Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,567 members, 7,847,368 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 04:23 PM

Hausa Man Must Be Emir - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hausa Man Must Be Emir (27342 Views)

"Buhari Until We Die, No Igbo Will Rule This Country Again": Hausa Man On 2019 / Hausa Man Contests For Councillor In Ebonyi Under PDP (Photos) / Man Killed By Hausa Man In Aba Today (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by Nobody: 8:03am On Apr 29, 2016
lawani:

A Kano man said Kwankwanso is from the Kano quarters reserved for Yoruba settlers. That is enough for me. Even Saraki in Ilorin at one time claimed to be Fulani. To me, Kwankwanso is a Bakane of Yoruba descent because of his primary constituency in Kano, regardless of his public statements. I have told you the info I need to believe Aminu Kano is Fula, if you can not provide it, then he remains Hausa as he self identified.

The Yoruba do not get involved in Hausa Fulani collabo. So I doubt if a Yoruba person is the OP. I only responded to the Ilorin comment and then the Aminu Kano origin comment.

Smh, It's not uncommon for fulas, especially in the north west to identify as Hausa. Also, whoever that so called kano man is, he sounds clueless! So there's a place in kano reserved for yorubas? Lol! Kwankwaso is a pullo, he's not claiming some botched ancestry, it's his parents, it's pretty simple and straight forward. Anyone who says otherwise is either deluded or a liar.

"I am Fulani. My parents settled many years ago. My father went to school and I have been to school. My children have gone to school. Now, I don’t think I will get cattle and go into a forest; that is education for you."- kwankwaso
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by aventura: 8:44am On Apr 29, 2016
Regardless of who the op is or what his intentions are, I think northerners should embrace this thread and make "lemonades" out of it.

A good part of Nigeria's history is either untold or misrepresented out of the supposedly unwritten rule which seeks to not tell the Nigerian story for whatever reasons.

So fulanimafia and co should explore this thread for the right reasons
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by GorkoSusaay: 12:21pm On Apr 29, 2016
lawani:

Aminu Kano called for the abolition of the Sokoto caliphate. So I wonder what you mean by saying he is Fulani. We know many gentlemen who are Fulani like Alhaji Shagari, Dangiwa Umar and etc and we know thugs like PMB but unless you can bring proof that Aminu Kano is Fulani, he remains Hausa as he identified himself. His mother however maybe related to Fulani. The proof I need is his father's name, clan, his other brothers by thesame father, his paternal Uncles and their descendants, if you can not produce those info, then leave the man as Hausa as he identified himself.

Then Muritala Mohammed is a Bakane of Auchi descent just like Kwakwanso is a Bakane of Yoruba descent. An Ijaw woman in Ile Ife told me Nnamdi Azikiwe was Ijaw who left with an Igbo person at a young age and etc. You find that such stories are true if you dig deeper.

So because Aminu Kano called for the abolition of the Sokoto Caliphate, he cannot be Fulani? Is that it?
Baabaaliyo, please come talk to this man grin
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by GorkoSusaay: 12:26pm On Apr 29, 2016
VomeSchakleton:

Lol! Arguing that aminu kano is not Fulani is quite ridiculous little small fry. Also, kwankwaso is fula, he said so himself, I don't know the mad man who told you he's Yoruba. It seems you don't understand the meaning of this bakane you keep throwing around. Stop trying to claim to know the ethnicity of our people more than us. It seems this whole thread was created by a Yoruba person, what you seek to accomplish I don't know.

You see what denial, ignorance and frustration does to a brain?
And then they want to discuss rationally when they are all full of passion

1 Like

Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by lawani: 12:33pm On Apr 29, 2016
GorkoSusaay:

So because Aminu Kano called for the abolition of the Sokoto Caliphate, he cannot be Fulani? Is that it?
Baabaaliyo, please come talk to this man grin

We know Aminu Kano as a champion of the Hausa masses and Sir Ahmadu Bello as a Fulani supremacist. So it will be interesting to realise that Aminu kano is a Fulani as well. i will indeed be pleasantly surprised. So furnish me with the info I requested. There was an Emir of Kano, the grandfather of the present one or so, who wanted to wanted to one way or the other relax the hold of the Fulani on the Hausa, he was dethroned. So please furnish me with conclusive evidence that Aminu Kano was Fula, it will only make my respect for him increase. The man must have patrilineal relatives who are still Fulani, if he does not, then i do not accept your proposal that he was Fula
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by lawani: 12:36pm On Apr 29, 2016
GorkoSusaay:

You see what denial, ignorance and frustration does to a brain?
And then they want to discuss rationally when they are all full of passion

You are a fool my dear. I am a Yoruba man from Ilesa. What do you mean by denial, ignorance and frustration? Have we met? Why do you think I am denied, ignorant or frustrated?
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by GorkoSusaay: 1:00pm On Apr 29, 2016
lawani:

You are a fool my dear. I am a Yoruba man from Ilesa. What do you mean by denial, ignorance and frustration? Have we met? Why do you think I am denied, ignorant or frustrated?

