Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,490 members, 7,819,784 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:16 PM

Has Evolution Ended? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Has Evolution Ended? (4243 Views)

Today is 22-12-2012 And The World Has Not Ended. Praise God. / Tithing Ended And Abolished In The N.T - An Exposition On Hebrews Chapter 7. / Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Has Evolution Ended? by Krayola2(m): 12:01am On Aug 03, 2009
davidylan:

What "article" are you talking about?  undecided Let me repeat again this time in simple elementary english . . .

- scientists believe birds are descended from dinosaurs
correct
davidylan:

- scientists think they found more evidence with T. rex collagen I being slightly about 50% similar to that of the chicken.

nope. the article says this. "She used antibodies to a type of collagen extracted from chickens. The fact that the antibodies stuck suggested that T. rex collagen is similar to that of birds. And when she compared the preserved soft tissue to that of modern animals, the closest match was an emu—a flightless bird."

The thing with the chicken was just a side note. They created a profile of some sort that was similar to chickens. . it wasn't the main point of the article. Like I said. . .u missed the point of the article because u were more interested in refuting it than inderstanding it.

davidylan:

- Since T. rex is a dinosaur too, scientists believe that this "more evidence" bolsters their claims earlier stated.
their claim that dinosaurs and BIRDS are related.

davidylan:

- thus scientists believe the bird could be descended from the T. rex.

Let me know if you have a problem with simple logic.

that isn't what the article says. It says it provides evidence that birds and dinosaurs are related. It just pointed out that the collagen samples (or the profiles they created. .whateva that means) are most similar to chickens and ostriches. . .it makes no claims about how and why this is so and what it means in terms of direct relationship between the two species. It was just stating what they had observed.
Re: Has Evolution Ended? by Krayola2(m): 12:05am On Aug 03, 2009
More proof that birds are descendants of dinosaurs
by Liza on Apr. 13th, 2007
in Life Science and History and Nature of Science

Two years ago, everyone was talking about the work of paleontologist Mary Schweitzer: she noticed that thin slices of a 68-million-year-old fossil femur from a Tyrannosaurus rex looked like they still contained soft tissue. (See photos of the bone.) Using antibodies to the collagen protein, she showed that the bone still contained intact collagen molecules—the main component of cartilage, ligaments, and tendons.

Hello, dinos?: A new study shows that preserved collagen from a 68-million-year-old Tyrannosaurus rex is similar to that of chickens. (Photo courtesy Danelle Sheree)

[size=14pt]She used antibodies to a type of collagen extracted from chickens. The fact that the antibodies stuck suggested that T. rex collagen is similar to that of birds. And when she compared the preserved soft tissue to that of modern animals, the closest match was an emu—a flightless bird.[/size]

To learn more about the collagen in the T. rex bones, Schweitzer worked with John Asara, a chemist at Harvard University, to analyze it using mass spectrometry.

The Economist describes the technique this way:

This technique identifies molecules (or fragments of molecules) from a combination of their weight and their electric charges. Knowing the weights of different sorts of atoms (and of groups of atoms that show up regularly in larger molecules, such as the 20 different amino acids from which proteins are assembled) it is usually possible to piece together fragments to form the profile of an entire protein.

When Asara compared the profile he'd created to proteins from living animals, the closest matches were to chickens and ostriches. (Schweitzer and Asara's study was published in the April 13, 2007, issue of the journal Science.)

Many paleontologists already believed, based on fossil bones, that birds are dinosaurs or their descendants. But this new paper provides even more evidence of the fact[\quote]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that is the article. where does it claim that the chickens descendants of T-rex?
Re: Has Evolution Ended? by Nobody: 12:09am On Aug 03, 2009
krayola2 has a problem connecting dots . . . i repeat again from the article.

Many paleontologists already believed, based on fossil bones, that birds are dinosaurs or their descendants. But this new paper provides even more evidence of the fact

