Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,580 members, 7,812,898 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:34 PM

NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" (27531 Views)

‘internet Usage Low In Bayelsa, Yobe, Ebonyi States, Others’ / Whatsapp Postpones Usage Deadline / New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" by Craigston: 6:33am On Apr 09, 2016
I've been wary of their Terms, Conditions and Policies since they started their media parade. But they aren't much different from what we get now, except for these twists and some others.
On this thread (NTEL number reservation...), I had some reservations about some clauses I find sinister. And now this?
Their idea of what is 'reasonably expected of a private individual' is ridiculous at best. It's a whole new dimension of ridicule of loyal customers. It's as good as saying "hey idiots, we run this business and you cannot get 4G LTE service elsewhere (at least not now) so you MUST do as we say!"
The clauses read familiar with me and I think they're acting with reasons, although the actions are misdirected.
First, there's no reasonable ceiling on a private individual's data consumption. Certain conditions and requirements can push those limits. Suddenly, their well-intentioned policy hurt innocent customers.
For example, a sudden system upgrade (maybe a distro-upgrade) can require downloads in the neighborhood of 2GB or even more. Add regular usage and your daily cap is reached (and all-loving NTEL tortures you with the infamous 512bps).
What about a large download, from a file server that doesn't support resumed downloads, failing for reasons you couldn't avoid, and you have to resume the download?
What about large software like Visual Studio which can be downloaded legitimately from Microsoft's website (over 10GB of files)? Do I need to split it over days?
Really, this policy sucks!

Their commitment to control data usage is not unconnected to current international policies against pirates (no, good users) and piracy (no, community spirit). As noted in her book 'Internet Book Piracy', Gini Graham Scott does not prefer techniques of curtailing piracy that end up hurting legitimate users. Neither do I. Their rage against Bittorrent and other file sharing services is misdirected. Even organizations like Canonical prefer P2P connections due to the speed gains and reduced costs.
Telling us how intolerant of P2P connections they are is a bold hint that they'll be sniffing on your data, possibly looking at exactly what's inside your packets (like the mail man reading your letters and deciding whether you should receive each one or not). And what stops them? Our constitution is weak on that side.

We have our choice anyway (until the other corporations turn wolves and pierce those same unmerciful paws in our digital hearts). We can either choose or let them choose for us. But, if we follow them under these clauses, someone will definitely get bitten soon---by these same clauses. And they're just starting. I wonder how many more they'll add as the calf grows into a bull.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" by fuadnero(m): 6:33am On Apr 09, 2016
If it's 512bps, that's bull crap
Re: NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" by Nobody: 6:33am On Apr 09, 2016
Lagusta:
I don't see anything wrong in everything posted here.....

As u can see, it states that "during peak periods" "if 3GB, not 300mb is used" the speed would be throttled.....

And that's likely per day, from what I'm seeing....

So why the long face
What is peak period?
Re: NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" by hopeforcharles(m): 6:34am On Apr 09, 2016
laposta:

is your swift a mi-fi? How did you unlock it? I've been looking to unlock mine without success. all these online calculators na wash.

help a brother biko
You have to pay for the code, do a search and get a reliable paid services for unlocking
Re: NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" by EazyMoh(m): 6:39am On Apr 09, 2016
Make I get the SIM first.
Re: NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" by obafemi07066(m): 6:41am On Apr 09, 2016
guy one
Re: NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" by obafemi07066(m): 6:44am On Apr 09, 2016
pls hw do I get the sim?
Re: NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" by Rexyl(m): 6:46am On Apr 09, 2016
NTEL working abroad? The service within the country has neither being stable nor cover many places.
Re: NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" by ibietela2(m): 6:47am On Apr 09, 2016
For non commercial use? So i will just buy your SIM and then starting playing with it? I will buy a sim and come to Nairaland to start misbehaving like Omenka NgeneUkwenu and Passingshot

Every device i have bought from Smile to spectranet to MTN, glo and Airtel is for commercial use.

