately want to return to start My studies.
I have all the required doucment for the tier 4 point based system, but to I have to provide details of previous visas and supply my National INsurance number.

Does anyone know what happens if they realise that you have worked for longer than 12 months on the working holiday visa? In my case it's a sure thing they're going to find out if I continue my application as I have to give them all my work experience details and NI number. Do they really track your work details and all.

Can anyone recommend what to do? bearing in mind i have paid full school fees and i have maintainace money in a uk bank account in my name to the tune of £5400, which is required for outer london

Should I apply and hope for the best, or give up as a lost cause and go cause?

Thanks!
Re: What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa by skfa1: 10:53pm On Jul 31, 2009
U can try to apply, they might not check ur NI. I dont think they have access to check individual NI because information cannot be shared with the third party based on NI agreement, thats why home office will always request for payslip if u are a student but im not sure this days maybe they can now share it.

Also put it in prayer, what pastor Idahor prayer did for me on my Visa and my life is great.
Re: What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa by kadman(m): 11:20pm On Jul 31, 2009
The poster above has hit the nail on the head,plus at the moment the UKBA has made it obvious that they only care about tution fees + the £5,400. . . So you should be fine
Re: What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa by demowo: 12:41am On Aug 01, 2009
Thanks Kadman, i have noticed a lot of your comments on lots of travel post and must of them have been well informed, thanks for the comment.

From reading othere post, i have seen cases where people mention original ssce certificate. the only certificate i used to gain admission for the masters programme, is my uniag transcript for my first decree.

I did neco (ssce ) all i have is my statement of result from my secondary school and a result print out from neco minna, and its even a photo copy. i dont have any Copy with picture or any thing.Do i really need my Neco Certificate, and do they provide it for people, am not even sure if neco still exist.

have been on neco's website,and i notice you can purchase a card which you can use to cheak your result online, can i send this to the embassy.

thanks for your response.
Re: What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa by kadman(m): 9:43am On Aug 01, 2009
You're welcome. . . Always happy to help a fellow Unilag alumi smiley,you're lucky you have Transcript sef,Unilag refused to give me I had to make d0 with NOTIFICATION OF RESULT.

If your visa letter does not say WAEC or NECO among documents you used to procure admission,the flat rule is you would not need to submit it,I know someone who did the same 2 weeks back,and has gotten her visa now.
But if you want to be on the safe side and lessen your worries - 3 years after you do NECO and WAEC they would have sent the original to your schools,so by now it should be there. I wrote the exams in 2002 and picked the certificates in 2006. The certificate is in your school now.

But if you cannot do the long journey to Minna,add all the documents you have and the scrath card (That's very important),and add a cover letter to explain why.
Re: What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa by kadman(m): 9:50am On Aug 01, 2009
On a side note,when applying make sure you put a little more then the £5,400 in your account,for safety sake and pound flunctuations.
Re: What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa by Hesperus(m): 9:51am On Aug 01, 2009
@ topic, I think you should go ahead and apply. You are not new to the British system anyway, so you know how it works. The way I see it, these guys are mostly interested in the funds, prolly due to recession and all that. They know how much we foreigners bring into their system, so they are ready to milk us, lol! Nothin do you, I'm sure you'll get it.

@ my fellow UNILAG graduates, holla!
Re: What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa by demowo: 12:11am On Aug 02, 2009
Nice one guys, the account am using is my uk bank account, and its actually £5600 as of today, so the case of currency going up and down wont affect me. And i have letters from barclays bank also. so i think am cool.

As per transcript, i got mine in a week, grin i just gave one guy 5k and it was sent to the school fast. Senate workers too like money.

Thanks for the help, would keep guys updated.
Re: What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa by Busybody2(f): 5:23am On Aug 02, 2009
skfa1:

U can try to apply, they might not check ur NI. I dont think they have access to check individual NI because information cannot be shared with the third party based on NI agreement, thats why home office will always request for payslip if u are a student but im not sure this days maybe they can now share it.

