Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,478 members, 7,812,473 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:54 PM

Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. (35838 Views)

Photos From Alex Ekwueme Burial. His Grave Pictured / Nana Shagari And Saleh Lukat To Wed (Pre-Wedding Photos) / Obasanjo Visits Tambuwal, Shagari And Sultan Of Sokoto (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. by jonili(m): 6:10pm On Apr 13, 2016
Mopolchi:
No wonder
man!! Bubu don suffer grin grin
Re: Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. by scobaba: 6:12pm On Apr 13, 2016
[quote author=Firefire post=44672297] shocked[/quo

oga thats per annum....not monthly.
Re: Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. by bluntspade: 6:14pm On Apr 13, 2016
i earn more than the president annually
Re: Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. by eminikansoso(m): 6:14pm On Apr 13, 2016
ajani1978:
That time 1979 and 80's my father bought a new vehicle 504 SR at rate of 4,850 from Kaduna how much is new vehicle now when Tokunbo first grade is 3,000,000 plus.
while my papa bought his volkswagen santana from volkswagen stallion Lagos at rate of #4790 with insurance paper in 1980.
Re: Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. by liztemi(f): 6:17pm On Apr 13, 2016
Time and thing have changed ooo........30k of then must be a very big amount fa.

Cos I rememba ma dad saying the highest amount he used for his children naming ceremony was #400...just imagine!!!
Re: Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. by Yksoul(m): 6:18pm On Apr 13, 2016
TODAY WE HAVE CORRUPTION AND THAT CAUSES THE PROBLEM OF NIGERIA.PLEASE,PMB SHOULD COME UP WITH DEATH PENALTY BILL ACT FOR CORRUPT POLITICIANS NOW!!
Re: Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. by ajepako(f): 6:19pm On Apr 13, 2016
nnadychuks:
What was the exchange rate 36 years ago?

I am not claiming to be old but in 1980 I was 7 years old and it was the first time.my mom travelled to two European cities: London and Milan in ltaly and both trips cost N574 because l saw the ticket.. exchange rate then was N2 to a dollar...imagine?
Re: Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. by encryptjay(m): 6:20pm On Apr 13, 2016
Still on the high side
It's not today politicians started enjoying
Re: Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. by eminikansoso(m): 6:20pm On Apr 13, 2016
Firefire:
And the Sin-nators and lawbreakers in Nigeria are now earning $200,000 monthly => NGN 66 Million Naira per month.

The salary is not the issue but the wicked allowances they allotted to themselves.
my brother this hardship allowee na hin de pain me wella
which hardship?
Re: Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. by Nobody: 6:23pm On Apr 13, 2016
raumdeuter:
Convert that amount to Dollar then

Dollar was N1 = $1.

That means 30k dollar per yr converted to Naira is like 10M right now

Plus inflation cost for 30yrs plus

My brother, the op think na only to go school.
Re: Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. by samplegirl(f): 6:26pm On Apr 13, 2016
VictorRomanov:

U know, the reason why Gen Buhari took over power then was because of corruption in government. Were they really good old days?

The reason for taking over could be different from what was said to be the reason.

A man went into a store to see how to break in in the night. That same man will never tell you he came to see things and map out strategies but to buy some goods.

Buhari took power to bring in corruption. He was the one who ordered custom officers not to inspect hundreds of suspicious load brought in by Emir of Gwandu back then. Which corruption pass that one. Shagari never did a thing like that.
Re: Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. by xtervaganza(m): 6:27pm On Apr 13, 2016
People who think that was small money don't know anything .

30k naira then was like 15 million naira now (or more)

And someone's said politicians back then served for the passion they had for the country? I say bullcrap. Shagari's govt was the most corrupt in the history of Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. by Nazacent: 6:28pm On Apr 13, 2016
Annual, do you mean monthly take home will be 1k plus?
Re: Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. by eyesofgod: 6:30pm On Apr 13, 2016
dominique:
You can buy a house with that money in the 70s.

A twin 3 bedroom bungalow built by my uncle in 1980 cost N19, 000.
Then, flight ticket from Benin to Lagos was N22, student rebate N19.
A high quality trouser material was N4 - N5.
A tin of milk was 15k, sardine 15k, geisha 15k
E.t.c.

1 Like

Re: Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. by naptu2: 6:30pm On Apr 13, 2016
eminikansoso:

while my papa bought his volkswagen santana from volkswagen stallion Lagos at rate of #4790 with insurance paper in 1980.

There was NO Volkswagen Santana in 1980! Santana was introduced in 1984!
Re: Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. by samplegirl(f): 6:32pm On Apr 13, 2016
xtervaganza:
People who think that was small money don't know anything .

30k naira then was like 15 million naira now (or more)

And someone's said politicians back then served for the passion they had for the country? I say bullcrap. Shagari's govt was the most corrupt in the history of Nigeria

I wonder where you get your facts from.

