Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,515 members, 7,819,858 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:46 AM

Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? (4525 Views)

How Atheism Fails To Explain A Beginning To The Universe / There Are Atheists Who Acknowledge the Existence of the Creator of the Universe / Praise The Universe.... I Finally Became An Atheist! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? by Nobody: 3:22pm On Apr 14, 2016
This is a question that has always bothered me ever since the advent of my atheism... Is the universe really all about the physical alone? Is it possible that everything can be explained through empirical and physical means? Is MIND a product of MATTER or is it the other way round? Which sounds more probable? How reasonable and credible is the materialistic position? What do you think of Robert Lanza's concept of Biocentric Universe which holds that [size=16]Consciousness "creates" the universe and not the other way round?[/size] How credible do you think this is? Does it contain any element of truth? WHAT DO YOU THINK?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? by holocron: 7:59pm On Apr 14, 2016
The problem you experience comes about due to the way you think about matter. Thinking that matter must be clunky and dross, and very different from spiritual stuff which must be refined and ephemeral, leads us to the dualistic conception of the universe.

The fact is that the nature of the universe is one. Call it material, or spiritual (if you like). The universe manifests itself in a continuum ranging from presently undetectable dark energy, to visible energy, and the grosser material forms.

There is no duality. Normally, matter manifests in an unorganised way. Life, and its product mind, is just one of the special manifestations of matter when it is highly organised. Asking whether consciousness begat the universe or vice versa is just like the old chicken and egg problem. Its afallacy in analysis that misunderstands the nature of the universe and the observed rules of its development. Please refer to the laws of dialectics, and Newtons laws of motion. Particularly, that any developing system contains diametrically opposed forces active within it, responsible its development, or movement (if you will)

And what is the real ultimate nature of matter or the universe? We can never be able to answer this question, and there's little point in guessing. It should be sufficient to understand our area of the universe for the improvement of our physical existence.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? by johnydon22(m): 9:15pm On Apr 14, 2016
holocron:
The problem you experience comes about due to the way you think about matter. Thinking that matter must be clunky and dross, and very different from spiritual stuff which must be refined and ephemeral, leads us to the dualistic conception of the universe.

The fact is that the nature of the universe is one. Call it material, or spiritual (if you like). The universe manifests itself in a continuum ranging from presently undetectable dark energy, to visible energy, and the grosser material forms.

There is no duality. Normally, matter manifests in an unorganised way. Life, and its product mind, is just one of the special manifestations of matter when it is highly organised. Asking whether consciousness begat the universe or vice versa is just like the old chicken and egg problem. Its afallacy in analysis that misunderstands the nature of the universe and the observed rules of its development. Please refer to the laws of dialectics, and Newtons laws of motion. Particularly, that any developing system contains diametrically opposed forces active within it, responsible its development, or movement (if you will)

And what is the real ultimate nature of matter or the universe? We can never be able to answer this question, and there's little point in guessing. It should be sufficient to understand our area of the universe for the improvement of our physical existence.

Finely done!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Apr 14, 2016
But sirs, I'm still yet to comprehend how it is possible for biological processes and chemical reactions to have given rise to mind and consciousness... Seriously, uncles, the concept is just beyond me... it seems like a cop-out, and really does test my objectivity. I can't dismiss it though, other than it sounds far-fetched... I'll appreciate if you can really break it down for me, 'cause I still don't get it sirs...
Re: Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? by johnydon22(m): 10:00pm On Apr 14, 2016
Ayomikun37:
But sirs, I'm still yet to comprehend how it is possible for biological processes and chemical reactions to have given rise to mind and consciousness... Seriously, uncles, the concept is just beyond me... it seems like a cop-out, and really does test my objectivity. I can't dismiss it though, other than it sounds far-fetched... I'll appreciate if you can really break it down for me, 'cause I still don't get it sirs...