Why do you say that Aminu Kano is not Fulani, when he's a member of the Gyanawa Clan?
Why do you say that Murtala Mohammed is from Auchi when his grandfather Sulaiman was the Alkalin Kano at the beginning of the 20th century?

I'm very curious.
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by lawani: 1:08pm On Apr 29, 2016
GorkoSusaay:

Why do you say that Aminu Kano is not Fulani, when he's a member of the Gyanawa Clan?
Why do you say that Murtala Mohammed is from Auchi when his grandfather Sulaiman was the Alkalin Kano at the beginning of the 20th century?

I'm very curious.

People say Muritala Mohammed was originally from Auchi but if you can show me his brothers from thesame mother and father who are Kanawa without any attachment to Auchi, then I will stop believing the Auchi story. There is no reason why Auchi people should say a man from Kano is an Auchi man unless they see reason to say so. Thesame goes for President Babangida, Dr Olusola Saraki and etc. Brothers and sisters who are Fulani, then i will believe them. We all know Aminu Kano as a champion of the Hausa masses who identified as Hausa and was against the Fulani establishment. So if you want me to believe what you are saying, you have to bring the evidence
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by GorkoSusaay: 1:11pm On Apr 29, 2016
lawani:

We know Aminu Kano as a champion of the Hausa masses and Sir Ahmadu Bello as a Fulani supremacist. So it will be interesting to realise that Aminu kano is a Fulani as well. i will indeed be pleasantly surprised. So furnish me with the info I requested. There was an Emir of Kano, the grandfather of the present one or so, who wanted to wanted to one way or the other relax the hold of the Fulani on the Hausa, he was dethroned. So please furnish me with conclusive evidence that Aminu Kano was Fula, it will only make my respect for him increase. The man must have patrilineal relatives who are still Fulani, if he does not, then i do not accept your proposal that he was Fula

Aminu Kano was not a champion of the "Hausa masses", he was a champion of the "talakawa" (commoners), which is not confined to a specific ethnicity.
So because Aminu Kano was a radical progressist, he cannot be "Fulani"?

1 Like

Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by lawani: 1:16pm On Apr 29, 2016
GorkoSusaay:

Aminu Kano was not a champion of the "Hausa masses", he was a champion of the "talakawa" (commoners), which is not confined to a specific ethnicity.
So because Aminu Kano was a radical progressist, he cannot be "Fulani"?

Talakawa is another name for the Hausa masses which contains poor Fulani as well. The town Fulani are afterall indistinguishable from the Hausa and the majority are poor people or talakawa. They are part of the Hausa masses. In Yoruba, it is called Mekunnu. I am not saying he can not be Fulani, I am saying you should provide proof. I am saying this because he was against the Fulani establishment throughout his political career. It was because of him that the UPN won in Kano
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by GorkoSusaay: 1:18pm On Apr 29, 2016
lawani:

People say Muritala Mohammed was originally from Auchi but if you can show me his brothers from thesame mother and father who are Kanawa without any attachment to Auchi, then I will stop believing the Auchi story. There is no reason why Auchi people should say a man from Kano is an Auchi man unless they see reason to say so. Thesame goes for President Babangida, Dr Olusola Saraki and etc. Brothers and sisters who are Fulani, then i will believe them. We all know Aminu Kano as a champion of the Hausa masses who identified as Hausa and was against the Fulani establishment. So if you want me to believe what you are saying, you have to bring the evidence

My friend, you are a rumor-peddler. So you state an assumption without any evidence, and you ask for evidence of its falseness, is that it? I don't care if you believe in the Auchi story. Believe what you will. It does not make it true.

For Aminu Kano's parentage, here are some elements taken from Paden (1973), Religion and Political Culture in Kano. I'm not sure that it will convince you since you are hell-bent on believing whatever you want to believe, without any care for the truth.

1 Like

Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by lawani: 1:31pm On Apr 29, 2016
GorkoSusaay:

My friend, you are a rumor-peddler. So you state an assumption without any evidence, and you ask for evidence of its falseness, is that it? I don't care if you believe in the Auchi story. Believe what you will. It does not make it true.

For Aminu Kano's parentage, here are some elements taken from Paden (1973), Religion and Political Culture in Kano. I'm not sure that it will convince you since you are hell-bent on believing whatever you want to believe, without any care for the truth.

