Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,910 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:01 PM

Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) (53940 Views)

Checkout Some Dangerously Overloaded Okadas Spotted On The Road (PHOTOS) / Kasuwar Magani, Kaduna Where It Is Forbidden To ‘Love’ / Ogun Community Where The Use Of Umbrella Is A Taboo (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by Kyllahmc(m): 2:28am On Apr 16, 2016
Awwww This place looks very peaceful and calm... Feel like going there to clear my head and rest my spirit for a while
Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by maleeks(m): 3:18am On Apr 16, 2016
cooldipo:

I'm interested....let me take one space out of the five available....looking forward to the experience! Cheers
Funjosh:

Am very much interested.
autolearner:

I'm very interested in a trip down.
Should i shoot you an email?
@Cooldipo
@Funjosh
@Brownemmanuel43
@Autolearner
@Samguine
brownemmanuel43:

@ maleek am also interested for the journey
@Cooldipo
@Funjosh
@Brownemmanuel43
@Autolearner
@Samguine
we are now good to go guys, would you mail me, so we can share our cellphone numbers and prepare for our trip while we chat on whatsapp
Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by docjuli(m): 6:39am On Apr 16, 2016
jaymichael:
Tomaro Onisiwo is my Island. I live there. The picture the writer painted, is not that bleak. Though the Island is not connected to the National grid (yet) and the community is badly in need of a decent health care facility, the Island and surrounding Islands are serene and not all houses are shanties. (My house a decent and is not a shanty) The view from the window of my room is what some people will kill for. The small lake and the backdrop of the rising Eko Atlantic is what I wake up to everyday.
Tomaro is improving and it will improve. It was not like this 5,10 or 15 years ago.
I will be posting pictures of my beautiful Island here.
There are motorcycles (lots of it even on the island) and neither motorcycle nor motorcars are forbidden. There are no cars because there is no way of ferrying it to the island.

The writer's forbidden is on quote which means it is not forbidden but due to the difficulty in getting to this island, vehicles have become "foirbidden".
Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 7:14am On Apr 16, 2016
Sunrise pictures of the small lake behind my house (view from my window)

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 7:18am On Apr 16, 2016
More. The water rises and recedes with thevtide and ebb. Right now, it's low tide.

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by NigerianScholar: 7:49am On Apr 16, 2016
jaymichael:
Tomaro Onisiwo is my Island. I live there. The picture the writer painted, is not that bleak. Though the Island is not connected to the National grid (yet) and the community is badly in need of a decent health care facility, the Island and surrounding Islands are serene and not all houses are shanties. (My house a decent and is not a shanty) The view from the window of my room is what some people will kill for. The small lake and the backdrop of the rising Eko Atlantic is what I wake up to everyday.
Tomaro is improving and it will improve. It was not like this 5,10 or 15 years ago.
There are motorcycles (lots of it even on the island) and neither motorcycle nor motorcars are forbidden. There are no cars because there is no way of ferrying it to the island.
Nice work with the pics. But next time when the lighting of an area is contrasting. Like the sun being brighter than everything else in d pic. Use the hdr mode on your camera to avoid everything being black. Like d first pic

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 7:52am On Apr 16, 2016
NigerianScholar:

Nice work with the pics. But next time when the lighting of an area is contrasting. Like the sun being brighter than everything else in d pic. Use the hdr mode on your camera to avoid everything being black. Like d first pic
Got it, thanks.
Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by NigerianScholar: 7:56am On Apr 16, 2016
jaymichael:
Compare the two pics below. Youll see d noticeable difference
1st pic is normal. 2nd with hdr.

2 Likes

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by josite: 8:17am On Apr 16, 2016
jaymichael:
Just stay tuned, I will post more pictures of my Island and how we survive living off-grid. I lost a lot of pictures of our Island when some files got deleted on my SDcard.
people no know say Lagos na 2

you are the greatest nigerian ive met this year,in fact the man of the year.do tell us how we can come to the island for a weekend .plssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.drop your gsm,some of us will love to own a beachhome in your island.THUMBS UP.U ARE TRULY THE MAN OF THE YEAR.love your my cup is half full approach rather than my cup is half empty mindset of most Nigerians.