What is consciousness to start with

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? by Nobody: 6:05am On Apr 15, 2016
johnydon22:

What is consciousness to start with
I think it is the state of being aware of things external to one's self, having a mind and being aware of other self,-conscious beings. I think this is what is called :having a theory of mind... So I've been wondering how matter could have given rise to a mind that philosophizes, that recognizes a good music and can shed tears when thrilled by one, and so on... I'll appreciate some explanations sir.
Re: Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:22am On Apr 15, 2016
The universe is purely physical off course . But it 'emerged' from the immaterial realm . God created the universe from Nothing . Nothing = non existence of the physical realm . Consciousness comes from God . Consciousness basically is self awareness , God has always been self aware . So yes , the universe is a product of consciousness , the mind , energy - these are all part of the eternal conscious creator , God .

cc : Ayomikun37

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:36am On Apr 15, 2016
Ayomikun37:
This is a question that has always bothered me ever since the advent of my atheism... Is the universe really all about the physical alone? Is it possible that everything can be explained through empirical and physical means? Is MIND a product of MATTER or is it the other way round? Which sounds more probable? How reasonable and credible is the materialistic position? What do you think of Robert Lanza's concept of Biocentric Universe which holds that [size=16]Consciousness "creates" the universe and not the other way round?[/size] How credible do you think this is? Does it contain any element of truth? WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Thoughts create matter . Thoughts come from the mind . The mind created matter . God has the mind . God created matter
Re: Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? by johnydon22(m): 7:18am On Apr 15, 2016
Ayomikun37:
I think it is the state of being aware of things external to one's self, having a mind and being aware of other self,-conscious beings. I think this is what is called :having a theory of mind... So I've been wondering how matter could have given rise to a mind that philosophizes, that recognizes a good music and can shed tears when thrilled by one, and so on... I'll appreciate some explanations sir.

slowly, so consciousness is a state of being aware.... Is a plant then conscious?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? by Nobody: 10:05am On Apr 15, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Thoughts create matter . Thoughts come from the mind . The mind created matter . God has the mind . God created matter
Do plants have thoughts?
Re: Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:44am On Apr 15, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

Do plants have thoughts?

I can't say for sure . But they are conscious, have feelings and are intelligent - response to changes and communication . If they respond in a particular way to an action then they are rather programmed . Thoughts lead to decision , planning etc .

More evidence of design wink
Re: Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? by Nobody: 11:18am On Apr 15, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

I can't say for sure . But they are conscious, have feelings and are intelligent - response to changes and communication . If they respond in a particular way to an action then they are rather programmed . Thoughts lead to decision , planning etc .

More evidence of design wink
You have a knack for answering unasked questions.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:29am On Apr 15, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

You have a knack for answering unasked questions.

Wah did I do
Re: Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? by gatiano(m): 12:58pm On Apr 15, 2016
Some european scientists sometimes bury their ego and accept the truth for what it is. Robert Lanza is right in this instance that " Consciousness created and will always create and had always created the universe. Universe has a beginning and has an ending. Creation on the other hand neither has a beginning nor an ending.

Consciousness in itself exist within a super-consciousness(Unconsciousness). Consciousness is when I am aware of what surrounds me with the help of My seven (7) senses, yet I seem not to be able to see more than 90% of all that is around but My Unconsciousness sees it all.
Consciousness is when I vibrate at the same frequency at which all that I can sense vibrate (synchronization).

Can I see the sun and feel its warmth? Yes (It exist)
Can I see the stars at night as a result of the sun setting? Yes (They exist).
Can I see your question, on nairaland? Yes (The computer, your thoughts, YOU, all those who Replied, viewed etc are all real).

I am going to attach two pictures below describing faintly the beginning from Ifa sciences and few other tales(allorgorical but mathematical when understood) from an Elder who authored IFISM (Osamaro Ibie)

Ayomikun37:

1 Share

Re: Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? by Nobody: 5:29pm On Apr 15, 2016
johnydon22:

slowly, so consciousness is a state of being aware.... Is a plant then conscious?
I will say NO, sir...
Re: Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 5:32pm On Apr 15, 2016
Ayomikun37:
I will say NO, sir...

Plants are conscious my friend .
Re: Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Apr 15, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:
The universe is purely physical off course . But it 'emerged' from the immaterial realm . God created the universe from Nothing . Nothing = non existence of the physical realm . Consciousness comes from God . Consciousness basically is self awareness , God has always been self aware . So yes , the universe is a product of consciousness , the mind , energy - these are all part of the eternal conscious creator , God .

cc : Ayomikun37
Sir, you should know that I, being an atheist won't buy into your explanation...
Re: Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? by Nobody: 5:34pm On Apr 15, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Be my teacher, sir...
Re: Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? by johnydon22(m): 5:37pm On Apr 15, 2016
Ayomikun37:
I will say NO, sir...

