Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,318 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:45 AM

Arguments Against Intelligent Design - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Arguments Against Intelligent Design (4486 Views)

Intelligent Design - A Rational Conclusion / Can NL Atheists Dare To Refute This Logical Evidence For Intelligent Design? / Intelligent Design Or No Intelligent Design? Can We Analyze This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arguments Against Intelligent Design by CatfishBilly: 9:25am On Apr 11, 2017
It's becoming quite apparent that when Christians get cornered in their argument for a 7 day creation story, they switch to an Intelligent Design argument (Nature is so intelligently designed and fits so seamlessly, so, it has to be God).

But the argument is flawed and largely based on 2 things,
1) Argumentum ad ignorantiam: Argument from ignorance. We don't know, so, God.
2) God of the gaps: There is a gap in the demonstrable knowledge of science, therefore, God.

Proponents of Intelligent Design present their argument for a deistic God but further probing and investigation of the leaders of the Intelligent Design movement show that they are arguing for a Christian God which makes it no different from creationists.

The science community all over the world has largely debunked the idea of Intelligent Design based largely on the fact that they don't have a demonstrable hypothesis despite the fact that the leaders of Intelligent Design movement are scientists.
Infact, it has been classed as a Pseudoscience right in the group of allopathic and homeopathic medicine.

Proponents of Intelligent Design largely fail to explain obvious design flaws in their intelligent design.

So, by and large, Intelligent Design is a movement created by creationists when faced with the absurdities of a 7 day creation story.

You can read more on
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_design
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_poor_design

Intelligent debates and comments are welcome

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arguments Against Intelligent Design by hopefulLandlord: 9:30am On Apr 11, 2017
ID is simply "creationism" with another name

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Arguments Against Intelligent Design by Niflheim(m): 10:10am On Apr 11, 2017
Did you guys notice in the debate between Ken Ham(master of oloshis) and Bill Nye, Ken Ham was wearing glasses? A man who "believes" in Intelligent Design, wearing glasses to help improve his so-called Intelligently Designed eyesight?

Imagine the bible, talking about a man who was born blind, ONLY FOR THE "EVERLASTING BIBLICAL BUFFOONS" TO TELL US ABOUT INTELLIGENT DESIGN? HOW IS BLINDNESS INTELLIGENT?!!!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arguments Against Intelligent Design by hopefulLandlord: 10:44am On Apr 11, 2017
Niflheim:
Did you guys notice in the debate between Ken Ham(master of oloshis) and Bill Nye, Ken Ham was wearing glasses? A man who "believes" in Intelligent Design, wearing glasses to help improve his so-called Intelligently Designed eyesight?

Imagine the bible, talking about a man who was born blind, ONLY FOR THE "EVERLASTING BIBLICAL BUFFOONS" TO TELL US ABOUT INTELLIGENT DESIGN? HOW IS BLINDNESS INTELLIGENT?!!!

1 Like

Re: Arguments Against Intelligent Design by Nobody: 10:48am On Apr 11, 2017
Niflheim:

Don't you know God works in MYSTERIOUS WAYS

He has a reason for everything cheesy

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Arguments Against Intelligent Design by Nobody: 10:52am On Apr 11, 2017
Make I call lalasticlala to hear read his opinion
Re: Arguments Against Intelligent Design by CatfishBilly: 2:20pm On Apr 11, 2017
Niflheim:

Now, that's all shades of funny grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Arguments Against Intelligent Design by hahn(m): 2:23pm On Apr 11, 2017
adepeter26:
Make I call lalasticlala to hear read his opinion

Forget lalasticlala unless it involves snakes or something totally meaningless
Re: Arguments Against Intelligent Design by CatfishBilly: 2:31pm On Apr 11, 2017
Why are all the religious people avoiding this naa?
Wilgrea7, let me hear your opinion.
Re: Arguments Against Intelligent Design by ilynem(m): 3:31pm On Apr 11, 2017
One simple question. What is this thread supposed to achieve?
Re: Arguments Against Intelligent Design by ilynem(m): 3:36pm On Apr 11, 2017
Niflheim:

Hmmmm. So I guess this makes a lot more sense than everything we see today coming out of nothing? Wow
Re: Arguments Against Intelligent Design by Wilgrea7(m): 3:36pm On Apr 11, 2017
CatfishBilly:
Why are all the religious people avoiding this naa?
Wilgrea7, let me hear your opinion.

