Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,345 members, 7,860,887 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 06:07 PM

Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others (12404 Views)

Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others / Malian Jihadist Group Threatens To Attack Nigeria, Others / Ghana Plans To Sell Electricity To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by londoner: 4:07pm On Aug 10, 2009
@thor, you are not being honest. I agree the UK does not have a power problem, but I have witnessed a few power cuts. I was born and raised in the Uk, you and I know both know there have been power cuts, so lets be honest here.

Ghana suppying Nigeria with electricity will be a big shame, but if it helps we should accept. However, for Ghana's citizens to push it in our faces as a show of contempt is a bad thing to do.

You dont see the average Nigerian pushing it in the faces of those who required our military aid, even when we are not thanked for it.

Ghanaians should know that they go against everything Nkrumah stood for when they do that.

Take a look around you, there are countries on our continent who have been making the same strides before you, and do so humbly.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by Gbawe: 5:22pm On Aug 10, 2009
Thor:

Power is a problem all over the West of Africa, that is fact. The point is that if one or another country can provide extra capacity to Nigeria then it has to be a good thing and[b] rivarly should not enter into the equation![/b]

Correct !!! But you fail to note that it is this rivalry (which both sides can be guilty of ) we are speaking against  .It is the rivalry you speak about that has motivated your Minister to make nebulous claims that are dubious at best and deceptive at worst . I have proven he is telling a lie when he states that "Ghana is advancing her nuclear power project" when your foremost nuclear expert is warning the Ghana Govt as at late 2008 that they must begin the basics (i.e ratify the laws) to ensure that Ghana can begin utilising electricity from Nuclear generation by 2018 !!!
Why is your Minister telling such lies? Can any Ghanaian tell us what his motivation is ?

why can't you guys graciously admit that some folks on your side have got carried away with showboating .
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by Thor(m): 5:43pm On Aug 10, 2009
Gbawe:

Correct !!! But you fail to note that it is this rivalry (which both sides can be guilty of ) we are speaking against  .It is the rivalry you speak about that has motivated your Minister to make nebulous claims that are dubious at best and deceptive at worst . I have proven he is telling a lie when he states that "Ghana is advancing her nuclear power project" when your foremost nuclear expert is warning the Ghana Govt as at late 2008 that they must begin the basics (i.e ratify the laws) to ensure that Ghana can begin utilising electricity from Nuclear generation by 2018 !!!
Why is your Minister telling such lies? Can any Ghanaian tell us what his motivation is ?

why can't you guys graciously admit that some folks on your side have got carried away with showboating .

Since when have I been Ghanian
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by Kobojunkie: 5:46pm On Aug 10, 2009
londoner:

@thor, you are not being honest. I agree the UK does not have a power problem, but I have witnessed a few power cuts. I was born and raised in the Uk, you and I know both know there have been power cuts, so lets be honest here.

Ghana suppying Nigeria with electricity will be a big shame, but if it helps we should accept. However, for Ghana's citizens to push it in our faces as a show of contempt is a bad thing to do.

Where you have Ghanian citizens pushing it in our faces as show of contempt though? The few you have here on Nairaland?

londoner:
You dont see the average Nigerian pushing it in the faces of those who required our military aid, even when we are not thanked for it.
Ghanaians should know that they go against everything Nkrumah stood for when they do that.

Take a look around you, there are countries on our continent who have been making the same strides before you, and do so humbly.

The "GHANA MUST GO" period in our history comes to mind @Londoner. You mean we never lauded the fact that our country was more stable than Ghana over the ghanians who sought refuge in our own country back some years ago? lol
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by Gbawe: 5:54pm On Aug 10, 2009
Thor:

Since when have I been Ghanian

Apologies. I thought you were from what you write.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by Nobody: 5:57pm On Aug 10, 2009
Gbawe:

why are you apologizing to this freak?

Does he apologize for the shit that comes out of his brain everytime he types?
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by Thor(m): 6:26pm On Aug 10, 2009
Gbawe:

No problem Gbawe  grin grin grin

Peace and a plentiful supply of power cheesy
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by Thor(m): 6:33pm On Aug 10, 2009
londoner:

Yes, but only if there has been bad weather or a strike and then in certain areas only and maybe once in a ten year period and then for a few hours!

Don't see what the shame will be in it. Ghana already provides some electricity to Togo and Benin

I think there are other subjects, like military aid that Nigerians push in Ghanian faces  grin grin grin

Just like Nigerians have to live with their politicians and their crazy decisions, Ghaninas have to do the same!

A little PR goes a long way  grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by londoner: 7:15pm On Aug 10, 2009
@kobojunkie, the sentiment towards Nigerians is everywhere, not just this site, but ANY site with Ghanaians and Nigerians. I have also lived with Ghanaians, trust me constantly reminding us and themselves of Nigeria's shortcomings is one of their past times.

I do get your point about the Ghana must go episode, but at the time when Ghanaians had to flee to Nigerians, did the average Nigerian wave in their faces that their was shortage of food in Ghana and therefore they had to flee to Nigeria? Is that what you witnessed?