What is the "evidence" that bolsters the belief that birds are dinosaur descendants? Similarity in collagen I between birds and T. rex (a dinosaur)!
Re: Has Evolution Ended? by Krayola2(m): 12:12am On Aug 03, 2009
whateva. . .u'll never admit u re mistaken. . .which is why i posted the entire article so people can read and decide for themselves. au revouir
Re: Has Evolution Ended? by Nobody: 12:14am On Aug 03, 2009
Krayola2:

whateva. . .u'll never admit u re mistaken. . .which is why i posted the entire article so people can read and decide for themselves. au revouir

posting the entire article even made you look more lost.
Re: Has Evolution Ended? by Krayola2(m): 12:18am On Aug 03, 2009
lmao. I don't have to be a scientist to know the article does not connect chickens to T-rex. It just says they have some kinda similar protein profile or some shit, and that supports a belief that birds re related to dinosaurs. No more no less. Fake scientist. How did u pass jamb?
Re: Has Evolution Ended? by Nobody: 12:25am On Aug 03, 2009
Krayola2:

lmao. I don't have to be a scientist to know the article does not connect chickens to T-rex. It just says they have some kinda similar protein profile or some shit, and that supports a belief that birds re related to dinosaurs. No more no less. Fake scientist. How did u pass jamb?

this is absurd! grin
Collagen I antibodies raised in chickens bind to T. rex collagen I protein . . . oh sorry you probably have no idea about immunology.

Oh besides the link was simply paraphrasing a science paper that made the connection you just stupidly denied out of ignorance. Grab the science paper and stop looking like a brainless troll. grin
Re: Has Evolution Ended? by Krayola2(m): 12:33am On Aug 03, 2009
davidylan:

this is absurd!  grin
Collagen I antibodies raised in chickens bind to T. rex collagen I protein . . . oh sorry you probably have no idea about immunology.

Oh besides the link was simply paraphrasing a science paper that made the connection you just stupidly denied out of ignorance. Grab the science paper and stop looking like a brainless troll.  grin

The article does not even compare the antibodies from chickens to the T-rex sample. Like I said u just make stuff up by the second. They created a protein profile, and that was similar to to chickens.

This technique identifies molecules (or fragments of molecules) from a combination of their weight and their electric charges. Knowing the weights of different sorts of atoms (and of groups of atoms that show up regularly in larger molecules, such as the 20 different amino acids from which proteins are assembled) it is usually possible to piece together fragments to form the profile of an entire protein.

When Asara compared the profile he'd created to proteins from living animals, the closest matches were to chickens and ostriches. (Schweitzer and Asara's study was published in the April 13, 2007, issue of the journal Science.)
where is the word "antibody" in that? mr. immunology. One does not need to know science to understand a simple article

again, u just like throwing insults around. U can't think properly. Ur father must have poked that prostitute mother of ur's with some syphilis type shit cause u didn't turn out too normal.
Re: Has Evolution Ended? by Nobody: 12:42am On Aug 03, 2009
it just gets worse!  grin cheesy

Krayola2:

The article does not even compare the antibodies from chickens to the T-rex sample.

Read here . . . infact when you posted the entire wording of the link, you actually placed that section in BOLD!  grin

[size=14pt]She used antibodies to a type of collagen extracted from chickens. The fact that the antibodies stuck suggested that T. rex collagen is similar to that of birds.[/size]

Krayola2:

Like I said u just make stuff up by the second.

I think you just didnt understand the link . . . its ok to be ignorant.  cheesy

Krayola2:

They created a protein profile, and that was similar to to chickens.

They wouldnt have gone that far if they didnt have any preliminary evidence in the first place. They did the antibody experiment FIRST before going to confirm their findings with mass spec analysis. That's what we do here routinely . . . mass spec is expensive . . . you dont just dash them samples without any serious empirical evidence.

Krayola2:

where is the word "antibody" in that? mr. immunology. One does not need to know science to understand a simple article

Shocking . . . because YOU even placed the word in bold in your earlier reference . . . See here again . . .

[size=16pt]She used antibodies to a type of collagen extracted from chickens. The fact that the antibodies stuck suggested that T. rex collagen is similar to that of birds. And when she compared the preserved soft tissue to that of modern animals, the closest match was an emu—a flightless bird.[/size]

nna you don add blindness to your problem?  shocked cheesy

Krayola2:

again, u just like throwing insults around. U can't think properly. Ur father must have poked that prostitute mother of ur's with some syphilis type shit cause u didn't turn out too normal.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy its ok to be ignorant, you can cover it up with insults.
Re: Has Evolution Ended? by Krayola2(m): 12:57am On Aug 03, 2009
HAHA,  i swear u're like a  4 yr old being taunted with candy.

Now its pretty clear that U are no scientist. Now u've opened ur yansh 4 the world to see. PHONEY!!!