i don't have much to say tho... i didn't look into creation... but I'll say the little i know

as for
1) Argumentum ad ignorantiam

not all proponents of intelligent design say that its God because they don't know... they claim to know that it is God... meaning that they're not actually choosing God as an option to fill their ignorance but they're saying they KNOW its God... but then you'll ask for evidence... but then... they can't bring any evidence that science can scrutinize because the creationist appeals to something wider than the current reach of science and that will lead to disagreement between both parties and the cycle will go on forever

2) God of the gaps
i don't usually appeal to this.... science doesn't have the sufficient knowledge.... yes.... but there is no assurance that when they attain such knowledge, they either will or won't ascribe it to any divine force .... so i think the proponent and the opponent have a 50:50 chance so therefore ... the argument that God fills in where science lacks as per creation should not be used.

i have no opinion on the flaws of creation.... i don't actually know it all smiley

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arguments Against Intelligent Design by CatfishBilly: 4:27pm On Apr 11, 2017
ilynem:
One simple question. What is this thread supposed to achieve?
It's a debate. If you have opposing views, let's hear it.

1 Like

Re: Arguments Against Intelligent Design by ilynem(m): 5:22pm On Apr 11, 2017
CatfishBilly:

It's a debate. If you have opposing views, let's hear it.
Well, to be honest I have never seen a normal debate on nairaland. Always one group (atheists) trying to tell another (theists) how delusional they are for believing In an imaginary sky daddy. Go through the comments and you will see what I mean.

1 Like

Re: Arguments Against Intelligent Design by DoctorAlien(m): 5:39pm On Apr 11, 2017
Niflheim:

Very ignorant post. Only a simple human being devoid of any shred of understanding doesn't know that death and infirmities are the curses of sin.

I'd advise you to spend more time on your books than you do trying to appear intelligent to a group of confused individuals.
Re: Arguments Against Intelligent Design by randomperson: 5:44pm On Apr 11, 2017
ilynem:

Hmmmm. So I guess this makes a lot more sense than everything we see today coming out of nothing? Wow
You're completely missing the point... It makes more sense than claiming a world with abundant imperfections was intelligently designed by an omnipotent being. It's just illogical
Re: Arguments Against Intelligent Design by randomperson: 5:47pm On Apr 11, 2017
DoctorAlien:

Very ignorant post. Only a simple human being devoid of any shred of understanding doesn't know that death and infirmities are the curses of sin.

I'd advise you to spend more time on your books than you do trying to appear intelligent to a group of confused individuals.
If sinning is wrong and an omnipotent god created humans who are subject to falling into sin then god didn't do a perfect job
Re: Arguments Against Intelligent Design by DoctorAlien(m): 5:47pm On Apr 11, 2017
Trash as usual.

I've never learnt anything meaningful from any write-up posted by any "freethinker" on Nairaland. Look at a confused fellow saying that science has "debunked" Intelligent Design simply because they don't have a demonstrable hypothesis.

I'm sure the OP doesn't know the meaning of "debunk".

No wonder they are so "intelligent" as to believe that everything exploded into existence 14 billion years ago from a small mass of nothing. Or that they descended from monkeys.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arguments Against Intelligent Design by CatfishBilly: 5:53pm On Apr 11, 2017
DoctorAlien:

So, the obvious design flaws from birth like inability of humans to synthesize Vitamin C and Folic acid and ectopic and abdominal pregnancies are also the result of sin?

2 Likes

Re: Arguments Against Intelligent Design by CatfishBilly: 5:56pm On Apr 11, 2017
DoctorAlien:
Trash as usual.

I've never learnt anything meaningful from any write-up posted by any "freethinker" on Nairaland. Look at a confused fellow saying that science has "debunked" Intelligent Design simply because they don't have a demonstrable hypothesis.

No wonder they are so "intelligent" as to believe that everything exploded into existence 14 billion years ago from a small mass of nothing. Or that they descended from monkeys.
For something to be accepted by science, it has to have a hypothesis at the barest minimum, Intelligent Design proponents don't have that, so they're grouped with Dr. Iguedo and his Goko Cleanser as pseudoscience.

1 Like

Re: Arguments Against Intelligent Design by DoctorAlien(m): 5:56pm On Apr 11, 2017
CatfishBilly:

So, the obvious design flaws from birth like inability of humans to synthesize Vitamin C and Folic acid and ectopic and abdominal pregnancies are also the result of sin?