But they are Aware of both Light and water in their surroundings, Plants are Photoreceptive ..

If you want to confirm we could do a little experiment, Cover a small pot plant with a carton and make sure no light enters the box from any place, make sure it is pitch black.

then make a small hole just at any side of the carton you want, drop it and leave it for some days or week, check again you will see the plant will lean towards the source of light..

why do you think trees grow upwards .. lol..

So plants are Photoreceptive... should we continue?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? by johnydon22(m): 5:38pm On Apr 15, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

No be fight ..lol
Re: Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 5:42pm On Apr 15, 2016
Ayomikun37:
Sir, you should know that I am close minded and I won't buy into your explanation...

Fixed your comment for you .

The universe is a product of consciousness . Consciousness requires an entity . God is conscious . God is that entity . How is this abstruse ?
Re: Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 5:46pm On Apr 15, 2016
johnydon22:

No be fight ..lol

You read that comment in a different way grin . Read it a mild way . wink
Re: Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 5:57pm On Apr 15, 2016
johnydon22:

But they are Aware of both Light and water in their surroundings, Plants are Photoreceptive ..

If you want to confirm we could do a little experiment, Cover a small pot plant with a carton and make sure no light enters the box from any place, make sure it is pitch black.

then make a small hole just at any side of the carton you want, drop it and leave it for some days or week, check again you will see the plant will lean towards the source of light..

Do you think plants have thoughts ? If you consider Rene Descartes' statement “I think, therefore I am” which supposedly perfectly encapsulates the mystery of consciousness then we can without doubt conclude that plants should have thoughts .
Re: Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? by Nobody: 6:17pm On Apr 15, 2016
johnydon22:

Yes sir. Please continue...
Re: Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? by johnydon22(m): 6:48pm On Apr 15, 2016
Ayomikun37:
Yes sir. Please continue...

Ok so now, what do you think is responsible for this photoreceptiveness cum awareness in a plant

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? by johnydon22(m): 6:51pm On Apr 15, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Do you think plants have thoughts ? If you consider Rene Descartes' statement “I think, therefore I am” which supposedly perfectly encapsulates the mystery of consciousness then we can without doubt conclude that plants should have thoughts .

Does this imply anything that is, thinks?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:27pm On Apr 15, 2016
johnydon22:

Does this imply anything that is, thinks?

I don't think there were actual thoughts in place before it responds to any change to environment . Its like it is programmed to behave in a particular way as a response to a particular change in its environment . Its tough to say .
Re: Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Apr 15, 2016
johnydon22:

Ok so now, what do you think is responsible for this photoreceptiveness cum awareness in a plant
Perhaps the presence of a "mind" or "will", but at a rather primitive level...
Re: Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? by johnydon22(m): 8:42pm On Apr 15, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

I don't think there were actual thoughts in place before it responds to any change to environment . Its like it is programmed to behave in a particular way as a response to a particular change in its environment . Its tough to say .

No my question was in response to the quote "I think, therefore i am" which you said supposedly perfectly cover the mystery of consciousness.

so i asked "Does this imply that everything that is, think? "

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? by johnydon22(m): 8:44pm On Apr 15, 2016
Ayomikun37:
Perhaps the presence of a "mind" or "will", but at a rather primitive level...
No i mean in a biological sense, what part of a plant is responsible for it's photosensitivity?

E.g in a human you would say eyes which of course can be broken down to billions of neurological connections through the retina to the brain for interpretation..

So what part of a plant is responsible for it's photoreceptiveness?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? by Nobody: 9:12pm On Apr 15, 2016
johnydon22:

No i mean in a biological sense, what part of a plant is responsible for it's photosensitivity?

E.g in a human you would say eyes which of course can be broken down to billions of neurological connections through the retina to the brain for interpretation..

So what part of a plant is responsible for it's photoreceptiveness?
Photoreceptor proteins called phototropins, I think...
Re: Is The Universe Purely "Material" & "Physical"? by johnydon22(m): 9:14pm On Apr 15, 2016
Ayomikun37:
Photoreceptor proteins called phototropins, I think...

Good and are Phototropins Matter?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Iceland Declares Christianity A Public Health Hazard / Jesus Changed My Genotype From AS To AA / Cute 'alex' Son Of Paul Adefarasin Receives Impartation From TD Jakes(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.