Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,074 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:17 AM

Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) (31845 Views)

UNIBEN Students Protest Increase In Fees, Senate Shuts Down School (Photos) / Akwa Ibom Polytechnic Students Protest & Block School Gate Over Hike In Fees(pix / Ambrose Alli University Students Protest Hike In Fees, Storm Oba's Palace (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) by passionate88: 11:53am On Apr 11, 2016
otokx:

School will be closed down indefinitely, after some time all students will be asked to bring their parents to sign undertaking and pay for damages.
This is serious. This thing don tire person sef.
Re: Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 11:53am On Apr 11, 2016
kaeforum:
The fees posted for the schools mentioned is incorrect, any fresher entering any govt tertiary school isnt paying less than N120,000= in his/ her first yr.

The least amount of fees is n120,000=

The uniport students should get their facts right.
In Unilag Year 1 student pays less than 70k and regular pays 15k. Please correct that notion.
Re: Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) by Nobody: 11:55am On Apr 11, 2016
MadCow1:

And look at one of the Morons that the Government is subsidizing his tuition fees.. grin grin grin

#Spits..
You don't know me neither do I know you.I can afford to pay school fees for ten fu.cks like you!!! Get off my "mentions" you fool!!!
Re: Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) by dearpiriye: 11:56am On Apr 11, 2016
kaeforum:
The fees posted for the schools mentioned is incorrect, any fresher entering any govt tertiary school isnt paying less than N120,000= in his/ her first yr.

The least amount of fees is n120,000=

The uniport students should get their facts right.
get your facts right. I didn't spend up to 40k for school and accommodation fees at UI as a fresh student.
Re: Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 11:58am On Apr 11, 2016
guymanDspecies:
A revolution is deserved in that school. The cost of things are outrageous. Imagine paying over 20k to collect original certificate. Imagine statutory and non-statutory fee to extort students. Thank God student are now standing up, their voices have been clouded in that school for a long time.
20k what, that is too much. In Unilag you pay 5k for certificate. Even the school self dey owe me 5k for returning their graduation gown. I support you guys but do not vandalise school's properties.
Re: Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) by comradee1248: 11:58am On Apr 11, 2016
mrtheo33:
You are a smelling IDIOT. You are completely senseless. FOOL
let me be what ever u call me 1trillion times... Yeebos can not be president Of Nigeria, the thing go just dey rotate from south south, west and nothing for u dulard yeebos
Re: Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) by otokx(m): 11:59am On Apr 11, 2016
Senior Staff Club totally vandalized

Peaceful demonstrators indeed.
Re: Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) by MadCow1: 11:59am On Apr 11, 2016
kaeforum:

You are wrong there, education is a right for every child, if we operated on the basis of being rich before going to school, slavery would not have ended.

FYI the so called rich people actually obtain govt scholarships and grants, they dont pay the correct taxes on their incomes.

And you re still living in ignorance of events surrounding this process. Lets just say you re functionally illiterate. grin

Thanks for the response..

I will first start by correcting your opening line: Basic Education is a Right, University Education is not under Nigerian Laws.. grin (Research this if you please)

I did not say give out free scholarship, I said "MERIT" scholarship. Meaning the benefactors of the scholarship would be based on merit. Meaning your CGPA is tied to your scholarship. Private entities can also introduce 'Sports Scholarship" like obtains in the U.S. If you are good at a sport and can maintain a set grade point, your tuition is paid. Should you drop during the course of your schooling, you lose your scholarship.

There is also the option of Student Grants/loans.

But I maintain that no University can function the way ours do. Equipment in the Labs need to be regularly replaced, repaired and upgraded, Heavy Machines, buses, vehicles, e.t.c all need to be serviced regularly and maintained and replaced. School furniture's, office supplies, logistic costs, sundry.. All these cost real money that the Government grants cant cater for. Thats why most of the buildings in these Universities are rundown.

I maintain that the Government should grant the Universities autonomy abd allow them set their fees and generate income however they can via whaever means.

