Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,178 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:16 AM

Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations (30848 Views)

Abbreviations Many Use On Daily Basis Without Knowing The Full Meaning / Important Abbreviations You Might Not Know / Meanings Of These Filling Station Abbreviations: PMS, AGO, DPK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Lovexme(m): 6:19pm On Apr 12, 2016
modath:

You "k" or "kk" me, I'm ignoring you.

It's too bad, I tell you.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Lovexme(m): 6:20pm On Apr 12, 2016
JeffreyJamez:

The most annoying is "yhu" instead of "you"....I mean they're literally the same number of letters!!

Just imagine. To them it's a fancy way of spelling.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by JeffreyJamez(m): 6:25pm On Apr 12, 2016
Lovexme:

Just imagine. To them it's a fancy way of spelling.

To me it's retarded.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Sunnycliff(m): 6:25pm On Apr 12, 2016
sexymoma:
see wetin we dey talk angry
so u dey free baa??
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Sunnycliff(m): 6:25pm On Apr 12, 2016
latinoKingdom:
you are a typical example lol

so I Don fail exam na?
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Xtopher123(m): 6:27pm On Apr 12, 2016
I never liked abbreviations

The one I hated the most was 'K'

After typing a long text, the idiot replies with just 'K' .. Mofo angry
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Namdeenero(m): 6:28pm On Apr 12, 2016
I hope bae sees this. Girls be typing what someone can't understand... Most annoying is "kk", and Dafuq is "2moa"

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by christlux(m): 6:28pm On Apr 12, 2016
Kk, tnks 4 d advcs..

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Nobody: 6:30pm On Apr 12, 2016
language always evolves. you can never stop it, no matter how much you try.

there was a time when "say" was "saith" and "do" was "doeth" and "know" was "knoweth"

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Ifebazz(m): 6:34pm On Apr 12, 2016
Apart from making youths not know spellings, lots no longer know difference between simple words like 'am' for 'I'm' (which is the correct abbreviation of 'I am'), 'there' for 'their', 'kk' for 'okay' plus so much more.
Its very disheartening that they do this on official levels. Exams, resume etc. You even see celebrities making grievous mistakes online.

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Dynamite02: 6:34pm On Apr 12, 2016
Back then there was short hand in secondary school curriculum ,don't know about now.
A smart intelligent person knows when to use what and when not to use w@. If you can't pull it off perfectly then abide by the op's advice
Once upon a time "thou" meant "you" and "art" was "are"
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by eitsei(m): 6:34pm On Apr 12, 2016
toyeanlawlah:

lyk ure nt also involved in d act..... :-
I'm a changed man by the way.. Lol
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by VISTIN(m): 6:35pm On Apr 12, 2016
makingsense:
U try oo

A sinner in the house spotted
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Dynamite02: 6:35pm On Apr 12, 2016
Back then there was short hand in secondary school curriculum ,don't know about now.
A smart intelligent person knows when to use what and when not to use w@. If you can't pull it off perfectly, then abide by the op's advice
Once upon a time "thou" meant "you" and "art" was "are"
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by EMEKA1MILLION(m): 6:35pm On Apr 12, 2016
Wait until u see some names on Facebook like, horluwafhemi, hardehrohnke, holumidhe, fholuhkeh... I just wonder if they are mad already... undecided

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Odunharry(m): 6:36pm On Apr 12, 2016
Thanks to Jaybee3.. Few years ago he criticized my writing in abbreviation and it really helped me.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by eitsei(m): 6:37pm On Apr 12, 2016
Checked86:

That spell checker is not good either. There was time I depended on it and it nearly ruined my life(my spelling life). That time I cared less of what I would write knowing full well that they would always provide me with the correct spelling. Until I could not spell SHALL(I was wondering about, could it be shaa or shal)
you know there are some spell checkers that can save new words that are not on your dictionary, so if you save a new word it will always show when you type the first letter. So I'll say maybe it's what you saved
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by jojo1man(m): 6:38pm On Apr 12, 2016
When ever someone close to me writes in abriviation, I reply him or her that I don't have a dictionary for abriviation and that it will. Be better next time to spell the word in full so that I can understand.most of them start writing properly after that
Surfboard:
It is common among the youth of today to type in abbreviations. On all form of social media and online fora, down to applications for chatting, we are getting further immersed in this 21st century phenomenon. What are its gains? I don't see any. Disadvantages? I'll list a few.

1. It affects our spelling. At the beginning, you think you have it under control, in fact you do. However, like all bad habits, it creeps up on you and before you know it, you can't spell as well as you used to. You then spell a word like 'enough' as 'enuf' and think it's right.