As I understand it, the whole "ghana must go" came a long time after they had been in Nigeria and even after Nigerians were first expelled from Ghana.

I personally dont see the average Nigerian pushing military aid in the face of any Ghanaian neither have I heard Ghanaians complain of such.

@thor the shame is not about Ghana providing electricity, but Nigeria with all that she needs to do the same thing, failing to do so.
a
Ss for power cuts is few and far between, but last year I had threeSundays in a row with no electricity
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by nex(m): 7:25pm On Aug 10, 2009
I don't know why some Nigerians will just want the rest of us to believe that since Adolf Hitler died, there has not been a power cut it the USA or Europe.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by londoner: 7:42pm On Aug 10, 2009
, "since hitler died", that was rather witty.

@Nex I was born and raised in london we have power cuts, but few, people are just trying to do what they always do, paint the west as picture perfect. However, the causes will be different as well as the response of the electricity company. Here they must pay compensation if the power cut is prolonged and you can claim for goods/food that were ruined due to no refrigeration.

Funnily enough, it was shortely after I returned from Naija last time I had a power cut in the UK. I came back cursing Nepa, only to be plunged into darkeness three Sundays in a row, lol

The electricity company did write to warn of the times when it would happen after the second time, thats the difference.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by Kobojunkie: 8:22pm On Aug 10, 2009
londoner:

@kobojunkie, the sentiment towards Nigerians is everywhere, not just this site, but ANY site with Ghanaians and Nigerians. I have also lived with Ghanaians, trust me constantly reminding us and themselves of Nigeria's shortcomings is one of their past times.

I live with Ghanians here and they remind me of how Nigerians dealt unfairly with them when they lived in Nigeria as well. I don’t thnk we need to now make an issue of this at all. It is clear that things seem to have turned around for them considering where they used to be and I think it is natural for some to want to rob it in our face.

londoner:

I do get your point about the Ghana must go episode, but at the time when Ghanaians had to flee to Nigerians, did the average Nigerian wave in their faces that their was shortage of food in Ghana and therefore they had to flee to Nigeria? Is that what you witnessed?

I am not sure where you lived but in some neighborhoods, like mind, we referred to them as “THOSE GHANIANS” sort of like we did the Liberians who ran our way when their country was on fire. I remember in Lagos, there was graffiti calling for the Liberians, and even Ghanaians to be sent back home.

A particular man in our neighborhood lost his school when the government decided to deport all ghanians back over a decade ago or so ago.

I mean it is only natural that out of pride some would turn to rob it in our faces.

londoner:

As I understand it, the whole "ghana must go" came a long time after they had been in Nigeria and even after Nigerians were first expelled from Ghana.

That, I am not sure is the case. I do know that “Ghana must go” did came from people actually feeling frustrated that Ghanaians were taking up most all the jobs and leaving nothing for them.

londoner:

I personally dont see the average Nigerian pushing military aid in the face of any Ghanaian neither have I heard Ghanaians complain of such.

@thor the shame is not about Ghana providing electricity, but Nigeria with all that she needs to do the same thing, failing to do so.
a
Ss for power cuts is few and far between, but last year I had threeSundays in a row with no electricity

If the average Nigerian wanted to do that, I would say he/she should go for it but I really do not think it should be made an issue in this.

If we are really without bias, I would think we would congratulate then for getting where they are today. Supplying electricity to neighboring countries, I don’t believe has to do with having 100% supplies to one’s own. It is more about foreign exchange, the way I see it. If Ghana is able to supply Nigeria, it is able to make money from this, that it is unable to make supplying to its own people and hence it is better able to subsidize supply to its own as a result of profits from supplying Nigeria. (unedited)
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by mamagee6(f): 9:06pm On Aug 10, 2009
tpia.:

why are you apologizing to this freak?

Does he apologize for the shit that comes out of his brain everytime he types?

Quit being downright mean.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by THEAMAKA(f): 9:12pm On Aug 10, 2009
how can ghana supply electricity to nigeria when someone else said that ghana can barely keep on their own light for the population that they have.
look at nigeria's population!! there is no way they can supply enough power.

i remember being in nigeria and the two weeks when i was in the village, the guy came to collect the nepa bill from the neighborhood.
the people next door to my family couldnt pay the bill and it was only like 1200 naira.
they had one big fight and the guy threatened to cut off the power if they didnt pay. lol
they were arguing that NEPA never brought power anyway so why should they pay.
this went on for like 1 hour. then finally they paid.
we still went another week and a half without seeing 5 minutes of power. lol
hahaha.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by Thor(m): 9:17pm On Aug 10, 2009
It is really funny how much we depend on things we never had until recently, power, phones , internet etc. Now when things go off for even 30 minutes we go crazy grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by mamagee6(f): 9:38pm On Aug 10, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Which country, Nigeria or ghana?