Gyanawa is a settlement that was there when there were no town Fulani in Hausa land. Not even one. You must remember that the Fulani learnt Islam from the Yoruba, Hausa, Kanuri and etc after they started to become sedentary a few years back. So Gyanawa can not be Fulani in origin. Who then will remain as Hausas if all sedentary clans are appropriated as Fula by the Fulas? All successful people appropriated as Fula? It will not be right at all to say Gyanawa is Fulani in origin because the town was there when all Fulani were nomads.
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by GorkoSusaay: 1:39pm On Apr 29, 2016
lawani:

Gyanawa is a settlement that was there when there were no town Fulani in Hausa land. Not even one. You must remember that the Fulani learnt Islam from the Yoruba, Hausa, Kanuri and etc after they started to become sedentary a few years back. So Gyanawa can not be Fulani in origin. Who then will remain as Hausas if all sedentary clans are appropriated as Fula by the Fulas? All successful people appropriated as Fula? It will not be right at all to say Gyanawa is Fulani in origin because the town was there when all Fulani were nomads.

I knew it would be lost on you. I give up now.
So Emir Sanusi is not Fulani, because he is Sullubawa
Sultan Saad Abubakar is not Fulani, because he is Toronkawa.
Alaafin of Oyo is not Yoruba, he is an Oyo man lol

1 Like

Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by lawani: 1:48pm On Apr 29, 2016
GorkoSusaay:

I knew it would be lost on you. I give up now.
So Emir Sanusi is not Fulani, because he is Sullubawa
Sultan Saad Abubakar is not Fulani, because he is Toronkawa.
Alaafin of Oyo is not Yoruba, he is an Oyo man lol

Better give up because you have no point.
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by GorkoSusaay: 1:49pm On Apr 29, 2016
lawani:

It is so obvious that you have no idea of what you are talking about. Quite sad to see people clutching to their passions, inner selves, when all evidence point to the other way. I, myself, would be called Gyanawa/Jallubawa if I was from Kano. Gyanawa/Jallubawa are the eldest of the Fulani clans.
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by lawani: 1:58pm On Apr 29, 2016
GorkoSusaay:

It is so obvious that you have no idea of what you are talking about. Quite sad to see people clutching to their passions, inner selves, when all evidence point to the other way. I, myself, would be called Gyanawa/Jallubawa if I was from Kano. Gyanawa/Jallubawa are the eldest of the Fulani clans.

You dont need to be going round in circles. Since the Fulani jihad succeeded after breaking out in 1804, there will be Gyanawa who would identify as Fula while the majority would identify as Hausa, in the past, all identified as Hausa. So you can not say a man is Fulani just because he is a Gyanawa. that is the answer to your question.
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by GorkoSusaay: 2:08pm On Apr 29, 2016
lawani:

You dont need to be going round in circles. Since the Fulani jihad succeeded after breaking out in 1804, there will be Gyanawa who would identify as Fula while the majority would identify as Hausa, in the past, all identified as Hausa. So you can not say a man is Fulani just because he is a Gyanawa. that is the answer to your question.

That is not the answer to my question. Stop making things up. Gyanawa is a clan affiliation, not a demonym (Kanawa, Kebbawa...etc).
The Gyanawa fought on the side of the reformers in Eastern Kano under Mallam Bakatsine. They never identified as Hausa, or anything else. They are Gyanawa, because they are Jallubawa which is the eldest Fulani clan.
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by lawani: 2:16pm On Apr 29, 2016
GorkoSusaay:

That is not the answer to my question. Stop making things up. Gyanawa is a clan affiliation, not a demonym (Kanawa, Kebbawa...etc).
The Gyanawa fought on the side of the reformers in Eastern Kano under Mallam Bakatsine. They never identified as Hausa, or anything else. They are Gyanawa, because they are Jallubawa which is the eldest Fulani clan.

The jihad was successful because the Hausawa followed the Fulani Gida enmasse. If not, it would not have been successful. So that a clan fought alongside the reformers enmasse does not make them Fulani except that is the new definition of Fulani. The Gyanawa has been there when there were no Fulani Gida, thousands of years before the Fulani Gida emerged. Hausas and the Kanuri have been literate in Arabic for centuries. There have had Arabic scholars equivalents of Professors for centuries before the Fulani Gida emerged. So that the jihad was led by the Fulani Gida with the support of the nomads and the Hausa masses does not make the Gyanawa a Fulani people. the town has history going back to over one thousand years

And why would you suggest a Yoruba person is angry with or jealous of Fulani? if Hausas are not angry with Fulani, how can a Yoruba person? The Fulani are beneath the Yoruba in everything you want to mention, they have a lot of catching up to do. There are thousands of Fulani beggars in Yoruba land while poverty rate is high in Fulani controlled territory. The Yoruba are better off by a very wide margin, so it would be wrong to say a Yoruba is bitter against Fulanis who are beneath them in everything you want to highlight but I dont know what you meant by your statement. can you expantiate?
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by GorkoSusaay: 2:25pm On Apr 29, 2016
lawani:

