Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,766 members, 7,851,615 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 12:57 AM

Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others (12388 Views)

Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others / Malian Jihadist Group Threatens To Attack Nigeria, Others / Ghana Plans To Sell Electricity To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by shesi(m): 8:49pm On Aug 05, 2009
The idea of buying electricity from Ghana repulses me to the core of my being. what is going on? Have our so called leaders forgotten the lessons history. generation 10,000 mega watts of electricity through nucear technology is not a crime when the right people are involved. United States contractors can have it up and running in no time at all because of their transparency. Nigeria leaders are very eloquent in their stupidity and can hardly wipe their ASS or find their ASS-HOLE without foreign help. It is a pity that Nigeria is even considering buying elctricity from Ghana a country so poor not too long ago that her people have to come to Nigeria to survive. ALL HAIL NIGERIA SHAMELESS LEADERS. By the way, I am an Electrical Engineer here in the United States and I believe a lot of my fellow Nigeria born U.S Engineers feel the same way. 

and therein lies the problem. IF you are too proud to ask for directions, you get lost all the time.

Even America is not proud to ask China for help when they are going through financial crisis. You are here talking about past. Long before Ghanaians were asked to leave Nigeria, Nigerians were sent packing from Ghana en mass by the Busia government in the 60s. I thought we were over all that nonsense. Times change. constantly.

If you drive looking back, you will constantly get into accidents. Look forward my friends, look forward.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by ModestSam(m): 9:18pm On Aug 05, 2009
emeka_gh:

The government said, they will do their best to provide 6,000 megawatt by the end of the year. Lets give them the benefit of the doubt. These things are not easy - visionary leadership or not - they take time.
Nigeria will be great again!

Trust is earned, and as the saying goes, " you fool me once, shame on you, come over here and do it again, shame on me".
This is the basis for the scepticism of the Nigerian populace on the government's promises.
1.    It's over 700 days, and we're still expecting the state of emergency promised before Yaradua's 100 days in office.  
2.    Ekiti elections and yaradua's promise on electoral reform.

need more reasons?
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by GeorgeD1(m): 9:25pm On Aug 05, 2009
this kind of showboating by ghana is most unfortunate. they know nigeria is reeling form the effect
of corruption in its power sector and they are sure rubbing it in. imagine a country producing just
2,000 mega watts of electricity planning to export same to a country producing 3,500 mega watts!
does that make sense?
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by nex(m): 10:16pm On Aug 05, 2009
@viclee009

the USA will not allow any of It's firms build a nuclear power plant in Africa that will function. They they have strong rules against divulging sensitive technology. In the same vein, any Chinese company that helps an African country develop nuclear or satellite technology will be blacklisted by the USA. But some of these Asian companies can deal with that.

Eskom from South Africa can handle that kind of contract without caring about a USA Government blacklist. They never seek any business in the USA in the first place. Then of course a firm working for the Chinese Government can come once in a while to evacuate the enriched nuclear material.

Like I said before, all those fearing for Nigeria's inability to handle nuclear reactors should realise that we've been running one for about half a decade now with no issues (the NIRR-1 in Kaduna).

The next thing to consider is deregulation. If NEPA or PHCN don't want to change, we can always licence other companies that would only need the backbone of NEPA, which is their powerlines and possibly the transformers.

I don't know what you all want to do, but on October 1, I'm sending a message to the civil servants I employed to do the job. LIGHT UP NIGERIA!
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by Kobojunkie: 10:21pm On Aug 05, 2009
Roflmao!!! grin cheesy cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by GeorgeD1(m): 11:32pm On Aug 05, 2009
light up without corruption first.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by nex(m): 12:27am On Aug 06, 2009
For now, I just wanna LIGHT UP NIGERIA.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by Gbawe: 8:26am On Aug 06, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Roflmao!!! grin cheesy cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin

what is actually funny is how you start an interesting thread , contribute nothing meaningful to your own thread , and then mischievously proceed to roflmao !!! Comical !!!!
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by nex(m): 8:40am On Aug 06, 2009
LIGHT UP NIGERIA jare.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by Gbawe: 8:50am On Aug 06, 2009
shesi:

and therein lies the problem. IF you are too proud to ask for directions, you get lost all the time.