You what shocked You are having a giraffe right undecided Even a common frontline staff at any Government e.g Jobcentre, Housing, etc, has every right to call your bank on the phone to request for details of your last transaction and the bank has to oblige immediately, heck they can even call your school, your GP, or anywhere you have a record for that matter, and you are here claiming UKBA has no right to call the DWP or HMRC to request for anyone's NI detail, i no fit shout lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

demowo:

So I've got myself in a bit of an awkward situation and need some advice if anyone can help!

I worked in the UK on a working holiday visa, and as my 12 months of work were up I would like to applied for and obtained a student visa for my post gradute studies. However, due to my silliness (no other excuse really) . As a result, I continued to work and remain in the country on my working holiday visa, for another 1 months. I was still able to be in the country as my working holiday visa doesnt expire until August 09.

I have now left the UK and am back in Nigeria but I desperately want to return to start My studies.
I have all the required doucment for the tier 4 point based system, but to I have to provide details of previous visas and supply my National INsurance number.

Does anyone know what happens if they realise that you have worked for longer than 12 months on the working holiday visa? In my case it's a sure thing they're going to find out if I continue my application as I have to give them all my work experience details and NI number. Do they really track your work details and all.

Can anyone recommend what to do? bearing in mind i have paid full school fees and i have maintainace money in a uk bank account in my name to the tune of £5400, which is required for outer london

Should I apply and hope for the best, or give up as a lost cause and go cause?

Thanks!

Don't wanna rain on your parade, but forget the fact that you already paid your school fees or that they need it cos of credit crunch, if you are refused a visa, you would have to pay another fee which means more money in their pocket. You are better off paying to seek professional advise or calling one of these free OISC solicitors to be on the safe side to iron out all the kinks that could crop up.

And if you decide to go it alone without seeking professional help, just make sure you concentrate on the fact that you came here to work in order to save money for your degree course, and try not to draw attention to the fact that you overstayed your previous welcome . . .
Re: What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa by demowo: 10:06am On Aug 02, 2009
@ busy body, i didnt over stay in uk, i only worked for 4 weeks more than than the 12 month allow. what i wanted to know is do they cheak NI/ work history each time a new application is made.

I asked cause my sis was on working holiday visa also and she had it changed to Hsmp, she claimed to have been working in Nigeria, but the same period, she was in uk and she was paying Ni if they had cheaked the Ni contribution, it would have show that the period of her lagos pay slip was the same with Ni payment.

so wanted to Know how much people her refused visa based on general grounds. I wont be lieing on my application, but i intend to avoid the case of how long i worked.
Re: What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa by Busybody2(f): 10:27am On Aug 02, 2009
demowo:

@ busy body, i didnt over stay in uk, i only worked for 4 weeks more than than the 12 month allow.

We are singing from the same hymnsheet dearie wink I invited you to stay 52 weeks at my house, you ended up spending 56 weeks angry Na the person wey wear the bata me knows where it is hurting cheesy grin cheesy

demowo:

what i wanted to know is do they cheak NI/ work history each time a new application is made.

I asked cause my sis was on working holiday visa also and she had it changed to Hsmp, she claimed to have been working in Nigeria, but the same period, she was in uk and she was paying Ni if they had cheaked the Ni contribution, it would have show that the period of her lagos pay slip was the same with Ni payment.

so wanted to Know how much people her refused visa based on general grounds. I wont be lieing on my application, but i intend to avoid the case of how long i worked.

Ojo gbogbo ni t'ole and besides Ori y'ato s'ori or are you gonna throw your dummy outta your mouth if you get refused that "but my sister got away with such and is still at large . . ." cheesy

I have lost count of the number of people who were denied visas solely because their siblings or folks were found to have overstayed their visa or flouted one of their immigration rules. So you see say this one even pass sins of the parents being passed onto the children, na sins of your siblings cheesy

And this my dear is the reason I said you should seek professional advise, because clearly the rule has been flouted and it will not be nice for people here to give you false assurances and conclusion only for you to be knocked back. OISC advisers would not charge you a penny wink
Re: What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa by SUKKIE(m): 8:52pm On Aug 02, 2009
Boss, my deduction from ur post is that u over stayed,however u ve met all the requirements to apply for a student visa. Without a doubt still go for it. There are  data protection policies which ideally safe guard against sharing info from different agencies,however with draconian rules springing up each day to curtail immigrants, these Britico people will go any length.

