Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,147 members, 7,815,016 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:51 AM

Chimmanda Adichie And Her Misguided Feminist Ideas - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Chimmanda Adichie And Her Misguided Feminist Ideas (560 Views)

Angela Nwosu Smoking: "I Am Not A Wife Material, I Am Not A Feminist" / Most Anti Feminist Women R Sex Starved / I Am A Feminist!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chimmanda Adichie And Her Misguided Feminist Ideas by osayflex24(m): 4:48am On Apr 18, 2016
Read this article on the controversial ted talk by chimamanda adichie and it is interesting I just took a part of it. But to read the whole article go to this site saharareporters.com/2014/07/29/adichies-feminism-vacuums-and-fallacies-gonzaga

Adichie’s Feminism: Vacuums And
Fallacies By A. Gonzaga
The general tendency of Adichie spitting out her half-baked opinions on just about every subject is worrying for reasons much more serious than
their mere shallowness. It’s always a shamefulthing to see Internet users—who don’t pretend tobe intellectuals—submitting in the comment sections of publications counter-opinions that make mincemeat of those presented and promoted by the ‘intellectual’.

There has been much backlash towards
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s ‘feminist’ views,
as well as towards her tasteless style of
performance.
Chimamanda Adichie
I have, until now, wanted to stay out of the
debate, mainly because of her arguments being pathetic as opposed to well-thought-out. But as the conversation has grown on social media—it seems to linger eternally, for Adichie keeps fuelling it with her well-timed, divisive remarks—I realise thoroughly the significance of the debate per se, and the need for me to partake in it. I should mention here that because of certain factors I consider myself well-positioned to examine and to present opinions on the matters in question.
1) The first is that the Igbo culture of south-
eastern Nigeria, which Adichie constantly
attempts to exploit to support her positions, is
equally mine.
2) I left Nigeria to study and settle overseas at
about the same age as Adichie. I left Nigeria for
Finland at the age of 20, in 2005, and she left
Nigeria for the US at the age of 19, eight years
before. She’s currently 36. I’m 29. Indeed, one
might wonder why leaving Nigeria as a young
person is pertinent, and I’ll explain as we proceed.
3) I have since been an integrated member of a
society, country and region where the goal of
feminism was first realised, and where it has
thrived the most—in short and in fact: where it
originated and has achieved its ultimate goal. I’m
talking of Finland and the larger Scandinavia. (I
should state clearly that I live in Finland, visit
Nigeria often, and now write to you from Finland.)
I intend to tackle this issue supporting my points
with ‘the age factor’ and ‘the fact that I can claim a
better practical knowledge of feminism than
Adichie can.’ I’ll make references where
necessary, however, to the first factor of ‘the Igbo culture being equally mine’.
Adichie said we should all be feminists, backing that call with a series of shallow points—the most controversial of which was her argument that
‘Nigerians raise girls wrongly and in ways that
make them feel guilty for being born girls’.
I heard this and it troubled me. I had to wonder which societies she speaks of: were they the southern Nigerian ones of the Igbo and Yoruba, or the northern ones? For, as most Igbo adults know, women are today better educated in Igboland than the men. And even when it comes to employment after graduation—there isn’t much to be had in the country in the way of career opportunities, irrespective of one’s gender.
Folks are being trained for economic areas that do not exist in Nigeria. But even so, the few employment opportunities in Nigeria today