Even America is not proud to ask China
for help when they are going through financial crisis. You are here talking about past. Long before Ghanaians were asked to leave Nigeria, Nigerians were sent packing from Ghana en mass by the Busia government in the 60s. I thought we were over all that nonsense. Times change. constantly.

If you drive looking back, you will constantly get into accidents. Look forward my friends, look forward.

The poster you responded to is wrong in arrogantly stating that "The idea of buying electricity from Ghana repulses me to the core of my being." but you are also wrong in thinking that this report is anything other than mischief-making from Ghanaians who are intent on humiliating Nigeria at a time it is low .

Will the USA ask for electricity from Guatemala ? I know a bit about the dynamics of energy generation and I can tell you that Ghana supplying Nigeria with electricity would be low on the scale of Generational sources that can come on board rapidly in ameliorating Nigeria's problems.

Do you know the number of IPP's (Independent power projects) in Nigeria the federal Government , because of ineptitude, vested interest and corruption , is letting lie fallow even as the contributions of these IPPs would be considerably substantial?

The power generation situation in Nigeria is complex but I can tell you that , should the sector be deregulated so that every state can generate and [b]distribute [/b]its own power , Nigeria can go on to generate enough of its own electricity plus sell surplus to others if Federal Government interference is removed entirely with full deregulation.

Africa yabbed us because we deregulated the telecom sector late. The word back then was that others , including Ghana,  will "teach us how to do it". After deregulation it is Nigeria that grew far exponentially greater than every telecom market (including South Africa) in Africa to become one of the fastest growing telecom market in the World.

Even after 'getting to the party late' a Nigerian (Mike Adenuga) has become so good at "teaching"  telecom services to Africa to the extent that his company (Globacom) is the fastest growing in Africa , with presence in a few African nations , challenging long established entities like South African owned MTN !!!! Is that not a great achievement in a short period of time in testimony to how Nigerians can be ultra innovative if the meddlesome hands of the FG is removed from important issues?

Let us chill with the wild speculations bordered on mischief. If the[b] political will[/b] is present , Nigeria will generate enough electricity for its own use and perhaps for others also.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by konami001: 9:15am On Aug 06, 2009
Lets keep using generators and kill off planet earth fast!
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by GeorgeD1(m): 10:45am On Aug 06, 2009
generators? maybe solar powered, hey? grin
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by shesi(m): 11:02am On Aug 06, 2009
The poster you responded to is wrong in arrogantly stating that "The idea of buying electricity from Ghana repulses me to the core of my being." but you are also wrong in thinking that this report is anything other than mischief-making from Ghanaians who are intent on humiliating Nigeria at a time it is low .

Will the USA ask for electricity from Guatemala ? I know a bit about the dynamics of energy generation and I can tell you that Ghana supplying Nigeria with electricity would be low on the scale of Generational sources that can come on board rapidly in ameliorating Nigeria's problems.

Do you know the number of IPP's (Independent power projects) in Nigeria the federal Government , because of ineptitude, vested interest and corruption , is letting lie fallow even as the contributions of these IPPs would be considerably substantial?

The power generation situation in Nigeria is complex but I can tell you that , should the sector be deregulated so that every state can generate and distribute its own power , Nigeria can go on to generate enough of its own electricity plus sell surplus to others if Federal Government interference is removed entirely with full deregulation.

Africa yabbed us because we deregulated the telecom sector late. The word back then was that others , including Ghana, will "teach us how to do it". After deregulation it is Nigeria that grew far exponentially greater than every telecom market (including South Africa) in Africa to become one of the fastest growing telecom market in the World.

Even after 'getting to the party late' a Nigerian (Mike Adenuga) has become so good at "teaching" telecom services to Africa to the extent that his company (Globacom) is the fastest growing in Africa , with presence in a few African nations , challenging long established entities like South African owned MTN !!!! Is that not a great achievement in a short period of time in testimony to how Nigerians can be ultra innovative if the meddlesome hands of the FG is removed from important issues?

Let us chill with the wild speculations bordered on mischief. If the political will is present , Nigeria will generate enough electricity for its own use and perhaps for others also.

Listen my guy, you are screaming from your own dream. wake up. it's all in your head. what part of what the minister or whoever is alleged to have said indicates any intention to rub it in??

do you see this report on any ghanaian website? i can tell you the answer is NO. is it a ghanaian that wrote this thread? is it a ghanaian that put it on the frontpage of nairaland? so how do you accuse us of trying to kick nigeria when it's down?

ghana wants to export elecricity. to nigeria and OTHERS. did you miss the part about "and OTHERS" we already export power to CIV, Togo, and Burkina. What is wrong with making plans to generate more income from selling more power? Doesn't nigeria export Fruits and other foods? Is everybody in nigeria fully fed?