3 Likes

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 8:25am On Apr 16, 2016
NigerianScholar:

Compare the two pics below. Youll see d noticeable difference
1st pic is normal. 2nd with hdr.
Ya, I see. We learn something new everyday.

2 Likes

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 8:48am On Apr 16, 2016
I want to go to my Pastor's to iron his clothes, I will show you a novel idea I use to press clothes. Gas.

3 Likes

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by yhellow(m): 8:52am On Apr 16, 2016
Nice environment, I love quite area like this. Love to visit this place soon.
Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 9:01am On Apr 16, 2016
My church, main street.

1 Like

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 9:26am On Apr 16, 2016
I have to sand paper and wash the face of the iron to remove rust and dirt. I will place one iron on the fire, while pressing with the other one. When that one cools, I will press with the one on the gas stove instead of using only one iron and waiting for it to get hot. This system irons perfectly without stain if you use it well. The 3kg cylinder refills for 800 naira and it lasts many months. You can use it for a year sef. I will show you as I progress in the course of the ironing.

2 Likes

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by kemmary: 9:57am On Apr 16, 2016
maleeks:

lemme know whenever you guys are ready to go there for vacation, I'm also interested and I shall sponsor the trip for 5 ( interested ) Nairalanders.... This is a place to be, Jaymichelle please ckeck your inbox, I just sent you a mail
am interested too oh
Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by faites(f): 10:02am On Apr 16, 2016
jaymichael:
I have to sand paper and wash the face of the iron to remove rust and dirt. I will place one iron on the fire, while pressing with the other one. When that one cools, I will press with the one on the gas stove instead of using only one iron and waiting for it to get hot. This system irons perfectly without stain if you use it well. The 3kg cylinder refills for 800 naira and it lasts many months. You can use it for a year sef. I will show you as I progress in the course of the ironing.

This is genius. Looks like the old charcoal iron, but better.
Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by Commentus2: 10:35am On Apr 16, 2016
dre11:

http://www.punchng.com/lagos-community-where-cars-okadas-are-forbidden/

Pic 1: Shanties at Tomaro on Tuesday. Inset: Villagers arriving Tomaro from Liverpool Jetty

Pic 2: The shoreline of Agala 1… on Tuesday

Wu ur post come eep now?! She dem d inhabitants dey complain to u?! Dem no wan pollution for their area, you come come here dey open mouth likeLagos Lagoon dey leak water!!! Mind ya business!!!cool

3 Likes

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 10:40am On Apr 16, 2016
faites:

This is genius. Looks like the old charcoal iron, but better.
The gas gives off blue flame which doesn't stain clothes. Those electric iron spoils the coils of generators.
Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 10:51am On Apr 16, 2016
Commentus2:
Wu ur post come eep now?! She dem d inhabitants dey complain to u?! Dem no wan pollution for their area, you come come here dey open mouth likeLagos Lagoon dey leak water!!! Mind ya business!!!cool
True, there are some shanties and many houses without toilet facilities, the writer stated things from his own lens as a reporter while I state things as an islander.

5 Likes

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by Lasunnaira(m): 10:55am On Apr 16, 2016
jaymichael:

most of us do this on d mainland that has national grid. wot's d point in living on d mainland with national grid and no light. wot u enjoy is heavy noise, heat, overcrowding pls name them...
i love the island joor. i love the name sef TOMARO

1 Like

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 11:06am On Apr 16, 2016
maleeks:
@Cooldipo
@Funjosh
@Brownemmanuel43
@Autolearner
@Samguine

@Cooldipo
@Funjosh
@Brownemmanuel43
@Autolearner
@Samguine
we are now good to go guys, would you mail me, so we can share our cellphone numbers and prepare for our trip while we chat on whatsapp
To make your visit worthwhile, you should try to include the one hour hike to tarkwa bay beach in your itinerary trust me, it is worth it. It will take you more than a day to explore the island from Sagbokoji, to irede (manager) to tomaro Ituagan, Agoyin, ikoata, Abagbo to Tarkwa bay.

