Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,066 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:43 AM

BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely (25376 Views)

Breaking: Uniport Resumes Admission Screening Exercise For 2016/2017 Session / ANSU Shuts Down Indefinitely, After Graduate Was Tortured To Death / Unilag Protest Update: Academic Activities Suspended Indefinitely (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely by iann: 8:50pm On Apr 11, 2016
What do you expect when Nigerians voted for an illiterate aboki falani man to lead them.
Re: BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely by Cyojunior(m): 9:02pm On Apr 11, 2016
lukasmuyiwa:
Aromate! Aromate!! Aromaaaaate!!! Excess o!!! to all rugged katalina ...Ayinkwerere(fire) Aro into executional retire above Marin u are rugged Aro jack sparrow de hunter rugged all xyzee above Marin.. Eyes shall not see evil the evil u destroy 2day maitanana destroy u tomorrow , ayinkwerere!!!(isoko!) Those that deserve to be king crown dem and dose that deserve to kpai throw dem overboard... The blood in the buccaneer, eiye, axe , pirate should continue to flow like river meanwhile our blood shall not cut in the vein

Beware people. Cultist is here !!!

1 Like

Re: BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely by Nobody: 9:03pm On Apr 11, 2016
mercenary:
As much as I don't support violent protest I still want to condemn the carelessness of our security agents... No matter how violent a protest turns u shouldn't kill anybody

In sane climes the police use teargas and canisters to disperse protesters

NDU students had to pay a compulsory fine for properties destroyed during their last protest.

That is Nigerian security agents for you. They kill as at when they feel like and nobody asks them why. I always disassociate myself from any of these kind of shows cos i know, if you die during the process, OYO is your name.
Re: BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely by Bobbyken123: 9:06pm On Apr 11, 2016
fiftynaira:
"Students who were on their way to AIT with the corpse of the dead student shot by SARS officials has been attacked on their way to AIT by the same SARs officials who apprehended them all and is taking all of them to the police headquarters meanwhile abandoning the corpse of the dead student on the road along NTA-Choba road".......
so student dont have the right to protest anymore,this our country just cool down mumu
Re: BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely by Kunlexic(m): 9:24pm On Apr 11, 2016
After u ordered police to shot a guy,all u can do is to shut down the school.Why didn't u write it on the circular that a student was shot dead during the protest.
Foolish mgt
Re: BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely by Knetpro(m): 9:27pm On Apr 11, 2016
PAINGAIN:
I pity nigerian university students.

And I might add, the struggle for them will know no end.
Re: BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely by 124mumsy: 9:27pm On Apr 11, 2016
adroitvezy:

its dzogbese lisa not degbede liza.
my guy am not poet, but thank you anyway.
Re: BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely by Kunlexic(m): 9:31pm On Apr 11, 2016
What is NANS doing
Re: BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely by Nobody: 9:33pm On Apr 11, 2016
lukasmuyiwa:
Aromate! Aromate!! Aromaaaaate!!! Excess o!!! to all rugged katalina ...Ayinkwerere(fire) Aro into executional retire above Marin u are rugged Aro jack sparrow de hunter rugged all xyzee above Marin.. Eyes shall not see evil the evil u destroy 2day maitanana destroy u tomorrow , ayinkwerere!!!(isoko!) Those that deserve to be king crown dem and dose that deserve to kpai throw dem overboard... The blood in the buccaneer, eiye, axe , pirate should continue to flow like river meanwhile our blood shall not cut in the vein
Repent.. b4 dem use ur head do goal post ... just like those AbSU boys

1 Like

Re: BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely by AlanSugar(m): 9:35pm On Apr 11, 2016
Which one come be indefinite closure if it's to last just one month according to your post? For the violent clash, what lives or property were lost? Na wa for this end time reporting!
Re: BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely by guiddoti: 9:39pm On Apr 11, 2016
lukasmuyiwa:
sharap! God kill yur odin. na here yu dey make info. una oga wey one graduate if him no repent go perish rubbish
alpha wey don sink since 2007 rubbish
Re: BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely by stagger: 10:05pm On Apr 11, 2016
lukasmuyiwa:

You this Adventurer! Na here you fit make noise abi? Nonsense!
Re: BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely by Carter4luv(m): 10:17pm On Apr 11, 2016
thank God for rivers state university of science and technology.
Re: BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely by Lecturebidz(m): 10:21pm On Apr 11, 2016
Donnetimmy:
OAU, AAUA, UNILAG THEN UNIPORT
who's next?
BSU Makurdi
Re: BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely by lilliesboy(m): 10:26pm On Apr 11, 2016
Am glad I finally graduated from that University in spite of the great challenges I encountered due to the evil and poor management system. The problem of the UniPort is just too much; it is a very extortive school and has a very poor bureacratic/management system. Fresh year 1 students pay up to N120,000, something unlikely with other federal universities. I was paying at least N32,000 per semester, while those in the same faculty like us at the UniBen, UNN et al were paying N12,000 - N18,000. Up till now a lot of us can't get Transcript to apply for postgraduate programmes/scholarships despite we graduated at least two years ago. And they charged us N23,000 for Original Certificate and Transcript - a sum that is far higher than what many other (federal and private) universities in Nigeria charge their students. Very useless school! I graduated June 4, 2014 (due to the 2013 ASUU Strike) but mobilized on NYSC on May 2015 - we stayed "11 months" at home due to poor managemet from the University's staff. I can NEVER go back to that University for a postgraduate study and won't advice anyone either.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely by ExplicitContent: 10:28pm On Apr 11, 2016
Masterkolinks:

FUNAAB
Lol, 20g bet on this.
Let's see
Re: BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely by matozim: 11:08pm On Apr 11, 2016
Oturugbeke.. grin
Re: BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely by adroitvezy(m): 11:11pm On Apr 11, 2016
124mumsy:
my guy am not poet, but thank you anyway.
lol... You're welcome bro. But you read poems, if you do then i believe you can write poems you've just not tap into the potential.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely by Rank50: 11:44pm On Apr 11, 2016
#fightthepower #nojusticenopeace #lalemustgo #alutacontinua

Re: BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely by fareed69(m): 5:09am On Apr 12, 2016
Oma307:
Meaning

?
Re: BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely by tinktanker: 5:29am On Apr 12, 2016
SerialGist:
This is why i always do not advocate violent protest. The consequences always detrimental to the students both academically, financially and physically. Happened in Unical years ago and all the students were mandated to pay 10k each. Add 10k to the normal school fees and other expenses and see how it affects economically on the parents/guardians.
wat will u have dem do? This govt never listens to peaceful protest. I suggest d bad boys show dem sef now by kidnapping the VC and demand d fees go down to 15k, n d sch shld Bury d dead boy n pay compensation to d family. Den demand no student b arrested or else d next time he will b killed