Brov, as a fellow Unilag alumnus u shud alwz  go for broke. I'm positive,u will be alrite,lest u forget u are equally stimlutating their economy in this stormy period. On the other hand,if they denial u ;God forbid do GRE or GMAT whichever1 is approriate n try Yankee (there is a thread for that). There is a reason for everything u kno.God dey!
Re: What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa by demowo: 12:12am On Aug 03, 2009
@SUKKIE thanks for your comment, i didnt overstay in uk, i was allowed to work for 12 months, but i worked for 12 and 4 weeks, so i over worked, it wont show on my passport, the only they can actually knw is if they request for my my national insurance contribution details. i just want to knw if they verifiy all the time.
Re: What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa by Nobody: 11:08am On Aug 03, 2009
@ Busybody,
You are getting it all wrong, she wants to know if the embassy can check information on her NI not the bank.

I dont think they would go that far to start checking her NI contribution, they would probably just call up her employers to check if she actually worked there.

@ Demowo,

You have a good chance, go ahead and apply. Add all relevant information to your application. The good thing is you are back in Nigeria, don't worry!! Pray as well.

Besides, your sin is not that bad, I know a guy that overstayed for years, got married to a british citizen. He went back to Nigeria and confessed he overstayed for 6 years and still got a spousal Visa(. ofcouse with the right documents)
Re: What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa by kadman(m): 5:54pm On Aug 03, 2009
The most important thing is that the guy DID NOT OVERSTAY !!! That's why feel he's the one scaring himself. If he overstayed that's when there's cause for alarm !
Re: What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa by Busybody2(f): 5:26pm On Aug 04, 2009
aysometin:

@ Busybody,
You are getting it all wrong, she wants to know if the embassy can check information on her NI not the bank.

I dont think they would go that far to start checking her NI contribution, they would probably just call up her employers to check if she actually worked there.

Excuse me I do not have a problem with assimilation and comprehension of English Language, so I perfectly understand what the OP is after, thank you cool And what I said was e.g meaning for example, before I introduced the bank scenario into the equation, Madam I Too Sabi undecided

As for what you think they will only check, my response is "siddon there" cool cool cool

SUKKIE:

Boss, my deduction from ur post is that u over stayed . . .

He did not overstay, rather he violated the term and condition of his Working Holiday visa by working for a month longer than the regulations stipulated wink
Re: What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa by Nobody: 7:44pm On Aug 04, 2009
Busy_body:

Excuse me I do not have a problem with assimilation and comprehension of English Language, so I perfectly understand what the OP is after, thank you cool And what I said was e.g meaning for example, before I introduced the bank scenario into the equation, Madam I Too Sabi undecided

Who is fighting with you?? baby!!! tongue I only pointed out what I noticed
You are never positive in your posts and if you think I would exchange words here with you, u must be dreaming, I know u well, thats what you expect all the time
Re: What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa by VOR(m): 8:01pm On Aug 04, 2009
Busy_body:

You what shocked You are having a giraffe right undecided [b]Even a common frontline staff at any Government e.g Jobcentre, Housing, etc, has every right to call your bank on the phone to request for details of your last transaction and the bank has to oblige immediately[/b], heck they can even call your school, your GP, or anywhere you have a record for that matter, and you are here claiming UKBA has no right to call the DWP or HMRC to request for anyone's NI detail, i no fit shout lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

You are 100% wrong in that assertion, no bank will release such information, government dept or not, without the express written authorisation of the account holder or a court order.

Re: What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa by Busybody2(f): 11:22pm On Aug 04, 2009
aysometin:

Who is fighting with you?? baby!!! tongue I only pointed out what I noticed
You are never positive in your posts and if you think I would exchange words here with you, u must be dreaming, I know u well, thats what you expect all the time

Not fighting you either, I don't fight ladies at all, we already have enough ish to deal with, with us being the weaker sex wink I was just correcting your preposterous assumption claiming I didn't understand the OP wink

And sorry to burst your bubble but it ain't my Busy_body you are referring to, if you have clashed with my twin Sister Busy_bodi/Busy_Body/Busi_Body/busy_bodi/or whatever she is calling herself now, I sincerely feel your pain and I understand if you have been unfortunate to have received a tongue lashing from her cheesy [s]good for you, she only reacts when provoked[/s] and I can only apologise profusely on her behalf, even our parents thinks she was swapped at birth grin My previous posts are still there for your perusal if you are still in doubt about my own gentle unassuming nature, just make sure you search for the correct spelling of my name grin
Re: What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa by Busybody2(f): 11:54pm On Aug 04, 2009
VOR:

You are 100% wrong in that assertion, no bank will release such information, government dept or not, without the express written authorisation of the account holder or a court order.

