Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,237 members, 7,836,142 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:26 PM

Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others (12380 Views)

Obama Pledges $7bn For Electricity In Nigeria, Others / Malian Jihadist Group Threatens To Attack Nigeria, Others / Ghana Plans To Sell Electricity To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by Kobojunkie: 5:01pm On Aug 04, 2009
[size=14pt]Nigeria: Ghana Plans to Be Major Electricity Exporter to Nigeria, Others[/size]
http://allafrica.com/stories/200908040502.html

[size=13pt]Lagos — Ghana has said at the weekend that arrangements are now in place for it to be "a major exporter" of electricity to Nigeria, which was hitherto supplying gas to it for electricity supply through the West Africa Gas Pipeline arrangement.

The former Gold Coast took Nigeria to the cleaners over epileptic power supply at the fifth Aelex Lecture in Lagos, stating that the country may remain in darkness until its authorities remove politics from its power generation effort.

Ghana's Minister of Energy, Dr. Joe Oteng-Adjei, who stated this through his deputy, Kwaminai Donkor, at a lecture entitled; "How Ghana Kept the Light On," said: "Ghana wants to be a major exporter of electricity and arrangements have been made for this."

Ghana generates just 2, 062 mega watts (MW) against the peak demand of just 1, 350 MW unlike the over 10, 000 MW electricity demand in Nigeria.

Nigeria, he said, has declared a force majoure in its supply of free flow gas to Ghana. "But this in not unexpected, we have, for long, planned alternative for this even before we appended our signatures on the West Africa Gas Pipeline document", he said.

He said Ghana has discovered abundant gas in its West corridor, adding it will not limit its source of power generation to gas.

Fielding questions after the lecture, Oteng-Ojei said electrification in Nigeria should be taken out of partisan politics and be made a national issue.

Ghana, he said, is advancing its nuclear for electricity project, stressing that although Ghana doest not have coal reserves, the country does not rely on gas alone for its electricity generation.

He said: "Mr. Chairman, supply of adequate, reliable and economically priced power supply is vital for the socio-economic development of every nation. It has been observed that the GDP growth rate of a nation has direct relationship with the growth in the per capital electricity consumption.

"The development of the various sectors of the economy, such as industry, agriculture, health, education, tourism, among others, depends heavily on reliable, adequate and economically priced power supply.

"The vision of energy sector of Ghana is to provide adequate and reliable energy supplies to all sectors of the Ghanaian economy to support socio-economic development, poverty reduction and also for export."

According to the Ghanaian minister, "in line with our government's overall vision of reducing poverty and becoming a middle-income country in the near future, the government of Ghana has committed itself to increasing the current installed power generation capacity of about 2, 000 MW to 5, 000 MW in the medium-term (by 2015).

"Let me at this juncture note from experience that whatever we are made aware of our projected power demand, we should not hesitate at all to ensure that the necessary capacity additions are made", he said.[/size]
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by no21: 5:06pm On Aug 04, 2009
i wonder if nigeria will be shameful enough to sign such contract

and ^why are you bolding the whole thing kobo?

we aint blind around here
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by nex(m): 5:12pm On Aug 04, 2009
Nuclear?! I laugh with only my back teeth.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by vigasimple(m): 5:26pm On Aug 04, 2009
First, this is just propaganda and pay back time to the way Nigeria used to humiliate Ghana and Ghanaians in the 80's.

Let me explain, Ghana is only generating just over 2,000MW now and potentially 5,000Mw in 2015, and we need more than 10,000Mw, so how are they going to do that, you cannot give what you don't have.

Now, the other thing is that Nigerian and it's wildly
CORRUPT RIDDEN GOVERNEMNT may be buying HOT AIR and illusion to steal money further from the covers of this country.

Evidence: I watched YAR A'FOOL on his trip to BRAZIL saying they wanted Brazil to now teach us how to increase our power supply and Benue state Governor was their saying that they are now learing from Brazil on how to fix power. up on till this time, 2 years after being in office with PDP govt over 10 years still didn't know how to fix power. PDP NO POWER

So, when this YAR A'CLUELESS is promising 6,000Mw in December 2009 and 10,000Mw in 2011, he is still not sure on how to do it. I, for one knew that the guy is LIEING as he has promised emergency on power within 100 days before and that was over 700days ago, so how do I believe him to do something less than 150days what he has promised before which has not materialise over 700days.