The Government also needs to dis band GCE, NECO and JAMB and leave on WAEC as the examination body for secondary school leavers.

UNIVERSITY EDUCATION IS NOT A RIGHT... Scholarship is the way forward.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) by Obiwiz(m): 12:01pm On Apr 11, 2016
MadCow1:
Wait! Wait!! Wait!!!!

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3589029_img20160411wa0006_jpeg6e024fdffeca87af1284352eb21f3eec

Are these really the school fees of these Universities? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

No wonder Nigerian Universities are shiit! shocked shocked shocked

A miserly 45,000 Naira for a University Education? I know Daycares that charge more than 10 times that amount.

I'm sorry but this shiit has got to stop. The Government cant keep playing this type of useless politics with our lives. Quality Education can not be achieved with this type of poor income into the Universities coupled with the poor funding from the Government. Hstory has shown us that everything the Government of Nigeria has touched always fails. Its time the Nigerian Universities become autonomous.

Universities should be allowed to fund themselves and set their fee rate.

All the Nigerian Government should do is set up a merit based scholarship system for qualified students.

No wonder many of them come out of the university as advanced illiterates.

Crucify me, but i remember a saying; If you think education is expensive,try ignorance.
You should start by analyzing average income and fg minimum wage.
Re: Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) by wisest10: 12:01pm On Apr 11, 2016
MadCow1:
Wait! Wait!! Wait!!!!

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3589029_img20160411wa0006_jpeg6e024fdffeca87af1284352eb21f3eec

Are these really the school fees of these Universities? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

A miserly 45,000 Naira for a University Education? I know Daycares that charge more than 10 times that amount.

I'm sorry but this shiit has got to stop. The Government cant keep playing this type of useless politics with our lives. Quality Education can not be achieved with this type of poor income into the Universities coupled with the poor funding from the Government. Hstory has shown us that everything the Government of Nigeria has touched always fails. Its time the Nigerian Universities become autonomous.

All the Nigerian Government should do is set up a merit based scholarship system for qualified students.

Crucify me, but i remember a saying; If you think education is expensive,try ignorance.
i will not crucify u but pray for u....dis is my prayer ''that God will bring u and ur family to the kind of situation these agrieved student are in, so that u will undastand y they protest and that God should even make ur situation a little harder than theirs'' if u truly bliv in what u wrote up there say Amen....d fact dat u are up does not mean dat every one is up....after all a person does not known how painful a d burn of a fire is unless he get burnt himself.....i mean no harm, just put ur self in their shoes....although d protest is not peaceful...
Re: Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) by MadCow1: 12:04pm On Apr 11, 2016
Rolly83:

You don't know me neither do I know you.I can afford to pay school fees for ten fu.cks like you!!! Get off my "mentions" you fool!!!

Look at this basic nigga..

Biitch you quoted me. I only responded to your fuckery.

Secondly I doubt you can afford my tuition fees.. grin Seriously boy, don't embarrass yourself.

Feel free to engage me in a constructive debate on this subject but don't come bragging to me about shiit you have or can afford cos you really don't want to go there with me.
Re: Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) by amunkita(m): 12:07pm On Apr 11, 2016
comradee1248:
Na all this omoyeebos cause am...they can never be president in the next 100yrs

The inherent Ara di nah ur family will only keep ur spiting all ur life..

Conceived by Usu ibadan..
Re: Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 12:07pm On Apr 11, 2016
femi4:
Common 45k, not enough to even pay for creche elsewhere
You want them to go and steal. Do you think life is rosy like the way you think. In Unilag during my school days, some students can't even afford 15k for school fees. Some had to borrow money with interest from fellow students like them.
Re: Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) by MadCow1: 12:09pm On Apr 11, 2016
wisest10:
i will not crucify u but pray for u....dis is my prayer ''that God will bring u and ur family to the kind of situation these agrieved student are in, so that u will undastand y they protest and that God should even make ur situation a little harder than theirs'' if u truly bliv in what u wrote up there say Amen....d fact dat u are up does not mean dat every one is up....after all a person does not known how painful a d burn of a fire is unless he get burnt himself.....i mean no harm, just put ur self in their shoes....although d protest is not peaceful...