The Vitamin C we don't synthesize, we get from things like tomato and citrus. That was why GOD gave Adam fruits to eat in Eden.

Everything abnormal and undesirable didn't exist in the perfect world GOD created. Leaves didn't decay. Everything was perfect. Sin came in, and brought death and decay.

GOD will still rid the earth of sin, sinners and the curses of sin.

1 Like

Re: Arguments Against Intelligent Design by DoctorAlien(m): 5:59pm On Apr 11, 2017
CatfishBilly:

For something to be accepted by science, it has to have a hypothesis at the barest minimum, Intelligent Design proponents don't have that, so they're grouped with Dr. Iguedo and his Goko Cleanser as pseudoscience.

But that everything exploded from nothing and that a one-celled organism in the ocean suddenly became a dinosaur and that lightning struck a primordial "soup" and life appeared are all science right?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Arguments Against Intelligent Design by CatfishBilly: 6:01pm On Apr 11, 2017
DoctorAlien:

The Vitamin C we don't synthesize, we get from things like tomato and citrus. That was why GOD gave Adam fruits to eat in Eden.

Everything abnormal and undesirable didn't exist in the perfect world GOD created. Leaves didn't decay. Everything was perfect. Sin came in, and brought death and decay.

Okay, address ectopic and abdominal pregnancies and how flawed the retina is.
While you're at it, also add shortening telomeres that lead to cancers and failed mutation repairs that lead to cancer

1 Like

Re: Arguments Against Intelligent Design by CatfishBilly: 6:08pm On Apr 11, 2017
DoctorAlien:

But that everything exploded from nothing and that a one-celled organism in the ocean suddenly became a dinosaur and that lightning struck a primordial "soup" and life appeared are all science right?
It makes more sense than Intelligent design.
Re: Arguments Against Intelligent Design by felixomor: 6:54pm On Apr 11, 2017
DoctorAlien:
Trash as usual.

Exactly.!

The person who posted this was thoroughly given a lecture on carbon dating this afternoon by a theist he detests so much.

And hence came out to pour out his venom and anger with this thread.
Nothing new here.
Re: Arguments Against Intelligent Design by Amberon: 6:59pm On Apr 11, 2017
Senseless.
Re: Arguments Against Intelligent Design by Nobody: 6:59pm On Apr 11, 2017

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Arguments Against Intelligent Design by Nobody: 7:05pm On Apr 11, 2017
DoctorAlien:

God will? Why future tense? There is uncertainty about the future. (moreover that incompetent god that does sleep like a drunkard? A god that couldn't locate Adam? Is that that god that will?)

BTW, why didn't he get rid of sin by using the flood? I guess the purpose of the Noah 's flood was as a result of god' s anger to wipe off sinners.

How did sin still persist? Or didn't the flood wipe all sinners?
Why didn't the flood wipe Lucifer?

Why "will"?

Go get better points joor

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arguments Against Intelligent Design by CatfishBilly: 7:10pm On Apr 11, 2017
felixomor:

Exactly.!

The person who posted this was thoroughly given a lecture on carbon dating this afternoon by a theist he detests so much.

And hence came out to pour out his venom and anger with this thread.
Nothing new here.
Adepeter26, realmindz, randomperson you guys were there on that thread.
Felix you can lie for Africa. No atom of shame

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Arguments Against Intelligent Design by CatfishBilly: 7:11pm On Apr 11, 2017
Amberon:
Senseless.
Counter the points in the thread.
It's not a must to comment if you have nothing to say.

1 Like

Re: Arguments Against Intelligent Design by ilynem(m): 7:20pm On Apr 11, 2017
randomperson:

You're completely missing the point... It makes more sense than claiming a world with abundant imperfections was intelligently designed by an omnipotent being. It's just illogical
Abundant imperfections you say? Like??
Re: Arguments Against Intelligent Design by felixomor: 7:32pm On Apr 11, 2017
CatfishBilly:

Adepeter26, realmindz, randomperson you guys were there on that thread.
Felix you can lie for Africa. No atom of shame

LoooLz..... grin
What u do actually.....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Calvary Greetings. / How False Men Of God Steal Peoples Glory / Iceland Declares Christianity A Public Health Hazard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.