Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,163 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:47 AM

Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations (30876 Views)

Abbreviations Many Use On Daily Basis Without Knowing The Full Meaning / Important Abbreviations You Might Not Know / Meanings Of These Filling Station Abbreviations: PMS, AGO, DPK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Eeroh95(m): 10:27pm On Apr 12, 2016
Jesus thank you op

Naso wan idiot girl wey my friend say make I show her motor pack...when I ask the mumu where she dey go she was like

I am going to IB. (Ibadan)

And I was like go to that MP (Motor park)without pointing to any direction

Na she con confuse
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Surfboard(m): 10:30pm On Apr 12, 2016
jojo1man:
When ever someone close to me writes in abriviation, I reply him or her that I don't have a dictionary for abriviation and that it will. Be better next time to spell the word in full so that I can understand.most of them start writing properly after that

I've had that problem a lot while chatting and more often than not, it creates a communication gap between whoever is on the other end and me.

I just hope more people wean themselves of the need to abbreviate.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Surfboard(m): 10:35pm On Apr 12, 2016
modath:
Wht do u xpct m 2 say abt dis ur aticul now? smiley
Haha, already seen what you did.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Babyphinas(f): 10:38pm On Apr 12, 2016
Lol
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Surfboard(m): 10:49pm On Apr 12, 2016
dapipson:
Even though you may be right in your own ways, avoiding it may not help because it has its own importance as well. Just imagine yourself receiving lectures, a Secretary or a journalist, how will you avoid short forms/abbreviations without missing some vital points? You can't avoid them. I am a teacher and I do teach my students short forms/abbreviations; their importance and implications.

Although you have a point, I'd disagree with you depending on the level of students you teach. If you're teaching primary or secondary school students, they should be spelling and not being taught abbreviations. At that stage, it's easier to learn and grow into the habit of spelling words correctly. Language is best taught that way.

When they grow older, they won't even need to use abbreviations, and their spoken and written english will be better.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Sistem007(m): 10:55pm On Apr 12, 2016
eitsei:
Many people don't know it's a bad habit they think it's faster to type that way but recently almost everyone is using Android and all these Android phones have spell checker, so why can't they make use of it?

lolz, u realize u'v lost ur spelling skill when u start using spell checkers...when almost everything u try to type correctly has an error somewhere. smiley

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Surfboard(m): 10:57pm On Apr 12, 2016
Eeroh95:
Jesus thank you op

Naso wan idiot girl wey my friend say make I show her motor pack...when I ask the mumu where she dey go she was like

I am going to IB. (Ibadan)

And I was like go to that MP (Motor park)without pointing to any direction

Na she con confuse

This really made me laugh out loud.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by omosito: 11:13pm On Apr 12, 2016
RobinHez:
Permit me to say there are good abbreviations and bad abbreviations. lipsrsealed

give examples please.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by MrHackmed1(m): 11:34pm On Apr 12, 2016
I'm sorry OP, but I'm so used to "QWERTY" keys that I don't abbreviate for once
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Blackkie: 11:52pm On Apr 12, 2016
My WAEC students were using this in their essay writing
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by DedeNkem: 12:00am On Apr 13, 2016
Only Nigerians do it. Majority of the population use dumb abbreviations to create "English" sentence, which makes it difficult to differentiate between illiterates and the so-called graduates.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Megilicious(f): 12:08am On Apr 13, 2016
It Almost Happened To Me In An Exam, I Couldnt Spell "this" Wat Kept Coming 2 My Head Was "dis" Chai,
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Nobody: 12:09am On Apr 13, 2016
Surfboard:
It is common among the youth of today to type in abbreviations. On all form of social media and online fora, down to applications for chatting, we are getting further immersed in this 21st century phenomenon. What are its gains? I don't see any. Disadvantages? I'll list a few.

1. It affects our spelling. At the beginning, you think you have it under control, in fact you do. However, like all bad habits, it creeps up on you and before you know it, you can't spell as well as you used to. You then spell a word like 'enough' as 'enuf' and think it's right.

2. You get so used to abbreviating, you start to include in official correspondence. This goes from students in examinations to young job seekers in their applications. Heck, adults are not left out as some make these mistakes in business proposals. What this means in society is a situation like we have now where employers of labour are lamenting that Nigerian graduates are unemployable.