And you mention deregualation. Isn't thatwhat the minister is quoted as trying to say in the first place? Did you not read the part where he said Nigeria's power problems will be over if the industry is deregulated? Does that sound like someone trying to rub it in? btw, ghana's power industry is not deregulated. just fyi.

Take a chill pill. Nobody in Ghana wakes up thinking, how can we humiliate the nigerians today.

and anyway, i notice you never pass a chance to belittle Ghana. You mentioned a US and guatemala analogy. So nigeria is the US and Ghana the guatemala abi? and you are accusing someone of being petty.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by shesi(m): 11:09am On Aug 06, 2009
and btw Gbawe,

i saw you mentioning on another thread that Globacom is taking 3G to Ghana.

Where do you get these statements from? GT, now Vodaphone, already did that. Who told you Globacom is even a player in the Ghanaian market? I never heard of Globacom the last time i was in Ghana so i dont know what you're talking about.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by sherrylo: 11:41am On Aug 06, 2009
@ Gbawe Globacom is a major player in Ghana that even sponsored your local league by giving them 3million US dollars last year! Though they are yet to begin operation in full

Ghana please people in Kobrisu and Akanteen in the eastern region needs electricity ooo! they don't even have poles let alone wire.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by sherrylo: 11:42am On Aug 06, 2009
@Gbawe sweetie please that was meant for Shesi.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by dfanthom(m): 12:01pm On Aug 06, 2009
abeg if Ghana can provide us with some electricity while we awake freom our deep slumber then it'd be gr8ly appreciated. who said naija-ghana is akin to us-guatemala; that person better wake up from a deep slumber too. after all, they are selling & making income! that's what has been killing naija ever since. its leaders hve been behaving like dog with grass. they don't eat it, they dont let the herbivores eat it too by paying lip service to practically everything under the sun.

abeg, my ghanaian brothers, do the needful & fast too. Africa needs a subsaharan pacesetter & if naija doesn't want to lead, then whosoever is ready & the cap fits should forge ahead!!!
grin
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by nex(m): 12:07pm On Aug 06, 2009
@sherry lo

in a world full of lies and deceit, it is refreshing to know there are truthful people like you.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by londoner: 12:31pm On Aug 06, 2009
If the Ghanaian gov plans to export electricity to Nigeria and by the time they can, Nigerian government still does not have its act together. Well they should graciously accept. If you are in need of something long enough you dont actually care who ends up giving it to you.

I did hear that over 75% of works on energy plants planned in Naija for the end of the year have been completed. we just have to wait and see, then act on what does or does not transpire.

At the end of the day Ghana will gain and so will Nigeria, because business will now look towards Nigeria if the electricity problem is no longer an obstacle.

It will also be a shame, because Nigeria has all the means to do it herself, but has failed to do so.

I still reckon we will do it ourselves for the most part, what we do need is for those who handle Ghana's/South Africa's/kenya etc energy sector to mentor those in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by Gbawe: 1:52pm On Aug 06, 2009
shesi:

and anyway, i notice you never pass a chance to belittle Ghana. You mentioned a US and guatemala analogy. So nigeria is the US and Ghana the guatemala abi?  and you are accusing someone of being petty.

My friend you are seeing what is not there because of your own complexes . Have you heard of vision 2020? Even if misgovernance will not allow it to materialise , Vision 2020 is the plan by the Nigerian FG to become one of the top 20 economies of the World by 2020 !!!! to achieve this,  massive industrialisation and electrification will be required . As someone mentioned already , around 50 -70,000 MW is what will be required. The requirement of Nigeria in comparison to what Ghana can produce is what drew out the USA and Guatemala analogy. Read what you want into it .

