Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,258 members, 7,815,403 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:52 AM

What Was Jonathan's/pdp Economic Policy - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Was Jonathan's/pdp Economic Policy (2882 Views)

Jonathan’s PDP Peace Meeting Ends In Disarray / Buhari Has No Economic Policy – Mohammed / What Was Jonathan's Achievement In The Niger Delta In 5 Years Of His Presidency? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Was Jonathan's/pdp Economic Policy by theshadyexpress(m): 8:52am On Apr 16, 2016
Rolings:

Though you made points but your opening paragraph protrays you as someone with an axe to grind in other words you sound like a sore loser . Let me ask if you had 16 years and was not able to do all you listed then would you have been proud of your party? The point is APC can not be compared with PDP just yet they need to prove themselves and that can't be done in just 1 year for Goodness sake that's why they have at least 4 years. I don't know where you are or how old you were in 1999 but I can tell you there was great sufferings during the first few years of PDP reign greater than we are feeling now but most Nigerians still kept faith up till now .

i sound like a sore loser? guess thats your own way of exhibiting comic relief cos if read through the thread you'll notice the OP that started the thread was an APC zombie and his intentions was to ridicule the past regime in favour of the present so pls get you facts right

as for the sufferings under PDP in 1999 compared to an APC in 2016 it is still very debatable because i can tell you authoritatively that the military handed over a dead economy to the civilian regime check the stats yourself but reverse was the case in 2015 cos PDP handed over a booming economy to the APC in 2015 pls check your stats too

if anybody is comparing the 1yr old APC regime to a 16yr old PDP regime ,it is the APC zombies cos they keep referring us back to the PDP era anytime they are been criticized

but im yet to see how PDP is the cause of APC inability forge a clear economic plan

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Was Jonathan's/pdp Economic Policy by theshadyexpress(m): 8:56am On Apr 16, 2016
blackpanda:

And ur comment lack any iota of sense at all. I believe my write up is clean and clear for any intelligent person to see. Contrary to ur bogus lies, allegations against orubebe is not by apc. Its by orubebe's contractor and it even started in jonathan's time

Stop telling lies and hide your head in shame!

its you that should be ashamed of your ability to reason like you saw the for walls of a school, you wrote a pile of crap with no fact and appear to sound intelligent, pls can u give us a link to your bogus claim and pls dont quote me those sahara lies cos i dont do beer parlour gossips

in the absence of this just carry your ignorance back to your zombie quarters

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Was Jonathan's/pdp Economic Policy by deji68: 9:01am On Apr 16, 2016
theshadyexpress:

its you that should be ashamed of your ability to reason like you saw the for walls of a school, you wrote a pile of crap with no fact and appear to sound intelligent, pls can u give us a link to your bogus claim and pls dont quote me those sahara lies cos i dont do beer parlour gossips

in the absence of this just carry your ignorance back to your zombie quarters
grin grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Was Jonathan's/pdp Economic Policy by orunto27: 9:29am On Apr 16, 2016
Who is asking and why do you want to know?
Re: What Was Jonathan's/pdp Economic Policy by obailala(m): 11:43am On Apr 16, 2016
LadyExcellency:

I am quoting NBS statistics

Professor Osinbajo said so himself, evacuation/transmission and gas supply is the only problem hindering supply to consumers.

Distribution capacity stands at 10000Mw to 15000Mw.

See what Soludo have to say recently though sympathetic to APC

[b]As Nigeria has largely evolved into a two party state in a democracy, I prefer to frame the discourse on the baseline as ‘PDP’s legacy and the APC’s challenge’!
Since it is the practice to blame the PDP for every ill that befell our country in the last 16 years (and there are many of them) it is also fair to credit them with the positive ones.