Go fuc.k yourselves

3 Likes

Re: NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" by Nobody: 6:50am On Apr 09, 2016
Lagusta:

As u can see, it states that "during peak periods" "if 3GB, not 300mb is used" the speed would be throttled.....

So why the long face

you don't see anything wrong?? Except there was a typo, i saw 512bps. What is a person supposed to do with that??
Re: NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" by Kriszzy01: 6:51am On Apr 09, 2016
Lagusta:

So why the long face
I wonder too.
Re: NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" by didfy: 6:53am On Apr 09, 2016
litetias:
512bps or 512kbps cos that 512bps means you are basically disconnected from the internet.
I think Ntel is saying in essence that you are allowed only 3gb every day which I think is okay for most users

No sir ir not what they said rather it says "peak"

6. At peak periods each day, any customer who has used a total volume of 3GB will be slowed down to 512bps.
Re: NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" by AfroKnight: 6:54am On Apr 09, 2016
This service is too useless abeg. Non commercial use only? 3GB daily data cap? Rubbish.

Please don't waste your money on these jokers. They are not ready for business.
Re: NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" by didfy: 6:55am On Apr 09, 2016
My question is : this network cannot be used for business?

10. Customers are only entitled to use our services for personal, non-commercial use. We reserve the right to impose network protection controls, limit the speed of, suspend or block your access to services, or disconnect you if your use is excessive and/or not in keeping with that reasonably expected of a private individual.
Re: NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" by poseidon12: 7:00am On Apr 09, 2016
okonja:

This is what I consumed in 4hrs 42 Mins .....Thanks to Airtel + the Unlocked Swift Modem undecided

I hope you paid for it. And I believe you should be charged commercial rate for that.
Re: NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" by einsteino(m): 7:01am On Apr 09, 2016
I was considering them but they just shot themselves on their foot. What is the use of a highspeed network that only allows you 3gb per day. On the average i download 6gb per day using normal networks like airtel. Nobody needs 250mbps if you can exceed fair usage in12seconds(3gb/250mbps). The way i see it most networks already have a good speed(ranges from 4mbps to 800kbps) , it is the data cap and cost that they need to work on. They are on a long thing, i dont think they would get a good market with this draconian policy.

1 Like

Re: NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" by Toroze(m): 7:01am On Apr 09, 2016
All this shouting is uncalled for, I'd like to say that if not for all this tweak that we are doing up and down most of us would actually know how to value our data. What they promised was a fast data network and all of what they've said so far has pointed to that single fact. Like really which network doesn't slow down at peak periods, try using GLO in the afternoon when everyone is online doing one thing or the other the speed reduces, and besides they said that this applies only to heavy data users. The fact they allow p2p such as torrents is something we should be grateful for, how many countries allow that. in case most of you don't know it actually is a crime in some places unless I'm mistaken. I'm not praising them tho but all I'm saying is before you guys bury them give them a chance, let's see if they can perform. - my2cowries

2 Likes

Re: NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" by Leopantro: 7:03am On Apr 09, 2016
Lagusta:

So why the long face

Try and update to windows 10, forget that your torrent is on, play online games on your PS4, stream a movie of Netflix, etc during working hours and your usage of the network id throttled. For an LTE network that's draconian.

1 Like

Re: NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" by Nobody: 7:10am On Apr 09, 2016
Of course...what Nigeria needs is....BROADBAND.

But we do not have the backbone needed. Sigh.
Re: NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" by farajitwins(m): 7:17am On Apr 09, 2016
I love this, where is Ntel office.
Re: NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" by hardeydhoying(m): 7:27am On Apr 09, 2016
okonja:

This is what I consumed in 4hrs 42 Mins .....Thanks to Airtel + the Unlocked Swift Modem undecided

Unlocked Swift Modem had been saving me from Glo Internet interruption.