Not
long ago I tried having a conversation on
feminism with a black South African feminist—
herself a writer just like Adichie. She was
incapable of submitting a single point that was
valid. In the end she gave a miserable example of a girl in rural South Africa who, on her way to school, has to stop at a river to wash herself because she isn’t furnished with sanitary pads by her parents. When I asked whether this was a case of gender inequality or plain poverty, she responded by exiting the conversation.
Although I never took Adichie seriously from the get-go, a certain reaction of hers did put the final nail in the coffin as far as my assessment of her opinions goes. That ultimate event took place very close to where I live, in Sweden precisely. Adichie
was visiting a gathering there, and when a
member of the audience asked for her judgment of the Swedish society and people, she answered that she hadn’t been very impressed. Her reason was that as she struggled with multiple bags in a
hotel elevator, citizens stood by and watched who could have helped or simply offered to assist her.
Such a thing wouldn’t have happened in her
beloved Nigeria, she said.
The guests were unimpressed with her reaction, and I quickly discerned her misguided belief in eating her cake and having it too. Adichie is ignorant of the unnerving truism that in the genuinely feminist countries, like up here in Scandinavia, women and men cater to their own needs and nobody gives a real damn about anybody. How does she expect to be a hard-core feminist and still want other humans to assist her
in carrying her bags? Seeing that particular video clip, I knew immediately of her unfamiliarity with the fact that at the very core of the idea of feminism, lies the most advanced form of selfishness the world has ever known.
Feminism has been my reality for all of my adult life. Well over ninety per cent of Scandinavian
females are inherently feminist—it’s our rule, not the exception—so I do know what I speak of. And so if we agree that feminism typically starts out as a journey, then it’s accurate to indicate that Scandinavia has long reached the final destination of that journey. The simple facts of life up here, which I’ll now present and of which Adichie and her fellow African feminists appear to be unaware, should enable the very same Africans,
who’ve been under her constant onslaught, to
envisage their society’s future if they should be gullible enough to toe the feminist line.
The women of Finland were the first in the entire world to be granted the ballot. The year was 1906.
Norway followed in 1913. And then Denmark and Iceland in 1915. But one can always juxtapose for the purposes of clarity. On August 26, 1920—
fourteen years after Finland did it—the 19th
Amendment granted the ballot to American
women. In February 1918 British women over the
age of 30 received the right to vote, but suffrage
rights for men and women were not equalised
before 1928 in that country my Nigerian
compatriots think is their God—that’s 22 years
after Finland took the step. France was in 1944.
Belgium, Italy, Romania, and Yugoslavia were in
1946. Switzerland was only in 1971—and that’s six
years before Adichie was born—while
Liechtenstein, a country in the very heart of
Europe, had to wait until 1984, my year of birth.
Approaching independence, both the men and
the women of Nigeria voted jointly in 1951—and
it was the first time for each of the sexes. In other
words, there was never a time in the history of
Nigeria when only men were allowed to vote. I
should also emphasise that Nigerian women were
20 years ahead of their Swiss equals.
As a people who initiated feminism and have
finally arrived at the journey’s final destination—a
state of existence completely unimaginable to the
likes of Adichie—this is how we live as
Scandinavians:
1. There is no chivalry left in the land. Men opendoors for themselves. Women open for
themselves. Anything other than that is foreign and the exception, not the rule.
2. Men pay their bills. Women pay theirs. A
couple visits a café, the man pays for his coffee and the lady pays for hers. Anything other than that is foreign and the exception, not the rule.
3. Men do not compliment women. Instead,
because men and women are engaged in an
eternal battle for equality, each party expects to be complimented. Anything other than that is foreign and the exception, not the rule.
4. Like the French and the Germans jointly told Britain when that island nation pushed to
renegotiate its EU membership conditions: The European Union as an organisation isn’t an à la carte setting where one enters and decides what to take and what to omit. You either are fully in, or fully out. Put differently: there’s no such thing
as cherry picking when attempting to adopt
feminism. You can’t say ‘I want that aspect of it,
but not the other one’. It is and will always be a
chain of realities—imperceptibly linked—and
once you try securing an element, be sure to
welcome the rest which will inevitably follow.
5. We Scandinavians have championed the
feminist cause since time immemorial. Still, our
women over here have yet to invent anything
beyond roadside hair salons. The national
innovation coffers are accessible to both sexes
equally. But it’s the men who continue to invent
and innovate and help this region maintain its
spot as the leading innovator globally. That’s to
say that there is no proof that feminism could
turn women into the world’s top inventors of
things and founders of top companies. The reality
in Finland, after one hundred years of feminism
and equal opportunities, is that men alone still
found the major companies whose taxes take
care of the nation, and when such firms employ
women it isn’t purely for their skills but also for
the sake of diversity.
6. Unfortunate rivalry or war between the sexes
is big in our homes and workplaces.
7. Our families are often broken and passionate
love is now foreign or the exception.
8. It’s not uncommon for our children to be
victimised by battling parents, and for them to be
eventually raised by the government.
9. We no longer make enough offspring to
perpetuate our civilisation.
10. And finally: there is little to zero love,
kindness, and humaneness left around here. We
seem to have stifled all of it with the warring
energy we’ve been emitting for the past hundred
years. This was the reason nobody thought it
necessary to assist Adichie in carrying her bags in
Sweden. Any citizen who argues the opposite is
either delusional or merely lying.
I’m wrapping up and probing: Do I enjoy having
such a gloomy reality as a member of the Finnish
society? I certainly don’t. Can I live with it? I have
been living with it and am now very used to
having it as my reality. But would I like to see the
same system replicated in Nigeria—my first
country? The answer is a strong no. Tellingly,
when Adichie was then asked in Sweden about
how she sees Nigeria evolving and the sort of
society it might eventually become; she answered
that she hopes it evolves into its own kind of
society and doesn’t resemble the Swedish one.
Rather shamefully, this was the same Adichie who
fights tooth and nail to export Scandinavia’s
feminism to that same beloved Nigeria—her only
refuge, my only refuge, from the madness of our
joint Western existence. And she’s eager to wreak
havoc over there in Nigeria with her tireless
presentation of impulsive sermons, keen to upset
the balance, and one suspects it’s also because
she’s desperate to sell more books—at the
expense of her own people’s lives and happiness
now and later.

2 Likes

Re: Chimmanda Adichie And Her Misguided Feminist Ideas by chynie: 4:57am On Apr 18, 2016
Long though, I struggled to read all grin
But I stand with you

She is a good speaker but I think she is a bit biased too
Re: Chimmanda Adichie And Her Misguided Feminist Ideas by redcliff: 5:48am On Apr 18, 2016
In patience jonathan's voice, " i'm witch you!". You who fully read this post is the man who seeks more knowlegde!!!
Re: Chimmanda Adichie And Her Misguided Feminist Ideas by Nelkoko: 6:05am On Apr 18, 2016
I used almost 30min to read dis article and happy i did.... But e go good wey feminism happen 4 9ja oooo so dat dem babes NO go dey swindle guy with making hair n chopin out.
Re: Chimmanda Adichie And Her Misguided Feminist Ideas by Nobody: 7:02am On Apr 18, 2016
Nelkoko:
I used almost 30min to read dis article and happy i did.... But e go good wey feminism happen 4 9ja oooo so dat dem babes NO go dey swindle guy with making hair n chopin out.
I dumped my ex fast cos of this.
I foot bills whenever we go out, pay your t-fare when you come around sometimes, yet you wanna form gender equality.
Before saying one word you've said ten, bae even wanted to share plate washing responsibility with me. Not like I can't do it on my own volition, but a situation you come around eat in my apartment and dump the dirty plates in the kitchen and leave feeling nothing is wrong with that, Calling me a chauvinist for complaining about it is unacceptable.
My point is, they can't survive what it takes to be a feminist, they are just copy cats and they are fcking lazy.
Dumped her sorry ass fast, abi how do I explain to God I turned to "gbewudani" when he made me the head.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Love & Sex / What Do We Call This? Man Fills His Jeep With Tomatoes / Get Connected

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.