Prayers!! grin Really!!

Lol..

I have nothing against you nor your family and as you wish me, so shall it be in your life as well..

Now that we are done with this fuckery, can we move on to having an educated debate on the points I raised or would you rather stick with your sentimental bullshit..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) by otokx(m): 12:10pm On Apr 11, 2016
All the female hostels in Delta Park vandalized.
Re: Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) by MadCow1: 12:13pm On Apr 11, 2016
Obiwiz:

You should start by analyzing average income and fg minimum wage.

Good Point..

Thats why I proffered alternatives like 'merit base scholarships', student loans/grants, e.t.c.

Example: The kid from UNILAG that landed a perfect score should not have to pay a dime for his University degree.. The kid struggling with a third class would have to pay to stay in school. Merit based. The better your grades, the less you pay. Or you take a student loan and repay it after graduation.
Re: Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) by missyadorable(f): 12:18pm On Apr 11, 2016
otokx:
All the female hostels in Delta Park vandalized.

Lecture halls in Abuja campus)EtF,Cbn,clinical faculty vandalized

Who is going to suffer this?

The same students
Re: Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) by SucreB: 12:19pm On Apr 11, 2016
MadCow1:
Wait! Wait!! Wait!!!!

The Laptops and Phones of most of these students cast more than their tuition.

WHAT ARE YOU SAYING
Re: Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 12:19pm On Apr 11, 2016
Lyoncrescent:
Only In Nigeria will this nonsense happen. And to even think almighty UNILAG students pay 17500 Naira for school fees. Thats less than 100 dollars at CBN rate o.

And yet its the same Schools that will say they want world class facilities. Every Public University should be autonomous and run themselves and should only receive research grants and endowments based on quality of research from government.

If You attended a public univeristy in Nigeria, Congrats to you. You were on scholarship. Theres no way the school fees you paid could have funded your uni. The repercussion of this is that the Nigerian Government is spending heavily to subsidize the school fees uni students pay thus resulting in a neglect of public primary and secondary schools. Goodluck opened 7 new universities. WHen last did any Nigerian government open a new Federal Government college in any state ? When last did any state governor open a new public primary school ? The end result is that most of us reading this will never send our children to public primary schools which we should if it was up to standard. A cheap quality private primary school in Lagos costs 30-50 thousand naira per term and from 100k per year.

On the Average, you will discover that in Nigeria it is more expensive to get quality primary education than University Education. Ask around and you will see quality primary school education is much more expensive than what these students are protesting for.

This is wierd because primary school is for everyone while university is not. But what can we do when government continues to heavily subsidize Higher education while neglecting the foundation ?

You have got a point.
As an educationist, the basic education is Pre-primary/Primary to Secondary education. Higher education is just a plus but, Nigerian government have tried and still trying her best for her citizens to get higher education despite all the challenges facing the country at large. If our govt should take hands of our higher institution only few people would be able to afford higher education.
Re: Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) by otokx(m): 12:21pm On Apr 11, 2016
missyadorable:

Lecture halls in Abuja campus)EtF,Cbn,clinical faculty vandalized

Who is going to suffer this?

The same students

This thing may be politically motivated to portray Buhari as an oppressor, its a pity even within the school mgt they have those on both sides of the divide.

1 Like

Re: Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) by passionate88: 12:36pm On Apr 11, 2016
otokx:

This thing may be politically motivated to portray Buhari as an oppressor, its a pity even within the school mgt they have those on both sides of the divide.
It isn't politically motivated, The VC is just being stubborn or trying to be strict.
Re: Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) by fiftynaira(m): 12:37pm On Apr 11, 2016
12:37 pm

Students are still out in the scorching sun dancing to music being played by a disk jockey (DJ)
Re: Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) by Nobody: 12:39pm On Apr 11, 2016
MadCow1:
Wait! Wait!! Wait!!!!