The jihad was successful because the Hausawa followed the Fulani Gida enmasse. If not, it would not have been successful. So that a clan fought alongside the reformers enmasse does not make them Fulani except that is the new definition of Fulani. The Gyanawa has been there when there were no Fulani Gida, thousands of years before the Fulani Gida emerged. Hausas and the Kanuri have been literate in Arabic for centuries. There have had Arabic scholars equivalents of Professors for centuries before the Fulani Gida emerged. So that the jihad was led by the Fulani Gida with the support of the nomads and the Hausa masses does not make the Gyanawa a Fulani people. the town has history going back to over one thousand years

I have told you that Gyanawa denotes descent from a common ancestor. All the Gyanawa descend from Muhammad Gyano [i.e. Gyanawa= sons of Gyano] who was himself a Jallubawa, the eldest of the four initial Fulani clans. You cannot be more Fulani than that.

Now, I'm tired arguing with you. Stop mentioning me please.
Believe what you will. Aminu Kano is Hausa, Murtala Mohamed is from Auchi and whatever.
Fare you well Lawani and Long live the Emir of Ilorin.
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by lawani: 2:29pm On Apr 29, 2016
GorkoSusaay:

I have told you that Gyanawa denotes descent from a common ancestor. All the Gyanawa descend from Muhammad Gyano [i.e. Gyanawa= sons of Gyano] who was himself a Jallubawa, the eldest of the four initial Fulani clans. You cannot be more Fulani than that.

Now, I'm tired arguing with you. Stop mentioning me please.
Believe what you will. Aminu Kano is Hausa, Murtala Mohamed is from Auchi and whatever.
Fare you well Lawani and Long live the Emir of Ilorin.

A town founded before Islam became popular can not be descended from a Muhammad Gyano. I now can see that you do not really know what you are saying or are you saying the name was changed?
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by GorkoSusaay: 2:43pm On Apr 29, 2016
lawani:

A town founded before Islam became popular can not be descended from a Muhammad Gyano. I now can see that you do not really know what you are saying or are you saying the name was changed?
Let me repeat it:
GYANAWA IS NOT A SETTLEMENT. IT IS NOT THE NAME OF A WARD, OR A TOWN. GYANAWA DENOTES DESCENT FROM MUHAMMAD GYANO, WHO HIMSELF WAS A FULANI MAN OF THE JALLUBAWA CLAN.

Aminu Kano was a Fulani but that has never mattered for him. He did not fight for the Fulani, or for another specific ethnicity. He fought for justice, equity and freedom. He was a known bridge-builder through his alliances with Awolowo and Zikists.
Had he wanted a comfy life, as the son of one of the leading patrician families of Kano, he would have had it. But he never wanted it.

1 Like

Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by lawani: 3:07pm On Apr 29, 2016
GorkoSusaay:

Let me repeat it:
GYANAWA IS NOT A SETTLEMENT. IT IS NOT THE NAME OF A WARD, OR A TOWN. GYANAWA DENOTES DESCENT FROM MUHAMMAD GYANO, WHO HIMSELF WAS A FULANI MAN OF THE JALLUBAWA CLAN.

Aminu Kano was a Fulani but that has never mattered for him. He did not fight for the Fulani, or for another specific ethnicity. He fought for justice, equity and freedom. He was a known bridge-builder through his alliances with Awolowo and Zikists.
Had he wanted a comfy life, as the son of one of the leading patrician families of Kano, he would have had it. But he never wanted it.

There is a Gyanawa book written by a Fula tracing the descent back to the 17th century, a full 200 years before the Fulani jihad but that is a Fulani narrative. You said the Gyanawa fought alongside the reformers and etc and among he Gyanawa would be slaves or commoners who identify as Gyanawa, so it may just mean follower and not descended from. Then there are people who claim to be Fulani but are not, also some who are not but Fulanis are trying to claim them because of their success.

Aminu Kano fought against the Fulani establishment throughout, he might be Fulani but the only way I can accept he is Fulani is if his living relatives say he is one. I wont accept it from a book written by a Fulani.

http://www.worldcat.org/title/history-and-geneology-sic-of-the-gyanawa-1000-ah-to-date/oclc/28242831/editions?referer=di&editionsView=true

Then I urge you to support the installation of an Oba in Ilorin since it was a Yoruba man who put the city under British protection in person of Balogun Ajikobi descendant of Alaafin Abiodun, after the death by suicide of Oba Moma because his Baloguns frustrated his move to ally with Ibadan and Britain, something they later did. Oba Moma was of Afonja family. Afonja was also from Oyo royal family. I urge you to support them to recover their status since the Emir of Ilorin is not even a Fulani man. Emir Sulu Gambari is a Yoruba of Hausa descent. So the Fulani should support the Yoruba in Ilorin to produce a real Oba with crown and not a turban. Any help they want to render to Hausas should not be via Ilorin. There are many other ways Fulanis can help Hausas. i believe you will be in full support of the restoration of the Afonja and Ajikobi to be rotating the Olu of Ilorin title between them and god will reward you.