They sampled chickens, but they concluded donosaurs were related to birds. So chickens were being used as a bird sample. That they tested chickens was irrelevant. If the experiment was trying to link chickens to t-rex, the conslusion will state it in plain clear words. . . I learned that in JSS1 lab. .  They did not make any specific claim about chickens. fake scientist. No be for conclusion u go find wetin experimenter see? olodo rabata!!
Re: Has Evolution Ended? by bawomolo(m): 1:02am On Aug 03, 2009
what you "found out" was someone's unproven opinion not that dinosaurs evolved into birds. Dinosaurs were gigantic organisms . . . for them to have become so small as to "evolve" into the sparrow means that someday birds will become so small as to virtually become extinct? Shocked

That is not evolution but DEVOLUTION! It makes no sense to insist that the horse "evolved" from a tiny ancestor while the birds took the opposite route.

dawodu dawodu dawodu, how many times i call ya name grin

na wa for you o, are you saying evolution is synonymous with an increase in size? how is a decrease in size considered devolution?
Re: Has Evolution Ended? by Nobody: 1:28am On Aug 03, 2009
bawomolo:

dawodu dawodu dawodu, how many times i call ya name  grin

na wa for you o, are you saying evolution is synonymous with an increase in size?  how is a decrease in size considered devolution? 

look up the evolutionary tree for the horse.

Krayola2:

HAHA,  i swear u're like a  4 yr old being taunted with candy.

Now its pretty clear that U are no scientist. Now u've opened ur yansh 4 the world to see. PHONEY!!!

They sampled chickens, but they concluded donosaurs were related to birds. So chickens were being used as a bird sample. That they tested chickens was irrelevant. If the experiment was trying to link chickens to t-rex, the conslusion will state it in plain clear words. . . I learned that in JSS1 lab. .  They did not make any specific claim about chickens. fake scientist. No be for conclusion u go find wetin experimenter see? olodo rabata!!

grin grin grin grin Is this what our schools now churn out?
Re: Has Evolution Ended? by Krayola2(m): 1:33am On Aug 03, 2009
haha. u are one deluded guy. na so u distort bible till e talk say Enoch dey heaven. Ordinary half page article na wahala. . . scientist!!! Na wa o
Re: Has Evolution Ended? by Nobody: 1:35am On Aug 03, 2009
Krayola2:

haha. u are one deluded guy. na so u distort bible till e talk say Enoch dey heaven. Ordinary half page article na wahala. . . scientist!!! Na wa o

i think the main diff here is that i have actually read the Mary Schweitzer paper while you're busy exposing your ignorance. grin If you have serious problems understanding a mere blog, dont even bother with the paper abeg.
Re: Has Evolution Ended? by Nobody: 1:38am On Aug 03, 2009
Let me not bother with the false laughter . . . notice you skipped every mention of the foolishness you displayed when you didnt even know what experiments the article was talking about.

Krayola2:

They sampled chickens, but they concluded donosaurs were related to birds.

and a chicken is no longer a bird? grin

Krayola2:

So chickens were being used as a bird sample. That they tested chickens was irrelevant.

but that was the crux of the entire paper!

Krayola2:

If the experiment was trying to link chickens to t-rex, the conslusion will state it in plain clear words. . .

a chicken is a bird! grin

Krayola2:

I learned that in JSS1 lab. .  They did not make any specific claim about chickens. fake scientist. No be for conclusion u go find wetin experimenter see? olodo rabata!!

you will also find it in the abstract, introduction, results section and discussion. olodo ni e. cheesy
Re: Has Evolution Ended? by Krayola2(m): 1:45am On Aug 03, 2009
haha. ode!! Like i hadnt said tht in my previous posts. monkey.

Not all birds are chickens. Why aren't u claiming anything about the emu? wasn't that the closest match with the collagen sample? clown. I made 3 different posts saying "bullshit" and when u eventually caught on u went on a rant and still missed the point. buffoon.

Again, that article says NOTHING about the T-rex being related specifically to chickens. It said dinosaurs are related to BIRDS!!! Regardless of how u spin this one, u can't get away with it. dodoyo!!
Re: Has Evolution Ended? by Nobody: 1:52am On Aug 03, 2009
Krayola2:

haha. ode!! Like i hadnt said tht in my previous posts. monkey.

Not all birds are chickens. Why aren't u claiming anything about the emu? wasn't that the closest match with the collagen sample? clown. I made 3 different posts saying bullshit and when u eventually caught on u went on a rant and still missed the point. buffoon.