I have told you already that there are IPP's on ground . It is the FG , for one reason or the other , sabotaging these IPPs.  Does it then make sense to you that the Nigerian Senate will ratify its nation buying electricity from outside its border while its own IPPs are ignored ? Believe me when I say you don't know or understand Nigeria and the political expediency impeding national progress . If Nigeria gains a President today with the Political will to improve our situation , IPPs can come on tomorrow that will drastically improve the electrification in some States instead of the wait to buy from a source outside the country that may not be ready to sell in 2-4 years because of  the attendant issues of expensive  and time-consuming transmission over distance. Ask folks on this forum and they will confirm how our Inept President is trying to impede the progress and Popularity of the best performing politician in Nigeria in testimony to how self-destructive our politics currently is .

Some folks , if they have time, can explain to you why a PDP Federal Government will be loathe to allow AC-controlled Lagos to gain constant electricity through use of its own IPPs.

I dont have time to be explaining the complexites of the Nigerian power sector but I know it well enough to tell you that a lot of things could come on board to improve power supply faster than importation from Ghana.Read the report below that dates back to a decade ago:

http://www.ugandaruralcommunitysupport.org/2000/01/19/vested-interests-undermine-the-lagos-states-independent-power-project-ipp-19-january-2000/

Vested interests undermine the Lagos State’s Independent Power Project (IPP) - - 19 January 2000

Governor Bola Ahmed Tinubu should have been happy at the arrival of
some barges of electricity generating equipment at the Apapa Ports.

The equipment were shipped into Nigeria by Enron, a multi-national utility
giant contracted by the Lagos State government to help it actualise its dream
to provide regular power supply for residents in the state. But on 11 January
when he visited the Julius Berger Jetty at Apapa to inspect the goods, Tinubu
was visibly angry.

“Well, we have done our part. There is an agreement on the ground and the
National Electric Power Authority (NEPA), with some characters in Abuja, are
bent on frustrating the system. It is unfortunate,” he told the gathering which
included Mr. Ayrelio Sumanilog, Enson’s operations and maintenance engineer.

The statement clearly underlined the sad twist to the noble scheme. Going by
Tinubu’s outburst last Tuesday, the scheme may be sabotaged by forces beyond
his control
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by Gbawe: 2:06pm On Aug 06, 2009
shesi:

and btw Gbawe,

i saw you mentioning on another thread that Globacom is taking 3G to Ghana.

Where do you get these statements from?  GT, now Vodaphone, already did that. Who told you Globacom is even a player in the Ghanaian market? I never heard of Globacom the last time i was in Ghana so i dont know what you're talking about.

Perhaps you should read some more from time to time . Below it is clear that I am factually correct that Globacom was taking 3G to Ghana because non of your operators (all non-Ghanaian) on ground had or had even applied for a 3G licence when Globacom gained it !!! If indeed they now do what will any intelligent person assume hastened their decision to provide for Ghanaians what these operators were previously not in a hurry to?

Considering that , ahead of Globacom, Several operators were on ground already why did they not  provide 3G for Ghanaians until an Operator , already providing 3G in Nigeria , gained a 3G license , as a 'statement of intent' , before all of them ?  You may not want to give Nigerians or Nigeria props for anything but that is your own wahala .

http://www.itnewsafrica.com/?p=608

The Ghanaian telecommunications regulator, the National Communication Authority has confirmed awarding Nigeria’s second biggest mobile operator, Globacom, a licence to operate a 3G mobile network in the country. Glo Mobile Ghana paid USD 50.1 million for the licence and becomes the sixth mobile network operator in Ghana. In awarding the licence, the NCA took into consideration that Globacom would be using 3G mobile technology.

A NCA statement said in the award process, the authority reviewed 11 applicants. Globacom said in its application it intended to initially invest USD 200 million on the network. Ghana currently has five mobile operators but none operates on a 3G network. They use either 2G (GSM) or 2.5G
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by manuel(m): 2:22pm On Aug 06, 2009
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by Gbawe: 2:39pm On Aug 06, 2009
manuel:

www.myjoyonline.com  wink

"The Ghana Health Service (GHS) has confirmed to Joy News it has detected a case of swine flu in the capital. "

Sorry to be a killjoy but it is only a matter of time before Nigeria records its first case of swine flu assuming that has not actually happened already . In any case Swine flu is , for the most part , a moderately mild type of Influeza most healthy individuals recover from completely .
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by Ojumiii(m): 4:26pm On Aug 06, 2009
*[color=#006600]*shakes head in dissapointment**

why do our nigerian brothers hate us soo much. Even when we're trying to help, they are hating on us. Instead of asking how far we are with the plans, see most of you saying 'how the hell are they going to do that' err, same way we supply power to Cote D'ivoire, Burkina, and Togo perhaps?