30,000 divided by 12 months is what? Then multiply it by the current exchange rate.
Re: Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. by eyesofgod: 6:32pm On Apr 13, 2016
sammyj:
Our leaders have milking us die since 1890 DC. Imagine how much 1 dollar will be to 1 Naira!!! grin shocked shocked shocked shocked grin grin angry grin grin grin

$1 was = 73k
Re: Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. by eyesofgod: 6:38pm On Apr 13, 2016
ricsman:
big corruption then.... nothing has changed

Yes, to some extent. Umaru Dikko was accused, officially, to have embezzled $1b.
Re: Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. by effty(m): 6:38pm On Apr 13, 2016
Who is saying that there was no corruption then? Make una take time ooo.
Re: Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. by naptu2: 6:41pm On Apr 13, 2016
IVORY2009:
Back den when politics was politics, people serve for the passion they have for their people on like now, that every one is after their pocket.

Are you referring to the Second Republic when politicians imported white prostitutes from Europe? When ministers used to make crazy money from import permits? Have you heard of Rajendra Sethia, the Indian who used to bribe Umaru Dikko to get import permits for rice sugar and other commodities? Do you know that he used to borrow money from Johnson Mathey, a British bank, in order to finance his corrupt deals with Umaru Dikko. Do you know that Johnson Mathey collapsed after the 1984 coup?

Do you know how many corrupt politicians had stretch Mercedes Benz cars in the 1980s? Have you heard about the lavish parties that senators and House of Rep members used to have at 1004 (featuring girls from Federal School of Arts and Science)?

Do you know that the 1983 election is one of the worst elections in Nigeria's history?

6 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. by Nusaf: 6:49pm On Apr 13, 2016
sexaddict08:

bro, its 'unlike' not 'on like' ....internet don spoil all of una
It's pls not its
Re: Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. by Nusaf: 6:50pm On Apr 13, 2016
sexaddict08:

bro, its 'unlike' not 'on like' ....internet don spoil all of una
It's not its.
Re: Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. by Toks2008(m): 6:53pm On Apr 13, 2016
abdul4new:
good old days before corruption crept in. e go better.

God please let us not call today "The good old days" in years to come.
Re: Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. by raumdeuter: 6:53pm On Apr 13, 2016
naptu2:

Are you referring to the Second Republic when politicians imported white prostitutes from Europe? When ministers used to make crazy money from import permits? Have you heard of Rajendra Sethia, the Indian who used to bribe Umaru Dikko to get import permits for rice sugar and other commodities? Do you know that he used to borrow money from Johnson Mathey, a British bank, in order to finance his corrupt deals with Umaru Dikko. Do you know that Johnson Mathey collapsed after the 1984 coup?

Do you know how many corrupt politicians had stretch Mercedes Benz cars in the 1980s? Have you heard about the lavish parties that senators and House of Rep members used to have at 1004 (featuring girls from Federal School of Arts and Science)?

Do you know that the 1983 election is one of the worst elections in Nigeria's history?

No be today Nigeria spoil
Re: Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. by VictorRomanov: 7:07pm On Apr 13, 2016
samplegirl:

The reason for taking over could be different from what was said to be the reason.

A man went into a store to see how to break in in the night. That same man will never tell you he came to see things and map out strategies but to buy some goods.

Buhari took power to bring in corruption. He was the one who ordered custom officers not to inspect hundreds of suspicious load brought in by Emir of Gwandu back then. Which corruption pass that one. Shagari never did a thing like that.

You see! And now he is our anti corruption poster boy!
Re: Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. by Gamesmart: 7:11pm On Apr 13, 2016
raumdeuter:
Convert that amount to Dollar then

Dollar was N1 = $1.

That means 30k dollar per yr converted to Naira is like 10M right now

Plus inflation cost for 30yrs plus

You are on point.

$30K in 1979 would be worth about $100K today. That is N20m today.
Re: Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. by cao(f): 7:15pm On Apr 13, 2016
So, I'm guessing the OP knows nothing about inflation...
Re: Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. by Stanbeto: 7:16pm On Apr 13, 2016
Nigeria have come a long way shaa
Re: Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. by Sctests: 7:18pm On Apr 13, 2016
Look at what their politicians earn, yet a simple revolution they can't even execute. That zoo is rotten. God should send natural disasters like earthquakes, volcanos, flood to destroy that zoo. The Devil himself lives there. Wicked rulers encouraged by their Cowardly baboons and monkeys as their presidiot calls them. The cesspit should be nuked, so that it can start afresh!
Re: Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. by dominique(f): 7:19pm On Apr 13, 2016
eyesofgod:

A twin 3 bedroom bungalow built by my uncle in 1980 cost N19, 000.
Then, flight ticket from Benin to Lagos was N22, student rebate N19.
A high quality trouser material was N4 - N5.
A tin of milk was 15k, sardine 15k, geisha 15k
E.t.c.

Those were the times mehn. My parents also used to tell me how cheap things were back then.
Re: Shagari And Alex Ekwueme's Salaries 36years Ago.. by UjSizzle(f): 7:25pm On Apr 13, 2016
Value of money, anyone? :

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Umo Eno Announced Winner Of Akwa Ibom Governorship Election 2023 / Bulus Yikura: Boko Haram Frees Kidnapped Pastor Who Begged FG, CAN For Help / Cabal Wants Osinbajo To Resign - Princess Hadiza Ibrahim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.