2. You get so used to abbreviating, you start to include in official correspondence. This goes from students in examinations to young job seekers in their applications. Heck, adults are not left out as some make these mistakes in business proposals. What this means in society is a situation like we have now where employers of labour are lamenting that Nigerian graduates are unemployable.

3. We may be setting a wrong trend for the next generation. It's all good, in fact, brilliant to be technologically savvy and all, but it shouldn't end there. We should teach those coming after us why they need to use technology the right way. One of the things they should be taught is how to spell. If we do, we'd be raising a generation positioned to make a positive impact in society. Our parents endeavoured that we be taught how to spell, so please let's help the younger generation achieve that too.

Feel free to add yours also. Thanks
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by eitsei(m): 6:39pm On Apr 12, 2016
livhorgng:
No they do it to save there 4 naira from MTN etc BUT never knew its too bad.
hmmmm... Yeah, maybe that but now that you know it's bad you can change
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Ifebazz(m): 6:40pm On Apr 12, 2016
tintingz:
Very annoying, girls are good in abbreviations/abbreviating.
The reason girls are more into it can be traced to their lack of adequate spelling skills and profound laziness.

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by blackb2(m): 6:40pm On Apr 12, 2016
Sunnycliff:
ar u sure, pls trow more lyt

Continue...

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by ladycomfort(f): 6:41pm On Apr 12, 2016
I so much hate this abbreviation stuff especially on whatapp. angry
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Senorprinz(m): 6:42pm On Apr 12, 2016
olarhtunji:

OK you have a girlfriend
hahaha, exactly what i thought when i saw the comment.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by sydneywhite(f): 6:43pm On Apr 12, 2016
Surfboard:
It is common among the youth of today to type in abbreviations. On all form of social media and online fora, down to applications for chatting, we are getting further immersed in this 21st century phenomenon. What are its gains? I don't see any. Disadvantages? I'll list a few.

1. It affects our spelling. At the beginning, you think you have it under control, in fact you do. However, like all bad habits, it creeps up on you and before you know it, you can't spell as well as you used to. You then spell a word like 'enough' as 'enuf' and think it's right.

2. You get so used to abbreviating, you start to include in official correspondence. This goes from students in examinations to young job seekers in their applications. Heck, adults are not left out as some make these mistakes in business proposals. What this means in society is a situation like we have now where employers of labour are lamenting that Nigerian graduates are unemployable.

3. We may be setting a wrong trend for the next generation. It's all good, in fact, brilliant to be technologically savvy and all, but it shouldn't end there. We should teach those coming after us why they need to use technology the right way. One of the things they should be taught is how to spell. If we do, we'd be raising a generation positioned to make a positive impact in society. Our parents endeavoured that we be taught how to spell, so please let's help the younger generation achieve that too.

[s]
Surfboard:

[/s]
Surfboard:

Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by brizzyng(m): 6:44pm On Apr 12, 2016
yes, your right, nice post.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by brizzyng(m): 6:47pm On Apr 12, 2016
please guys, how can i also create a new topic ?
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Senorprinz(m): 6:48pm On Apr 12, 2016
Chukzyfcb:
....I'm gradually turning a new leaf sha
bitter leaf or pawpaw leaf?
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Chukzyfcb(m): 6:51pm On Apr 12, 2016
Senorprinz:
bitter leaf or pawpaw leaf?
Are you trying to mock me? Because last I checked, that's a correct english sentence :-)
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Nobody: 6:52pm On Apr 12, 2016
Even though you may be right in your own ways, avoiding it may not help because it has its own importance as well. Just imagine yourself receiving lectures, a Secretary or a journalist, how will you avoid short forms/abbreviations without missing some vital points? You can't avoid them. I am a teacher and I do teach my students short forms/abbreviations; their importance and implications.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by temitope28(m): 6:54pm On Apr 12, 2016
God will deliver our youths from all this mess You will see words like Epp instead of help Kk instead of okay Yels instead of yes 2mrw instead of tomorrow 9t instead of night Mowin instead of morning Snd instead of send
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Sunnycliff(m): 6:56pm On Apr 12, 2016
blackb2:

Continue...
I can't epp bt laf! Ar u
Re: Reasons Why You Should Stop Writing In Abbreviations by Androidvillaz: 6:57pm On Apr 12, 2016
when you tell them it is very bad they will not accept because they think are in develop world i pity them for real

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

400-Level UNN Student, Ejim Ijeoma, Declared Missing (Video/Photos) / Faruq Gbolahan Yusuf Loses US University Scholarship Due To Lack Of Money / Which Public University Is The Best In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.