1 Like

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by faites(f): 11:35am On Apr 16, 2016
jaymichael:
To make your visit worthwhile, you should try to include the one hour hike to tarkwa bay beach in your itinerary trust me, it is worth it. It will take you more than a day to explore the island from Sagbokoji, to irede (manager) to tomaro Ituagan, Agoyin, ikoata, Abagbo to Tarkwa bay.

Pls add me to that list of tourists, I am interested
Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by sorepco(m): 11:59am On Apr 16, 2016
Just what i was thinking man...after i read the post i felt pity for the place. Then when mivhael came onboard i almost cried.....then it i cried when i read ur post.
U c life? When others see destitution and poverty others with a can do attitude see opportunity!!
Michael i think u bettet come down you high horse n get ur hands dirty. Why dont u charge a fee and ferry
Some people to see the island!!

Dinocarex:
This thread was Opened to spite the people of Tomaro-onisiro but with the intervention of a guy, this thread suddenly turns to a place I'm willing to spend couple of weeks in.

That's life.....
Turn lemon to lemonade
Your way of thinking can take u far...
Either u see a cup of water half filled or half empty is left to u.

1 Like

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by Nobody: 1:51pm On Apr 16, 2016
interested in going to visit..........
Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by nwarosa: 2:45pm On Apr 16, 2016
I would like to come and shoot my film there. It sounds like the perfect setting although I was considering Cross River state before.

Would a film crew be welcome ? What about the area boys ? Generator noise in the nights? Any hotel around?

jaymichael:
Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 4:21pm On Apr 16, 2016
nwarosa:
I would like to come and shoot my film there. It sounds like the perfect setting although I was considering Cross River state before.

Would a film crew be welcome ? What about the area boys ? Generator noise in the nights? Any hotel around?

Film crew used to come to the island to shoot. The late Manager (that owned the vast land now sold to be used for industrial use) used to invite film crews to the island. There are small chalets but Apapa is not far and there are lots of hotels there. Generator noise is no problem. Not all the villagers switch on gen set besides, the community is not an affluent one.
Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 5:46pm On Apr 16, 2016
Done with ironing

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by nwarosa: 6:10pm On Apr 16, 2016
jaymichael:
Film crew used to come to the island to shoot. The late Manager (that owned the vast land now sold to be used for industrial use) used to invite film crews to the island. There are small chalets but Apapa is not far and there are lots of hotels there. Generator noise is no problem. Not all the villagers switch on gen set besides, the community is not an affluent one.
Thanks. My preference would be to stay on the island. We can't be carrying equipment to and fro daily.

One question though, do you have fishermen on the island?
Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 7:16pm On Apr 16, 2016
Tomaro Junior and Senior Secondary school. Solar powered elecricity provided by the Lagos State Government. The school and staff quater is powered 24/7 with solar energy. Kudos to Lagos State Government past and present for this initiative. More needs to be done sha.

5 Likes

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 7:19pm On Apr 16, 2016
nwarosa:
Thanks. My preference would be to stay on the island. We can't be carrying equipment to and fro daily.

One question though, do you have fishermen on the island?
Plenty, most of those Eguns, (Agoyin) are fishermen.
Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 7:29pm On Apr 16, 2016
An evening strol to the field and waterside

Re: Tomaro-Onisiwo, Lagos Community Where Cars, Okadas Are ‘forbidden’ (pictures) by jaymichael(m): 7:32pm On Apr 16, 2016
More

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Pictures Of The Lagos Bus Terminal In Ikeja (Pictures, Video) / UK Warns Against Travel To 21 States / Which Nigerian City Can Road Traffic Be As Discipline As This? (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.