Nigeria of course.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by Em2va: 10:40pm On Aug 10, 2009
The truth is Nigeria does not have any problem producing power.
Remove the bad eggs in power and you have power in the real sense
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by Seun(m): 10:42pm On Aug 10, 2009
Nigeria has problems producing power. The solution is simple deregulation. That's the way out.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by Gbawe: 10:47pm On Aug 10, 2009
Below is a response about the issue under discussion by a Ghanaian who says it as it is. This will probably be the typical response of most Ghanaians who are not interested in "cutting their nose to spite their face" when that is precisely what the NDC Government  would be doing if it attempt to sell electricity that is barely enough for Ghanaian consumption.

http://www.modernghana.com/news/231650/1/ghana-supplies-nigeria-electricity.html

ghana is suffering from electricity shortages and this government has the nerves to supply other countries ,while peoples fridges and tvs are getting spoiled by the off and ons.GOD have MERCY.

I guess it is obvious now that the Ghanaians who call a Spade a Spade do not gravitate towards this forum. The simple truth is that Ghana cannot sell even 10 MW currently without this having a negative knock-on effect on domestic power supply . Unless men of the NDC Government are magicians , I really dont see how they have "concluded plans to be a major exporter" of electricity to Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by Gbawe: 11:12pm On Aug 10, 2009
Seun:

Nigeria has problems producing power.  The solution is simple deregulation.  That's the way out.

Indeed. Vested interest and political partisanship will not make this happen anytime soon. Wether they will admit it or not , a lot of indolent, inept and thieving politicians -and they happen to be in the majority to include Yar Adua - will not care for proactive leaders like Fashola, Amaechi and a few others 'showing them up' with the 24/7 electrification of their States if full deregulation of the power sector occurs. Better for all of us to remain in darkness.

Abacha refused to deregulate the telecom sector . Many pleaded with him in vain. Alas death took him out of the way. OBJ should have deregulated the Power sector (as he did telecoms) but his links with the generator and diesel Mafia (Otedola, et al) plus the money "Baba" stood to make from kickbacks and awards of power contract (eg NIPP scheme) meant that OBJ placed self above nation.

Yar Adua will certainly not deregulate the power sector because he knows the Governors who play politics the least (Fashola and some others) will use constant electricity to secure rapid growth and industrialisation for their States. Fashola has already asked for the deregulation of the power sector . I think we can safely assume that Yar Adua will not be doing anything to help Fashola become more popular. Darkness and prehistoric conditions it remains for Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by Nobody: 11:36pm On Aug 10, 2009
,mama-gee:

Quit being downright mean.

I do hope you're typing from youthful ignorance exuberance.

If you want to defend Thor, then you'll suffer with him.

@ Gbawe

mind the kind of psychotic idiots you apologize to on this forum.

Someone who will gladly use your head to play football, doesnt deserve an ounce of respect from anyone who values who they are.

Of course its a free world but consider my post a tip off.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by THEAMAKA(f): 11:43pm On Aug 10, 2009
OOOOOOHHHHH NIGERIANS!!!!!!!

YES WE CAN!!!!!!!

STRONG MEN AND BRAVE WOMEN!!!!

LETS ALL SYNCRONIZE!!!!

COME ON, SING WITH ME!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG8RT-Afukg&feature=related

let the koko mansion girls inspire us all!!!
we nigerians put the bullshit aside.
you people always complain about this and that.
look at the kokoletes singing a peaceful and beautiful song. <3
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by Thor(m): 7:54am On Aug 11, 2009
THE AMAKA:

OOOOOOHHHHH NIGERIANS!!!!!!!

LETS ALL SYNCRONIZE!!!!

COME ON, SING WITH ME!

Maybe we can syncronize, but the girls in the clip should also try and learn the words  grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by molulu(f): 1:21pm On Aug 11, 2009
Ghana is making good progress! we should applaud them even if we can't be happy for them. grin
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by TPIA3: 1:25pm On Aug 11, 2009
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by mamagee6(f): 7:36pm On Aug 11, 2009
I don't see that working with Yarasick as president.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by GeorgeD1(m): 1:36pm On Aug 12, 2009
who is singing with you? are we school children now? grin
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by THEAMAKA(f): 5:43pm On Aug 12, 2009
hahahahahahahha!!

koko mansion girls singing about their country.
lets come together, yes we can, if we try, we'll make it better.
strong men and brave women let us syncronize!!!
lol
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by GeorgeD1(m): 6:07pm On Aug 12, 2009
that's not funny
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by Thor(m): 6:14pm On Aug 12, 2009
TPIA!!:

whoever is doing the banning here, had better not have banned me because of Thor, Michelin, Phemour or any other freak and misfit in this place.

LMAO grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by GeorgeD1(m): 5:54pm On Aug 13, 2009
you're still threading the same path that got you banned in the first place grin
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by Abrantie: 7:07pm On Aug 14, 2009
Stupid Nigerians. We want to rescue you, but your egos are too big and in the way. My Ghana brothers, why do we waste our precious time with these idiots? We've got a nation to build, lets get out of here.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

National Honours Awardees Stranded In Abuja / Card Reader Fails To Recognise Governor Of Adamawa, Ngillari’s Biometrics / Jeremiah Useni: June 12 Was More Credible Than 2019 Presidential Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.