Again, that article says NOTHING about the T-rex being related specifically to chickens. It said dinosaurs are related to BIRDS!!! Regardless of how u spin this one, u can't get away with it. dodoyo!!

Its clear i've been talking to an ignorant little kid. grin The article used chicken collagen I to bolster the claim that dinosaurs are related to birds . . . and YET Krayola2 claims the article said NOTHING about the T. rex being related to chickens? cheesy

I give up!
Re: Has Evolution Ended? by KAG: 1:59am On Aug 03, 2009
davidylan:
And I'm restricting myself to responding to what you wrote. I've read the feature again and no where in it is it implied that chickens descended from T-rexes. It mentions a bolstering development in the findings of their relatedness, though
This is because we have forced you all to go back and read the original paper where the initiall discovery was made. A link manmustwac pasted here made that claim (i didnt!) and manmustwac himself swallowed it hood-line and sinker. My posts here have been to show how preposterous such a claim is so as far as i'm concerned you're preaching to the choir here because i didnt make that claim.

Um, it made the claim that dinosaurs are essentially birds and the t-rex is related to birds. No where did it imply that chickens descended from t-rexes. You started to show why you didn't accept the view of the feature posted by manmustwac, but you later deviated into somehow implying that it was indicated that chickens descended from t-rexes. You even went as far as to state that saying otherwise made no sense. That idea was what I was addressing. You made the claim I addressed.

Besides the claim DOES NOT BOLSTER any claim of their relatedness . . . that was why i used so many other examples from other animals. We may as well be related to every organism on earth if we use a >50% amino acid similarity as the basis.

Um, we are most likely related to most - if not every - organism of which we know.

Then you should realise that stating birds are dinosaurs or their descendants - and therefore related to the T-rex - isn't the same as saying birds evolved from T-rexes.
Red herring again.

Okay, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you don't know what the term "red herring" means. You wrote that saying birds and t-rexes are phylogenetically related is the same thing as saying the former descended from the other. You even went as far as to state that "To say the T. rex and chicken are related BUT the chicken did not evolve from the T. rex doesnt make much sense."

I'm pretty sure it's not a red herring to address the misconception.

I shld not be realising anything . . . i didnt make the silly claim that birds are descendants of dinosaurs . . . you shld be directing all this thesis to manmustwac who made the initial claim.

Besides you have the entire argument upside down . . . the claim was NOT that birds are descendants of dinosaurs and thus related to the T. rex by virtue of it being a dinosaur - the argument was about establishing a DIRECT link between the T. rex (nothing to do with other dinosaurs!) and the chicken based on amino acid similarities in collagen I.

You and jamiru, instead, created the strawman that the dinosaur-bird evolution was essentially birds are descendants of t-rexes. By misreading and misrepresenting the argument of the link, your arguments devolved into what was basically "ha ha, how could chickens have descended from t-rexes."

I am not arguing that chickens didn't descend from dinosaurs. In fact, I'm still trying to figure out what makes a chicken any less of a dinosaur in generalities.

Finally, actually this is the thrust of the argument from the article itself:

"Many paleontologists already believed, based on fossil bones, that birds are dinosaurs or their descendants. But this new paper provides even more evidence of the fact."

More related than what?
Red Herring again . .

This is the argument - Chickens are 58% similar in collagen I amino acid content to the T. rex, well frogs are also 51% similar to the T. rex. When i raised that earlier, this is what you said in quotes - "Birds are more closely related."

I then asked . . . cows have a 97% Collagen I amino acid similarity to humans, does that make the cow more closely related to us than say the chimpanzee?

Yeah, I'm not going to tell you what to do, but it probably wouldn't kill you to find out the correct usage of the red herring fallacy as a label. 'Kay?

Anyway, yes, birds are more closely related to dinosaurs. Your question as response, however, was incomplete, hence my response - "More related than what?" As you've now completed it, the answer is no, cows are not more closely related to humans than chimpanzees. While the presence of a shared unique combination of amino acids, etc. may show evolutionary relatedness, other shared traits can show which species is more closely related to one than another.

Yes. The issue then becomes how closely or distantly related are we to other species.
this again is a red herring . . . it makes absolutely no sense. We have homologs of most genes with other organisms . . . are we "related" to them all? Including the yeast, fruitfly and C. elegans? Just WHEN will scientists come up with something other than "we are related to xyz"?