1 Like

Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by Baaballiyo(m): 7:48pm On Apr 29, 2016
lawani:

There is a Gyanawa book written by a Fula tracing the descent back to the 17th century, a full 200 years before the Fulani jihad but that is a Fulani narrative. You said the Gyanawa fought alongside the reformers and etc and among he Gyanawa would be slaves or commoners who identify as Gyanawa, so it may just mean follower and not descended from. Then there are people who claim to be Fulani but are not, also some who are not but Fulanis are trying to claim them because of their success.

Aminu Kano fought against the Fulani establishment throughout, he might be Fulani but the only way I can accept he is Fulani is if his living relatives say he is one. I wont accept it from a book written by a Fulani.

http://www.worldcat.org/title/history-and-geneology-sic-of-the-gyanawa-1000-ah-to-date/oclc/28242831/editions?referer=di&editionsView=true

Then I urge you to support the installation of an Oba in Ilorin since it was a Yoruba man who put the city under British protection in person of Balogun Ajikobi descendant of Alaafin Abiodun, after the death by suicide of Oba Moma because his Baloguns frustrated his move to ally with Ibadan and Britain, something they later did. Oba Moma was of Afonja family. Afonja was also from Oyo royal family. I urge you to support them to recover their status since the Emir of Ilorin is not even a Fulani man. Emir Sulu Gambari is a Yoruba of Hausa descent. So the Fulani should support the Yoruba in Ilorin to produce a real Oba with crown and not a turban. Any help they want to render to Hausas should not be via Ilorin. There are many other ways Fulanis can help Hausas. i believe you will be in full support of the restoration of the Afonja and Ajikobi to be rotating the Olu of Ilorin title between them and god will reward you.

I appreciate ur lack of knowledge or may be lack of understanding of Fulani clans and the Fulani history at large. So I can't indulge in any further argument as my brother Gorkosusaay has enlightened you enough. But know that

* The book you are referring to ( The History and Genealogy of Gyanawa) was written by the Cousin of Murtala Ramat and Aminu Kano, who is presently among the representatives of the Gyanawa Clan in the Kano Emirate Council as " Dan-goruban Kano, Hakimin (duke of) Tarauni". So you can't repute him.

About Mallam Aminu Kano, he is but the Prodigal son of the Fulani ( If you Understand what that means) just like what Samuel Ladoke Akintola is to the Yoruba race, when he went into coalition with the Northern NPC (Northern People Congress) Or as Afonja was to the Kingdom of Oyo when he joined the fulani course through Malam Alimi to bring the fall of the Alafin.

As for you asking for the support of installing a Yoruba Oba in Ilorin; know that, what was taken by the sword can only be retrieve by the sword and now the time of swords is but gone, so just be happy that the British came in time to be abled to stop the capture Oyo by the Fulani, but for their timely intervention today the Alafin would have been of Fulani descent.

1 Like

Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by lawani: 8:21pm On Apr 29, 2016
[quote author=Baaballiyo post=45162133][/quote]

That is an insult to the Yoruba. The Fulani are minions to the Yoruba and if not for the Kiriji war, Hausa land would have been liberated by the Yoruba, the Ibadan for instance were adopting everybody, every human being, while Ibadan and Ijebu were bitter rivals, an Ijebu man became the Olubadan, the Soun of Ogbomosho is patrilineally of Bariba descent and etc. The Yoruba style is different and if not for lack of unity back then, we would have liberated the Hausas. We had a better fighting force and connections with Europeans, it would have been a walkover. The Fulani are nowhere to be found in comparison to the Yoruba. I am shocked that you are making the comparison. Total Fulani in Nigeria can not be more than 5 to 10 million. Very sad that you will compare them to Yoruba. Really sad.

Let me tell you again, so that you will remember, the last real King of Ilorin was Oba Moma who died in 1895 an Afonja descendant. The person who put Ilorin under Britain was Balogun Ajikobi a son of Alaafin Abiodun. No Bariba land was under Fulani in Niger and Kwara. Not all Nupe fell under the Fulani. Only some North of the River Niger. So you can not even conquer the Bariba in Niger state and you are saying the Alaafin farther South would have been Fulani? When even Ilorin was not under Fulani nor Jebba in Niger state?

You are living in la la land my brother. Anybody claiming Fulani supremacy will not amount to anything in Bariba, Yoruba and etc. We have no Fulani in Ilorin. Not one single family but there are some families with some patrilineal Fulani ancestry but they are now Oyos.