According to data from NBS, one outstanding legacy of the PDP is that in 16 years it held sway, it more than doubled the GDP of Nigeria (indeed with average year-on-year GDP growth rate in excess of 6% over the past 12 years, the GDP actually doubled within the last 12 years. It met average annual growth rate of about 2% and raised it to 6-7%, led by the non-oil sector. Yes, non-oil sector, and the “diversification” reported in the recently re-based GDP happened within the last 16 years.

Will the economy more than double in the next 12 years under the APC? For me, if only the APC can double the size of GDP from about $550 billion to $1.1 trillion in 12 -16 years, and further half the poverty index, Nigeria will indeed be on course to be one of the largest 10 economies in the world by the end of this century.

As at 1999 when PDP came to power, Nigeria was largely a pariah state still lucky to have survived as one indivisible sovereign, especially in the context of the struggle by NADECO and restiveness in many parts of the country.

On corruption, Transparency International scored it 1.6 out of 10 and ranked 98 out of 99 countries in 1999. Nigeria was listed among four countries that were non-compliant on the anti-money laundering rules by the Financial Action Task Force (FATF). We could not service our external debt and relied on stressful rescheduling, with all the intrusive donor conditionalities. Poverty was estimated at 70%, and unemployment at nearly 20%.

The 1990s will go down in our economic history as the decade of stagnation: when per capita income growth was zero. Average oil price in May 1999 when President Obasanjo took over was $15.24 while stock of reserves was about $5 billion.

Like I rightly said in my earlier post, "Capacity (potential energy) is useless except it is converted to something useful." 12,000mw capacity is useless if the consumers end up getting only a very erratic supply floating between 2000mw to 5000mw.

I still dont understand the statistics which you mentioned about GEJ reducing poverty by half though. I dont even believe the NBS said that.
Re: What Was Jonathan's/pdp Economic Policy by obailala(m): 11:58am On Apr 16, 2016
theshadyexpress:

i keep asking you to prove nay sayers wrong, pls provide us the government economic document cos i can remember PDP having a vision 20-20-20 document and jonathan breaking it down further with a transformation document, under yar'adua it was the 7-point agenda

pls show us buhari's economic document
20-20-20, 7-point agenda, transformation agenda, Change agenda, etc are all bullocks. Beautiful names are all crap especially when we know every government still copies the former ans adds a little modifications.

The present govt claims its policy is focused on 3 areas namely; Security, Corruption and the Economy. You can call it a 3 point agenda if you like (in line with what previous administrations always did. But this govt hasnt decided to give it any particular beautiful name. If you need an idea of the economic policy, the 2016 'budget of change' is where you should look. In terms of the economy, the following 33 policy action plans answers your question.

http://www.channelstv.com/2016/04/07/osinbajo-rolls-33-policy-actions-revamp-economy/