LOGIC is what THIEVES and LIARS DON'T HAVE MOST OF THE TIME
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by beystwin: 5:33pm On Aug 04, 2009
Good intentions, but laughable at the same time. lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by otokx(m): 6:56pm On Aug 04, 2009
Its Ghana's turn to make mouth; carry go.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by invisible2(m): 7:08pm On Aug 04, 2009
serves us right tongue
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by Fhemmmy: 7:19pm On Aug 04, 2009
otokx:

Its Ghana's turn to make mouth; carry go.

this is not a matter of Ghana's turn to make mouth, it is a matter of a leader that refuses to lead, will be led.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by asha80(m): 7:20pm On Aug 04, 2009
grin

Chai nigeria. . . the butt of jokes.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by presido1: 7:25pm On Aug 04, 2009
The day we will face reality is the day chad or niger sign aggrement to suply us Electricity.
"United we Stand" to take rubbish thrown at us by our "United Politicians"
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by asha80(m): 7:26pm On Aug 04, 2009
presido1:

The day we will face reality is the day chad or niger sign aggrement to suply us Electricity.
"United we Stand" to take rubbish thrown at us by our "United Politicians"

shocked grin
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by grafikdon: 7:27pm On Aug 04, 2009
ROTFLMAO!!!. Gazelles will play hide and seek on the back of the leopard that eats vegetables and roots.  grin
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by desgiezd(m): 10:11am On Aug 05, 2009
What an unfortunate swapping of roles. A big for nothing giant of Africa always building her own castles in the air.

A small country like Ghana could think of other alternatives in case gas does not flow as expected to power their electricity but here we built almost ten power plants all based on gas even when we knew the atmosphere in Niger Delta was not conducive for a free flow of gas. Just yesterday I read in the dailies where some unionists accused the Federal Government of deliberately sabotaging the electricity generation as they claimed they advised the Fed Govt to build its electricity plants in such a way that it would be able to run on gas as well as on LPFO (Low Pour Fuel Oil) and use LPFO as an alternative to gas whenever problems arise but the government jettisoned the advise. Now we can generate 4,000Mws of electricity but only have gas to power less than 2,000MWs. This is a nation being led by leaders that have brains only good enough to run hamlets!!
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by nex(m): 10:41am On Aug 05, 2009
When Yar was dreaming up his 7 point agenda, he thought he could simply solve the power problem by going nuclear. However, he did not consider the political implications. If it there were no political and security issues attached with nuclear power production, we would have been able to produce more than 6,000 MW today. From what I know, there's a single nuclear power station in Japan that produces more that 7000 MW on its own. But Yar'Adua mentioned his nuclear plans and the world screamed so the man cowered.

I still believe if we want stable, dependable and sustainable electricity, we must say to hell with everyone else, "China come run this package".

Now, I don't know if the whole world will sit back and watch Ghana embark on production of nuclear power. I don't know.

Another thing that bothers me is that Nigeria still gives out electricity to some neighbouring countries at a subsidized rate. They also pay some of them extra money in millions of dollars. There's a reason for this. It's a very complicated reason, and though it was valid at the point when basically all our power was generated by the Kainji dam, but today we don't know why we do it.

By the time we withdraw the power we are "dashing" these countries and use it for ourselves, then withdraw the gas we're sending to Ghana and use it for our own gas power plants, we'll be able to come up with that 6,000 MW. Then if by or before 2015, we can resolve our nuclear issues, then we should be able to build at least three power plants producing 2,000MW each to add to that before 2020. Of course there's coal which is used all over the world except Nigeria.

We just have to keep our focus on Nuclear and Coal or else we're going nowhere. They're the cheapest sources of electricity today.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by FBS: 11:20am On Aug 05, 2009
If it means constant Electricity supply then why not?
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by JAZES(m): 11:34am On Aug 05, 2009
I wonder when our useless leaders will learn to stop playing politics with everything especially when it comes to the issue of power that all other socio economic issue takes its source from.
May God deliver us from these animals in human skin we call our leaders.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by chukz4real(m): 11:39am On Aug 05, 2009
I suppose Ghana knows what they are diving into. How can a sane man wake up in the morning with N500 note in his pocket and at same time asking for N1,000 change? Wonder never ends in Africa. You are generating about 2,000MW and you want to assist someone in need of about 5,000MW. Since when had Ghana joined the Community of Magical Countries of West Africa for Christ Sake! Anyway, I sit don cross my legs dey look sha. But if na insult Ghana wan take style insult us eh, dsame to dem oooooooo
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by Gbawe: 11:39am On Aug 05, 2009
vigasimple:

First, this is just propaganda and pay back time to the way Nigeria used to humiliate Ghana and Ghanaians in the 80's.  

Let me explain, Ghana is only generating just over 2,000MW now and potentially 5,000Mw in 2015, and we need more than 10,000Mw, so how are they going to do that, you cannot give what you don't have.

