Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,258 members, 7,953,992 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 10:26 AM

5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin (72075 Views)

English Words You Have Been Using Wrongly As A Nigerian!!! / 9 English Words You Might Be Pronouncing Incorrectly / 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by oshaosha2014(m): 7:08pm On Apr 19, 2016
I know KUKU to be from Yoruba. And YEYE, as someone said, I believe is from Yoruba too. Oni yeye enikan ni e sha - sha is from Yoruba too. This is the real Yoruba spelling - "SA"
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by DerKaiser: 7:09pm On Apr 19, 2016
One unique thing about the Nigerian pidgin english that even some of its most ardent speakers do not recognise is:

It makes no use of verbs in the "past tense".

Both current and past events can be expressed using verbs in the present tense.

Example: you don go? - have you gone/ been there?

Answer: No I dey go now - No I am leaving now.

You can never hear, you don went there?

All pidgin English verbs are in the "present" form.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by masseratti: 7:11pm On Apr 19, 2016
olaitoro:

go back to the comment you quoted and read it again,

since yeye is used to mock or for fun, adeyeye definately will mean funny king's crown

hahahaa

yeye is from Igbo word eyiye which means stupidity or silliness.
adeyeye and yeye in yoruba are spelt differently and pronounced differently with different meaning,adeyeye strictly mean crown that is the Ade part,the yeye part is glory,the other part yeye if written in yoruba has dot under the e while the former in adeyeye does not have a dot.

What you are trying to derive from in igbo does not correlate yeye is not derive from any word its yoruba pure and simple in its direct form.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by FanYogo1(f): 7:14pm On Apr 19, 2016
olaitoro:

my brother, dont be emotional.
Igbos also laugh at yoruba name with NIKE and NIYI, because of their funny meaning in Igbo langauge.

As for now it has been established that yeye is from Igbo word EYIYE, which means silliness or stupidity.

henryhemon:

Dude you 've no shame you turn even joke to tribalism,use common sense no tribe is better than another cuz we 've no hand in our creation but crazy people like you think they're a better specie cuz you found yourself in a locality,grow up.

It's okay if the Igbos want to claim a language that's phonetically better than Igbo, but just know the root of the language you want to steal.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Jabioro: 7:20pm On Apr 19, 2016
The word "KUKU" is a Yoruba language .It means just kill me instead.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by oseiwe(m): 7:24pm On Apr 19, 2016
Codedrock:
Well, you didn't mention their origins like you promised.
The likes of "Kuku"" Mama" "Yeye" "Baba" "Abi" "Shey" "Oya" "ni" and more are all Yoruba words... I think they are the most used pidgin words in Nigeria today.

AND PLS.. WHO IS THIS PERSON below??

Edited:

Aah.... na so dem quick dey still person language?? "Yeye and Mama" are real Yoruba words not even slangs... Oga u are confused... I'm sure u are not a real Igbo person and if u are... I'm sure u don tey for Lagos.

PS: original pidgin originated in Warri
D way una take dey say pidgin originate for warri dey make person tire, but warri sabi uproot slangs sha, bfor u go catch up, e don reign go.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by larrytorch(m): 7:28pm On Apr 19, 2016
olaitoro:

what is the meaning of yeye in yoruba ?

Have you seen Igbos laughing at the name AdeYEYE before or not?

Be sincere

if you have seen such senerio, why do you think they are laughing ?
Mama in op context does not denote mother but rain 'drenge'

knack is an english word, but its use in pidgin takes shape from Igbo langauge as I explain in the comment you quoted.

The YEYE in AdeYEYE is not pronounced as d 'YEYE' u r talking about. And I've never seen any igbo that laughs at dat name. ciao

3 Likes

Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by larrytorch(m): 7:42pm On Apr 19, 2016
olaitoro:

why do you think Igbos laugh at any yoruba name with yeye in it ?

Ur argument is baseless. How can u establish a fact when der r evidences showing otherwise. how can you term EYIYE(although it might have the same meaning with yeye) with YEYE when it is clear that d YEYE is the same and spelt with the yoruba YEYE? common sense bro ! I'm not a tribalist bro. I work with evidences

1 Like

Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by PaulJohn1: 7:44pm On Apr 19, 2016
koastar:
@Op,
"kuku" is a Yoruba word incorporated into pidgin English which means "just" in English. e.g "kuku ma lo" meaning "just go",
Also "yeye" is another Yoruba word infused into pidgin English which means "funny" or "foolish" in English. e.g "oro yeye ni Tunde ro" meaning " Tunde's statements are foolish"