Frist of all, Ghana has the capactiy to generate more than 2000MW fyi. Infact, we currently generate around 5000MW but can only keep around around 2500 for ouselves because of contractual arragements with CIV, Burkina, and Togo to supply some power to them. Keep in mind that peak power demand is never 1300. that's ridiculous. There are places in Ghana without adequate power supply. So why would we stop seeking extra power? Besides, ours is an economy on the rise and we foresee an increase in power demand in the future.

That is why we are building a new hydro-electric dam. almost finished. And that is why we signed to the West African gas pipeline project. Eventhough your new government has suddenly decided to play dodgeball and not honor a contract signed by your previous government. But thank God we've found our own gas.

The Nuclear power plant was originally a nigerian government idea. It was the Obsanjo government who lobbied the americans for help to start a nuclear plant to address nigeria's power problems. The Americans refused, saying that they were not prepared to allow a nuclear project on nigerian soil even for civilian purposes. They said the power(political) structure in nigeria was volatile.

Obasanjo then sought to convince Kufuor to allow him (obasanjo) to build a nuclear plant in ghana for nigeria, because the americans were OK with that. Kufuor said he wasn't prepared to allow a nuclear facility belonging to another country on ghanaian soil so Obasanjo should rather give him the money as a loan to build the facility for Ghana and that since ghana would not need all that power, the rest than be sent to nigeria. This is how the whole thing started. Obasanjo left power not too long after. I don't know how far they are because Kufuor also left power and out went my source of info too.

I would have thought the nigerian response would be "when can you have it ready for us", instead see what i'm reading. Ok, if we are able to finish building the nuclear power plant and you don't want it, no problem. i'm sure Cote D'ivoire wouldn't mind the extra power.

Mind you, neither country has the know-how or technology to embark on the mission solo without any western help. And neither country would be willing to go against the US anyway.
[/color]
Thanks bro, those my Nigerian brothers, They just love their country and they hope that, with all there natural gift both in human and nature,
things works better and i can also assure you that we love Ghanians  (my mum she is a Ghanian ang more than 30% of people in my town are Ghanian) We love Ghanians, more than you know.
[img][/img]
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by bettes(f): 4:36pm On Aug 06, 2009
It really doesn't matter if we import eletricity from togo or cotonou,the eletricity problem all over the country is soo bad that nigerians actually celebrate when they see electricity,i really dont see the big deal in Ghana supplying us.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by Fhemmmy: 6:15pm On Aug 06, 2009
bettes:

It really doesn't matter if we import eletricity from togo or cotonou,the eletricity problem all over the country is soo bad that nigerians actually celebrate when they see electricity,i really dont see the big deal in Ghana supplying us.

Inasmuch as you have a point, however, the point here is that, Nigeria ought to be supply the world with electricity, but our selfish rogues called Leader has made us a victim of importation of Light.
But like u said, Let there be light is all that matters, even if na Togo wanna give us light, we just want the light, so that we can do what need to do to move the nation forward
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by GeorgeD1(m): 8:35pm On Aug 06, 2009
looks like that country is full of empty boasters! grin
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by Fhemmmy: 8:45pm On Aug 06, 2009
George_D:

looks like that country is full of empty boasters! grin

Which country, Nigeria or ghana?
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by Gbawe: 10:25pm On Aug 06, 2009
bettes:

No big deal at all and at this stage  it would be foolhardy to refuse power from Iraq but we have to seperate facts from mischievous fiction .

Below , in testimony to how we do not truly know what is happening in the homes of others , is a May 2007 Ghanaian report about the true state of Power supply in Ghana that led the then President to demand Power supply from Nigeria;

http://ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=123636

CJA On The Worsening Electricity Crisis

The NPP government, instead of telling Ghanaians about the gravity of the electric power crisis and the time it would take to solve the problem, has been engaged in strenuous efforts to deceive Ghanaians that all will be well within months.

First the President himself looked Ghanaians in the face and told us on February 8th 2007 that within a fortnight Nigeria would supply Ghana with 200 MW of power to help resolve our power crisis. The fortnight has turned into 11 weeks and no power has been received from Nigeria. Even if Nigeria had power to supply the government ought to have realised that there is no interconnectivity between Ghana and Nigeria.