1 Like

Re: BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely by otiigba1(m): 7:13am On Apr 12, 2016
lukasmuyiwa:
man! What the f....k! Are you gibbering about? Have you lost your marbles?
Re: BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely by otiigba1(m): 7:20am On Apr 12, 2016
tinktanker:
wat will u gave dem do? This govt never listens to peaceful protest. I suggest d bad boys show dem sef now by kidnapping the VC and demand d fees go down to 15k, n d sch shld Bury d dead boy n pay compensation to d family. Den demand no student b arrested or else d next time he will b killed
Really? Listen to yourself Advocating violence and murder. What if this VC happens to be of your family members would you still want him dead? One student is already dead and you are calling for Another murder. You nigerians are really barbaric. shocked
Re: BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely by izywzy: 7:24am On Apr 12, 2016
The only sad thing that happened during the protest is that we lost one of our most brightest student. Left to me i hope the protest continues till the VC and senate reduce the school fees, we are the only federal UNI that pays hefty fees, no other federal UNI collects up to 20k for school fees after first year but UNIPORT collects 45k+ after first year. In this hardship the country is in now, many student havent paid their fees and the senate is now proposing for NO SCH fees NO EXAM.... What happens to the final year students that couldnt afford the fee before exam period? Does that mean they ll get an extra year because of finance? And pls note that the UNI dont do like this before. ALUTA CONTINUA.
Re: BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely by drealzum(m): 7:31am On Apr 12, 2016
All this Aluta things ehh...............E no just fwesh when it turns violent. I dont think any Uni jos student will ever support any Aluta demonstration again. Na 3 months we do for house kon come back pay 6k for damages the VC still no gree him send all of us make we go court collect affidavit of good conduct.
Re: BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely by tinktanker: 7:56am On Apr 12, 2016
otiigba1:
Really? Listen to yourself Advocating violence and murder. What if this VC happens to be of your family members would you still want him dead? One student is already dead and you are calling for Another murder. You nigerians are really barbaric. shocked
my dad can't be Dat heartless to students. But if he does such, I will support dey kidnap him. Do u knw d number of death dat fees increase can cause?
Re: BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely by femrd: 8:04am On Apr 12, 2016
Nigerian universities sha... difficult to enter, more difficult to survive especially with strike and closure like this.
Re: BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely by otiigba1(m): 8:05am On Apr 12, 2016
tinktanker:
my dad can't be Dat heartless to students. But if he does such, I will support dey kidnap him. Do u knw d number of death dat fees increase can cause?
students are not forced to pay this fees i believe, all they have to do is to go to Another school or learn a trade not every one must be educated education is for those who can afford it.

And to think that kidnapping and murder will resolve the problem or bring the fees down sounds very naive. Because it would only escalate the problem.

N:B Schools need money for maintenance and to pay for electricity, very expensive fuel, rent, lecturers et al.hence the fee increament, I believe.
Re: BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely by tinktanker: 8:40am On Apr 12, 2016
otiigba1:
students are not forced to pay this fees i believe, all they have to do is to go to Another school or learn a trade not every one must be educated education is for those who can afford it.

And to think that kidnapping and murder will resolve the problem or bring the fees down sounds very naive. Because it would only escalate the problem.

N:B Schools need money for maintenance and to pay for electricity, very expensive fuel, rent, lecturers et al.hence the fee increament, I believe.
ur sick in d head. It's obvious
Re: BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely by Reyus: 8:45am On Apr 12, 2016
What about Non-academic staff and students...? Are they affected.
Re: BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely by Reyus: 9:01am On Apr 12, 2016
UNIPORT Students condemn VC, Police over the death of Peter Ofurum