So be clear, Jebba in Kwara and Niger have Obas full fledged Obas and the Jebba in Kwara is 100 km North of Ilorin. Then Sulu Gambari is patrilineally of Hausa descent. Not Fulani. Gambari in Yoruba means Hausa, not Fulani but the Olu of Ilorin title will be shifted to the Ajikobi and Afonja families soon because that is the fair thing to do.

3 Likes

Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by lawani: 8:38pm On Apr 29, 2016
What year did the Fulani take Ilorin? In which battle? Who led them? When did Afonja go into alliance with any Fulani? A mere Islamic cleric cum Onion seller is what you call a power broker that a whole Aare ona Kakanfo will go into an alliance with? Alimi was serving Afonja, he was not in alliance with him. He was his servant and Alimi never was Oba or Emir in Ilorin, Afonja descendants say he died before Afonja. It was his son that led Ilorin jihadists for some years, his son Abdulsalam but he was a mere Balogun, I believe not an Oba. Read your history very well. No Fulani, Hausa or Nupe army ever occupied Ilorin at any point in the history of Ilorin. Afonja was killed by renegade Yoruba Muslims. Dont come here to be spreading false tales.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by GorkoSusaay: 8:50pm On Apr 29, 2016
lawani:
What year did the Fulani take Ilorin? In which battle? Who led them? When did Afonja go into alliance with any Fulani? A mere Islamic cleric cum Onion seller is what you call a power broker that a whole Aare ona Kakanfo will go into an alliance with? Alimi was serving Afonja, he was not in alliance with him. He was his servant and Alimi never was Oba or Emir in Ilorin, Afonja descendants say he died before Afonja. It was his son that led Ilorin jihadists for some years, his son Abdulsalam but he was a mere Balogun, I believe not an Oba. Read your history very well. No Fulani, Hausa or Nupe army ever occupied Ilorin at any point in the history of Ilorin. Afonja was killed by renegade Yoruba Muslims. Dont come here to be spreading false tales.

You, obviously, have a problem with the historical truth.
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by Nobody: 9:37pm On Apr 29, 2016
lawani:

Indulging your stupidity means accepting islam became popular in Hausaland after the Fulani Jihad eh? Clueless! I have never seen a person blindly arguing about something he knows nothing about more than you.
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by Nobody: 9:39pm On Apr 29, 2016
lawani:

Talakawa is another name for the Hausa masses which contains poor Fulani as well. The town Fulani are afterall indistinguishable from the Hausa and the majority are poor people or talakawa. They are part of the Hausa masses. In Yoruba, it is called Mekunnu. I am not saying he can not be Fulani, I am saying you should provide proof. I am saying this because he was against the Fulani establishment throughout his political career. It was because of him that the UPN won in Kano

You do know that talaka is just the hausa word for poor right? Even a poor Yoruba ma. Would be called talaka, so what's your point? Who is feeding you with this nonsense or are you just coming up with them?
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by Baaballiyo(m): 9:45pm On Apr 29, 2016
lawani:

That is an insult to the Yoruba. The Fulani are minions to the Yoruba and if not for the Kiriji war, Hausa land would have been liberated by the Yoruba, the Ibadan for instance were adopting everybody, every human being, while Ibadan and Ijebu were bitter rivals, an Ijebu man became the Olubadan, the Soun of Ogbomosho is patrilineally of Bariba descent and etc. The Yoruba style is different and if not for lack of unity back then, we would have liberated the Hausas. We had a better fighting force and connections with Europeans, it would have been a walkover. The Fulani are nowhere to be found in comparison to the Yoruba. I am shocked that you are making the comparison. Total Fulani in Nigeria can not be more than 5 to 10 million. Very sad that you will compare them to Yoruba. Really sad.

Let me tell you again, so that you will remember, the last real King of Ilorin was Oba Moma who died in 1895 an Afonja descendant. The person who put Ilorin under Britain was Balogun Ajikobi a son of Alaafin Abiodun. No Bariba land was under Fulani in Niger and Kwara. Not all Nupe fell under the Fulani. Only some North of the River Niger. So you can not even conquer the Bariba in Niger state and you are saying the Alaafin farther South would have been Fulani? When even Ilorin was not under Fulani nor Jebba in Niger state?

You are living in la la land my brother. Anybody claiming Fulani supremacy will not amount to anything in Bariba, Yoruba and etc. We have no Fulani in Ilorin. Not one single family but there are some families with some patrilineal Fulani ancestry but they are now Oyos.

So be clear, Jebba in Kwara and Niger have Obas full fledged Obas and the Jebba in Kwara is 100 km North of Ilorin. Then Sulu Gambari is patrilineally of Hausa descent. Not Fulani. Gambari in Yoruba means Hausa, not Fulani but the Olu of Ilorin title will be shifted to the Ajikobi and Afonja families soon because that is the fair thing to do.

* No one is talking about numbers, when a Fulani go to war in those days numbers donot matter to him. Yes they are small in number yet they carved out an Emirate out of old Oyo that still survive to date.