Long time bro, how body, wow, how many years is it now, 14, 16 grin Emi a lo o cheesy

Government Departments are not subjected to the Data Protection Act rule when faced with a "need to know" situation, because the only obvious reasons these information have been requested for, is to discharge their function under the Immigration Act or whatever Act the person requesting the info is calling for, which is done mainly to detect crime or fraud. All they have to be mindful of is the principles regarding privacy and disclosure.

They cannot be "done" for unlawful obtaining of personal data under Section 55 of the Data Protection Act, neither are they gonna be prosecuted and penalised under section 60 of the same Act because these sensitive datas have been requested for, in the interest of the public to prevent fraud and crime.

Have worked with some Law firms, whom our clients have been told to furnish documents or infos to Government people from places such as banks etc, and it can be annoying when they Govt pipu tell us they contacted these people via phone and have gotten right through and will be hassling our clients to speed things up, whilst we representing the client would still be waiting months for our correspondence to get to them at the bank and for someone to respond undecided Of course these Law firms didn't care cos they got paid by the hour cheesy
Re: What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa by SUKKIE(m): 10:48pm On Aug 05, 2009
@ poster
Sorry I got things mixed up.I tot there are no restrictions so long as the visa is still valid. Anyway,there is much ado abt nothing here,go ahead with ur application,u should be fine.
Re: What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa by demowo: 2:46pm On Sep 12, 2009
hello Guys,

I just wanted to let u guys know, i applied for my visa and i just got it, i did wot the guys said and i got it. thanks to kadman, sukkie and the rest of the guys.

@ busy body, u need to quit been so negative, most of ur posts are negative.
Re: What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa by kadman(m): 3:24pm On Sep 12, 2009
Arh my fellow akokaite !

I remember your case,congrats, I just even landed some days back. Congrats !
Re: What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa by Busybody2(f): 11:38pm On Sep 17, 2009
demowo:

hello Guys,

I just wanted to let u guys know, i applied for my visa and i just got it,  i did wot the guys said and i got it.  thanks to kadman, sukkie  and the rest of the guys.

@ busy body, u need to quit been so negative,  most of your posts are negative.

Some words are just bandied around by people without them knowing the meaning undecided What is negative about telling you to seek free legal advise? What is negative about answering your query in the affirmative that "yes the UKBA has a right to check your NI records" to see if you are working?

Yes you got off the hook now, but was it "permanent residency" you were granted, what reassurance do you have that this issue would not rear up its ugly head again e.g when you want to apply for extension of visa or permanent stay? Or do you think because you are the one who opened the thread, other people cannot gain from it too? So everyone that seeks advise should be given a pat on the back and told to go forth and apply without due dilligence? undecided

Two Postgraduate students from the University of Greenwich were deported this summer by UKBA for working more than 20 hours during the holiday period, because according to the immigration rules, they had still not submitted their dissertation, so had no right to undertake full-time employment, even though they had finished their studies and it was the holiday period whereby all international students could work full-time undecided undecided undecided

Now how did UKBA find out the hours worked if not through the NI contribution which was deemed too high for a part-timer? Abeg free me jare angry
Re: What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa by chyemma: 8:29pm On Sep 18, 2009
Hi Demowo congrats on your visa issuance,
Pls I would like to discuss some confidentail issues with you and to the house any one who will please give me details of how I can get a working holiday visa to the UK.
Your kind responses will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
Re: What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa by back2back(f): 9:22am On Sep 19, 2009
Two Postgraduate students from the University of Greenwich were deported this summer by UKBA for working more than 20 hours during the holiday period, because according to the immigration rules, they had still not submitted their dissertation, so had no right to undertake full-time employment, even though they had finished their studies and it was the holiday period whereby all international students could work full-time