I'm just going to ignore the fact that you started this part yet again with your newly found term and get on with it. We are related to most - if not all - other species. Get over it.

Remind me again how bringing up other dinosaurs other than the T-rex, and how they relate to birds in a discussion on dinosaur-bird evolution is a red herring? Stop being silly and just say you can't state the differences between the two.
Because it IS a red herring brought up to muddy the waters when it becomes clear the T. rex - chicken claims dont hold water. As i mentioned earlier, which of course you all prefered to ignore, there is a paper out there already challenging the validity of the alleged T. rex collagen I protein.

Can you state the differences between the human and the cow? We have a 97% similarity with collagen I so i shld expect us to have a lot more in common than the bird and T. rex who only share a 58% similarity no?

These arguments just make you shake your head in wonder.

Loving the way you still don't know what a red herring means. I had to laugh at the suggestion that bringing up other dinosaurs other than the t-rex in a discussion on dinosaur-birds evolution is a ploy to "muddy the waters". You got to love it. Wait, what T-rex-chicken claims? Okay, seriously where did you get that from? By the way, I don't doubt that there is a paper - more than one if I remember correctly, especially in the first weeks and months following the announcement of the finds - challenging the protein thing. I found them spurious. If you want to bring them into the fray, you should post what you consider the outstanding arguments in the paper(s).

Anyway, yes I can state many differences between humans and cows.

- Humans have fingers and opposable thumbs. Cows have hooves
- Humans are naturally bipedal while cows are never so
- Different ears and earing mechanisms
- Humans are omnivorous, cows are herbivores
- Humans and cows have differing stomachs
-Different number of teats in the females of the species

Those are just some quick ones off the top of my head. Your turn. What are the differences between dinosaurs and birds.

Again red herring. See above.

Yeah, we got it, you learnt of a new fallacy. Learn to use it properly, though, or it looks stupid.
Re: Has Evolution Ended? by Krayola2(m): 2:11am On Aug 03, 2009
the guy no get brain. na big problem
Re: Has Evolution Ended? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:44am On Aug 03, 2009
KAG:

Anyway, yes I can state many differences between humans and cows.

- Humans have fingers and opposable thumbs. Cows have hooves
- Humans are naturally bipedal while cows are never so
- Different ears and earing mechanisms
- Humans are omnivorous, cows are herbivores
- Humans and cows have differing stomachs
-Different number of teats in the females of the species

Those are just some quick ones off the top of my head. Your turn. What are the differences between dinosaurs and birds.

Yeah, we got it, you learnt of a new fallacy. Learn to use it properly, though, or it looks stupid.

The fact is that dinosaurs are reptiles.  The major differences between birds and reptiles include the fact that living reptiles are mostly cold - blooded creatures, while birds and mammals are warm-blooded.  Birds have exceptionally high body temperatures resulting from a high metabolic rate.  Birds and mammals are endothermic while reptiles such as dinosaurs are ectothermic.

This is what Alan Feduccia, an expert on birds and their evolution concluded:

"there has never been, nor is there now, any evidence that dinosaurs were endothermic." 

He went on to say that despite the lack of evidence "many authors have tried to make specimens conform to the hot-blooded theropod dogma."

The evidence is consistent with what the Bible teaches about birds being unique and created after their kinds.  The Bible is clear that God didn't make birds from pre-existing dinosaurs.  In fact, dinosaurs (land animals made on Day 6) came after winged creatures made on Day 5, according to the Genesis.  Both biblically and scientifically, chicken eaters around the world can rest easy with the realisation that they are not eating mutant dinosaurs!  shocked
Re: Has Evolution Ended? by jamiru(m): 6:21am On Aug 03, 2009
lets assume MMW didnt post the link on descendant of dinosuars to be birds?(becos i googled birds evolved from dinasaurs and i saw disagreement by scientist) then what did the dinosaus evolved into? or they simply died out?
Re: Has Evolution Ended? by wirinet(m): 8:04am On Aug 03, 2009
David, again you are misleading us, I just used google to check what you said about T.Rex evolving into birds. The paper you sited never made such claims, what it said was that the  finding is the first molecular evidence that birds, not lizards or other reptiles, are the closest living relatives of dinosaurs

A new study of ancient proteins retrieved from a Tyranosaurus rex fossil confirms the long-hypothesized evolutionary connection between dinosaurs and modern birds, experts say.

The finding is the first molecular evidence that birds, not lizards or other reptiles, are the closest living relatives of dinosaurs, the researchers note.