Simple !!!! Ghana is improving rapidly and more grease to her elbows but people should not arrogate unto it , because of a desire to humiliate Nigeria , what Ghana cannot physically undertake !!! The Power generation industry is complex in scope but what I want Nigerians to know is that , currently , our grossly inept federal Government stubbornly retains the sole rights to distribute electricity in Nigeria despite the agitations of competent leaders like Fashola for the total deregulation of the power sector that will see a State able to generate and , most importantly, distribute its own power.

This is why many visionary leaders in Nigeria today advocate true federalism. Under true federalism leaders like Fashola would have liberated their zones from the retrogressive and frustrative shackles of a vengeful and self-destructive FG with how they will go on to provide constant electricity and development that will make Nigerians rapidly forget that we ever had an electricity problem.

Many African nations had GSM technology ahead of Nigeria because the deregulation of the Nigerian telecom sector , due to selfish vested interest,  did not happen when it should.!!! After deregulation Nigeria surpassed everyone in Africa in quickly becoming one of the fastest growing telecom sectors in the entire universe !!!

it is us Nigerians impeding our own progress because of selfish, clannish, feudalistic and ethnic interests. When Nigeria gains a visionary , progressive and detribalised leader (like Fashola) as its number one leader then all talks of inadequate power supply will be a thing of the past in a short period of time.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by chrisical(m): 11:43am On Aug 05, 2009
Shame on nigeria.Thought they call themselves giant of africa.Oya Ghana teach them something.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by JAZES(m): 11:52am On Aug 05, 2009
Gbawe:

Simple !!!! Ghana is improving rapidly and more grease to her elbows but people should not arrogate unto it , because of a desire to humiliate Nigeria , what Ghana cannot physically undertake !!! The Power generation industry is complex in scope but what I want Nigerians to know is that , currently , our grossly inept federal Government stubbornly retains the sole rights to distribute electricity in Nigeria despite the agitations of competent leaders like Fashola for the total deregulation of the power sector that will see a State able to generate and , most importantly, distribute its own power.

This is why many visionary leaders in Nigeria today advocate true federalism. Under true federalism leaders like Fashola would have liberated their zones from the retrogressive and frustrative shackles of a vengeful and self-destructive FG with how they will go on to provide constant electricity and development that will make Nigerians rapidly forget that we ever had an electricity problem.

Many African nations had GSM technology ahead of Nigeria because the deregulation of the Nigerian telecom sector , due to selfish vested interest,  did not happen when it should.!!! After deregulation Nigeria surpassed everyone in Africa in quickly becoming one of the fastest growing telecom sectors in the entire universe !!!

it is us Nigerians impeding our own progress because of selfish, clannish, feudalistic and ethnic interests. When Nigeria gains a visionary , progressive and detribalised leader (like Fashola) as its number one leader then all talks of inadequate power supply will be a thing of the past in a short period of time.

@Gbawe
I totally agree with you and thats the point i was trying to make earlier that until we remove politics from sensitive issues like power, Nigeria will only be going round in cycles.
Come to think of it some state Governors have done it before but FG will not allow them.Tinubu tried in Lagos and very recently Dr Bukola Saraki of Kwara State's effort to deliver his state from the claws of PHCN was sabotaged.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by theviper1: 11:56am On Aug 05, 2009
NIGERIA WE HAIL THEE!!! cry cry when u have leaders who are morally bankrupt and devoid of shame,these are the type of news that you get to hear.something gotta give guys.the youth of this nation cannot continue to be held hostage by these selfish few. what rubbish.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by ayobase(m): 12:08pm On Aug 05, 2009
thank you chrisical!
let them teach us something!
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by Afam(m): 12:11pm On Aug 05, 2009
First things first, let us separate the facts from lies and fiction.

Ghana does not have steady power supply and there are Ghanaians today who do not have access to electricity.

Even though Ghana sustained a lie and went on to celebrate 10 years of steady power supply the facts show that such claim was a blatant lie.

A BBC sponsored online program gave a lot of Ghanaians the opportunity to air their views and some of them confirmed that they do not have access to regular electricity.

Now that the lies are out of the way, which way Nigeria?

Unfortunately, politics, corruption and greedy will continue to sustain the status quo as regards the state of power supply in Nigeria unless something drastic happens.

We have more than enough resources both human and natural to generate all the electricity we need in this country. Why we are not doing this right now is what I fail to understand and sometimes I am forced to believe that we have a lot of incompetent, corrupt and wicked people in power taking decisions on our behalf.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by PurestBoy(m): 12:19pm On Aug 05, 2009
chrisical:

Shame on nigeria.Thought they call themselves giant of africa.Oya Ghana teach them something.