Evidence?
Re: What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa by kadman(m): 11:24am On Sep 19, 2009
chyemma:

Hi Demowo congrats on your visa issuance,
Pls I would like to discuss some confidentail issues with you and to the house any one who will please give me details of how I can get a working holiday visa to the UK.
Your kind responses will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Confidential issues ? You already said everything

From what I know The Working Holiday Visa has been scarpped,and there are now new schemes in place - update yourself
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingintheuk/
Re: What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa by Busybody2(f): 1:03am On Sep 21, 2009
back2back:

Evidence?

Sit down dear u hia, wait I am coming, let me go and fetch you a bib and a feeding spoon and change of clothing in case you make any mess whilst I am spoon feeding you the evidence and the link angry angry angry

Gosh some people are sooooo rude angry Is it too much to add please to your request undecided undecided undecided
Re: What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa by demowo: 8:56am On Sep 23, 2009
@busy bodi, if u read the immigration rules properly, u would see a key word there, U MAY BE REFUSED, NOT u would be REFUSED, and over working 20hrs on student visa is not easily pardon in Uk. But My case was not as bad, and i wasnt Applying for Hsmp, But u were right about the rules, although they are a bit easy on some cases, if u benefit the uk govt and wont be a liability to the country, which i wasnt going to be,

If u watch Uk Boarder programme on sky u would see cases where people are in the country illegal but are sometimes pardon, so abeg the rules are flexible,

@chyemma thanks, Nigerians are no longer allowed to participate in the working holiday maker scheme, and the name has been changed, the easiest way for u to work in the uk presently is Hsmp, and the requirement are strict and specific, first if u dont have master u can forget about it, i would be glad to help u out any time,

Once again Thanks kadman,
Re: What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa by jaybee3(m): 9:14am On Sep 23, 2009
Busy_body:

Government Departments are not subjected to the Data Protection Act rule when faced with a "need to know" situation, because the only obvious reasons these information have been requested for, is to discharge their function under the Immigration Act or whatever Act the person requesting the info is calling for, which is done mainly to detect crime or fraud. All they have to be mindful of is the principles regarding privacy and disclosure.

They cannot be "done" for unlawful obtaining of personal data under Section 55 of the Data Protection Act, neither are they gonna be prosecuted and penalised under section 60 of the same Act because these sensitive datas have been requested for, in the interest of the public to prevent fraud and crime.

Yes we are. any information released under FOI act always get anonymised when confidential personal information are involved.
I used to work as an Info assurance analyst for my org (an independent NHS regulator) and DATA protection is core to our work.

Just to add, i currently work as an analyst programmer providing quantitative analysis on HES dataset (this house confidential information of all NHS patients) and only 3 people in an organisation of over 2k is allowed to access this data. We can't even share some fields (patient identifiable fields) with other analyst who go out to investigate so as not to have another Dr Shipman.
Re: What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa by Nobody: 11:11am On Sep 23, 2009
Busy_body:

Yes you got off the hook now, but was it "permanent residency" you were granted, what reassurance do you have that this issue would not rear up its ugly head again e.g when you want to apply for extension of visa or permanent stay? Or do you think because you are the one who opened the thread, other people cannot gain from it too? So everyone that seeks advise should be given a pat on the back and told to go forth and apply without due dilligence? undecided

There you go!! being negative again!!! easy gal!! Life is not that hard!!
Congrats @ Demowo, really happy for you
Re: What Would Happen If I Over Worked On My Working Holiday Visa by kadman(m): 11:56pm On Sep 23, 2009
@ BUSY BODY

FACT - You were probably right.
FACT - You are a very negative person,not just this thread,but every single thread I've seen your posts,and most times you're wrong. It's your nature,no need to deny it,embrace your negativity, some people are like that jare. . . It's allowed wink

(1) (2)

Some Lies And Myths Nigerians Abroad Tell Nigerias In Nigeria / Information About Sao Tome & Principe / Nigerian Man Warns People Do Not Travel To Belarus (photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.