* No body is talking about supremacy, the Fulanis were not out to imposed themselves over others, they were out to spread the words of Islam.

* As for your saying that sulu Gambari is of Hausa not Fulani descent here is the list of Ilorin Emirs.

Rulers of the Ilorin Emirate

Abdusalami dan Salih Alimi (1824-1842)

Shita dan Salih Alimi (1842 1860)

Zubayro dan Abdusalami (1860-1868)

Shita Aliyu dan Shita (1868-1891)

Moma dan Zubayru (1891-1896)

Sulaymanu dan c (1896-1914)

Shuaybu Bawa dan Zubayru(1915-1919)

Abdulkadir dan Shuaybu Bawa (1920-1959)

Zulkarnayni Gambari dan Muhammadu Laofe Dan Bawa (1959-1991)

Malam Aliyu dan Abdulkadir (1992-1994)

Ibrahim Kolapo dan Gambari (1995- to date)

It's left for you to digest.

As for ur saying Gambari means "Hausa" in Yoruba dats just a name. Just because your name is Benjamin does dat make you a Jew ?
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by Baaballiyo(m): 9:48pm On Apr 29, 2016
lawani:

* No one is talking about numbers, when a Fulani go to war in those days numbers donot matter to him. Yes they are small in number yet they carved out an Emirate out of old Oyo that still survive to date.

* No body is talking about supremacy, the Fulanis were not out to imposed themselves over others, they were out to spread the words of Islam.

* As for your saying that sulu Gambari is of Hausa not Fulani descent here is the list of Ilorin Emirs.

As for ur saying Gambari means "Hausa" in Yoruba dats just a name. Just because your name is Benjamin does dat make you a Jew ?
Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by Nobody: 9:51pm On Apr 29, 2016
Baaballiyo:

And I don't even think gambari is a Yoruba word as it's used even outside Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Hausa Man Must Be Emir by Baaballiyo(m): 9:57pm On Apr 29, 2016
lawani:

Here is an excerpt from a book written by a former colonial resident officer. If read carefully you will get ur aanswers from an European who is an outsider to us all. may be you will agree with him.