Glo is now so reliable as long as it's in Swift Modem. smiley
Re: NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" by timbros(m): 7:28am On Apr 09, 2016
Leopantro:

Try and update to windows 10, forget that your torrent is on, play online games on your PS4, stream a movie of Netflix, etc during working hours and your usage of the network id throttled. For an LTE network that's draconian.

Play games and stream videos during working hours? How's that even possible?

1 Like

Re: NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" by Funjosh(m): 7:28am On Apr 09, 2016
Its not compulsory to be with their network na, you make sense I stay with you, you don't make sense I dump you.

Please check my signature to #SaveLola

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" by berniceunice: 7:30am On Apr 09, 2016
Suntemi:

If your Mifi is Huawei E5372, drop the imei number, but it's one of those online calculators I used to unlock mine.
Can anybody pls help me unlock
GLO NETPRO modem HSUPA USB stick
MODEL:MF110
ZTE corporation
IMEI:356420046853024
Re: NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" by berniceunice: 7:32am On Apr 09, 2016
hardeydhoying:

Can u help me with this GLO NETPRO modem HSUPA USB stick MODEL:MF110 ZTE corporation IMEI:356420046853024
Re: NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" by timbros(m): 7:36am On Apr 09, 2016
So far Ntel is making sense.

It's only tweakers that will complain about this restriction. And it's this tweaking that makes many people misuse their data. I don't see what one will be downloading CONSISTENTLY with 3gb and above DAILY. Do you run a cyber cafe? Well Ntel have said that their service is not for commercial use.

Afterall we buy data of 3gb and less FOR A MONTH and manage it for up to 2 weeks or more.

Allowing you to use 3gb daily translates to 90gb per month. It's very okay in my own opinion. And I'm more than sure it will be okay for everyone if there are no tweaks, if you actually pay for what you use.

3 Likes

Re: NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" by Leopantro: 7:36am On Apr 09, 2016
timbros:

Play games and stream videos during working hours? How's that even possible?

So you think everyone that everyone that browses must be at work? What about those on holiday or your home network for visitors?
If your computer uses windows 10 with its compulsory windows update, you will finish 3gig in a day. You can't shut it off
Re: NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" by wristbangle: 7:36am On Apr 09, 2016
hardeydhoying:

If you use 21.6MBph glo bolt modem, u will throw that swift modem away. Even @ peak period, I still get 3MB/s, off peak period, na Usain Bolt.
Re: NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" by timbros(m): 7:45am On Apr 09, 2016
Leopantro:

So you think everyone that everyone that browses must be at work? What about those on holiday or your home network for visitors?
If your computer uses windows 10 with its compulsory windows update, you will finish 3gig in a day. You can't shut it off

And you are on holidays consistently that 3gb won't be enough for you daily? Does your windows 10 update everyday?

Yes, there are days one use up much more volume of data than other days. But the way you guys are complaining here makes it look like AVERAGE OF 3gb daily is bad.

Does your data usage average more than 3gb daily?

1 Like

Re: NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" by TeddyPendergrass(m): 7:45am On Apr 09, 2016
am on ipNX fibre optic broadband with internet speed of 54mbps
40G for 10K
Re: NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" by nelcliff(m): 7:48am On Apr 09, 2016
okonja:

Guy, na u dey download movies and bundle them in CD dey sell for alaba international?
no wonder u dey consume such data in 4:42 minutes.
nor even say no becos e nor get wetin u dey do online where go take such data within tht time frame if not downloading of movies. anyway, the hustle is real keep it up. sorry I sighted ur handle.... 18g plus.
Re: NTEL: Check Out The "Fair Usage Policy" by Suntemi(m): 7:50am On Apr 09, 2016
berniceunice:

Can anybody pls help me unlock
GLO NETPRO modem HSUPA USB stick
MODEL:MF110
ZTE corporation
IMEI:356420046853024

I can't unlock this.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Check Out The Cheapest 4G Phones In Nigeria Market Presently / How To Set Up And Run Fastboot Commands Without A PC. / OPPO A78 Unboxing, First Impressions And Full Review + Price (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.