A close relationship between the two groups was already widely suspected, based on similarities in skeletal features.

The new research follows a breakthrough study last year in which scientists reported the recovery and partial molecular sequencing of T. rex and mastodon proteins.

Both dinosaur studies examined samples of collagen, the main protein component of bone.

In addition to cementing the dino-bird connection, the new study provides the first molecular evidence that mastodons and elephants are also closely related.

"This shows that if we can sequence even tiny pieces of fossil protein, we can establish evolutionary relationships," said co-author John Asara of Harvard Medical School, who also led the previous T. rex study.

Chris Organ of Harvard University is the lead author of the new report, which appears in tomorrow's issue of the journal Science.

From T. Rex to Chicken

The T. rex proteins were extracted from soft tissues preserved inside 68-million-year-old fossil remains first described in 2005.

The mastodon remains were much younger, dating to between 160,000 and 600,000 years ago.

Using a variety of techniques, the researchers compared the T. rex and mastodon protein sequences with those of 21 living animals, including ostriches, chickens, and alligators.
Re: Has Evolution Ended? by wirinet(m): 11:05am On Aug 03, 2009
Sorry folks, i wrote my above response last night just before i was dealt with by my ISP, so i kept the post and posted it first thing this morning. i did not realize a lot of acid water had gone under the bridge.

Davidylan,

I must admit, that i did not see or read manmustwac's post, i thought you were educating us on something for a change.

Your arguments are very baseless and irrational, scientists say Dinosaurs are more closely related to birds than reptiles based on a study of collagen (protein)from soft tissue from a T.Rex ( which is the only tissue they have been able to find of a dinosaur), and matching it with the same protein in birds (chicken) and reptiles (frog), and it was found out that the protein of T.Rex matches that of chicken more than that of frogs or lizards. Thereby confirming that dinosaurs are more related to birds than lizard contrary to what was originally thought that lizards are descendants of dinosaurs. The word dinosaur itself means large lizard in Greek.

David, as a biologist, do you not understand simple classification of plants and animals? I feel embarrassed educating a PHD biologist on simple classification of living things.

Living things are divided into Kingdoms - Plants and Animals
Kingdoms are divided into Phyla
Phyla are divided into classes
Classes are divided into orders
orders are divided into families
families are divided into genera
And Genera is divided into species.

Today there are 5 classes of animals namely; mammals, birds, fish, reptiles, amphibians,and arthropods. Dinosaurs were said to have evolve from a common order of ancient Reptiles and formed a distinct class of animals, which is further divided into two classes - Saurischia and Ornithischia.

now if we are relating classes of animals, we will say birds are more related to mammals than reptiles, or that fish is more related to amphibians than mammals, or man is more related to cow than shark. Even within a class, we say man is more related to gorilla than say cat.
So relationships between animals is relative depending on how far apart they are on the evolutionary ladder.

Finally saying that T.Rex ( an example of a dinosaur) is more closely related to a Chicken (an example of a bird) does not in anyway signify that all dinosaurs evolved to become chickens.

David, i honestly do not understand your position. What exactly are your views? are you saying that the reports and studies concerning dinosaurs are cooked up or you are saying the inferences the draw from actual research is wrong?. You might even be saying that nothing like dinosaurs ever existed and that the bones and fossils are made up to deceive everyone. Or that living thing ever evolves and that every living thing had remained exactly as it was made and would remain so forever and ever. As a biologist how do you thing such a rigid animal would survive.

Finally, about evolutionary downsizing of animals, It is something i find fascinating. Because animals are getting smaller ( from bones, fossils and actual carcass of ancient animals found). You will find out that more ancient animals are considerably larger than their contemporary mates. An example is snakes, the oldest snakes which are anaconda and python are far bigger than their modern mates of vipers and cobras. I think it might have to do with efficiency, bigger snakes are crude and very inefficient - they kill by constriction, while modern snakes are sleek and very sophisticated - they kill by injection of poison. Evolution is about efficiency.

Even the mammoth which became extinct about 10,000 yrs ago is considerably larger than it modern equivalent - the elephant. Same for sharks and megalodon.
Re: Has Evolution Ended? by KAG: 11:22am On Aug 03, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

The fact is that dinosaurs are reptiles.  The major differences between birds and reptiles include the fact that living reptiles are mostly cold - blooded creatures, while birds and mammals are warm-blooded.  Birds have exceptionally high body temperatures resulting from a high metabolic rate.  Birds and mammals are endothermic while reptiles such as dinosaurs are ectothermic.