Those figures are Very incorrect...undecided

My school's among one of those.. and it's like twice the amount written up there...45,550 is way too low...
Re: Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) by Nobody: 12:41pm On Apr 11, 2016
MadCow1:
Wait! Wait!! Wait!!!!

Very very very true.

The problem is,most Nigerians think that university education should be cheap because....it was like that during our parents time.

And when my father graduated, the total number of Nigerian university students was far less than the current number of students at my old alma mater.

We have to face reality....if we want quality education, we may have to raise fees.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) by otokx(m): 12:47pm On Apr 11, 2016
passionate88:
It isn't politically motivated, The VC is just being stubborn or trying to be strict.

First time in history, all year 1 students have matriculation number before today. That is what you call being stubborn or trying to be strict.

Dancing to DJ that was hired by who?? People that don't have money for fees. It's alright.
Re: Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) by Nobody: 12:49pm On Apr 11, 2016
Gaddafithe2nd:

Mr man, what are you saying. In the 60s and 70s Nigerians went to school for free in both University, Polytechnic and COE. They even eat for free back then.

In 1979.....the total number of students in Nigerian universities was 80,000...spread across six universities

Now it is 2million.If not higher.

That is why in the 60's and 70'S...students could go to school for ''free''.

And thanks to falling oil revenues...we do not have enough cash to fund unis adequately.

We need N1.5 trillion naira yearly to adequately fund universities well...and even that cash is not enough.Our budget is N6-8TRILLION. See the problem.
Re: Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) by DrUche3(m): 1:07pm On Apr 11, 2016
@OP, pls, modify the topic of this thread; the protest is not as a result of school fees increment but for disallowing indebted students from partaking in the exam, scheduled to have begun today and which to some people mean extra year! Thanks.
Re: Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) by Nobody: 1:11pm On Apr 11, 2016
This is just a case of students becoming MONSTERS. To think they picked the perfect time for their protest- on the first day of exam.
I know a few people who can't afford the fees, I even know someone who had to leave school few weeks ago due to the deadline for payment. But most of those protesting? a lot of 'em will definitely be able to brag about the super expensive gadgets (mobile devices e. t. c) they use.
Most of these same students "that can't afford fees" pay rents for their houses at about 100k on the average.
We all just have to agree that the money the school gets is not enough to fund the system. Or did they hear of most of the lecturers getting pay cuts? They probably didn't.
N45000 is way way below what a university needs per student.

My take is that these protesters are just lazy. And are definitely more myopic and fraudulent than those they're protesting against.

It's even shameful to call this act of vandalism a protest.
Stealing school properties amongst others.

Sneak preview to about a year old AEB building.

Re: Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) by lordthree(m): 1:14pm On Apr 11, 2016
otokx:
Senior Staff Club totally vandalized

Peaceful demonstrators indeed.
Lol senior staff club lale just renovated, even put a swimming pool there cheesycheesy
Re: Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) by lordthree(m): 1:26pm On Apr 11, 2016
fiftynaira:
12:37 pm

Students are still out in the scorching sun dancing to music being played by a disk jockey (DJ)
Stupid students, I paid 50k last year in that same uniport, I paid 10k just to do my project defense December last year, I know how much I have paid for my ungoing clearance and these students are vandalizing offices over 45k.

Truth be told 95% of students in uniport leave off campus this costs 100,000 and above, they use expensive phones and laptops and still think 45k is too much, the sad part is students tend to spend their school fees thinking they can pay later just so they can lead false lifestyles in school.

Stupid idiots they don't realize doing this is just to their own detriment, and this is going to have an adverse effect on us trying to get cleared so we go for Nysc by June! And they are out there dancing to music! I weep for Nigeria
Re: Increase In Fees: Uniport Students Protest, Block East West Road (pix) by otokx(m): 1:30pm On Apr 11, 2016
Protesters dancing to DJ, eating and cooking indomie while still blocking the East West road.

Weather is changing, gunshots are being heard, looks like the party is over.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Carry Over Is Ruining My Life Please Help Me / UNN Nursing Students Stand To Write Test Under The Sun (Video) / Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.