This your dialect get as e be. The whole sentence doesn't sound correct, but ''Ejo yeye ni Tunde ro'' still sounds more appropriate (for standard yourba).
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Funkybabee(f): 7:44pm On Apr 19, 2016
when Igbo dey claim yeye now and kuku so what about shakara

shakara re po

some people shaaa!!!!
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Mann11: 7:45pm On Apr 19, 2016
bnanzip:
Okon, the king of Pidgin English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJY94xQG_bE

Pidgin English is the only language in which there is no mistake at all, any mistake you make is correct.
Where you be go? = correct
Where you come go? = correct
Where you be follow? = correct
Where you go nah? = correct?
Anything you say is always correct
CAPITAL NO! Pidgin English is not error-free. Tell me how well the pidgin paragraph below augurs. " As I dey waka went market yesterday, I come met maisuya on the road. As I dey came back, I come saw a beautiful girl"
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Topmaike007(m): 7:46pm On Apr 19, 2016
Codedrock:
Well, you didn't mention their origins like you promised.
The likes of "Kuku"" Mama" "Yeye" "Baba" "Abi" "Shey" "Oya" "ni" and more are all Yoruba words... I think they are the most used pidgin words in Nigeria today.

AND PLS.. WHO IS THIS PERSON below??

Edited:

Aah.... na so dem quick dey still person language?? "Yeye and Mama" are real Yoruba words not even slangs... Oga u are confused... I'm sure u are not a real Igbo person and if u are... I'm sure u don tey for Lagos.

oga park well mama is originated 4rm france abi u no do french 4 sch?papa and mama na french language and in naijeria z only the igbo that use the papa and mama tinz
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by nuradeen011(m): 7:50pm On Apr 19, 2016
prinsam30:
The origin of pigin English is EDO state

by the way, pigin English should be taught in schools, because all these long unfinished trials wey we dey get for court, in the case of saraki, dasuki and Co na too much grammar dey delay dem.

if na pigin English I'm very sure two or three person for don dey serve already either for kirikiri or guje prison
i laugh tire for dis ur comment but u are true seriously

1 Like

Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by prinsam30: 7:54pm On Apr 19, 2016
nuradeen011:
i laugh tire for dis ur comment but u are true seriously
my guy gaskiya ne ko?
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by PaulJohn1: 7:58pm On Apr 19, 2016
femi4:
You will keep laughing cos you lack understanding of the language.
Let me break it down for you:

ADEYEYE = ADE + YE + OYE which simply means The title (OYE) deserves a crown (ADE)

And its not pronounced as yeye (both Es with dot and means "unserious person in Yoruba. E.g Oniyeye), The "YEYE in Adeyeye is pronounced as YEye (only first E carries dot)

Writing it the way it should be is enough to convince the dude that they are different words.

Yẹ̀yẹ́- Ridicule, funny, joke.
Adéyẹyè - (name)

The 'yeye'(s) have different punctuations.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by lamabiade(m): 8:02pm On Apr 19, 2016
"YEYE" is a yoruba word meaning LAUGH AT, Oniyeye means worthless or somebody to laugh at, "KUKU"is also yoruba word, it is used as supplementary word to a verb in some situation, O kuku ti je tan- you have finished eating it, other words like "OGA" "ABI"/SHEBI are also yoruba words.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by 12month: 8:13pm On Apr 19, 2016
Add these trending ones in lagos

Mah goh

Gberaa

Short1

Wose wobi

1 Like

Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by masseratti: 8:14pm On Apr 19, 2016
Funkybabee:
when Igbo dey claim yeye now and kuku so what about shakara

shakara re po

some people shaaa!!!!
i dont think shakara is yoruba in any form,would love to know the etymology.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by oboy3(m): 8:15pm On Apr 19, 2016
Tey in pidgin english is also Igbo,,,,,,
e.g Guy e don tey oo,,,,
for example an Igbo will say O tena/tela m furu gi

and Owu meaning to be broke,e.g owu dey blow me,,,,remember the song Owu sa gi by wizzboy
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Funkybabee(f): 8:20pm On Apr 19, 2016
masseratti:
i dont think shakara is yoruba in any form,would love to know the etymology.

shakara is derived from soge hope u understand Yoruba language

ologe onishakara. they normally follow each other

1 Like

Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Codedrock(m): 8:35pm On Apr 19, 2016
Topmaike007:
oga park well mama is originated 4rm france abi u no do french 4 sch?papa and mama na french language and in naijeria z only the igbo that use the papa and mama tinz
Sorry oo.. but in Yoruba language we have words like Baba and Mama Or Iya. Many people in this world use that word "mama" but all depends on how you pronounce it. And in the Nigerian pidgin English the pronunciation of "mama" is in the Yoruba way...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by masseratti: 8:51pm On Apr 19, 2016
Funkybabee:

shakara is derived from soge hope u understand Yoruba language

ologe onishakara. they normally follow each other
ologe alako,i cant find anywhere in yoruba language pre 60s with the word shakara in it,maybe you are right when you consider on she oge ara,i think shakara might be derive from dat,se ako ara.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by FanYogo1(f): 8:54pm On Apr 19, 2016
masseratti:
ologe alako,i cant find anywhere in yoruba language pre 60s with the word shakara in it,maybe you are right when you consider on she oge ara,i think shakara might be derive from dat,se ako ara.