3. We may be setting a wrong trend for the next generation. It's all good, in fact, brilliant to be technologically savvy and all, but it shouldn't end there. We should teach those coming after us why they need to use technology the right way. One of the things they should be taught is how to spell. If we do, we'd be raising a generation positioned to make a positive impact in society. Our parents endeavoured that we be taught how to spell, so please let's help the younger generation achieve that too.

Feel free to add yours also. Thanks

I disagree though, consultants and investors (highly educated) abbreviate most times. The world has changed - adapt!
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Megilicious(f): 12:10am On Apr 13, 2016
Blackkie:
My WAEC students were using this in their essay writing

Plenty Sec Students Think Exam Writing Is The Same As Writing Texts And Chating, Very Bad
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Dynamite02: 12:39am On Apr 13, 2016
Gordieshegz:

Sir, your resolve and the instance of "thou" for "you" and "art" for "are" sounded great so to say..
These former spellings were generally accepted before they changed to the forms we are having today..
My question is can you be chatting with say a British using words like "u" for "you", "d" for the and expects to make sense out of it?
Yahoo boys can tell better in that wise...
So you're very sure it won't make sense to them, esp. in an informal setting? From experience they'll understand ...no qualms there.
You are chatting with a messenger or on any social network platform(informal) and you're writing a report or presentation (formal),these settings are different ....a smart person should know what to do at the right time.
Most of us can speak our local dialect, but whenever situation requires otherwise you switch...shikinaa!!!! Noting spoil there.

Abi as I write "esp." U nor grab? Hand nor the tire person to type? Na small thing to type "especially"?...esp. when u get many things to type. Abi na me abbreviate "Doctor" to "Dr",Address to "Addr","adjective" to "adj.","August" to "Aug"? Go check Oxford dictionary them dey there..... If the British can exhibit their right, I can as well exhibit mine,if he doesn't understand then he should go get an interpreter
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Sunnycliff(m): 6:50am On Apr 13, 2016
blackb2:

You must be joking with failure (if you're still in school) or joblessness if you're unemployed.

Selah.

Oga I nid a job. Pls epp sm1
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Nobody: 7:13am On Apr 13, 2016
JeffreyJamez:
Very irritating.. the moment I notice this habit in someone, I no longer initiat chats with him/her. I don't take such people serious.

It is not true. You are the one who is not serious
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Debbywills(f): 8:04am On Apr 13, 2016
Op thumb up for this post, I was actually a victim of this, and I almost let go of a golden opportunity. Twas like a usual thing, not until I realized the mess I had done.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Nobody: 8:34am On Apr 13, 2016
Surfboard:

Although you have a point, I'd disagree with you depending on the level of students you teach. If you're teaching primary or secondary school students, they should be spelling and not being taught abbreviations. At that stage, it's easier to learn and grow into the habit of spelling words correctly. Language is best taught that way.

When they grow older, they won't even need to use abbreviations, and their spoken and written English will be better.
You are also right but as they grow older that is when they will realise the significance of abbreviations as it quickens their speed of note taking especially during public functions/lectures.

I also concur that teaching students abbreviations at an age when they are still battling with how to order the English letters to form words is inappropriate but it's appropriate for students who have outgrown this stage to know the significance/implications of using abbreviations because they can't avoid them during extensive reading.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Nadoson1(m): 8:52am On Apr 13, 2016
I am deeply AFFECTED on the saga, imagine that a friend discovered that i abbreviated some words in one application i wanted to submit and i have also discovered that i hardly spelt correctly because of social media. i think i am trying to correct my self before it bad tags me.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by chimmyluv90: 9:37am On Apr 13, 2016
I dey tell u,,,,numba 2 really affected me in ma skul days....durin exams i always catch masef usin abbreviations buh i correct dem immediately sha...lolz
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by TheMadame(f): 9:39am On Apr 13, 2016
If you write to me,using silly and irritating abbreviations, I will not read it,neither will I reply you. simple as ABC.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by blackb2(m): 12:37pm On Apr 13, 2016
Sunnycliff:

Oga I nid a job. Pls epp sm1

Ok, can you kiss my ass?

Answer this so we can talk about the next phase wink
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Sunnycliff(m): 12:43pm On Apr 13, 2016
blackb2:

Ok, can you kiss my ass?
Answer this so we can talk about the next phase wink

smh?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Our Lecturers Will Leave This Country After The ASUU Strike - ASUU President / 16 Pictures You Can Relate To If You're Attending A Nigerian University / Russia University Introduces Yoruba Language & Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.