Abi, Ghana please provide us power oo and if possible colonize us
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by nex(m): 12:23pm On Aug 05, 2009
@Afam

thank you very much. Some people want Nigeria to disconnect every other city from the national grid, leaving only Lagos and Abuja so that we may have 24 hours electricity in those areas to boast of.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by IFELEKE(m): 12:26pm On Aug 05, 2009
@Topic
See the mess we got into no thanks to these corrupt and grossly inefficient leaders. . .too bad.
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by netotse(m): 12:35pm On Aug 05, 2009
its not going to happen!
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by MUZBO(m): 12:43pm On Aug 05, 2009
Very soon a land-locked country like Mali would begin to sell water to us! Me I won't be surprised o!
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by olapojuo: 1:22pm On Aug 05, 2009
shocked Well,hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.I short of word.Gha gha gha na want to do what.same to Yardua[A man dat can't stand on his promise.Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by manuel(m): 1:25pm On Aug 05, 2009
hmm lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by vigasimple(m): 1:30pm On Aug 05, 2009
Afam:

First things first, let us separate the facts from lies and fiction.

Ghana does not have steady power supply and there are Ghanaians today who do not have access to electricity.

Even though Ghana sustained a lie and went on to celebrate 10 years of steady power supply the facts show that such claim was a blatant lie.

A BBC sponsored online program gave a lot of Ghanaians the opportunity to air their views and some of them confirmed that they do not have access to regular electricity.

Now that the lies are out of the way, which way Nigeria?

Unfortunately, politics, corruption and greedy will continue to sustain the status quo as regards the state of power supply in Nigeria unless something drastic happens.

We have more than enough resources both human and natural to generate all the electricity we need in this country. Why we are not doing this right now is what I fail to understand and sometimes I am forced to believe that we have a lot of incompetent, corrupt and wicked people in power taking decisions on our behalf.

I agreed with everything you said 100%.

CORRUPTION, INCOMPETENCE, DISHONESTY, INEPT, CONSPIRACY TO REFUSE TO RULE NIGERIA PROPERLY, AWFUL LEADERSHIP.  THOSE ARE THE ILLS OF THIS COUNTRY.

AMONG THEM ALL, THE MOST DISTURBING IS CORRUPTION, CORRUPTION, CORRUPTION and who can arrest me, I am above the law snydrom and mentality. The government has almost  brought  even all the decent people 'to chop and chop party' called PDP

Unfortunately, this is the time you need a strong leader, but what we have got is a YAR A'CLUELESS. A president who does not know his left from his right hand.

Everyday is for the thief, one day is for the owner, REVOLUTION is what we need and one day we will get it. All I prayed for , is that it is sooner than later, but surely it will happen.

The party will soon be over for 'pregnant men', who never deliver monies stored in their stomach for the last 40 something years since our independence.  shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigeria: Ghana Plans To Be Major Electricity Exporter To Nigeria, Others by DisGuy: 1:41pm On Aug 05, 2009
nex:

When Yar was dreaming up his 7 point agenda, he thought he could simply solve the power problem by going nuclear. However, he did not consider the political implications. If it there were no political and security issues attached with nuclear power production, we would have been able to produce more than 6,000 MW today. From what I know, there's a single nuclear power station in Japan that produces more that 7000 MW on its own. But Yar'Adua mentioned his nuclear plans and the world screamed so the man cowered.

I still believe if we want stable, dependable and sustainable electricity, we must say to hell with everyone else, "China come run this package".

Now, I don't know if the whole world will sit back and watch Ghana embark on production of nuclear power. I don't know.

Another thing that bothers me is that Nigeria still gives out electricity to some neighbouring countries at a subsidized rate. They also pay some of them extra money in millions of dollars. There's a reason for this. It's a very complicated reason, and though it was valid at the point when basically all our power was generated by the Kainji dam, but today we don't know why we do it.

By the time we withdraw the power we are "dashing" these countries and use it for ourselves, then withdraw the gas we're sending to Ghana and use it for our own gas power plants, we'll be able to come up with that 6,000 MW. Then if by or before 2015, we can resolve our nuclear issues, then we should be able to build at least three power plants producing 2,000MW each to add to that before 2020. Of course there's coal which is used all over the world except Nigeria.

We just have to keep our focus on Nuclear and Coal or else we're going nowhere. They're the cheapest sources of electricity today.

I don't think we can produce 6000MW of electricity from nuclear in just two year
and we have no option but to 'dash' these other countries because if they had built a dam on the river Niger in their country, the water would
not be enough for use to build anything or perhaps it might even alter course of the river

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

New Video of Training, Martyrdom Statements : Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab / South-East Governors Meet Over 2015 / COVID-19: Breaking News Abba Kyari Confirmed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.