This is what Alan Feduccia, an expert on birds and their evolution concluded:

"there has never been, nor is there now, any evidence that dinosaurs were endothermic." 

He went on to say that despite the lack of evidence "many authors have tried to make specimens conform to the hot-blooded theropod dogma."

The evidence is consistent with what the Bible teaches about birds being unique and created after their kinds.  The Bible is clear that God didn't make birds from pre-existing dinosaurs.  In fact, dinosaurs (land animals made on Day 6) came after winged creatures made on Day 5, according to the Genesis.  Both biblically and scientifically, chicken eaters around the world can rest easy with the realisation that they are not eating mutant dinosaurs!  shocked

Well, first, birds are also reptiles, or to be more specific, belong in the same class as dinosaurs: reptilia. Now to the claim that dinosaurs were exothermic, the evidence actually suggests otherwise. While some dinosaurs were no doubt exothermic, several were endothermic. For example, the Sinosauropteryx prima had feathers and the suggestions of hairs used for insulation. Moreover, its physical characteristics also imply its endothermic nature. It's interesting to note, also, that some early "birds" may have been exothermic.

Finally, it isn't other scientists that try to make the evidence conform when it doesn't, it's Feduccia that does that. Since digging in his heels about what the lineage of bird evolution should be, Feduccia has consistently ignored all emerging findings and evidence.

So, um, wanna try again on the differences between dinosaurs and birds?

Lest I forget, does the Bible tell us the "kind" of dinosaur-bird transitionals?
Re: Has Evolution Ended? by Krayola2(m): 1:42pm On Aug 03, 2009
@wirinet. I tire for the guy o. I don't know nada about science but i knew the article made no such claim. I read it like 5 times looking for any such claim, and was surprised that a so called scientist would insist the article was saying that. The guy must think he's debating with his illiterate friends in the village, where he can be doing one eyed king for them.
Re: Has Evolution Ended? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:05pm On Aug 03, 2009
KAG:

Well, first, birds are also reptiles, or to be more specific, belong in the same class as dinosaurs: reptilia. 

You are entitled to your own dogma or opinion.  Remember that we are observing the same evidence but our different starting points make us interprete or explain it differently.  Anyone observing objectively would realise the fact that birds are warm blooded creatures and that reptiles, such as dinosaurs, are cold blooded animals.  That alone should tell you that they belong to different classifications.  Birds have exceptionally high body temperatures resulting from their high metabolic rate.  Their differences is not simply in the relative temperature of the blood core temperature but rather in their abililty to maintain a constant body temperature.  This is why birds and mammals have internal physiological mechanisms to maintain an essentially constant body temperature and this is why they are more properly called "endothermic."  In contrast, reptiles such as the dinosaurs have a varying body temperature influenced by their surrounding environment and are called "ectothermic."  An ectothermic animal can adjust its body temperature such as moving between shade and sun, it can even achieve higher body temperature than a so called warm blooded animal, but this can only be done by external factors.

KAG:

Now to the claim that dinosaurs were exothermic, the evidence actually suggests otherwise. While some dinosaurs were no doubt exothermic, several were endothermic. For example, the Sinosauropteryx prima had feathers and the suggestions of hairs used for insulation. Moreover, its physical characteristics also imply its endothermic nature. It's interesting to note, also, that some early "birds" may have been exothermic.

I know that evolutionists such as yourself are trying to make the evolution of dinosaurs into birds seem more plausible, hence your argument that dinosaurs are endothermic, but there is no clear evidence for this.  Your example of Sinosauropteryx is unfounded.  This Sinosauropteryx is very unbird-like and it lacks any evidence of structures that could be shown to be feather-like.  What you claim to be "protofeathers" in the Sinosauropteryx in the dinosaur fossils are simply filamentous and sometimes have interlaced structures bearing no obvious resemblance to feathers.  They actually appear likely to be connective tissue fibers found in the deep layer of the skin.  And for your information, true birds have been found among the fossils of the Sinosauropteryx in the same layers as their presumed dinosaur ancestors. 

KAG:

Finally, it isn't other scientists that try to make the evidence conform when it doesn't, it's Feduccia that does that. Since digging in his heels about what the lineage of bird evolution should be, Feduccia has consistently ignored all emerging findings and evidence.