It will be remembered that when Mallam Dendo, the leader of the jihad in Nupe, had been driven out of Raba it was in Ilorin that he had taken refuge, probably because Afonja by this time had already come under the influence of another Fulani teacher, Mallam Alimi . Be that as it may, the insight that Afonja then gained into the fighting qualities of the Fulani seems to have given him the idea of using them himself to further the designs which he was already harbouring.
From his close association with
Mallam Alimi we can assume that by this time Afonja had already become a convert to Islam 26 . This in itself would be enough to weaken his loyalty to the Alafin of Oyo who still worshipped other gods. In addition he was an ambitious man who chafed at his vassal status and was eager to become a Chief in his own right. We know at any rate that, soon after Afonja had helped the Nupe Fulani to repel their pursuers, he made a compact with Mallam Alimi for the recruitment from the north of Fulani and Hausa volunteers 27 . He no doubt persuaded Mallam Alimi to believe that his aims were to declare a jihad and establish a Moslem Emirate in Ilorin which would owe allegiance to Gwandu and Sokoto, but it seems likely that he was in fact playing a deeper game.
Whether Mallam Alimi had any doubts about Afonja's real motives we do not know, but there was no question about the success of his recruiting, for he attracted to Ilorin large numbers of Fulani and Hausa volunteers. By 1817, the year of
Shehu's death, Afonja felt himself to be ready. He therefore threw off his allegiance to the Alafin and declared Ilorin to be independent of Oyo. The Alafin immediately reacted by sending a punitive expedition against him, but, with the help of his Moslem allies, Afonja defeated it and drove it back 28 .
The rebellion of Afonja in Ilorin was the signal for other vassals to throw off their allegiance and the rickety Empire of Oyo began to break up. By 1821 the Alafin had lost most of his temporal authority outside metropolitan Oyo and was no longer strong enough to bring Ilorin or the other rebels to heel. In Yoruba history this was a development of the greatest significance, for the removal of Oyo's authority was to lead to seventy years of civil war.
In Ilorin Afonja kept on good terms with his Fulani and Hausa allies for just as long as Oyo remained a suzerain to be feared. When Oyo's power collapsed, however, and the threat of conquest was removed, he soon fell out with them. There are two conflicting versions of how this came about. According to the first, the Fulani and Hausas recruited by Mallam Alimi, who were known as the jama'a as the early reformers had been, got out of hand after their victory and started plundering friendly towns and villages 29 . But according to the second, the fault lay on the other side and it was the Yorubas who, as soon as the threat from Oyo had been removed, tried to deny their allies the fruits of victory and drive them out of the kingdom which they had helped to create 30 .
There is probably truth in both these accounts. Among the Fulani and Hausa volunteers there must have been many adventurers and soldiers of fortune and it would not be surprising if they were guilty of some looting and pillage. On the other hand, Afonja's ruling motive seems to have been personal ambition rather than devotion to Islam and it would have been in character if, when the Fulani and Hausas had served their purpose, he had tried to get rid of them.
Mallam Alimi himself was a soldier and teacher whose aims were religious rather than political. While he lived he did his best to keep his followers under control and his restraining influence on them, combined with the modesty of his personal aims, seems to have prevented an open breach. When he died in 1831, however, he was succeeded as leader of the Moslem group by his son, Abdu Salami dan Alimi, who was a man of much greater worldly ambition 31 .
The succession of Abdu Salami at once precipitated the crisis which had long been developing in Ilorin.
Afonja no doubt knew what sort of a man he would now have to deal with and made up his mind to attack the Fulani and Hausa immigrants and drive them out of the kingdom altogether. To that end he secretly enlisted the support of neighbouring Yoruba towns. They failed to provide the help on which he was counting, however, and the result was that, when he struck, Abdu Salami was able to turn the tables on him.
Afonja was killed in the fighting which followed and the Yoruba cause collapsed 32 .
By this victory Abdu Salami made himself master of Ilorin. Like his father before him, he had always looked to Gwandu for leadership and protection. In return he was now presented with a flag and invested with the rank and regalia of an Emir. The Emirate of florin thus came into being in 1831 as part of the Dual Empire.
Abdu Salami did not rest content with the modest domain which he had wrested from Afonja but at once set about enlarging it by making war on his neighbours. He was generally successful and, though unable to hold all his gains, won many notable victories against the crumbling power of Oyo and its warring satellites 33 .
The reverses which he suffered at
Abdu Salami 's hands at length stirred the Alafin to action and he determined to make a supreme effort to crush what he still regarded as the rebellion in Ilorin. To this end he not only summoned to arms his subjects and such vassals as were still loyal but also enlisted the aid of the neighbouring people of Borgu, who had shown in the past that they were capable of withstanding the Fulani. In Ilorin,
Abdu Salami got wind of these moves and appealed to Gwandu for help. Halilu, who in 1835 had succeeded his brother as Emir, responded by obtaining reinforcements from Sokoto and dispatching a strong combined force to Abdu Salami 's assistance 34 .
In the struggle which followed, the Yorubas and their Borgu allies won some early successes. They were gradually forced back, however, and the decisive battle took place near the capital, Old Oyo, in 1837. Its result was an overwhelming victory for the Fulani. The city was captured, the Alafin killed, and the allied armies routed. The Borgawa fared no better than the Yorubas and lost their commander as well as the Chiefs of Kaiama and Wawa 35 .
With this defeat the ancient kingdom of Oyo, which had already lost its Empire, more or less disintegrated. The old capital was never rebuilt nor did the Alafins ever recover their paramountcy. Thereafter, Oyo was hardly more than one of the city-states into which Yorubaland now broke up.
Had the Fulani of the day been as bold and aggressive as those of a previous generation they would probably have gone on to subdue these city-states piecemeal and add them to the Empire. By this time, however, their ambitions were largely satisfied and the tide of their expansion was almost spent. The year 1837, moreover, was the one in which Sultan Bello died. They were therefore content to consolidate their power in Ilorin and did not attempt to exploit their victory by making further conquests.
One of the results of the defeat of Oyo and the flight of the Yorubas from the old capital was the founding of Ibadan. The city grew very rapidly in size and importance and for much of the rest of the century it was to be at war with Ilorin, barring the way to any further advance by the Fulani and counter-attacking them whenever the opportunity offered.
Considering what a small minority the Fulani were, the surprising fact was not so much that they let pass the opportunity of annexing the rest of Yorubaland to the Empire but that they managed to establish themselves in even a corner of it. No less surprising was the fact that they were afterwards able to maintain their position among a predominantly Yoruba population when they were all the time being subjected to heavy pressure from the great mass of the Yoruba people beyond their borders. This, however, is what they succeeded in doing. In the process they, too, acquired certain characteristics which distinguished them from their kinsmen in other parts of the Empire. But, as with the Nupe Fulani, their local colouring did not diminish either their devotion to Islam or their loyalty to Gwandu and through Gwandu to Sokoto.

Here is the name of the book and author if you care to cross check.

H.A.S. Johnston.
The Fulani Empire of Sokoto
London. Ibadan. Nairobi: Oxford University Press. 1967. 312 p.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Ayiri Emami Welcomes The Olu Of Warri To His Community - Photos / Niger, Chad Attack Boko Haram After IS Pledge Opens New Fronts -YAHOO NEWS / Osinbajo And Amosun Commission Procter Gamble Factory Agbara In Ogun (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 174
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.