The NPP government in its state of confusion and desperation attempted to deceive, confuse and create the impression to Ghanaians that to solve the immediate, very short term electricity crisis, the solution lay in long gestation period projects.

The Bui dam, a project which would take 7 years from day one of construction to day of delivering [/b]any power at all is being presented as a solution to the current crisis.

[b]The Nuclear Power Project which would take 10 years before it delivers any power is also being presented as the solution to the current crisis.

Today , despite the fact that there is no substantial addition to Ghana's power generation ability , we should now accept a vague pledge that Ghana will be a "Major exporter" to Nigeria when the technical details are unavailable as to how this feat will be achieved given what is actually on ground ?

It is also surprising that A Ghanaian source ,Ghanabusinessnews.com , is the only news source that departs from mature language in stating that "Ghana schools Nigeria on how to keep the lights on" when the pledge to be a "major exporter" to Nigeria is actually lacking in technical and feasibility details .

http://ghanabusinessnews.com/2009/07/31/ghana-schools-nigeria-on-how-to-keep-the-lights-on/

The same Minister  that makes the claim , during the same speech , simultaneously admits that Ghana is importing Flourescent bulbs to stave off Power outage by reducing 200-220 MW from the grid when reducing Wattage should not be a consideration for a nation that is planning to be a "major supplier" of power to others !!

“Even, in the Ministry of Energy, we have had cause to have power outages when our account department is yet to pay for the prepaid meters,” he said.

His words: “As part of the efforts at mitigating the impact of the recent power crisis in Ghana, the Ministry of Energy, in August 2007, launched the National Compact Fluorescent Exchange Programme, which was intended to reduce the national electricity demand by 200-220 MW.He added that: “A total of about 6 million compact Fluorescent Lights were imported into the country by Government and distributed to government institutions and households free of charge.

The Minister also states that Ghana will increase it supply from 2000 MW to 5000 MW by 2015 !!! 6 years to generate 3000 MW for a country that plans to be a "Major exporter" to Nigeria !!!

"According to the Ghanaian minister, "in line with our government's overall vision of reducing poverty and becoming a middle-income country in the near future, the government of Ghana has committed itself to increasing the current installed power generation capacity of about 2, 000 MW to 5, 000 MW in the medium-term (by 2015)."

The Minister states further that: "Ghana, he said, is advancing its nuclear for electricity project" to the Nigerians to shore up his claim that they will become a "Major exporter" when Professor Edward Akaho, Director General of the Ghana Atomic Energy Commission (GAEC), seems to pour cold water on the idea that Nuclear Energy is close to being utilised in Ghana when he stated in Oct 2008 :

http://news.thinkghana.com/science/200810/23344.php

Professor Edward Akaho, Director General of the Ghana Atomic Energy Commission (GAEC), on Wednesday said the country must draw plans to enable it to explore nuclear energy for electricity generation by 2018 to avert future supply disruptions.

He said the first step for the country to achieve this goal should be the signing and ratification of all international treaties and conventions on nuclear energy.

Does what a Ghanaian Nuclear energy expert contribute sound as if "Ghana is advancing its nuclear for energy project"
?

Anyway guys , I accept Ghana will supply us with electricity despite the facts indicating that this is unlikely. Make una come to una own conclusion as to why A Ghanaian Minister states they will be a "Major exporter" to Nigeria when actual facts seem to indicate that this is dubious at best and misleading at worst .
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by agathamari(f): 9:26am On Aug 07, 2009
i am terrified of nuclear power in nigeria. it will be another chernobyl
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by agathamari(f): 9:33am On Aug 07, 2009
what is the big deal? the us and canada sell electricity to each other all the time without any issue. why is it different here?

i think choices would solve the problem. most countries you have multiple companies who supply power. if you company isnt suppling you power you call one of the others and switch providers. pretty soon the one who cant supply steady power goes out of buisness. causes the companies to compete and try to do better then their rivals.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by ikeyman00(m): 9:35am On Aug 07, 2009
nigeria should never never go nuclear

no amount of loot-tribe cohort will avert things

never never

there are lots of developed countries without nuclear

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Gunmen Attacked A Church In Biu, Borno / Maikanti Baru Emerges Chairman NGA Advisory Board / Lagos AD Governorship Candidate Vows To Challenge Sanwo-olu’s Victory In Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.