This is what Feduccia, a bird expert and evolutionist who is sincere, says: "the major and most worrying problem of the feathered dinosaurs hypothesis is that the integumental structures have been homologized with avian feathers on the basis of anatomically and paleontologically unsound and misleading information."

KAG:

So, um, wanna try again on the differences between dinosaurs and birds?

Why don't you explain to me the mechanism to change scales into feathers, mechanism to change a reptilian lung into an avian lung?  The fact that there are no legitimate dinosaurs found with feathers are all good indications that dinosaurs didn't turn into birds.  The evidence is still consistent with what the Bible teaches about birds being unique and created after their kinds.

KAG:

Lest I forget, does the Bible tell us the "kind" of dinosaur-bird transitionals?

It is you and your bedfellows that have the onus to prove to us that dinosaurs evolved into birds.  What the Bible says is that birds where created on day 5 and dinosaurs on day 6.  Genesis 1:21 says that God created every winged bird after its "kind."  The following verse says they were to multiply or reproduce.  The logical connection is that birds of the same kind can reproduce.  The Hebrew word for "kind" in Genesis refers to any group of animals capable of interbreeding and reproducing according to their type.  For example, all dogs and dog-like animals, such as wolves and coyotes, are capable of interbreeding and thus would represent one "kind," even though some are classified today as different species.

This does not mean that all birds represent a single created kind and thus share a common ancestry.  The Bible tells us that there are many different bird kinds.  For example, the Levitical dietary laws (Lev.11:13-19), lists many different bird kinds as being unclean.  This gives further biblical support for multiple created bird kinds.
Re: Has Evolution Ended? by Krayola2(m): 4:00pm On Aug 03, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

The fact is that dinosaurs are reptiles.  The major differences between birds and reptiles include the fact that living reptiles are mostly cold - blooded creatures, while birds and mammals are warm-blooded. 
OLAADEGBU:

Anyone observing objectively would realise the fact that birds are warm blooded creatures and that reptiles, such as dinosaurs, are cold blooded animals. 

I really don't know much about this stuff so i just want to understand what u're getting at.  smiley

u seem to be saying that because most reptiles are cold blooded, all dinosaurs were. Not sure, but thats what it seems like. Not sure how that adds up

Are all reptiles cold blooded or just most of them?
Re: Has Evolution Ended? by Thor(m): 4:01pm On Aug 03, 2009
Evolution can never end lipsrsealed
Re: Has Evolution Ended? by noetic2: 4:28pm On Aug 03, 2009
Thor:

Evolution can never end lipsrsealed

a. why cant it end?

b. when did it start and how?
Re: Has Evolution Ended? by seyenko(m): 4:47pm On Aug 03, 2009
Evolution has not beginning or end has long has there is a dynamic interaction between the biosphere and the atmosphere. Don't get it wrong i am not an atheist but a Christian. The bible and science are simply looking at same issue from different perspective, the distinguishing factor lies in the relativity of time. while the bible says the world was made in 7 days and science believes over a very long time, we must remember that God does not measure time by the standards of man. While man believes a day occurs after the earth has spun round the sun in 24 hours, we cannot say that God measures his time on that same scale. A day to God might be the spin of our solar system around the the milky way or the milky way around an entity larger that a galaxy. What do you think?
Re: Has Evolution Ended? by toneyb: 4:58pm On Aug 03, 2009
seyenko:

Evolution has not beginning or end has long has there is a dynamic interaction between the biosphere and the atmosphere. Don't get it wrong i am not an atheist but a Christian. The bible and science are simply looking at same issue from different perspective, the distinguishing factor lies in the relativity of time. while the bible says the world was made in 7 days and science believes over a very long time, we must remember that God does not measure time by the standards of man. While man believes a day occurs after the earth has spun round the sun in 24 hours, we cannot say that God measures his time on that same scale. A day to God might be the spin of our solar system around the the milky way or the milky way around an entity larger that a galaxy. What do you think?

Did any god tell you that he does not measure time by the standards of man or did you read what other people said and ascribed it to their god? Are you now claiming to know the mind of your god? Where and when did he tell you that ?
Re: Has Evolution Ended? by noetic2: 5:18pm On Aug 03, 2009
seyenko:

u did not answer my questions. . . .

why cant evolution end?
and when and how did evolution start?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Supernatural Experience: My Visit To Heaven And Hell (wednesday, April 01, 2015) / God Wants You To Be Happy / A Story For Atheists.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.