A COMMINIQUE ISSUED BY THE STUDENTS’ UNION GOVERNMENT OF THE UNIVERSITY OF PORT HARCOURT 2015/2016 SESSION ON THE 11TH DAY OF APRIL 2016.
With absolute humility and earnest dedication to the call of leadership
We the Students’ Union Government of the University of Port Harcourt wishes to bring to the notice of the general public and condemn in no small measure the events that occurred in the University of Port Harcourt leading to the death of some conscious Nigerian students in the hands of the NIGERIA POLICE FORCE (NPF)
The following led to the event that transpired today
The school management headed by the Vice Chancellor Professor N.E.S Lale without recourse to the Student Union leaders and representatives of the students decided to enforce the policy that students who have not paid their school fees will not partake in the school’s first semester examination scheduled to commence today the 11th day of April, 2016, thereby loosing an academic session, hence an automatic extra year. This is contrary to the stipulation of the NATIONAL UNIVERSITIES COMMISSION, which stipulates that new policies especially those directly affecting the students should be enforced in concordance and in dialogue with the representatives of the students.
However, in an attempt to better manage the situation, the Student Union leaders did all that was humanly possible to dialogue with the management of the University and make them understand how detrimental this policy could be, taking into cognizance the unfavorable economic reality facing the generality of Nigeria, hence the need to shift ground and find other lenient and easily acceptable penalties like not releasing the results of students who failed to pay their school fees. This move was rendered fruitless due to the unyielding nature of the Vice Chancellor who insisted on going on with this unpopular policy, who stated that over 90% of the students have paid their school fees, hence exams can commence without the other 10%.
Having failed to convince the school management, the Student Union Government in their own capacity tried to convey the stand of the management to the students, trying so hard to convince them against any demonstration. Our attempt was indeed fruitless, hence the demonstration. The student said they were not ready to lose an academic session. There is always a limit to how much the student representative can attempt to convince the students against their intention to demonstrate especially when emotions are involved. This however led to the peaceful demonstration that commenced early this morning the 11th of April 2016
The demonstration remained peaceful until the men of the Nigerian Police Force (NPF) who were called in by the Vice Chancellor to maintain peace and order started shooting live bullets at the students which led to the death of one comrade Ofurum Peter, a 400 level student of Accounting department and a serving Executive President of the Faculty of Management Science student association (FAMASSA), amidst countless number of injured students
As if that was not enough, the men of the special anti-robbery squad (SARS) also shot a student while students were en route the media house in demonstration against the death of a fellow student earlier killed by the men of the Nigerian Police Force
Rather than call for the students’ representatives for dialogue, the University management had a senate sitting and released a memorandium ordering students to vacate the school’s hostels and premises before 6pm giving students less than 2 hours after the fatal and unwholesome killing of their colleague, leader and comrade, enforcing the directives through men of the Nigerian Army without considering students whose residences are not within the shores of Rivers State.

As a result of the foregoing, the Students’ Union Government of the University of Port Harcourt hereby resolves as follows:

1. We condemn the death of Comr. Ofurum Peter with tears in our eyes and pains in our hearts, we mourn the irreplaceable loss. Comr. Ofurum Peter, who until his death in the hands of men of the murderous Nigeria Police Force was a 400 level student of the department of accounting and a serving executive president of the faculty of management science students association, university of Port Harcourt. We shall never allow your ultimate sacrifice to go in vain as we are committed to ensure that the perpetrators are brought to book and the full weight of the law visited on them. Rest in peace comrade par excellence. We also sympathise with the parents, friends and family of our beloved departed comrade and pray that God gives them the fortitude to bear the loss
2. The action of the management of the University of Port Harcourt in not resolving effectively the events that led to the protest at the University of Port Harcourt is highly condemned. As parents that they are, we expected management not to throw away the baby and the bath water.
3. The actions of the Nigeria Police Force who were expected to protect the Nigerian Students, but rather turned against the same student and killed some of them are highly condemned. Hence we call on the Federal Government of Nigeria, the Inspector General of the Nigeria Police Force, and every well meaning Nigerian to ensure that the perpetrators of this dastardly act must be fished out and the full wrath of the law visited on them.
4. We plead with aggrieved students of the University of Port Harcourt to keep calm as the Students’ Union Government in conjunction with well meaning members of the public will do everything possible to resolve the brouhaha and defend the rights of the Nigerian Students. We will continually keep them posted of any development in this regards.

Signed

Comr. Ephraim Inno-Anameje Led Students’ Union Government Excos
University of Port Harcourt

Cc:
Federal Government of Nigeria
Upper Chambers of the National Assembly
Inspector General of Police
Ministry of Education
Rivers State Government
Re: BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely by Etinosajay(m): 9:53am On Apr 12, 2016
mperoakeem:
Well, when it comes to protest, uniport is still a learner where oau dey. RIP to the dead.

#NoDisrespect

Must you compare? You people will never get tired of being so self righteous.

Protest dey hungry una, oya go and protest for no reason, as na OAU Sabi protest pass, according to you.

Students are protesting an anomaly, you're here pushing your better than everybody syndrome.

What do you now suggest? Master protester?

Should the students wield guns and shoot their school administrators dead?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Riot In Nasarawa State Polytechnic, Lafia Over School Fees (Pictures) / Lawyers Advise Parents To Sue Covenant University For Suspension Of 200 Students / Veritas University, Abuja Shuts Down Academic Activities Over insecurity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.