And where did you look?

It's funny how non-Yorubas now know what is and what is not a Yoruba word. It's like you guys are just realizing how Yorubas have colonized pidgin English and trying to deny it lmao grin.

And dude, Yorubas are always evolving and making up words that later becomes popular; skelewu, skibobo, badoo, shakitibobo. 50years from now, una go claim these words.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by masseratti: 8:59pm On Apr 19, 2016
oboy3:
Tey in pidgin english is also Igbo,,,,,,
e.g Guy e don tey oo,,,,
for example an Igbo will say O tena/tela m furu gi

and Owu meaning to be broke,e.g owu dey blow me,,,,remember the song Owu sa gi by wizzboy

haba owu na yoruba ooo,it means lack ,famine or drought,owu mu ni ile yi meaning there is no money or economy is down in this land,

I think tey is corrupt form of late,tey tey,long time ago or late o tena or tela has no correlation with Igbo tey is corruption of the eglish word late.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by kemelyt: 9:01pm On Apr 19, 2016
My guy leave that matter, "Shaun" that matter.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by masseratti: 9:03pm On Apr 19, 2016
FanYogo1:

And where did you look?

It's funny how non-Yorubas now know what is and what is not a Yoruba word. It's like you guys are just realizing how Yorubas have colonized pidgin English and trying to deny it lmao grin.

And dude, Yorubas are always evolving and making up words that later becomes popular; skelewu, skibobo, badoo, shakitibobo. 50years from now, una go claim these words.
Ogbeni am Yoruba so pls let it slide.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by MamaOO: 9:05pm On Apr 19, 2016
olaitoro:

my brother, dont be emotional.
Igbos also laugh at yoruba name with NIKE and NIYI, because of their funny meaning in Igbo langauge.

As for now it has been established that yeye is from Igbo word EYIYE, which means silliness or stupidity.
Established by who? Stop displaying your lack of knowledge of Yoruba language here. Yeye is a Yoruba word, everybody knows that.

1 Like

Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by FanYogo1(f): 9:11pm On Apr 19, 2016
masseratti:
Ogbeni am Yoruba so pls let it slide.

The same 'Yoruba' that asked seun to reconsider rule 9 even though prior to the establishment of that rule, Biafrans were destroying your identity online. Just as you're aiding them now. Yoruba ko Fon ni. Keep pointing at your father's house with your middle finger.

1 Like

Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by tintingz(m): 9:18pm On Apr 19, 2016
olaitoro:

why do you think Igbos laugh at any yoruba name with yeye in it ?
You are very ignorant of languages and pronunciation.

Someone has explained Adeyeye to you, you're still repeating same thing about Igbo's laughing at the name. ADE means crown while YEYE(YE-OYĘ) means title. The pronunciation is different from yeye(funny, joke)

For your info Yorubas also find names like Oko-cha, Oko-ro as funny names because Oko in Yoruba is penís, Chidi in Yoruba is búttock(idi). So it is by individual tribal tongue.

1 Like

Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by masseratti: 9:21pm On Apr 19, 2016
FanYogo1:

The same 'Yoruba' that asked seun to reconsider rule 9 even though prior to the establishment of that rule, Biafrans were destroying your identity online. Just as you're aiding them now. Yoruba ko Fon ni. Keep pointing at your father's house with your middle finger.
i think comprehension is your problem if not then i cant help you cos i dont know exactly why you are ranting talking about pointing fingers,scroll up and read my post and tell me when and how i denegrade yoruba.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Nobody: 9:22pm On Apr 19, 2016
KashyBaby:

Ayaaayay! What is biko? Coz if u ask me "Biko" in Filipino is a kind of food.... grin
oh really .. what kinda food is that?? I am curious
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 9:26pm On Apr 19, 2016
Most words in pidgin English are coined from Yoruba language

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Snakes Take Over Auchi Polytechnic, Student Runs Out Unclad From Bathroom / Share Your 2015 JAMB Result Here / What's The English Name Of Moimoi?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.