A simple summary of the policy is also shown below.
tuale4u:
Thw truth is dat this Buhari govt actually had d most well defined economic policy in d last 8years.
The economy policy is so clear. Yet many people just shout for nothing because they dont understand the meaning of economic policy. Budget is d major part economic policy. And this 2016 is d most well defined economy policy.
Below are d economic policy of Buhari govt policy:
1. Job creation through massive infrastructural projects worth over 1.5trillion naira. This is d first time in Nigeria history infrastructure will be more than 1 trillion naira.
These include massive spending on rail, road, power and airport.
2. Poverty reduction through social intervention. This includde 23000 to 25000 naira per month for 500,000 graduate volunteer teachers.
3. Extreme poverty management and social integration and intervention through 5000 naira stipend to 1million Extreme poor widow and age.
4.Diversification through Agriculture and solid minerals. The govt has already sign alot of MOU with many countries on these regard. This is one of d reason d president have b travelling alot.
5. On d monetary policy, d govt is monetary police is saving Forex for essential commodities. Thus dual exchange rate. 199 for essential goods and 325 for nob essential goods. This policy is well defined and deliberate by d govt.
Below is definition of Economy policy
http://www.cliffsnotes.com/study-guides/economics/introduction/economic-policy
From the definition above it is clear d govt have economic policy clearly defined.
1. Spending and Taxation: The govt spending plan is clearly defined by d Budget. A deficit budget with about 1.5 trillion on Insfracstructure. In terms of Taxation, the govt have clearly make thier priority the increasing of tax base to more companies, persons and product. This has clearly be shown with d plan recruitment of 1250 professional staff by FIRS.
2. Distrubution of income from Rich to the poor: This part of economic policy, is clearly shown in d budget with the 500 billion social intervention fund. This will be used for 500,000 vokunteer graduate teachers, 1million exreme poor widow and aged, 1 million market women with 50k granr each and d 370,000 training of artisans.
3.Supply of Money. This means monetary policy including forex. This govt have deliberate choose to use dual exchange exchange as a way of preventing rapid decline of foreign reserves. Thus by so doing, d future is protected. It is an indirect saving technique.
But all in all, while you keep shouting policy! Policy! May you be reminded that a lack of policy has never and will never be the bane of Nigeria's economic growth. Rather, the political will, competence and hardwork to implement and see these policies through.
Re: What Was Jonathan's/pdp Economic Policy by jpphilips(m): 7:04am On Apr 18, 2016
LadyExcellency:
Vision 20-20

PDP took over government in 1999 when Nigeria was 94th highest Economy in the World and left it in 26th position in 2015.

The vision is realizable within the next five years.

PDP eradicated polio, ICT penetration from 0.2% to over 60%, and a new contributory pension scheme now with trillions of Naira in pension fund

The capitalization of the Nigerian Stock Exchange grew from less than N1 trillion to N12 trillion as at handover.

Jonathan/PDP reduced Poverty by half
Jonathan left 12000Mw power capacity.
Jonathan's agricultural policies were fruitful.

If Jonathan came anywhere close, he will still be president

1 Like

Re: What Was Jonathan's/pdp Economic Policy by betaessays: 9:18am On Sep 10, 2017
Re: What Was Jonathan's/pdp Economic Policy by alen4smith(m): 9:58am On Sep 10, 2017
owotonbinu:
Often times we hear opposition come out to complain about buhari's lack of economic policy direction, I keep wondering if there were any visible economic policy set up by previous governments especially jonathan's administratiom. One thing is certain no serious government just comes and starts rolling out policies without studying what is on ground, besides most times I don't get carried away by all this internet users cum professional economist, Nigerians know solutions to all problems when they are on the sidelines but put them there they fail woefully, one fact is nigerian economy cannot be solved by mere textbook solutions due to poor statistics and poor/no data records. The present government is gradually taking on the economy issues and I believe with time results would begin to show just like in the area of insurgency. Now my question is what economic policy direction did the jonathan administration geared towards. Sorry for any typographical error, used my phone. Thanks

Cc omenka, passingshot,modath,ngeneukwenu,abagworo,beremx,searchiing4love.
stealing

1 Like

Re: What Was Jonathan's/pdp Economic Policy by greatiyk4u(m): 10:04am On Sep 10, 2017
LadyExcellency:
Vision 20-20

PDP took over government in 1999 when Nigeria was 94th highest Economy in the World and left it in 26th position in 2015.

The vision is realizable within the next five years.

PDP eradicated polio, ICT penetration from 0.2% to over 60%, and a new contributory pension scheme now with trillions of Naira in pension fund

The capitalization of the Nigerian Stock Exchange grew from less than N1 trillion to N12 trillion as at handover.

Jonathan/PDP reduced Poverty by half
Jonathan left 12000Mw power capacity.
Jonathan's agricultural policies were fruitful.

Lolz.............you truly like reeling out figures without mercy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Names Of 17 Senators That Followed Bukola Saraki To CCT Trial Today / Celebrating Pipeline Bombing/killing Of Security Personalz / See The People Who Want Nnamdi Kanu Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.